As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: More for Less

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    This may be slightly off topic but now that I'm enjoying my KS8000 I'm in the market to upgrade my sound system. What's the current status around wireless options for surround sound? Is it still garbage? I really don't want to keep running speaker wire.

What's your current one, your budget and how much do you need to care about neighbors? We just ended up doing a nice soundbar/sub combo and it works great with our TV.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Budget isn't much of an issue though I don't want to remortgage my house. Neighbours are a non-issue. Current system is an older pioneer amp I think with harmon kardon speakers. Only 5.1 though. I'm due.

• BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    @SatanIsMyMotor I mean that should be good enough. I went a little overboard and got some reference Klipsch towers an energy center and a way too expensive yamaha bass at the time (was 700 bucks back when I bought it.) All tied into a mid/high range Sony amp

It's not even 5.1, but with my Klipsch towers I don't need it. Enough sound reflects off the ceiling for me to think that I have speakers behind me.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Yeah, my problem is that I just did renos and really don't want to run unsightly speaker wire or go through the effort of hiding it. Wired front speakers would be fine but I'd much rather have wireless for my rears.

• RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    So, I just picked up the 2016 LG OLED 65" B6, and so far I love the hell out of it. Not sure on the OLED brightness comments I keep reading as this thing is brighter than the sun. Picture is gorgeous, set itself looks great, amd seems a great replacement for my 5 year old Samsung plasma of the same size. I am in a blacked out media room, which may help.

That said, I'm still within the return period, and I keep hearing about input lag. I haven't experienced any issues so far messing with Destiny, Gears, Skyrim, and a few other titles. Is it something that in a month from now I am going to be kicking myself for not returning? So far I am completely in love with this thing.

Here is how I buy new technology.

I decide I want to buy something new. Be that a TV, monitor, graphics card, entire new machine, tablet, phone, whatever.

I immerse myself totally in the industry. I read everything, watch everything, research everything. I decide on my purchase.

And then I bring my purchase home, and this is the most important part. I don't look at that part of the tech industry again for at least 12 months.

There is always something new coming out, something around the corner, something that will make your new shiny toy into a dull and uninteresting bauble after three months. The best way to avoid it is not to know about it, because then you get to appreciate your new toy for what it is, rather than what it could be compared to the new stuff.

Well, as an update now that I've had it a few weeks, its an amazing set. I am fairly convinced that the input lag I keep reading about must only be noticeable if you are way better than I am, because I don't feel the issue at all. And the picture quality feels like it has only gotten better as we've used it.

We used the built in Xbox One video calibration tool, which may be blasphemous I guess, but I tried going to AVS and when they started talking about spreadsheets I just backed away slowly.

Overall, for anyone thinking about one of these, they are phenomenal.

• krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    Well, as an update now that I've had it a few weeks, its an amazing set. I am fairly convinced that the input lag I keep reading about must only be noticeable if you are way better than I am, because I don't feel the issue at all. And the picture quality feels like it has only gotten better as we've used it.

We used the built in Xbox One video calibration tool, which may be blasphemous I guess, but I tried going to AVS and when they started talking about spreadsheets I just backed away slowly.

The input lag issue for the B series will only rear it's head in HDR mode. In non-HDR mode, the LG should have respectable input lag in the mid 30ms range while set to gaming mode.

Only the new Xbox One S and PS4-PRO supports HDR at this time. Making this more complicated, the game will also need to support HDR, which very few games do at this time. In your situation, unless you are playing Gears on an Xbone-S, you won't need to worry about input lag.

Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I had a question about how to minimise audio delay with a KS8000 and a PS4 Pro.

At present I've got the PS4 hooked up via HDMI 2.2 to my KS8000, which in turn is connected to my old Sony receiver, a STR-DH800, by TOSLINK cable. I've got the PS4 set up to send its audio as "Linear (PCM)", though I've now read that TOSLINK cannot do 5.1 PCM. At the same time, I've seen contradictory information on that one.

So, here's my question: how do I best connect my TV, PS4 and receiver to get as little audio delay as possible while also ensuring that I get 5.1 sound?

P.S.: Is it possible that in order to get 4K video, high-quality audioand as little audio delay as possible, I'd basically have to get a new receiver, then hook up the PS4 Pro to that receiver and the receiver to the TV, as opposed to my current PS4<---->KS8000<---->AV receiver setup?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, the ideal solution would be to get a receiver that does HDMI 2.0a and do it the "traditional" way.

The only other way to fix the delay is to add display lag so that the picture matches up - there may be a setting for this in the TV menus somewhere.

a5ehren on
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, looks like it'll be a new receiver - probably not immediately, but within the next few months. With my PS4 Pro I've got a choice between 4K video or 5.1 audio right now, and that's not what I signed up for. Silly... I should've looked into this beforehand, but I never thought that TOSLINK might not be up to PCM audio in 5.1.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    krapst78 wrote: »

The input lag issue for the B series will only rear it's head in HDR mode. In non-HDR mode, the LG should have respectable input lag in the mid 30ms range while set to gaming mode.

Only the new Xbox One S and PS4-PRO supports HDR at this time. Making this more complicated, the game will also need to support HDR, which very few games do at this time. In your situation, unless you are playing Gears on an Xbone-S, you won't need to worry about input lag.

I played through Final Fantasy XV and Tomb Raider with HDR on, and I didn't notice any lag on my LG.

I went and ordered a new AV receiver; so much for "probably not immediately", but I thought there's no point in having several sources only play sound in stereo.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    If I were looking at getting a 50-55" LCD would a budget of $500 be reasonable or will I just get a really low quality tv for that size and price range?

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I got a 55" 1080p LG set years ago for $500, and it looks just fine. So I assume its not too hard to do the same thing today.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    If I were looking at getting a 50-55" LCD would a budget of $500 be reasonable or will I just get a really low quality tv for that size and price range?

Nope, looks like you can get a good mid-range 4k set for 5-550. Techbargains/Dell has a decent Samsung that normally retails for 900 or so right now.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Hot diggity y'all I have an awesome 65" Samsung smart TV and it is so very nice. I have a question about its HBO Now app. I created my current HBO Now account through Google Play. I'd have to make a new Samsung account if I want to use HBO Now through the TV's app. Does anyone know if I can still watch stuff via my PC, phone, etc if I canceled my old account and started a new one? Otherwise I'll just keep streaming through our Chromecast.

Is it the KS8000? Nice piece of tech, isn't it?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    Thirith wrote: »
    Is it the KS8000? Nice piece of tech, isn't it?

Nah. That's a bit too far outside of my price range. I have this model which is still a very nice upgrade from our ~8 year old 42".

That sounds like a pretty substantial upgrade! Did you have that phase at the beginning where the TV almost seems too big? I remember that almost being a dealbreaker for my wife (well, now she's my wife) when I got my first widescreen TV. With our recent upgrade (from 50" to 65"), it just felt like bigger, which is cool, but some friends of us who came over from the UK over Christmas acted as if we had installed the Monolith from 2001 in our living room.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    Thirith wrote: »
    That sounds like a pretty substantial upgrade! Did you have that phase at the beginning where the TV almost seems too big? I remember that almost being a dealbreaker for my wife (well, now she's my wife) when I got my first widescreen TV. With our recent upgrade (from 50" to 65"), it just felt like bigger, which is cool, but some friends of us who came over from the UK over Christmas acted as if we had installed the Monolith from 2001 in our living room.

While it was still in the box yeah. Now that it's up on the wall I wish it was a little bigger.

Now I need a smart hub so I can use voice controls and live in the future.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I did it, after nearly 8 years, I finally ordered a new TV.

Behold... *Inception french horns*

LG-OLED65E6P-Review-31432zepbvxmqhn099c7wq.jpg

Look how THIN this thing is!

Desktop04.jpg

It's such an amazing set, I'm probably going to get slimed by a spooky ghost when it gets here. 8-)

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    You can buy one now?

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    You can buy one now?

2016 model.

Edit: Just have to post another pic.

lgoledsignature.jpg

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Can you buy me one now?

FTFY

Really though, can you take shots of it when its in your house? I dont think my brain can comprehend the way that tv looks.

I just carted my current TV in a pickup to a friend to borrow and enjoy while I try to sell it on CL. My new TV should come within the week. I'm looking at my empty TV stand, practically vibrating with anticipation right now.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You can buy one now?

2016 model.

Edit: Just have to post another pic.

lgoledsignature.jpg

Hmm, no VESA mount compatibility?

That G model has a base that folds up allowing you to mount it using a standard 400x200 vesa mount. The TV in the Spaniard's first image is actually an E model which has the vesa mounting holes in the back electronic panel.

edited January 2017
    krapst78 wrote: »
    That G model has a base that folds up allowing you to mount it using a standard 400x200 vesa mount. The TV in the Spaniard's first image is actually an E model which has the vesa mounting holes in the back electronic panel.

@krapst78 is right. I bought the E model, the G model is the exact same thing, only with a slightly more powerful soundbar that can fold up for mounting. The E model can be mounted too, just not as stylishly as the G model with its folding bottom. If you look at the first image I posted where I say, "Look how thin it is" all you have to do is pop off the foot at the bottom and you can mount it no problem, soundbar and all.

I just got tracking, should arrive by this Saturday. Can't wait!

The_Spaniard on
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    It seems like Amazon has very few TVs in stock. I was looking for a Vizio M 50" and it isn't even listed. Is this because they are waiting to stock the 2017 models?

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Amazon has not had great stock on Vizios for the last year or so for whatever reason (I'd imagine a pricing spat of some kind). They tend to have plenty of Samsungs and LGs, though.

Vizios are widely available in B&M stores, and the 50" models aren't hard to carry unless you don't have a car.

Perhaps is too specific a question, but is there a reliable way to have ARC without having my TV remote also influencing my AV receiver? In this case, I'm talking about a Samsung KS8000 and a Sony STR-DN1070.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I'm looking at TVs this week. What the heck is the difference between Samsung series 6000,7000,8000? The specs look almost identical.

• BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Features and build quality.

"The Series labels are the way Samsung ranks its different models. 9 Series televisions are the best models that Samsung offers, with the best picture quality and technology features, whereas 5 Series are the entry-level models. Different technologies will only feature in certain series, for example Samsung's high-end Quantum Dot display models only appear on Series 7, 8 and 9.

Samsung then applies a Picture Quality Index (PQI) rating to its televisions, which takes into account a number of factors that will affect overall image quality, such as resolution, colour and other image enhancement techniques. So a top of the range Series 9 model might have a PQI rating of 2,400, whereas an entry-level 5 Series model might have a PQI of 300. It's a bit of an arbitrary figure but at least it gives you some rough idea of which sets are better than others.

You can consider 7 Series as the start of Samsung’s more ‘Premium’ range, which is why there’s slightly less disparity in terms of technology and image quality between 7 and 9 Series models. As with many things, there’s a law of diminishing gains as you spend more on a television."

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    It took longer than intended to make it happen, but we finally switched from Comcast to DirecTV. And with a little time with both still active I can say now I am quite sure the picture quality issues after hooking up our KS8000 were due to Comcast's signal. Switching between inputs for DirecTV and Comcast there is a clear difference in picture quality between the same content from each provider. With the new DirecTV input HD programming actually looks like HD again. And their 4K channel looks fantastic.

The more I research TVs the more I want to say fuck it and get the cheap $500 55" at Target.

My current TV setup is all devices plugged into my receiver over HDMI, which outputs over HDMI to the TV, and over wires to a 5.1 speaker set. If I buy an HDR/4k TV, that old receiver won't pass HDR through, correct? I need to direct connect all my inputs into the TV, over HDMI. It seems like I then need to have optical audio out from the TV back to the receiver for the best quality sound.

I don't need any new HDMI cables, do I? They haven't changed?

edited February 2017
    4k/HDR would need new cables. Theres like 8 versions of hdmi at this point, and hdr needs the latest one 2 or 2.1 I think

Foomy on
    Your old receiver will not be able to pass through HDR content unless it supports HDMI 2.0.

You do NOT need to update your HDMI cables as long as they are "high speed". Basically if your cable worked in sending a 1080p signal to your old TV then you should be good to go.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Holy shit that's I lot scary than what we knew they were doing! I've always had the "viewing data" feature off. I think that is my TV's version of what its warning of. Am I safe?

My Vizio is only used for streaming in the sets apps for now until I get another FireTV stuck for it, so turning the internet connectivity all the way off would mean I couldn't use it at all (for the three days until the fire stick I'm about to order from Amazon now arrives).

LostNinja wrote: »
    Holy shit that's I lot scary than what we knew they were doing! I've always had the "viewing data" feature off. I think that is my TV's version of what its warning of. Am I safe?

My Vizio is only used for streaming in the sets apps for now until I get another FireTV stuck for it, so turning the internet connectivity all the way off would mean I couldn't use it at all (for the three days until the fire stick I'm about to order from Amazon now arrives).

Yes. It was just they defaulted that setting to on without telling people.