As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] New Year, New Dungeons, Same Ol' Bane

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    I don't know anything about Eclipse Phase but some of their PDFs are going for a dollar right now.

http://eclipsephase.com/eclipse-phase-new-year-sale

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    All Eclipse Phase PDFs are free to download as they're creative commons, so that's odd

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    All Eclipse Phase PDFs are free to download as they're creative commons, so that's odd

I thought just the core book was free to download.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Geth roll 6#4d6k3 for Stats

Stats:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 11 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 1], 1] 17 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 5], 1] 9 [4d6k3=[3, 3, 3], 3] 10 [4d6k3=[6, 3, 1], 1] 13 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 2], 1] 9 [4d6k3=[4, 3, 2], 1]

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So, sat down and made 4 Star Wars chars based on what my players seemed interested in. Can someone have a glance through them and see if the group seems semi tenable/not entirely terrible builds?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzLVdwK69AioTkswWWQxMDVZaUE

Incidentally my game thread will go up tonight guys, didn't realise I'd be trapped at my Nan's all day today :P

Honestly after making those I definitely get the impression that humans are the 'best' race if you're new to the game.

They just get so much, 110xp, two extra skills and 2 in every stat is a lot of value. Even if it's spread around a bit.

So, sat down and made 4 Star Wars chars based on what my players seemed interested in. Can someone have a glance through them and see if the group seems semi tenable/not entirely terrible builds?

Crotch height headbutts are the most optimized headbutts you can have. I approve.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Honestly after making those I definitely get the impression that humans are the 'best' race if you're new to the game.

They just get so much, 110xp, two extra skills and 2 in every stat is a lot of value. Even if it's spread around a bit.

Depends if you're using the higher stats, if you do, they're deffo worth it.

Fuselage wrote: »

Crotch height headbutts are the most optimized headbutts you can have. I approve.

I was torn between no weapon or dumb weapon for the droid.

Dumb weapon won out.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

R5-PT - I think you skilled them as a Technician (Mechanic) before switching to Engineer (Mechanic) - I like the Engineer (Mechanic) skills a little better. I'd go with Computers, Knowledge (Education), Mechanics x2, Piloting (Space) x2, Ranged (Light), and Vigilance personally.

Huh? I'm only using Age of Rebellion so there's no way for me to have skilled him as a Technician. Though which skills are an error?

Huh? I'm only using Age of Rebellion so there's no way for me to have skilled him as a Technician. Though which skills are an error?
    R5-PT has a couple ranks in non-Career Skills (Astrogation, Piloting (Planetary)). Since those are Career Skills for the Technician (Mechanic), I figured you probably started them as Technician then switched over to Engineer. If I'm wrong, no worries; they just need those two Skills switched to Career Skills then they're good to go.

I paid XP for those to make sure the group had those skills. It's a tad inefficient but someone had to cover the ace aspect a bit.

I paid XP for those to make sure the group had those skills. It's a tad inefficient but someone had to cover the ace aspect a bit.
    Ah, then R5-PT is light a few Skills. Droids get 6 Career Skills (instead of the usual 4) and 3 Specialization Skills (instead of the usual 2). AoR p54 has the details, under the Special Abilities bullet point.

Made thread. It's a leeeeettle scratchy because I've rushed it together but hopefully the campaign setting looks good! I'll add more stuff tomorrow because today has been a write off essentially for any sort of planning

Linky

jdarksun wrote: »
    Ah, then R5-PT is light a few Skills. Droids get 6 Career Skills (instead of the usual 4) and 3 Specialization Skills (instead of the usual 2). AoR p54 has the details, under the Special Abilities bullet point.

Oh yeah! Will fix that tommorow. Nice catch, I was bound to miss something.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Started doing some early work on a custom campaign setting. I usually find myself getting overwhelmed when I make custom settings because I try to define EVERYTHING before i even start thinking of adventures. But this time I am going to follow the 'bullseye' method and just create one small area then work outward as needed. Here is the map of the first area (I am currently filling in the features within).

The area is called "The Chalice"

28lxrgtlo2jq.png

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    I'm pretty sure I see where the Chalice spilled over once or twice. Very cool.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Started doing some early work on a custom campaign setting. I usually find myself getting overwhelmed when I make custom settings because I try to define EVERYTHING before i even start thinking of adventures. But this time I am going to follow the 'bullseye' method and just create one small area then work outward as needed. Here is the map of the first area (I am currently filling in the features within).

28lxrgtlo2jq.png

What'd you use to draw that up?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Hexographer, a basic version is free, it's fun stuff.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Well, now we know what I'll be doing with my random puttering around time this week.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

It will randomly generate you a big hex map. There is a TON of more stuff on this map that I haven't touched but I kept generating maps until I found one with a region close to what i had in mind for The Chalice. I will use that as a buildpoint as I go further away.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular

Cool. But where's the town or city your players will inevitably loot?

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »

Cool. But where's the town or city your players will inevitably loot?

Somewhere in the Triple Ring, probably.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Psh, they are hidden. Duuuuh.

First session of a friends Fragged Empire campaign on Wednesday.

Which gives me tommorow to finalize a level 3 character sheet (the other players were too fussy at how restrictive 3 resources is). Twi-far is obvious. Past that I'm not sure. Probably a skill nerd with a gun and youthful optimism as her misguided cause.

Psh, they are hidden. Duuuuh.

facebook_2.jpg

There actually IS a hidden temple!

There actually IS a hidden temple!

Spoiler alert!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Rivers complaint!

what a happy day it is
    Progress has been made tonight. Rough cut of the surrounding continent with political borders, and some main settlements inside The Chalice. I am not focusing on any of the outside areas aside from rough themes and ideas so that I can focus on where the action is going to be - but I know questions will be asked so I at least need that rough idea down.

CBIFjBA.jpg

Nice. Every time I use Hexographer I find myself spending a ridiculous amount of time trying to decide whether I need hills between mountains and other terrain.

edited January 2017
    Blue - Arcadian Alliance - Main political power of the region. Consists of a very old standing alliance between seven nations. Within the lifetime of the current King of Arcadia, who is also the Grand Marshal of the Alliance, they've added 2 more previous rivals to the Alliance by way of the King's marriage. I know that the capital of Arcadia is at the tip of that straight. I haven't came up with names for the actual cities/towns inside the Chalice itself yet, other than I know the Garrison to the east on the mountain range will be known as "The Rook" and its counterpart garrison on the desert side has been in ruins for a very long time.

Yellow - Independent/Enclave City State - In this case a very old and established city of insular Wood-elves within the Chalice itself.

Red - Hostile Factions - One featured is that of a vanquished demon's stronghold.

Orange - Other Factions - The city in the corner is called "The City of Glass" and is ruled by a Efreeti called "The Red King" the marked lands around the city are expansive flats of shattered glass from the melted sands created last time an army tried to march on the King.

Nice. Every time I use Hexographer I find myself spending a ridiculous amount of time trying to decide whether I need hills between mountains and other terrain.
    I am glad it's not just me. I have argued with myself if I need to have a gradient of terrain hexes, or just say screw it and make harsh lines.

MagicPrime on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Kinda feels like a question of if you're talking east coast mountains or west coast mountains. Well in the US at least.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Because magic! Nobody will look twice at sharp mountains when every other fantasy book series has a Spine of the World. Just say "These are the really tall mountains of my setting."

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    edited January 2017
    Also people who like fragged Empire:

To expand on the palantor because Twitter doesn't have enough room to put it she's specifically one who hunts down mechanoids. I basically went for the options I have models on the way for.

I'm incredibly hype for the models.

Albino Bunny on
    I would vote Palantor if I had Twitter or knew how it worked. Magnets maybe.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Well, now we know what I'll be doing with my random puttering around time this week.

My only problem with it was the difficulty of undoing added landmarks. But that was probably me being dumb.

Auralynx wrote: »

My only problem with it was the difficulty of undoing added landmarks. But that was probably me being dumb.

I think I am going to do all my city/landmark/etc placement in photoshop. A lot more flexibility.