As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Tuesday, January 3, 2017 - Twist the Knife

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2017 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Tuesday, January 3, 2017 - Twist the Knife

Twist the Knife

Twist the Knife

http://campcomic.com/comic/389

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• kram1032kram1032 Registered User regular
    huh. So all it takes is memory now to bring out Evil Brian?

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    It took me a second, but this is just before he finds and saves Seventeen.
    I take it before then, any stranger, any unknown sound sent him to the dark, scary place.

• Christian LeBlancChristian LeBlanc Registered User regular
    Good catch. He was way more likely to dwell on dark stuff before meeting his bright little friend (plus it was all still recent for him, too).

• Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    it looks like he wears the camp shirt in the first panel.

• SIXytSIXyt Esq STLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    http://campcomic.com/comic/120
    briguy wrote: »
    I take it before then, any stranger, any unknown sound sent him to the dark, scary place.

I went through the trouble of tracking down the comic http://campcomic.com/comic/120

SIXyt on
  • Sundog_HooraySundog_Hooray Registered User new member
    Can't tell for sure with the foreboding shadow in the doorway, but it almost looks like Brian left for Camp Weedonwantcha on his own rather than being dropped off.

SIXyt wrote: »
    http://campcomic.com/comic/120
    briguy wrote: »

I went through the trouble of tracking down the comic http://campcomic.com/comic/120

Awesome.
    It's cool how the scary tree hands show up in both Brian's and Seventeen's backstories.

• pjfdpjfd Registered User new member
    Brian's nose. The whole flashback sequence I never noticed it was drawn differently. Now I see that it is and now I see why. What an amazing detail.

• Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    Even though he doesn't mean it to be, that knife is pretty central to who Brian really is. Not so much his identity as the first thing he found important enough to get angry over. Like a jewel bearing, it's the thing on which his solid character pivots.

• hajenhajen Registered User regular
    well this comic just caused me to Lucas my personal canon.
    I had previously assumed that the father figure in the doorway WAS the father, now I prefer to think of him as the uncle (Brian's mother's brother, to be specific).
    per the extended flashback, Brian had recently came from another school and it went a little something like this:
    an episode in a long line of episodes was the final straw that broke the camel's back; his father saying,"That's it. We can't do any more for that boy, maybe your brother can control him." and off he went.
    and then this final episode, the uncle saying,"You are not spending another day in my house. You can go home or you can go anywhere you want, I don't care! Just get out!" and thus began Brian's great adventure.

• Fox_kFox_k Registered User new member
    Brian's mother, the one who helped him with his anger issues died. The father moved to a new town to escape the memories, and because Brian was expelled from school. The knife was a gift from his mother and his most cherished possession. The father could not/would not take care of Brian because he reminds him of his wife too much and Brian is too much to handle when he's depressed from the loss of his wife.

• MIJackelMIJackel Registered User regular
    I think the knife represents a more personal history. Perhaps back to when he and his Dad were closer? Maybe before Mom died or left? Maybe the big man with a ring is his grandpa? Mom and Dad died and the knife is what Brian has to hold on to?

• DublinDublin Registered User regular
    Hmmm... My question is, who initially gave the knife to Brian, in panel 4?

• KaitensatsumKaitensatsum Registered User regular
    Ran away from home, abusive family huh?

Dublin wrote: »
    Hmmm... My question is, who initially gave the knife to Brian, in panel 4?

Judging by the hand, it looks like another kid.
    Maybe a friend he had to leave behind when he was sent off previously.

Theory:
    He got sent off to his current caretaker's after his last fight, defending the kid who is giving him the knife. It looks like a rural area, so maybe even the same kid who inspired his My Side of the Mountain outlook?

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Oh shit... Brian the Terminator, who ignores bullets like they're bugs, just picked up a knife.

We are all doomed.

• DragonLizardProductionsDragonLizardProductions Registered User new member
    There is another... though unlikely... theory. Perhaps Brain has gotten into A LOT of trouble in the past. So much trouble that he could be taken away to Juvenal hall for what he did. What we see might not be Brian running away from home, it's his father allowing him to escape.

• kram1032kram1032 Registered User regular
    man I suck at interpreting these. Good that I checked back on the comments. I wouldn't have seen it like any of that at all. Also thanks for mentioning the connection to Seventeen here

• PaizleeRoxPaizleeRox Registered User regular
    "Chk" is a very gun-like noise....