As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 2017 Fancy Dinner Photos on pg 4, including our special guest!

spool32spool32 Contrary LibraryRegistered User regular
edited January 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hello my lovelies!

It's time for the Fancy Dinner!

The Fancy Dinner Tradition

PAX East D&D has, for as long as I've been a forum member, brought folks together one night during PAX to class up the joint: a semi-formal prix fixe dinner with drinks where you can get your evening wear out or put on a coat and tie (full windsor you heathen) and talk about Important Things like Adults Do. A gathering where we can put faces to names and be people sharing food and conversation, rather than forum handles sharing memes. It's been a fantastic time every chance I've gotten to go, so when South opened up in 2015 we had the inaugural dinner at Guadalajara right next to the convention center. This will the be 3rd year, and hopefully the best one ever!

When does it happen?
This year's dinner will happen on Friday, Jan 27th at 8:00PM. Dinner served at 8:30. Bar closes at 9PM

Who can attend?
Any active forum participant, regardless of how rarely you post, and your +1

I'm in! How do I sign up?

Post below if you want to attend, and if you're bringing a +1.

The Venue
Now that we're over 20ppl I've located a new spot for us. We're upgrading to a library! Located in the old San Antonio Library space, the spot for this year is Biga on the Banks. Consistently rated in the top 3 locations for dinner on the Riverwalk, they serve New American with a Texas flare and everything I've seen or read about them says they should be able to really put together a fun setting for us. Have a look a the room we'll be using:
10f5pjp33pbf.jpg

This is the Alamo room (fk yeah), a private dining room on the 2nd floor with a semi-private balcony overlooking the Riverwalk! Biga maintains a separate kitchen for parties like this so we won't be waiting on the main restaurant for our food, and we'll have our own wait staff so we should be able to relax and enjoy ourselves without needing to chase down anything or wonder when the next course is coming out.

Where is this place??
Biga is (according to the maps I've looked at) a couple of blocks farther than our old spot. It's right off Market, close to the convention, walkable if your legs function, a short Uber ride if not, or you could even river taxi to it because our room will open up onto a 2nd floor terrace with access to the river. From the front doors of the convention center, Google says it's a 10min walk down Market st. Here's a map:
original-map.gif

What is the menu this year?

Hors D'Oeuvres
Hot & crunchy shrimp served on a sugar cane
Game packet spring roll with Asian dipping sauce
Smoked salmon nacho with escabeche vegetables & crème fraiche

Salad
house made artisan bread
bibb, arugula, and radicchio, tiny tomatoes, citrus vinaigrette, dried cranberries, cheesy herb lavosh, toasted pepitas

Choice of Entree
Pan roasted seasonal Gulf fish (Texas redfish, red snapper or Mahi according to availability) over sautéed Farmers Market veggies, herbs and fingerling potatoes with a garlic basil pesto buerre blanc
Or
Beef tenderloin medallions, smoky pepper demi, roasted fingerling potatoes, slow baked tomato and seasonal vegetables, béarnaise ($5 extra)

Dessert
Mexican chocolate mousse with pecan praline and Kahlua anglaise, raspberry coulis
Iced Blackcurrant Tea & Sumatra Blend Coffee included with dinner

Alcohol!
Bar open from 8pm - 9pm: Premium liquors, house wines by the glass, domestic & imported beers

What does this hootenanny cost?!
Let's break it down for you:
$70/person
+$5 if you want the beef
+$16 if you want to drink at the bar (no limit)

How do I pay?

Please PM me if you'd like to pay beforehand - Venmo is the best solution for that, but cash on the barrelhead is probably best. Let me know via PM how you want to do this! I do not do PayPal.

I have other questions!!!
Ask them below, or PM me.

We hope to see you all there!

The 2015 Thread
The 2016 Thread

Signups below!
spool32 and Belasco
Atomika
Squeakel
21stcentury
TheRoadVirus and +1
So It Goes
Milski
Delmain
Ludious & Chelleyeah
Lord Palington & bonobogrl
Redx
N1tSt4lker
Hahnsoo1 +1
Giggles Funsworth and Melinoe
OnTheLastCastle
AresProphet

spool32 on

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Mark me down as a tentative yes
    Wife will be in attendance with me if we attend.
    Do we know offhand what the price is approximately?

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Last year was $55 per person for apps, dinner, dessert, and a complimentary Texas libation. I suspect we might creep up to $60 but we shall see.

spool32 on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    If we need extra folks ive convinced three non forum folks to come to pax this year so I could bring them along but understand if you want only forumites

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Yes, me only!

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Sup spool bby. You know I'll be there. :P

I ate an engineer
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Oooh, new Southites!

I am in (solo), as per usual

Delmain wrote: »
    Oooh, new Southites!

I request you bring One Night a Werewolf again! That game was a lot of fun.

I ate an engineer
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Yeah Chelle and I are coming

• Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    I have attempted to One Night Werewolf sans @Delmain once, it was so much less fun it was as though it weren't even the same game! Therefore, I will only One Night Werewolf with Delmain. *sage nod*

Belasco32 wrote: »
    I have attempted to One Night Werewolf sans @Delmain once, it was so much less fun it was as though it weren't even the same game! Therefore, I will only One Night Werewolf with Delmain. *sage nod*

I plan to get way into it and shout deceptions with gusto! Good luck to our neighbors...

I ate an engineer
    edited January 2017
    How dressy is this? Dress pants and shoes and tie and button down? O lr like vest or suit jacket or what

Erin The Red on
    edited January 2017
    Does anyone have an extra bed or couch in their room Fri and sat nights

So It Goes on
    milski wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    Oooh, new Southites!

I request you bring One Night a Werewolf again! That game was a lot of fun.

No lie, it lives in my car (the only game for which that is true) so that I can bust it out whenever I'm somewhere with some time. It's almost always a winner.
    Belasco32 wrote: »

I plan to get way into it and shout deceptions with gusto! Good luck to our neighbors...

Yessssssssssssss

working as intended

How dressy is this? Dress pants and shoes and tie and button down? O lr like vest or suit jacket or what

Coat and tie is the traditional dress though I have seen the occasional sweater over tie. I will be wearing a jacket

and of course a patriotic lapel pin because I'm not a communist.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Coat and tie is the traditional dress though I have seen the occasional sweater over tie. I will be wearing a jacket

and of course a patriotic lapel pin because I'm not a communist.

I'll be wearing my hammer-and-sickle brooch because I am a communist амеяёкап ратяют тотэм

Omg @So It Goes !!

Aghhhhhhhhh!!!!

Sorry this is very spontaneous

I have a room reserved but it can easily be cancelled

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    ;-; wish I could be there

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Oh, cool, i'll finally meet atomika in person! :)

So It Goes wrote: »
    Sorry this is very spontaneous

I have a room reserved but it can easily be cancelled

Nooooo

I can't wait to finally meet you, is all

This is good screaming :biggrin:

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I will sadly be unable to attend, but I will be at PAX South if any of you actually want to meet me in person and haven't yet.

I will sadly be unable to attend, but I will be at PAX South if any of you actually want to meet me in person and haven't yet.

Aww. I definitely want to catch you IRL, but y u no dinner?

I ate an engineer
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Third year running, you can add @bonobogrl and I to the mix. After last year, she finally made a forum account. Maybe after this year she'll actually post.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Aww. I definitely want to catch you IRL, but y u no dinner?

Girlfriend health issues, can't make plans for something expensive because it's likely we would have to back out. Plus she wants to keep things casual. She works for CPS and has been wanting to let her hair down for a while now.

But you should meet up with me anyway! <3

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Agreed! I will be there in spirit. Have a wonderful time! One of these days...

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Put me down as basically a yes.

I think.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    Aioua wrote: »

wtf vowels

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Guys, I guess I just volunteered to be an Enforcer for PAX South. So I think I'll attend this (tentatively). :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Oh nice!

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Oh, my brother says he may be going with me to the Fancy Dinner. So make that a +1. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Oh, my brother says he may be going with me to the Fancy Dinner. So make that a +1. :D

Twice the nice!

I ate an engineer
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    I would like to attend, me plus @Melinoe

How fixed are RSVPs? I signed up to be an Enforcer and am not sure if that will conflict yet. I said no preference for scheduling because I did not think about this.

@Aioua has attended twice and he enforces, so it shouldn't conflict. Glad to have you both!

We've had cancellations in the past and Guadalajara is pretty flexible. If we go somewhere else (because you two make 20!) I'll make sure it won't be an issue.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Aioua has attended twice and he enforces, so it shouldn't conflict. Glad to have you both!

We've had cancellations in the past and Guadalajara is pretty flexible. If we go somewhere else (because you two make 20!) I'll make sure it won't be an issue.

@Giggles_Funsworth if you get scheduled for evening shift it would conflict, but you can generally swap shifts within your department so it shouldn't be too big a deal

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I will attend. I may +1

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    +1 your mom that is

Is she nice and free

Jk maybe +1

Why jk? My mom is a classy lady