As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chalkmaster Dave: Toronto Legend, Comic Art, and The World!

ForarForar #432Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
edited November 2007 in Graphic Violence
Chalkmaster Dave, the Man, The Myth, The Legend. Who is he? What does he do? Why am I making a topic about one guy, and risking the ire of all who frequent the forums?

Dave has worked at several places around Toronto as a sidewalk artist, crafting marvelous works on the ground using little but some chalk, his bare hands, and a radio to keep his sanity. After earning a living as best he could for over a decade and a half, he moved a few weeks ago to Nova Scotia, in order to be closer to his daughter, and to open a home studio where he can work on a variety of projects to support himself.

I've posted these before in the chat thread, but here are a few sample snapshots I took over the past year or so with my trusty 2mp cellphone camera:
DSC00025.jpg
DSC00023.jpg
DSC00022.jpg
DSC00020.jpg
DSC00019.jpg
DSC00017.jpg
DSC00016.jpg
DSC00015.jpg
DSC00006.jpg

In my experience, many (if not most) of his sidewalk work was often comic based, though he'd also do the ocassional piece that was inspired by a movie, or something with forced perspective, a picture from real life, or a classic that he liked.

Having kept in touch with him due to a small project I asked him to work on, I inadvertantly became his first client, and within a few days he'd made and mailed the 8 x 11" work I'd requested. I'd happily reveal it to you all, but it's already sealed back up. And I'm lazy.

I do, however, have a few more photos taken from just before he left Toronto.

DSC00047.jpg
DSC00046.jpg

In the second picture, I'd asked if it'd be alright to snap one with him by the work, at which point he had an associate of his take the picture instead. He's on the right, and the dapper fellow on the left is yours truly.

Wow, that jacket really makes me look fat.
Okay, it's not just the jacket. Back to the gym for you!

His works can also be found on Youtube, and a small crew (possibly for a school project?) did a doctumentary on him in the days leading up to his moving away, following him around at home, 'at work', and even out to the bar. Apparently it's supposed to end up as a film festival short, but I've heard nothing about it yet.

Some links to his work, and to a coin trick of his that never ceases to amuse me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0JkO9F7pb4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNBwZEQQEzI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3ZugCE-BjU (said coin trick)

You may be asking yourselves "So, Forar, why the post? This is neat and all, but again, the ire?", and right you would be to do so. During our last exchange, Dave mentioned to me that he'd put a few pieces up for auction on Ebay, and after checking them out myself, I figured some people here might be interested, as they could possibly make fine gifts for the holidays, or just prove to be appreciated pieces of comic art for a collector/fan.

The auctions themselves are for a picture of Wolverine and a picture of Spider-Man in the black suit. Before there are any cries of site-whoring, I'm in no manner affiliated with the artist, aside from being a long time fan of his work.

So, if you're interested, there they are (he has a third one up as well, but it may be tastefully NSFW), and if not, please keep the hate PM's / infractions gentle.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
Forar on

• Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow

Does he do this stuff on Queen Street? That's where all the sidewalk artists congregate

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007
    His chalks are neat in a "that's chalk?" kind of way, but those paintings aren't anything special

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »
    Does he do this stuff on Queen Street? That's where all the sidewalk artists congregate

I usually saw him at Yonge and Dundas, but I know he's done work at a variety of locations around town, so Queen wouldn't surprise me.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    He really should just stick to chalk instead of paint, but put it on a more permanent surface. Not that his paintings are bad but I'd way rather buy something done by him in chalk.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I hear that he eats nothing but chalk sandwiches

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i live in nova scotia

i wonder if i will see stuff around halifax

that would be rad

humble on
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, uh, I wouldn't bet on it

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I saw this stuff around summer time, it looks real good espcially in person.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    damn, son

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    humble wrote: »
    i live in nova scotia

i wonder if i will see stuff around halifax

that would be rad

He used to live in Halifax. He would do murals and stuff in front of Strange Adventures all the time, and during the Buskerfest he was always down on the waterfront.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    I saw his work when I was in Toronto last year. Really cool stuff. It was at Dundas Square.

Grifter on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Keith wasn't that dude at Wizard World, or was it someone else?

I barely payed attention.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007
    Keith wasn't that dude at Wizard World, or was it someone else?

I barely payed attention.

there was some chalk dude

i dunno if it was this guy

Garlic Bread on