As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Got an iTunes link to that podcast?

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I listen to it from Stitcher but their website had this at the bottom of the page.
    https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-nosleep-podcast/id444083093?mt=2

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I've enjoyed this series a lot. Written from the perspective of a Search And Rescue agent retelling their experiences with weird shit in the wilderness

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3iex1h/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/

There's more than a couple gems in the roughness of nosleep

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    fuck, the forest spooks me out so bad

My friend's house backs up onto some woods, and you can hear deer screams sometimes and it's like, I know it's a deer

but in my heart of hearts I know it's the fucking Goatman

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    fuck, the forest spooks me out so bad

My friend's house backs up onto some woods, and you can hear deer screams sometimes and it's like, I know it's a deer

but in my heart of hearts I know it's the fucking Goatman

Deer .... scream?

Pretty sure it is the goatman

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Deer make some awful goddamn sounds.

Also! I know I've harped on it a couple times but if you enjoy the S&R posts on nosleep, check out David Paulides' turns as a guest on Coast to Coast AM, real spooky stuff.

https://youtu.be/yMxueNSihSA

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Deer make some awful goddamn sounds.

Also! I know I've harped on it a couple times but if you enjoy the S&R posts on nosleep, check out David Paulides' turns as a guest on Coast to Coast AM, real spooky stuff.

https://youtu.be/yMxueNSihSA

The David Paulides stuff freaks me right the fuck out. There was one episode of C2C: AM where Art Bell asked him if he thought it was aliens or something like that making all these people go missing, and David responded with something like "I wish it were something that simple." Sent chills down my spine, prime spooks.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    That's one thing about Paulides, he really attempts to not speculate on causes and stuff, at least from what I've heard. He's an investigator, he looks at facts and how they're connected and leaves the readers or listeners to draw their own conclusions.

• Options
    Mountain lions also scream so that's like, something to be wary of too

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    the thing I like about internet spooks in particular is that they tend towards the first person or blog posts or youtubes and a sort of little kid earnestness, "no really, he was tall as a tree and he had too many arms!" and I can pretend that the world has this weird unknowable underside, where terror is creeping and fantastical

like, I can just sit and listen to Welcome to Nightvale and pretend that the world possesses this weird, indifferent, fatal magic

instead of the regular old mundane horror that the real world is full of

• Options
    Also a cute radio host and his handsome scientist boyfriend, with his perfect hair and his teeth like a military cemetery.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    the thing I like about internet spooks in particular is that they tend towards the first person or blog posts or youtubes and a sort of little kid earnestness, "no really, he was tall as a tree and he had too many arms!" and I can pretend that the world has this weird unknowable underside, where terror is creeping and fantastical

like, I can just sit and listen to Welcome to Nightvale and pretend that the world possesses this weird, indifferent, fatal magic

I've read some interesting essays on the feeling of place in a narrative that point out that the creeping and fantastical terror mainly exists in a literary setting because, in the real world, the fear is too immediate to appreciate its specific qualities.

Like, on paper, a rip in your oxygen tank on the first trip to Mars is a pretty unique terror. You're alone in this alien landscape, and you are slowly dying because you do not belong. You're faced with the dawning realization of your own cosmic insignificance, the unique nature of your world in a grand pattern, and both the bravery and the arrogance that brought you to this place. And maybe, in hindsight once you've gotten back to safety, some of that sticks.

But in the moment, it's just "Oh fuck oh fuck I'm gonna die oh fuck", no different than if you were about to be hit by a bus.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    PGJgQXf.jpg

• Options
    Hey, y'all remember watching that middling Sinbad movie where he was a genie?

NO YOU DON'T CHUMPS

http://www.theearthchild.co.za/glitch-matrix-many-people-claim-seen-movie-never-existed/

FUCK

• Options
    No that was Shaq

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

NO YOU DON'T CHUMPS

http://www.theearthchild.co.za/glitch-matrix-many-people-claim-seen-movie-never-existed/

FUCK

See, that's the kind of weird memory things where I go "Ah. I see how I remembered that wrong. Everything is clear now."

Berenstain, now that one's a freaky fucker.

• Options
    No, no. This is a SEPARATE FILM from the blockbuster feel-good family comedy Kazaam.

It was called Shazzam and featured Sinbad as a genie. THIS FILM EXISTED.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

NO YOU DON'T CHUMPS

FUCK

See, that's the kind of weird memory things where I go "Ah. I see how I remembered that wrong. Everything is clear now."

I don't even understand the bear name thing. Can someone explain it simply?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular

NO YOU DON'T CHUMPS

FUCK

There was a weird thing were people were remembering it as the Berenstain Bears and a group of people who remember it as the Berenstein Bears. I don't really get it but people were freaking out about it.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Wait is it seriously just people remember the spelling wrong? Man it was always stain. I vividly remember as a kid reading the name and pronouncing it stain because I noticed it was different than Frankenstein.

People be crazy.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

NO YOU DON'T CHUMPS

FUCK

I remember when SE++ was called Happenstance and Ribaldry for a short while. Doesn't mean it ever actually happened!

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Wait is it seriously just people remember the spelling wrong? Man it was always stain. I vividly remember as a kid reading the name and pronouncing it stain because I noticed it was different than Frankenstein.

People be crazy.

Yea, it was pretty absurd. There was a joke about it proving multidimensional theories.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    You don't need animal s

NO YOU DON'T CHUMPS

FUCK

I remember when SE++ was called Happenstance and Ribaldry for a short while. Doesn't mean it ever actually happened!

TTB, club PA and the double-down saloon where all time displaced MK-Ultra experiments.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

NO YOU DON'T CHUMPS

FUCK

People spent their childhoods misreading the name "The Berenstain Bears" as "The Berenstein Bears." "Berenstain" is kind of a weird last name, while "Berenstein" fits into a much more common naming convention with many famous examples, so most of them never caught the mistake as children. Then they spent a decade or two not thinking about it at all, since they are children's books. Then they re-encountered the name as adults, and a small fraction of them made the oddly narcissistic leap that this very minor memetic hiccup was proof that we are living in an alternate timeline from the one they grew up in.

Then they went to Reddit and posted about it, and a bunch of other people either agreed or ironically shitposted that they agreed, and now here we are in the darkest Berenstain timeline.

The genie thing is similar, but with the uncomfortable twist that it involves not being able to tell two black guys apart.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I love the narcissistic leap from, miss remember a name to living in an alternate reality. Because of course that is the simplest explanation. Alternate reality. No possibly way a person could just be wrong. nope.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    sinbad-vhs.jpg

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    sinbad-vhs.jpg

VINDICATION!

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Like, Berenstein being Berenstain I'm willing to chalk up to my dumb kid memory cause I can't find my old books to prove it. But I will swear up and down I saw Shazam when it was on the Disney Channel once and I have never seen Kazzam in my life.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    sinbad-vhs.jpg

VINDICATION!

Yes! Finally proof that photoshop exists!

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

NO YOU DON'T CHUMPS

FUCK

People spent their childhoods misreading the name "The Berenstain Bears" as "The Berenstein Bears." "Berenstain" is kind of a weird last name, while "Berenstein" fits into a much more common naming convention with many famous examples, so most of them never caught the mistake as children. Then they spent a decade or two not thinking about it at all, since they are children's books. Then they re-encountered the name as adults, and a small fraction of them made the oddly narcissistic leap that this very minor memetic hiccup was proof that we are living in an alternate timeline from the one they grew up in.

Then they went to Reddit and posted about it, and a bunch of other people either agreed or ironically shitposted that they agreed, and now here we are in the darkest Berenstain timeline.

The genie thing is similar, but with the uncomfortable twist that it involves not being able to tell two black guys apart.

Being a little harsh don't ya think?
    The entire Stein/Stain thing was, like, 90% a joke, and in most cases was written about in the style of a creepypasta or non-scientific thought experiment. The most serious it got was when science educators used it as a jumping off point to discuss how memory remains subjective with time.
    At worst it's a simplistic story idea that is going to end up being dredged up for someone to make money off of at some later date because it went viral.

It also seems ridiculous to call it narcissistic when the entire concept relies on community input rather than on an individual. The Stein/Stain thing would be nothing without other people and doesn't rely on any one individual or even any one group. The whole thing centers on two groups that are similar in every way but one. One group remembers Berenstein, and the other remembers Berenstain.

• Options
    sinbad-vhs.jpg

VINDICATION!

Yes! Finally proof that photoshop exists!

Don't you have an unsecured nuclear reactor to go maintain?

You're supposed to be ready to believe me! ;n;

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

NO YOU DON'T CHUMPS

FUCK

The entire Stein/Stain thing was, like, 90% a joke, and in most cases was written about in the style of a creepypasta or non-scientific thought experiment. The most serious it got was when science educators used it as a jumping off point to discuss how memory remains subjective with time.
    At worst it's a simplistic story idea that is going to end up being dredged up for someone to make money off of at some later date because it went viral.

It also seems ridiculous to call it narcissistic when the entire concept relies on community input rather than on an individual. The Stein/Stain thing would be nothing without other people and doesn't rely on any one individual or even any one group. The whole thing centers on two groups that are similar in every way but one. One group remembers Berenstein, and the other remembers Berenstain.

I never got the sense that the Berenstein crowd were anything but sincere. Maybe I'm being cynical, but it seems like anyone saying they were being ironic after the fact are like the shits on 4chan who were making white-supremacists memes "ironically".

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

I love Nightvale simply because of its subtlty to what should be horror. You got 5 headed dragons running for mayor. A sentient Glow Cloud [ALL HAIL THE GLOW CLOUD] as head of the PTA. And Strexcorp is all a plow to spread the glory of a Smiling God.

Its those 5 sentience peaks into the darkness that give those fridge horror moments. Like the episode where Cecil takes the portal and ends up in the Desert Bluffs Radio studio.

Its tied up in the book but if you got audible I'd highly suggest getting the Welcome to Nightvale book from there to find out more about the Man with the deer skin briefcase. Cecil narrates pretty much the whole thing. Comes out more like a audio drama.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

NO YOU DON'T CHUMPS

FUCK

I never got the sense that the Berenstein crowd were anything but sincere. Maybe I'm being cynical, but it seems like anyone saying they were being ironic after the fact are like the shits on 4chan who were making white-supremacists memes "ironically".

Did I miss something and the whole Berenstein thing got coopted by neo nazis?

• Options
    Never really noticed how many hills were in this thread before.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I thought Sinbad was in a genie movie that was roughly contemporaneous with the Shaq movie, but some cursory googling makes me think I must have conflated the Adventures of Sinbad with the Sinbad Show. I don't think I ever watched either show ever, but I probably saw commercials/was vaguely aware of their existence. They both have Sinbad in their names and I was in like fifth grade, so that's probably it.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »

Littered with the corpses of fanatics, clutching standards and banners that long ago rotted away, leaving bare wooden poles in their wake, bleached by the sun.

THIS HILL IS MINE. IT WAS MADE FOR ME!

DRRR DRRRR DRRRR

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

NO YOU DON'T CHUMPS

FUCK

Did I miss something and the whole Berenstein thing got coopted by neo nazis?

Fair enough.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »

Littered with the corpses of fanatics, clutching standards and banners that long ago rotted away, leaving bare wooden poles in their wake, bleached by the sun.

THIS HILL IS MINE. IT WAS MADE FOR ME!

DRRR DRRRR DRRRR

https://youtu.be/RtAH7kGEqic