As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    OK - Ideas for a 10k or so fun car? Current thoughts are to save more and go old M3 or buy an FRS/BRZ and supercharge it once I have the spare coin.

Pontiac GTO from the mid-2000s. I'm seeing 6.0L late models going for $12-14k with reasonable mileage, LS1 models for less.

Honestly this is probably your best option. They really are a modern sleeper, as most people won't recognize the GTO as actually being a performance car and they are supposedly really good cars. Just gotta deal with that anemic styling.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Or why not the Pontiac G8? Even more boring than the most recent GTO.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

The G8 still goes for more than the GTO.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Parts are from Australia though. $$$

Really? I would not have expected that.

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    https://www.cooperbmw.co.uk/vehicles/2-series/2-series-30-i-m235i/2-series-30-i-m235i-av14gza-2908269/

I'm about to seal the deal on this. test driving it on friday, ready for me to buy next tuesday.

So I got this thing.

It goes real good you guys.

Real good.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream

A quick look at the autotrader and it shows G8's with the V8 and manual transmission are going for fucking $25-35k. NOOOOOPE.
    While the modern GTOs are going for $10-15k.
    Hmmm.

A quick look at the autotrader and it shows G8's with the V8 and manual transmission are going for fucking $25-35k. NOOOOOPE.
    Hmmm.

I have to think it's largely because modern V8, RWD, manual transmission equipped sedans aren't very common, whereas the GTO is competing against a much broader spread of cars. Helps keep the price down because there's more competition.

Hmmm.

I have to think it's largely because modern V8, RWD, manual transmission equipped sedans aren't very common, whereas the GTO is competing against a much broader spread of cars. Helps keep the price down because there's more competition.

In 2004, there was only the Mustang as far as RWD V8 powered vehicle, right? As opposed to 2010 when you've got the Mustang, but also Camaros, as well as Challengers and Chargers. I realize I'm lumping coupes in with sedans and all, but I don't really think it affects the outcome. A fun RWD vehicle for less than $10k, for some definition of fun. These all just happened to be powered by V8s, and relatively similar by some definition.

Hmmm.

In 2004, there was only the Mustang as far as RWD V8 powered vehicle, right? As opposed to 2010 when you've got the Mustang, but also Camaros, as well as Challengers and Chargers. I realize I'm lumping coupes in with sedans and all, but I don't really think it affects the outcome. A fun RWD vehicle for less than $10k, for some definition of fun. These all just happened to be powered by V8s, and relatively similar by some definition.

Right but I'm talking about in the broader used market. In relatively new vehicles, there are quite a few options for V8, manual coupes. There are far, far less options for sedans. You either go with a G8 or jump up to what, an E60 or F10 M5? Late '00 M5s go for $30k minimum.

Hmmm.

Right but I'm talking about in the broader used market. In relatively new vehicles, there are quite a few options for V8, manual coupes. There are far, far less options for sedans. You either go with a G8 or jump up to what, an E60 or F10 M5? Late '00 M5s go for $30k minimum.

Ah, I see your point.

edited December 2016
    I think the Charger came with a manual for a while but they aren't as refined as the G8 is, I guess.

Edit: Nope, I'm misremembering. The Charger hasn't been offered with a manual transmission since the
    FWD version ended production in '87.

jgeis on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    There were a handful of v8 Cadillac coupes, sedans and the glorious wagon in the early 2000s, they've retained a price premium though for low mileage examples.

edited December 2016
    webguy20 wrote: »
    There were a handful of v8 Cadillac coupes, sedans and the glorious wagon in the early 2000s, they've retained a price premium though for low mileage examples.

I think the only Cadillac sedan available with a manual transmission and a V8 was the CTS-V, the first generation of which is probably in the same ballpark as the G8.

jgeis on
    Those seem to be in the $10-15k ballpark like the GTO.
    Is it just because those cars are all 13 years old?

If a manual is not important, you could always go for the cheaper (but less reliable) Cadillac STS-V and build Satan's 570hp vacuum out of the supercharged Northstar:

https://youtu.be/hFXfX7vOgX0

LOL

I really want to know how long the engine in that STS-V lasted producing those numbers.

webguy20 wrote: »

I think the only Cadillac sedan available with a manual transmission and a V8 was the CTS-V, the first generation of which is probably in the same ballpark as the G8.

Damn you're right. The wagon at least comes with the manual as well, but good luck finding a clean example. Thought it looks like the CTS Wagon (Non-V) still has plenty of pep with the bigger 6 cylinder, so that could be fun, and fairly easy to wrench on. I thought the XLR came with a manual but nope! Auto only.

I do love the absolute angular awesomeness that is the XLR though, and you can get a decent example for less than 20k.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Eww gross ew, a CTS? So ugly! And the STS isn't much better, plus then you're stuck with the Northstar.

Is an Infiniti G35/37 in your budget?

Oh we gotta disagree there. The Cadillacs are beautiful in their paper airplane like creased goodness.

:D

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Lines can work, don't get me wrong. It's just important where they point, as they lead the eye. And on the front of the CTS, they point at the base of the A-pillar.

Not generally where designers usually want you looking.

Yeah, I LOVE Cadillac's design language ever since they adopted "Art and Science." Gimmie all those angled lines.

I also know that Syd Mead drives a CT6 twin-turbo and if that's not a ringing endorsement for their designs, I don't know what is.

*googles Syd Mead*

Did all his best work in the 70's and early 80's?

No wonder he likes ugly cars.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    First gen CTS-V can be had in the 10-15k range. It was very obviously a learning experience for GM though. Motor is solid but the differential and driveshaft are both weak points on the car that will need to be upgraded for reliability.

2nd gen CTS is much nicer and better built, but the Vs are 25-30k for a high mileage sedan and only go up from there. Manual 3.6L V6s exist on the coupe and sedan but are extremely rare. Wagon was sadly only offered in manual with the 556hp V trim.

For a 2+2, the Pontiac GTO is solid and fits the price range well. If a manual isn't critical, the Pontiac G8 GT is also in that range and lots of fun. (Manual G8s were only available in the higher GXP trim and are absurdly overpriced.)

If you're okay with a future classic that will need lots of wrenching, E39 M5s and E46 M3s can both be found at that price. They will be a little rough but salvageable with time and money.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I utterly despise the new CTS look.

Half hearted batmobile. Reminds me of the Chrysler 300 but more pretentious

Ford is apparently going to make hybrid versions of the Mustang, F-150, and Transit van.

A hybrid Mustang could be interesting, so long as the battery and electric motor don't add too much weight. A nice pump of electric torque down low with the Ecoboost 4 would be a whole lot of fun.

Also I've always thought that a diesel/electric hybrid truck just made sense so hopefully Ford goes that route, although I'm sure it'll be a gas/electric hybrid.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Dropped in an intake on the WRX.

Oh boy it sounds great now.

Much more prominent than I was expecting actually.

I'm going to waste so much more fuel by putting it into boost every possibility now just to hear it,

Replace the up-pipe next!
    That one isn't very hard at all, and will make moar boost more fasterer!

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Replace the up-pipe next!
    That one isn't very hard at all, and will make moar boost more fasterer!

Yes that is exactly the next plan!

My reading tells me there is one bolt that's a real bitch but beyond that everything looks fine. Then I can get that stage 2+ tune going. VROOOMKKKSSSSSHHHHHVVROOOM

But then you need a high-flow cat, and a bigger turbo, and since you'll have a bigger turbo you'll need a better intercooler, and then....
    It's all awesome and amazing.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Someone talk me out of buying a Honda Beat from our favorite Japanese import site.

Someone talk me out of buying a Honda Beat from our favorite Japanese import site.

They're cheap and you can put a B16 engine in them and they're so cool and unique and fun to drive and light and.....

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Now I have a strange desire to somehow shove a Hayabusa engine in a Nissan Figaro.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    So a friend asked me if he could park his FC on the concrete slab in my backyard about a year and a half ago, since he was out of room for cars. I recently got the title from him so I could goof off with it until he decides he wants it back. Spent a couple hours over the weekend getting it started up and mobile again.

It's slow you guys. Really, really slow. So slow that its 0-60 time is a dead even match with my Saturn.

It sounds great though! braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap

Attach a turbo? Or two?

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular

Do it!
    Decius wrote: »
    Now I have a strange desire to somehow shove a Hayabusa engine in a Nissan Figaro.

DO IT! (And for the love of God make sure you spend the time reinforcing the rest of the car)

In unrelated news, I've been playing a lot of Forza Horizon 3 and now I want to import a Holden Ute. Next year maybe.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Y'all are not helping! Bunch of dirty no-good enablers, the lot of ya!

I also want to import a Holden Ute. Or Mustang GT Ute. Because why not.

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Y'all are not helping! Bunch of dirty no-good enablers, the lot of ya!

(I don't know, it might actually be a terrble car.)

This discussion has been closed.