As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Probably-dumb question about staying in a hostel

CalicaCalica Registered User regular
I'm joining the Women's March on Washington the day after the inauguration. I will be sleeping here, in a co-ed bunkroom, because even a month ago that was the only bed available anywhere near downtown DC for less than $1500. (Yes, even taking public transportation into account.)

This will be my first time staying in a hostel stateside. I did it several times when I was in New Zealand and never had a problem, but NZ has a strong network (rather, several overlapping networks) of well-run hostels and intercity buses geared specifically toward young travelers. I am a 5'5", 140 lb woman. How worried should I be about sleeping in a room with a handful of strange dudes?

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Presumably they won't all be men, especially with the events going on in the area during that time. I think there are a few people on the forums who live in DC who may have more specific information, if I can remember names I'll batsignal them.

dispatch.o on
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    ...how long are you staying? There are some hotel rooms way cheaper than 1500 if your only staying for a week.

After looking at that hostel you can do better, look at getting a place Springfield va. The best western is close to the metro (1.4 miles) and it's about 170 a night in your time frame. There are even cheaper ones within 10 miles which is cab accessible.

zepherin on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Do you have to be in the city?

Prices drop dramatically south of the city

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I'm only there for two nights, January 20th and 21st. Prices apparently increase nearly tenfold that weekend. Even budget places are upward of $500 per night, when they're a quarter of that on other dates,

edited December 2016
    Calica wrote: »
    I'm only there for two nights, January 20th and 21st. Prices apparently increase nearly tenfold that weekend. Even budget places are upward of $500 per night, when they're a quarter of that on other dates,
    Check extended stay America fairfax I got them at 200 bucks a night, and it's a quick cab ride to the metro. Marriott falls church is 359 a night same thing

Extended stay isn't the greatest hotel, but it's way better than a DC hostel.

zepherin on
  • twentycenturiestwentycenturies Registered User regular
    I live with two other nerds in DC and we'd be happy to give you a spare room or set up an air mattress or something. I PM'd you about it, if it helps!

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Depending on the times you're doing things staying in Baltimore and taking the Penn line train down to DC's Union Station is doable. It takes about an hour to go from BWI to DC. The only real downside is the weekend has limited operating hours. But a hotel would only cost around $200 dollars a night. Alternatively you could take an uber at the cost of about $100 round trip. I don't know how those costs compare to the hostel you've picked.

I took @zepherin's advice to stay at Extended Stay America in Fairfax. Thanks everyone!

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Awesome! Good luck at the march and keep warm. If you have any questions about places to go or how to get around there are a bunch of us around the forum that can help.

edited January 2017
    @calica just one thing, the inauguration may be packed, make sure to hit the metro or uber early in the morning. March starts at 10 plan to get to the march at least as early as 8 maybe earlier depending on metro lines. It's kind of a cool area where you are gathering.

If your lucky it'll be like when the pope came to town...there was no traffic.

zepherin on
    Yeah, I plan to be on the metro as soon as the trains start running that morning.