As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Trump Administration

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited January 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
Just two weeks and America will once again be great. You're gonna be so proud of your president. This is a thread to talk about how great, and how proud.

Ground Rules:

Don't be dickholes.
This is not a general politics thread.
Not a 2016 election thread.
Shut up.

--

Out in California land they hired conservative boogeyman Eric Holder to represent the state in any upcoming litigation against the Trump White House. Some part of that just has to be the Holder name, right?

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    Holder? I hardly even know her.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I anxiously await for Trump to mock the Navy for their climate change research before he presumably rejects any spending proposals to make adjustments for it.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    We're gonna make our OWN country, with healthcare and jobs!

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I think California is just looking for every available way to flip the bird to the incoming adminstration.

They really want to be the city on the hill, beset by the Trumpian hordes.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Two weeks to go until his inauguration and at this point I am absolutely convinced that Trump's presidency is going to wind up being seen as some bizarre collective fever dream.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I think California is just looking for every available way to flip the bird to the incoming adminstration.

What's sad is that Calexit means that the state inmediatly gets a visit from the Chinese Navy looking to annex a new colony.

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I really don't want the California state government to be baiting Trump into fucking Californians over, because he can fuck us over and has no qualms about doing it for the pettiest reasons. But a lot of this "Jerry Brown gonna stand up to Trump!" narrative seems ginned up by the media. Of course, Jerry Brown is going to say he'll stand up to Trump, just like any Democratic politician in any state would. Doesn't mean he's looking for a fight.

Hoz on
    TryCatcher wrote: »

What's sad is that Calexit means that the state inmediatly gets a visit from the Chinese Navy looking to annex a new colony.
    China doesn't even have the balls to seize Taiwan. Even though everyone would totally look the other way if they did.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'd really prefer if he doesn't have to stomp California into the dirt cause my parents, brother, sister-in-law, and 10 month old niece live there.

He's going to rip apart so many families over the course of his presidency.

Mx. Quill on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    I really don't want the California state government to be baiting Trump into fucking Californians over, because he can fuck us over and has no qualms about doing it for the pettiest reasons. But a lot of this "Jerry Brown gonna stand up to Trump!" narrative seems ginned up by the media. Of course, Jerry Brown is going to say he'll stand up to Trump, just like any Democratic politician in any state would. Doesn't mean he's looking for a fight.

I'm waiting for him to threaten to nuke LA if he doesn't get his Emmy.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    New SEC head is a Goldman lawyer.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    If California wants to butter up Trump while doing exactly what they want, they should persuade Hollywood to give him a "Special lifetime achievement Oscar." This will make him so happy he will not care whatever else they do.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    New SEC head is a Goldman lawyer.

Of course he is. #draintheswamp

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    edited January 2017
    Goldman Sachs: We tried in 2008, but in 2018 we're going to succeed goddamnit!

Taramoor on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'd really prefer if he doesn't have to stomp California into the dirt cause my parents, brother, sister-in-law, and 10 month old niece live there.

Who's doing the ripping? This past X-mas my brother (Lives in California) refused to visit my family for the holidays because they live in a permanent red state. There has been lots of disagreement politically over the last 8 years between us but we never wanted to seperate ourselves from his life or blame him because he was on the other side. Now its okay for him to do that to us? I was extremely pissed to find this out (of course after the election).

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    azith28 wrote: »

Who's doing the ripping?

Likely the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

Undead Scottsman on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Edit: Doh, fake account.

Couscous on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Who's doing the ripping?

Likely the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

Also all the dead people from lack of medical care and covered up police abuse.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    That's not a real Twitter account.

(not that he wouldn't actually say that for real, but still...)

Mike Pence is 100% full of shit 24/7 but it's not his style to be inflammatory.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Can

can I have a cry gents?

I'm gonna have a cry.

*sobs*

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Just wait until he's on US Currency.

Don't think he's not going to try that.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

States can't leave the union. Period.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

The notion of that always bothered me from a legal perspective, despite being a fierce anti-Confederate myself. You'd figure if a majority of state delegations voted to allow a state to leave, then that would constitute mutual consent or something. I could easily see conservatives being behind that in theory, on the mistaken assumption that the blue states are the takers, so if a blue state wanted out a majority of state delegations could be pushed to approve.

I get that the legal standard doesn't exist for that, but it should. No union should be binding in perpetuity since all government comes from consent, even if a small-l liberal view of secessionism goes to dangerous places (whether for the ulterior motives of secessionists or just to prevent large, functional states from becoming a nest of small, weak countries that have less of an ability to provide for their citizens).

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Well, they are currently redoing the paper currency designs

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    You would need an amendment to provide for a legal secession. Not impossible, but it would be tough.

edited January 2017
    Our political climate is so crazy that it doesn't seem that implausible that there could be enough states that want California out of the union to pass that amendment.

Hoz on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

You should be so lucky, trump is probably going to try to get the crazyhorse carving changed to his likeness because those four other guys got their faces carved into a mountain.

edited January 2017
    Will Trump finally mint the Platinum coin?

Which is more likely: "In Trump we Trust" or "In God we Trump"?

E Pluribus Trump

Taramoor on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

The notion of that always bothered me from a legal perspective, despite being a fierce anti-Confederate myself. You'd figure if a majority of state delegations voted to allow a state to leave, then that would constitute mutual consent or something. I could easily see conservatives being behind that in theory, on the mistaken assumption that the blue states are the takers, so if a blue state wanted out a majority of state delegations could be pushed to approve.

I get that the legal standard doesn't exist for that, but it should. No union should be binding in perpetuity since all government comes from consent, even if a small-l liberal view of secessionism goes to dangerous places (whether for the ulterior motives of secessionists or just to prevent large, functional states from becoming a nest of small, weak countries that have less of an ability to provide for their citizens).

One state leaving damages all the states with the repercussion. It's to prevent some tiny state like Vermont from destabilizing a nation of hundreds of millions because of the short sighted extremism at the state capital.

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

One state leaving damages all the states with the repercussion. It's to prevent some tiny state like Vermont from destabilizing a nation of hundreds of millions because of the short sighted extremism at the state capital.

If that's your goal, you failed completely. Your entire country just got destabilized hard because of the extremism a few (shitty) states' capital.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Enc wrote: »

States can 100% leave, you would "just" need a constitutional amendment to do it

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Will Trump finally mint the Platinum coin?

Which is more likely: "In Trump we Trust" or "In God we Trump"?

E Pluribus Trump

You think Trump is going to be involved in the creation of a coin of any type other than gold?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    edited January 2017
    *beat*

Gaddez on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Also I ain't super happy about Megyn Kelly leaving Fox because while she's not someone I consider a nice person, she was practically the only popular voice on FOX who ever willing to criticize the GOP.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

"states can't leave the union" is misleading

States can't leave the union without the consent of 3/4ths of the states.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Also I ain't super happy about Megyn Kelly leaving Fox because while she's not someone I consider a nice person, she was practically the only popular voice on FOX who ever willing to criticize the GOP.

The easy answer is to treat Fox like the faux journalism that it is and just not watch them at all.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve

The thing about megan kelly that John stewart pointed out years ago, is that she only opposes the GOP/conservatives/FOX when it directly and personally effects her.

edited January 2017
    Aioua wrote: »

"states can't leave the union" is misleading

States can't leave the union without the consent of 3/4ths of the states.
    Dude: can you imagine if new york seceded, and then refused to grant trump entry?

Gaddez on
This discussion has been closed.