As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars PBP OOC - GIve me liberty or give me death!

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »

So once I have a character completed using this can you see it as a regular character sheet or does it make a PDF, or do should I just fill our a fillable character sheet using all of the info I put into the character generator?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I have nitro pdf maker, which i think it's free?
    When you go to print, it comes up as one of the options

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    If you download mine or Farangu's sheet you can just edit that in adobe reader with no extra programs required.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I have nitro pdf maker, which i think it's free?
    When you go to print, it comes up as one of the options

I downloaded it but it's not showing up as an option for me, don't know why.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Nevermind, I was being dumb. I hope this link works and you like my character, Caldwee Norwa

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    That Rodian is always on the hunt...for the next bargain.

I like it.

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Super interested in this. I'll put a character together and post in a few hours. Unless you're full up by then.

Hellbore on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    For Your Consideration:

sniper_by_leejj-d8j1y0s.jpg

Caryse Mahan, Specforce Sniper

Background:
    Caryse Mahan was only 8 years old when her families import/export business was dismantled by a rival noble who was backed by Imperial interests. Rumor had it that even some of the Emperor's highest advisors where involved. The elder Mahan's tried everything they could to keep their business afloat. Even going so far as to get into debt with the Hutt's. Carlyse and her older brother, Efram, were left orphaned when their parents couldn't pay their debts. Its better not to ask how they died. The two siblings fled the mid-rim on the first ship they could stow away on to avoid being sold into slavery.

Byblos Starport Tower 214 was not the worst place for a pair of kids to survive on the streets. The gangs were tough and the shopkeepers were un-sympathetic. But the weather was controlled and the tourist pockets were loose. There was a lot of ways to survive running the hallways of a major Core worlds trading hub. Efram and Caryse tried them all. Mostly they got by picking pockets and fighting off rivals. Caryse had an eye on her...she could spot things coming a parsec away. Whether is was trouble or a mark. One such mark turned out to be one Arien Cracken, a Specforce general working with the Rebellion. The con failed, but Cracken instantly took a shine to the Mahan siblings and brought them into the Rebel Alliance.

Efram became a Commando and became one of the most effective operatives. Caryse, at 5 years younger, was being trained to use her talents a bit differently, she had a knack for long range combat and was deep into her training as a sniper in the jungles of Yavin. Damn good at it too. It was difficult to be separated from her sibling, after all they had been through together, but Efram always made time to check in with his kid sister. Their bond was strong enough to endure.

Both of them were at Yavin when the assault at Scarif took place....the only time Efram did not come to see his little sister before a mission. Cassian Andor was a friend, and Caryse cursed his name for a long time and cursed Efram for going off on a lark with him. But after Alderaan, after the Battle of Yavin, she has come to terms with the role her brother played at Scarif. Any government that would do that to their own people had to be stopped. She was proud of her brother's sacrifice to help find the plans for the Death Star. At first, joining the Rebel Alliance was a way off the streets and out of the gutter. Her training with the Rebels somehow a more legitimate job than petty thievery. Now? Now the Alliance is everything. For the Galaxy...For her Brother.

Currently, Caryse is a newer member of the Rebel cell on Estan, presenting herself to Captain Morr and hoping to be selected for one of the new squads he's putting together.

Edit: I will add in some more about her personality and whatnot when I get a chance. Also, I did nothing for equipment since I didn't know well the Rebels would be equipping us.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    I can't access the sheet, it's telling me I need permission, you might need to change the access stuff.

• Options
    The crew so far.
    Ak-Jabb - Soldier Heavy
    Liakkakazza - Spy Infiltrator
    Cadwell Norra - Diplomat Quartermaster
    Rika – Ace Pilot
    Caryse Mahan - Specforce Sniper
    Koray – Commander Tactician

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    That's a big group but this is Star Wars and you guys are a solid, varied selection of characters. I like it!

Now, all of you will have been deployed in the U-Wing together, but whether you are new to the squad or have worked together before, perhaps, is up to you. Any partnerships we should know about?

• Options
    Almost everyone knows of Rika by reputation. Whether that reputation is of an arrogant ex racer who uses the rebellion as her personal thrill provider or as the pilot whose extracted people from impossible hotspots on numerous occasions depends entirely on whose telling the tale.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Just in case Solar is felling generous, Rehma Lon, Engineer Mechanic

antduros_by_cnids-d8euuvf.jpg

Background
    Born on the stations orbiting Duro, Rehma's technical skill was readily apparent from a young age. Growing up, all she would dream of was applying her skills in order to heal her damaged homeworld below. After the rise of the Empire, all hope of that dream was all but destroyed, as mining and manufacturing quotas were implemented and steadily increased and and the population all but enslaved.

Rehma went from promising engineer to indentured shipyard technician overnight. She spent years crafting starships and weapons of war for the Empire, nurturing a growing resentment that finally boiled over with a spectacular act of sabotage, that put the Imperial production line back months and landed her in Imperial prison.

A timely Alliance jailbreak saved Rehma from an uncertain future and she eagerly joined the Rebellion for a chance to strike back at the Empire. She spent several months serving on a rotating precession of bases and starships, always finding new ways to patch up the precious few starfighters and vehicles the Rebellion had, eventually finding herself on Yavin as the Rebellion scored their first victories at Scarif and over Yavin itself with the destruction of the Death Star.

Now Rehma only wishes to make sure that everything she does serves the greater Rebellion, and to give the entire Galaxy the freedom that she wishes for her enslaved home.

Hellbore on
  • Options
    Need to make the document public.

Also for what it's worth with a large group like this it could work to have some of the more supportive roles for the squad take part in small, downtime/establishing rolls that only take a little time and have them show up when needed.

Like the pilot probably only needs to be present for the start and end of most missions, the spy can contribute with establishing rolls that give a little bit of sabotage magic. Plus it'd be nice to have a door gunner around.

Plus it'd make sense for the rebellion to spread resources appropriately rather than just having everyone always as a group like a motley crew of scum.

• Options
    Thanks for the tip...I am historically inept at Google drive and docs....does the link work now?

• Options
    As a sharpshooter you probably want more ranged heavy and less ranged light so all your guns have more range.

Also reminder to everyone new: you can't raise stats after char gen. this is a not so subtle hint that you should probably spend as much XP as you can on them and save talents/extra skills for xp gained while playing.

• Options
    This is a good point. I haven't really dug into the equipment section yet....I don't even know what a badass sniper rifle would entail. But you are right, Caryse should at least by passingly familiar with heavier weapons.

I shall adjust some skills when I get home from work today!

• Options
    Light is one handed, heavy is two handed basically. So pistols and then everything else.

• Options
    I'd be perfectly fine with cycling out active members so that a few of us are at the base while the others are on mission. We have a diverse list, so it might be tough to find a reason to need all of us on the same op.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Light is one handed, heavy is two handed basically. So pistols and then everything else.

Oh! Then I am definitely changing up those skills. Stay tuned!

• Options
    To start with you probably just get a blaster rifle or heavy blaster rifle and then a bi-pod (if it's a heavy blaster rifle) and telescopic sight for flavour. Flavour your gear with stuff like macrobinoculars, climbing gear, a backpack and other practical things you might need.

Soldiers pretty much have to spend some starting duty to get their equipment sorted.

• Options
    The crew so far.
    Ak-Jabb - Soldier Heavy
    Liakkakazza - Spy Infiltrator
    Cadwell Norra - Diplomat Quartermaster
    Rika – Ace Pilot
    Caryse Mahan - Specforce Sniper
    Koray – Commander Tactician

Cadwell Norra (or possibly Norra Cadwell) sounds like a pseudonym my character might use when trying to avoid Imperial attention

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Also reminder to everyone new: you can't raise stats after char gen. this is a not so subtle hint that you should probably spend as much XP as you can on them and save talents/extra skills for xp gained while playing.
    Yeah this is important.
    Talents and proficiency dice are cool, but in most cases aren't nearly as important as getting as many dice as possible for your rolls
    Also after character creation the only way to raise your characteristics is get to the Deadication talent at the bottom of your trees

NeoToma on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Though, to break that a little, I might try workshopping a force sensitive version of Flynn. Like this. Which gives up her insane agility to round out a little more, get tougher and start off her journey to force sensitive stuff. Also fidgets with her skills a bit to fit in with her background (hot shot racer turned pilot, so drop the rank in gunnery, the melee and ranged light are from basic rebel training).

After all, you'd have to have Jedi reflexes to be a human who races. Plus it actually adds a better rebellion connection for her if her father was carted off by the Empire as a result of his own force abilities being noticed.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    That's a big group but this is Star Wars and you guys are a solid, varied selection of characters. I like it!

Now, all of you will have been deployed in the U-Wing together, but whether you are new to the squad or have worked together before, perhaps, is up to you. Any partnerships we should know about?
    -I like to imagine Liakazza got his ass kicked in bar fight back in his wild days by one of these characters. Maybe Ak-Jabb during their mercenary period?
    -I could see Liakazza having helped Gand Kornay search for Imperial information at some point in the past.
    -Liakazza sold his Bowcaster through Caldwee Norwa after he disgraced himself, by killing a man with his claws.

• Options
    I'll try and think of some likely connections to some characters I'll see if they think works

• Options
    I guess as a flight deck engineer, Rehma would have maybe met Rika Flynn before, probably at some nowhere Rebel outpost.

• Options
    She'd be the one complaining about how you tune her craft while only knowing how to talk about the mechanics in very specific (and poorly applied) racing slang rather than technical turns.

Otherwise known as your best friend.

Also you guys got a preference for force vs non force version. One's a super dedicated pilot and the other's much more theme but doesn't really become a particularly real character for a bit. Though like... 40/50XP in she can get +1 agility permanently through the force and then the next 80 or so XP can be spent giving her Sense Danger and Touch of Fate (which are both rad) and a second force die which would let her enhance skill checks while getting the bonus agility. At which point she's a force user whose racing focus functioned as her training, manifesting in incredible reflexes and ability to read the situation. Then she can (if we're playing still at that point) transition into a more jedi focused set up with a force and destiny class.

The pilot I'll probably transition based on what's needed and have less of a particular build in mind because I don't feel the need to get as mechanically involved with an archetype that's more based around having a great skill pool than talents/gear. Though as the pilot I should probably read the ship combat rules >.>

• Options
    edited January 2017
    The ship combat rules. I especially like how they give everyone on the ship shit they can do potentially.

page 249
    TABLE 7-4: ADDITIONAL STARSHIP AND VEHICLE ACTIONS
    Plot Course
    average Astrogation check or
    Hard Perception check
    The crewmember studies the terrain ahead and plots a course that should take the vehicle
    safely through it. On a successful check, each success reduces the • suffered for difficult
    terrain by 1.

Copilot
    Average (4)4)) Piloting check
    The crewmember serves as the vehicle's copilot, managing systems and auxiliary equipment
    to allow the pilot to focus on flying or driving. On a successful check, each success
    downgrades the difficulty of the pilot's next piloting check by 1

Jamming
    Average Computers check
    The crewmember uses the vehicle's systems to jam the communications of enemy vehicles.
    On a successful check, the enemy must make an Average (4)4)) Computer s check to use
    its communication systems. The difficulty increases by one for each additional # and the
    jamming affects an additional target for each t> spent.

Boost Shields
    Hard Mechanics check
    The crewmember reroutes power from other systems to boost the defensive systems of a
    vehicle. This only works if the vehicle already has a defense rating. On a successful check, the
    vehicle suffers 1 system strain and increases the defense of one defense zone by one until
    the beginning of his next turn. Additional # increase the duration by one round per #

Manual Repairs
    Hard Athletics check
    In some cases, repairs can be as simple as a sturdy metal plate welded over a damaged
    system. If the C M allows it and the crewmember has the proper tools for the job, the
    crewmember can attempt to use the Damage Control action with Athletics rather than
    Mechanics. If successful, he may remove 1 point of hull trauma from the ship, plus 1
    additional point for each additional & Remember, this follows the limitations of the
    Damage Control action, and thus may only be attempted once per encounter.

Fire Discipline
    Hard Leadership or Discipline check
    The crewmember forgoes fighting to analyze the opponents ' tactics and direct his fellows to
    greater accuracy with their weapons fire. If successful, the next crewmember firing a weapon
    aboard the ship can add • to his check. Each additional # # grants this to an additional
    crewmember . In addition, the crewmember may spend O O O to allow every hit from
    shipboard weapons to inflict 1 system strain on their target as well as regular damage until
    the beginning of his next turn as the carefully timed shots pummel shields and overload
    systems.

Scan the Enemy
    Hard Perception check
    The crewmember uses the ship's scanners to study the enemy. If successful, he learns what
    weapons the ship has. its modifications, and its system strain and hull trauma thresholds. If
    he spends O ^ h e can also learn its current system strain and hull trauma levels.

Slice Enemy's Systems
    Hard Computers check
    The crewmember uses powerful shipboard computers to attempt to disrupt the systems of
    an enemy vehicle. If successful, he reduces the defense of one zone on the target vehicle for
    one round per # A ($ may be spent to disable a weapon system for one round, and t> O
    may be spent to inflict 1 system strain on the target vehicle.

Spoof Missiles
    Average Computers check
    or
    Hard Vigilance check
    The crewmember tracks incoming attacks and uses vehicle systems to disrupt their tracking
    systems, or even times incoming missiles and drops flares and chaff at the opportune
    moment If successful, any attacks against the crewmember's ship or vehicle using weapons
    with the Guided quality upgrade their difficulty by one (plus an additional upgrade for every
    additional O O) until the star t of the crewmember's next turn

NeoToma on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I can Liakazza becoming Sentinel Shadow if he was ever becomes a force user.

1eP+2eA+2eD 1 success, 1 threat, 1 Triumph [1eP=Tr] [2eA=-, A] [2eD=Th, Th]

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Part of the reason I'm asking btw is that I kinda like the idea of force users being rare so I'd rather not be one of anyone else has aspirations to be a force user as well.

• Options
    Yeah space combat is super fun in this, and there's loads for a group to do

• Options
    Yea @NeoToma I can definitely see us having worked a random op in the past, or even retcon it so that you brought me into the Rebellion

• Options
    edited January 2017
    She'd be the one complaining about how you tune her craft while only knowing how to talk about the mechanics in very specific (and poorly applied) racing slang rather than technical turns.

Otherwise known as your best friend.

I feel like Rehma would sort of halfway keep up with the slang based entirely on context, but only ever uses the most correct of terms, especially with Rika

Hellbore on
  • Options
    @Solar any confirmation on what gear the base will be providing for us, and what we need to grab on our own? I need to redo my gear assuming Albino Bunny's suggestion is close.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I'd rather Caryse be bit of a mystery. Not known by the other players personally, but maybe only by reputation. Like, she's semi-famous ONLY as the sister of one of the heroes of Scarif. A reputation as a crack shot on the range but with a lot to prove. Commanders look at her like a typical wet behind the ears rookie, new recruits are in awe of her marks on the range, and veterans don't give a kark about her at all. That's why she's so eager for that first successful combat mission. Her DUTY is to get into the fight herself and prove to herself that she can be just the hero her brother was.

Caryse is an attractive woman, with short lilac coloured hair, tall for a woman with tight muscles. Her rifle is nearly as tall is she is and never far from her grasp. While personable enough, Caryse is very focused. Her gaze seems to take in everything and she doesn't miss a trick. She might even be too eager, ready to take on the Empire all by herself, as they say. All she really wants is to do her part for the Alliance...and see some Imperial heads pop through her sights.

Updated link to character, also updated original post

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

-I like to imagine Liakazza got his ass kicked in bar fight back in his wild days by one of these characters. Maybe Ak-Jabb during their mercenary period?

I like this idea, perhaps not they don't even remember right away (or maybe Liakazza remembers but Ak-Jabb doesn't, or visa versa). For everyone else, Ak-Jabb probably doesn't have a connection unless someone goes out of their way to be friendly. He has only been at the base for a few weeks, maybe done one or two missions but the Rebellion is trying to figure out the best way to use him and Ak-Jabb is struggling to fit into a more military lifestyle than he is used to. He doesn't complain and tries his best but he is a little overwhelmed by the rather sudden change of lifestyle. When allowed he goes out hunting, mostly as a way to refresh his skills. If anyone else shows interest he invites them to come along on a short hunt.

• Options
    Farangu wrote: »
    @Solar any confirmation on what gear the base will be providing for us, and what we need to grab on our own? I need to redo my gear assuming Albino Bunny's suggestion is close.

They will be able to give you some basic equipment related to your job. A soldier will get a rifle, some light protection maybe, comm link. A mechanic will get some basic tools, blaster pistol, comm link etc.

• Options
    An X-Wing is definitely basic equipment for a pilot.

• Options
    Farangu wrote: »

They will be able to give you some basic equipment related to your job. A soldier will get a rifle, some light protection maybe, comm link. A mechanic will get some basic tools, blaster pistol, comm link etc.

Ok cool, I'll redo my gear tonight then