As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rimworld] 7 year olds can wield firearms. Biotech released!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Thought we could safely go deer hunting.

Settlement #5 ended as all five settlers were bitten to death by does.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I think I'm surrounded by technologically advanced raiders. Cause every raid just involves sniper rifles and LMGs and the last one had a guy in power armor. I fear the day when they show up with doomsday launchers or worse.

Speaking of which..I should probably horde up some steel, and fast, so I can make a mortar battery.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Thought we could safely go deer hunting.

Settlement #5 ended as all five settlers were bitten to death by does.

Losing is Fun!

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    People were talking in [chat] about Rimworld and I didn't realize it wasn't this thread, so I will repost here since it is an incredibly important point.

We were talking about necessary mods earlier?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=779592154

this one

should be mandatory

• Options
    Oh, by the by, I had a poison ship crash almost directly on top of my base.

Basically made everyone who had a 1 or greater in shooting equip an LMG (I have far, far to many of these things) and open fire at it.

Was alarmed when Scythers started pouring out, but they couldn't live in an environment where the atmosphere was made with high velocity lead. Managed to destroy the ship afterwards before anything got poisonified.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Buying an insanity lance or two in reserve will help when doomsday launchers come into play. Zap the guy with a launcher and watch the booms

And yes, a manhunting pack of rabbits is something everyone needs to experience. Especially because it'll be a HUGE hoard of them due to their low combat value and how threats are scaled according to your colony value.

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Takel wrote: »
    Buying an insanity lance or two in reserve will help when doomsday launchers come into play. Zap the guy with a launcher and watch the booms

And yes, a manhunting pack of rabbits is something everyone needs to experience. Especially because it'll be a HUGE hoard of them due to their low combat value and how threats are scaled according to your colony value.

Only if it also includes a grenade that shall be thrown upon the count of 3, not 2, nor 4..and five is right out.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I bought a couple of chickens for my settlement. I figured a few eggs and some slaughtered chickens would be of some benefit. I bought the chickens and then only paid half hazard attention to them because i had other shit going on.

Dear god.

I first noticed the issue in a trade window. "Hmmm i can sell..... 75 cockerals? What the fuck are cockerels?"

I had about 100 fucking chickens, that number is not an exaggeration. My food was almost gone probably because they ate it all. THESE CAME FROM TWO INITIAL CHICKENS. TWO!!! The amount of in game time i dont even know but it wasnt that long at all.

I dont know how you could deal with having chickens. Its gotta be a bug. You buy one, your really buying like 700.

I promptly sold most of mine and slaughtered the rest. Fucking chickens man

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I bought a couple of chickens for my settlement. I figured a few eggs and some slaughtered chickens would be of some benefit. I bought the chickens and then only paid half hazard attention to them because i had other shit going on.

Dear god.

I first noticed the issue in a trade window. "Hmmm i can sell..... 75 cockerals? What the fuck are cockerels?"

I had about 100 fucking chickens, that number is not an exaggeration. My food was almost gone probably because they ate it all. THESE CAME FROM TWO INITIAL CHICKENS. TWO!!! The amount of in game time i dont even know but it wasnt that long at all.

I dont know how you could deal with having chickens. Its gotta be a bug. You buy one, your really buying like 700.

I promptly sold most of mine and slaughtered the rest. Fucking chickens man

Welcome to learning why farmers make sure to cull their chickens, especially roosters

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Well if rimworld has taught me anything, its that chickens are a scourge on the world and should be slaughtered on sight.

Preferably with incendiary grenade launchers.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Gonna go ahead and call this first base a loss. :lol: Fire eventually burned out, after it literally burned everything to the ground.

Apparently letting a mentally unstable pyromaniac into the camp was a bad idea.

• Options
    Yeah... I don't know that I would try an animal-based run without using Colony Manager. It's a mod that adds a bunch of stuff to make managing you colony (heh) more streamlined. You can do stuff like "I want to keep 10 female chickens and 3 male chickens, then slaughter the rest for food. Keep females in this zone and males in this separate zone", then you have a dude with the "Managing" job who goes to a table to issue a work command automatically.

It really helps with giant colonies (which I occasionally love to do because why else do I have an i7 and 64 gigs of RAM)

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Gonna go ahead and call this first base a loss. :lol: Fire eventually burned out, after it literally burned everything to the ground.

Apparently letting a mentally unstable pyromaniac into the camp was a bad idea.

Pyromaniacs and Chemical Interests are an euthanize on sight for my colonies. I don't care what other traits or how good their skills are. They are not getting in, and if they do get in because they invited themselves, they'll be shown the doctor's table and then unceremoniously dumped into the dog food shack. Not even a sarcophagus for them. Simply not worth the trouble.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Well if rimworld has taught me anything, its that chickens are a scourge on the world and should be slaughtered on sight.

Preferably with incendiary grenade launchers.

What? No! You drown them in 7 secret herbs and spices.

• Options
    I'm still really struggling with getting power to work properly. My founding looks something like this:

Pick a ruin that is mostly built near the starting area and finish the walls. Put three beds in and a torch. Designate a random plot of field right next to it to centralize collecting the crashed supplies. (Arm everyone). Do nothing until the building is built and the supplies have been collected. Plant some food crops, then build individual dorms and convert the first building into a gathering hall. Attached to the gathering hall build a room for storing food and have all the food moved out of the dumping site. Build some walls around the dumping site.

Set someone hunting for food, and as soon as possible have someone start making clothes so we can get some parkas made. For whatever reason it is insanely difficult to get parkas made before winter, no one will prioritize that shit at all. One theory I have is that parkas might be too hard and I might need to get the tailor to make some other clothes first?

Someone usually has to start mining about now. Now it's time to struggle with power so I can refrigerate the food storage. This shit works, like, 25% of the time. I've switched to using a battery with a solar generator, but the fridge unit will still show unpowered like half the time it seems like. For awhile there I was trying to put a heater in the dorms, but if I do that it'll just never work at all. We've never survived past the first spring after winter anyway, so it's sort of pointless at this point. No matter how hard I try to get food stockpiled, the power will go out and then all the food will rot and we'll end up trying to hunt in winter.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    First off, is the battery connected to the grid? It needs a conduit connection
    A single solar panel plus battery should be more than enough to keep a single freezer running with power left over for heaters.

Alternative: Use a fuelled generator. Far less hassle, no batteries required and you have a constant 1000Wh budget to use which should be enough for your freezer and like 3-4 heaters. Have that for your AC needs and if you're going to have a greenhouse, use a dedicated solar generator + battery grid for it. Heck, you can even consider not having the battery in the first place if you're using a dedicated solar generator. No sun, crops aren't going to grow anyhow so no need to keep the lamp powered. Sun comes out, plants want to grow, lamp has power. No batteries means no short circuits means no conduit explosions means everyone doesn't have to worry about that wall bursting into flames right in their faces. That's a win/win situation if you ask me.

My priorities when hitting planet fall is to scan the map for a good location to set up camp. I need a decent amount of space for a crop field, I need to be able to secure the perimeter, hopefully with as much natural rock formations as possible. I need a reasonable amount of trees because I'm going to be very wood dependant and optionally, I want 1-2 steam vents.

If I'm really lazy, I can use the steam vents to heat up my starting compound. Just build around it and roof over it. Caution though, that thing heats up like woah. Bonus is that if the power cuts out, you don't have to worry about heating. If you use an air gapped structure, you could put the steam vent to heat the air gap, which will provide a buffer against the cold outside, but at the same time you won't overheat the living areas.

Takel on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Frankly at this point I consider Veggie Garden necessary. The problem with parkas is you need a ton of the same kind of cloth or leather to make them. Veggie Garden add a loom production station with an option to make blended leather from different types. Makes making clothes considerably less bullshit.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I always grow strawberries as a initial food. Theres no mood penalty for eating them raw, and you can still make simple meals with them once you start cooking. (Mm, roast strawberry, with strawberry glaze, mashed strawberry with strawberry gravy)

I'm growing away from batteries because of bzzrts. I subsist on solar and wind until I can get geothermals. My current map has at least 5 vents, two of which are in my area of control, two more can be brought into my area of control with a second layer of walls. I might make a few batters and uninstall them, they keep charge that way and don't bzzrt, and reinstall them if I ever have a desperate need for power.

As for a colony update, I'm up to 11 colonists now. The two newest members were slaves I bought, because I need a dedicated team of cleaners and haulers. I've begun to dig out my permanent abodes where everyone will have luxurious 7x7 bedrooms. I should have started this earlier, but my excellent+ beds, chairs, and beds, have kept everyones moods in check for living in a barracks, and I have a huge stockpile of smokeleaf and yayo for if moods take a tank from a psychic drone.

I'm currently researching ground penetrating radar, and have begun to stockpile plasteel from traders, sadly I wasn't paying attention and burned my entire 10k wood stockpile on making art for selling, so I've set up a tree growing zone and have begun clearcutting outside my walls, because they are all gonna burn next raid/flashstorm/boomalope so why the fuck not.

Had one of my trading partners get upset and lose go from +60ish reputation to -30 because their caravan came and occupied it by doing laps through my fucking trapped raider funnel switchback until half the caravan was dead

So I butchered their corpses and sold the meat and leather to their next caravan as a message. (and spent like 2500s to get their rep back up sigh)

edit
    Regarding chickens, I read a storya bout a guy who had like 200+ chickens and kept them at his base entrances via zones as meat shields, raiders would go apeshit on them while his shooters dealt with the raiders, and since they breed so fast they'll probably recover by next raid.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    edit
    Regarding chickens, I read a storya bout a guy who had like 200+ chickens and kept them at his base entrances via zones as meat shields, raiders would go apeshit on them while his shooters dealt with the raiders, and since they breed so fast they'll probably recover by next raid.

So more of a white meat shield?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darkmayo wrote: »
    edit

So more of a white meat shield?

Pretty much, plus every murdered chicken is basically free meat (just unforbid the corpse)

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I always grow strawberries as a initial food. Theres no mood penalty for eating them raw, and you can still make simple meals with them once you start cooking. (Mm, roast strawberry, with strawberry glaze, mashed strawberry with strawberry gravy)

I'm growing away from batteries because of bzzrts. I subsist on solar and wind until I can get geothermals. My current map has at least 5 vents, two of which are in my area of control, two more can be brought into my area of control with a second layer of walls. I might make a few batters and uninstall them, they keep charge that way and don't bzzrt, and reinstall them if I ever have a desperate need for power.

As for a colony update, I'm up to 11 colonists now. The two newest members were slaves I bought, because I need a dedicated team of cleaners and haulers. I've begun to dig out my permanent abodes where everyone will have luxurious 7x7 bedrooms. I should have started this earlier, but my excellent+ beds, chairs, and beds, have kept everyones moods in check for living in a barracks, and I have a huge stockpile of smokeleaf and yayo for if moods take a tank from a psychic drone.

I'm currently researching ground penetrating radar, and have begun to stockpile plasteel from traders, sadly I wasn't paying attention and burned my entire 10k wood stockpile on making art for selling, so I've set up a tree growing zone and have begun clearcutting outside my walls, because they are all gonna burn next raid/flashstorm/boomalope so why the fuck not.

Had one of my trading partners get upset and lose go from +60ish reputation to -30 because their caravan came and occupied it by doing laps through my fucking trapped raider funnel switchback until half the caravan was dead

So I butchered their corpses and sold the meat and leather to their next caravan as a message. (and spent like 2500s to get their rep back up sigh)

edit

What about just using a switch to isolate the batteries? That is my go-to method right now. Also for sub-dividing my power network.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Submitted without context.

YT9Devs.png

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Konphujun wrote: »

YT9Devs.png

Figures that's the trade ship you'd do business with.

in completely unrelated news, my artist had a birthday.

and as a gift, he got dementia. now he spends half his time wandering around in a confused stupor

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

YT9Devs.png

and as a gift, he got dementia. now he spends half his time wandering around in a confused stupor

Just like a real artist!

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    edited January 2017

YT9Devs.png

Just like a real artist!

as soon as I capture someone with roughly the same artistic skill, Mr.Dementia is going to take a single pemmican and going to go on a caravan trip to the other side of the world.

My next colony is going to use Prepare Carefully and is going to be a raider colony full of psychopaths.

edit
    aaaand my two researchers got into a fist fight and are laid up in the hospital. so much for tech progress

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    whew i had a close one. On of my dudes had malaria get to 99% Extreme but it ticked over to immunity a second before he died

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    whew i had a close one. On of my dudes had malaria get to 99% Extreme but it ticked over to immunity a second before he died

I had the opposite outcome in my current colony. It was a very tense moment.

• Options
    I just had the most dwarf fortress moment I've ever seen in Rimworld.

Had a siege, complete with two incendiary mortars and about 6-7 guys.

Well, the raids have been feeding me a lot of wonderful equipment..like plasteel gladiuses and personal shields.

Equip my three best melee fighters with shields and plasteel gladiuses and move them down to attack, backed up by my LMG brigade if needed..

Nope, wasn't needed. They proceeded to hack the enemy to bits, only one managed to escape. I claimed their camp, their loot, and their mortars.

as I'm hauling my bounty back to base I get invaded by another wave of maneating boomalopes. Move everyone inside the walls, lock down all the doors, except for the one on the trap switchbacks, which gets held open to draw them in. set up my LMGers with my sentries in the killbox, waiting for the boomalopes to come.

Then one by one my idiot colonists go OH BOY THATS A FINE SOCK and attempt to rush out, through the traps, through the boomalopes, through the fire, to haul them.

I drafted them immediately and sent them to fuck off back at base, cause I don't have time for this shit. Theres still boomalopes alive and coming in by the time I get this sorted, but i'ev handled it well, no one has taken so much as a burn (well, one idiot has a stab wound..FROM THE FUCKING TRAPS). Down to the last couple boomalopes when 3 colonists go rushing into the sentry gunfire and boomalope actual fire. It takes me a solid 3 count to register what happened, turns out the fucking imbeciles that I had ordered to bed rest cause they were hurt from alphabeavers, had a collective, precognitive vision of precious socks and got out of their fucking hospital beds and rushed out into a hail of lead and fire to try and recover them.

I after that 3 count I managed to draft them and order them out of the fucking away. The last couple boomalopes are twitching on the floor and I'm hoping they bleed out cause I don't want to go into the trap maze to finish them myself..

BUT THE DAY HAS BEEN WON. RAIDER SIEGE CAMP IS MINE, BOOMALOPE CORPSES ARE MINE (managed to salvage most of them!), VICTORY IS MINE.

Now I just have to undraft everyone and tend to the injuries of the dumbfuck hospital trio before they bleed out from sentry and LMG shots.

• Options
    How do you euthanize one of your colonists? One of our originals went into a coma and never awoke after a bullet wound to the brain. Tried keeping him alive for a few months, but food is scarce out there.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    How do you euthanize one of your colonists? One of our originals went into a coma and never awoke after a bullet wound to the brain. Tried keeping him alive for a few months, but food is scarce out there.

Health tab, set an operations bill for euthanize. I don't think your colonists will really like it though. Might be better, if the tech is available, to stuff him into a drop pod and launch him far away. then his death wont bother anyone.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Right now im dealing with an overhead poison thingy.

I have a decent food stockpile, so i rapidly cut all my crop fields and covered them with roofing with the objective of converting to hydroponics.

Generally; how do hydroponics yields compare to crop yields?

And how long do these overhead poison things last? I had to scrap a previous game when there was a nuclear fallout overhead thing that just wouldnt end.

• Options

I have a decent food stockpile, so i rapidly cut all my crop fields and covered them with roofing with the objective of converting to hydroponics.

And how long do these overhead poison things last? I had to scrap a previous game when there was a nuclear fallout overhead thing that just wouldnt end.

Hydroponics food grows faster. significantly faster. like..at least twice as fast iirc. maybe even more. but consumes tons of power, I think.

• Options

Hydroponics food grows faster. significantly faster. like..at least twice as fast iirc. maybe even more. but consumes tons of power, I think.

hydroponics basins have 400% growth rate where the best regular soil is 160% iirc

• Options
    That should work well for me actually. I have tons of power right now and i wanted more crops yields for economic output.

My colonists should be safe from the poison while inside my base but how do i deal with sending them out? Is there a way to protect against poison or treat it?

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Delmain wrote: »

hydroponics basins have 400% growth rate where the best regular soil is 160% iirc

Didn't realize it was THAT fast.

Maybe I need to do some hydroponics drugs and devilstrand to bring in the moolah.

Would probably have to buy more slaves to keep up with the crafting.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    That should work well for me actually. I have tons of power right now and i wanted more crops yields for economic output.

My colonists should be safe from the poison while inside my base but how do i deal with sending them out? Is there a way to protect against poison or treat it?

They'll be ok outside for short periods of time. Just don't leave them outside.

• Options

Health tab, set an operations bill for euthanize. I don't think your colonists will really like it though. Might be better, if the tech is available, to stuff him into a drop pod and launch him far away. then his death wont bother anyone.

It's year one. We haven't figured out how to make carpet yet.

• Options

Do you not have a side-entrance into your compound which is like 3-4 stone doors in a row? Normal raiders evaluate their path by taking the shortest route as the crow flys assuming that doors = walls only evaluating how long it'll take to bash them down if there is no clear path

• Options
    edited January 2017

Do you not have a side-entrance into your compound which is like 3-4 stone doors in a row? Normal raiders evaluate their path by taking the shortest route as the crow flys assuming that doors = walls only evaluating how long it'll take to bash them down if there is no clear path

I have entrances at every cardinal direction.

The traders didn't just path through the trap corridor, they went out through it, came back in the regular door, then went out through the trap corridor again, on and on and on, in a infinite loopdeloop of fuckstupidry until many died.

Also another point to having huge numbers of chickens, just saw something about being able to euthanize baby chicks (instead of slaughter/shooting) every day to grind your doctors skill quickly to 20, needs something like 6-8 a day, which from what I understand is easily achievable with chicken production.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Rabid rats/squirrels/bunnies etc... are actually deceptively dangerous. They're very small targets so it's hard to hit them with the survival rifle or pistol unless that pawn is a godlike shooter and they do have the chance to bite off toes or fingers not only lowering the associated attribute but also causing permanent pain until you lop off the limb and replace it with bionics.

That random early rabid tiny animal is actually full red alert for me. I make sure everyone is together and the place is brightly lit until that critter is dead from bullet wounds or from getting pistol/rifle whipped and stabbed to death.

This is what the permitter turrets are for. It doesn't matter how small they are when you have three overlapping fields of fire

KGMvDLc.jpg?1