As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rimworld] 7 year olds can wield firearms. Biotech released!

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Shrublands are very hard. 2 days in everyone is dying of heatstroke

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Shrublands are very hard. 2 days in everyone is dying of heatstroke

My current game is in shrubland and I must have hit the climate jackpot because my temperatures range from 20-35 C over the course of a year (not counting heat waves etc.)

Its pretty boss being able to grow year round

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    So, caravans don't respect forbidden doors.

So the wood door I threw up to keep the stupid, dumb fuck, inbred, moronic caravaners out of my trap corridor was completely pointless, and I had to slap a wooden wall behind it just to keep them from doing the goddamn fucking loopdeloop of trap trigger roulette like the last caravan did.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Post a screenshot of your colony. I want to see why they could possibly think it's a good idea to keep running through that crap

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    fq7iq52gdinj.jpg

I just loaded up the game and the save to take the picture, the wood wall chunk blocking off the trap corridor was just built but haven't progressed the game to let them get out.

They basically go out through the trap corridor swing left and back up in to the regular door, then back out again, before I blocked it off.

edit
    I wonder if a chemfuel generator can produce enough power to generate a surplus of chemfuel from one of my annoyingly many chemfuel deep drill deposits.

Buttcleft on
    base.jpg 467.2K
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    so this might be a dumb question but do sunlamps work on normal crops?

like if you just have a normal grow area in normal soil, but under a roof, will sunlamps work on them?

or just hydroponics

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Al_wat wrote: »
    so this might be a dumb question but do sunlamps work on normal crops?

like if you just have a normal grow area in normal soil, but under a roof, will sunlamps work on them?

or just hydroponics

Yeah, sunlamps let you grow 24/7 from the safety of the indoors, as long as the temperature is kept in the right range. They take a fair bit of power, but a couple of sunlamps can give you enough constant growing area to make quite a bit of food pretty fast.

You can put sunlamps outside as well, but they'll short out and break if they're on when it rains.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Sunlamps on normal soil crops is a fundamental aspect of my colonies. Greenhouses so you can continue to grow stuff year round on a map that normally only has 10 days of enough warmth for stuff to grow. It's also the only way you're going to be able to have a sustainable tree plantation on such maps.

And speaking of greenhouses, a mod that allows you to build transparent to light roofs. AKA the lost technologies of a glass roof. Obviously going to break things to hell and back because now you don't even need to have a sunlamp for your greenhouses.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    oh man I had made the assumption they only worked with hydroponics.

In my savegame I mentioned earlier, I'm saved right at the point where a poison atmosphere is in effect and I started ripping up my fields aiming to replace them with hydroponics. What I should have done is just roof them and stick some sunlamps.

I still have a lot to learn about this game (I only picked it up last week)

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Sunlamps on normal soil crops is a fundamental aspect of my colonies. Greenhouses so you can continue to grow stuff year round on a map that normally only has 10 days of enough warmth for stuff to grow. It's also the only way you're going to be able to have a sustainable tree plantation on such maps.

And speaking of greenhouses, a mod that allows you to build transparent to light roofs. AKA the lost technologies of a glass roof. Obviously going to break things to hell and back because now you don't even need to have a sunlamp for your greenhouses.

Eh, there's a number of ways they player should "break" the game regardless; I wouldn't even want to try and bother with the base, unmodded game, simply because of the lack of a slew of quality-of-life features (and many, if not most, of those "break" the game by making certain things much easier or more manageable).

The power draw of sunlamps is fairly absurd anyway. A thousand watts of power for one light bulb? Just make it a reasonable power cost and let people put as much growing inside as they want, it's not like there aren't other things that impact indoor living now.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Like many others, I started a new colony for A16 because I wanted to experience everything there was to be had.

Unfortunately, I've found the caravan portion of the game to be pretty clunky, and the one time I tried it I ended up sending everyone to their doom via starvation. So basically I've ended up creating a self-sustaining colony that pretty much stays where it is and fends off all comers. It's still super-fun though... I freaking love this game! I do, however, require mods because, as mentioned above, there are some really questionable design decisions in Rimworld that I feel need to be sorted out.

For instance, a mod that lets me research and build circuit breakers. Hey, no more random explosions in my walls!

Enhanced tabs so I can see everyone's medical conditions, manage all my animals, and see what wildlife exists in my immediate area so I can assign hunters to them without going on a map-wide pixel hunt. Wow!

The ability to restrict certain workbench tasks based on skill, so that I can have low-skill cooks butcher meat and build their skill before poisoning the entire colony with their wretched cuisine.

Also, I've found I just cannot live without the ability to research and build my own cybernetics. I played the vanilla game for awhile in A15, and would always end up buying some cybernetics to help out colonists who had developed "disabilities" that occur on these ever-hostile planets. Not only were they generally too expensive, but even when I had the cash for them, it was a complete crap shoot if I'd ever see the thing I needed. Now I just build what I want. For instance, I had a colonist take a bullet to the brain (someone else mentioned this happening above, ending up with a useless corpse that keeps eating). She was still sort've conscious but pretty much everything was massively impaired. I started by building a brain stimulator which got her up to 65% effectiveness... but I thought that was still too low. So, I started a bionic crusade, replacing both eyes, ears, and all limbs with cybernetics, as well as an exoskeleton suit. This has brought her up to about 105% effectiveness in most things, though her movement is somewhere around 135%.

I have no idea how much all that stuff cost me, all to bring a colonist back to slightly above average. A colonist whose main contribution was research, in a time when I've no need for such because everything has been researched. Still, it's worth noting that I wouldn't have all these wonderful technologies without her, so I consider it a nice 'thank you' gift. :P

My next colony is 100% going to be a psychotic raider group though... constantly on the move and hostile to everyone.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Like many others, I started a new colony for A16 because I wanted to experience everything there was to be had.

Unfortunately, I've found the caravan portion of the game to be pretty clunky, and the one time I tried it I ended up sending everyone to their doom via starvation. So basically I've ended up creating a self-sustaining colony that pretty much stays where it is and fends off all comers. It's still super-fun though... I freaking love this game! I do, however, require mods because, as mentioned above, there are some really questionable design decisions in Rimworld that I feel need to be sorted out.

For instance, a mod that lets me research and build circuit breakers. Hey, no more random explosions in my walls!

Enhanced tabs so I can see everyone's medical conditions, manage all my animals, and see what wildlife exists in my immediate area so I can assign hunters to them without going on a map-wide pixel hunt. Wow!

The ability to restrict certain workbench tasks based on skill, so that I can have low-skill cooks butcher meat and build their skill before poisoning the entire colony with their wretched cuisine.

Also, I've found I just cannot live without the ability to research and build my own cybernetics. I played the vanilla game for awhile in A15, and would always end up buying some cybernetics to help out colonists who had developed "disabilities" that occur on these ever-hostile planets. Not only were they generally too expensive, but even when I had the cash for them, it was a complete crap shoot if I'd ever see the thing I needed. Now I just build what I want. For instance, I had a colonist take a bullet to the brain (someone else mentioned this happening above, ending up with a useless corpse that keeps eating). She was still sort've conscious but pretty much everything was massively impaired. I started by building a brain stimulator which got her up to 65% effectiveness... but I thought that was still too low. So, I started a bionic crusade, replacing both eyes, ears, and all limbs with cybernetics, as well as an exoskeleton suit. This has brought her up to about 105% effectiveness in most things, though her movement is somewhere around 135%.

I have no idea how much all that stuff cost me, all to bring a colonist back to slightly above average. A colonist whose main contribution was research, in a time when I've no need for such because everything has been researched. Still, it's worth noting that I wouldn't have all these wonderful technologies without her, so I consider it a nice 'thank you' gift. :P

My next colony is 100% going to be a psychotic raider group though... constantly on the move and hostile to everyone.

Perhaps I have misunderstood this one but I think that is in the base game. I don't play with mods and I am pretty sure I have seen that in the details section for bills.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I just had the most dwarf fortress moment I've ever seen in Rimworld.

I either draft everyone, even non-combatants for every raid to prevent this sort of thing, or on smaller colonies just have a "non-combatant" restriction zone I set the scrubs to during raids so they can't leave, or on larger colonies just forbid all the exit doors to trap people inside. Generally tho I go the drafting route, and make sure all bonded pets are assigned to someone that isn't fighting so all the animals rally to a safe spot too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    azhais wrote: »

I either draft everyone, even non-combatants for every raid to prevent this sort of thing, or on smaller colonies just have a "non-combatant" restriction zone I set the scrubs to during raids so they can't leave, or on larger colonies just forbid all the exit doors to trap people inside. Generally tho I go the drafting route, and make sure all bonded pets are assigned to someone that isn't fighting so all the animals rally to a safe spot too.

a dog and a muffalo bonded to one of my melee fighters. every fight I have to heal them up from my own LMG fire.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

a dog and a muffalo bonded to one of my melee fighters. every fight I have to heal them up from my own LMG fire.

train the muffalo in combat

a herd of them will fuck up an incoming raid

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

...You know you can tell them not to follow now right?

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

...You know you can tell them not to follow now right?

... I did not.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I bought several wolves off a trader and they bonded with the entire colony. Then we had a maneater invasion of the elephants. We managed to survive, but all the wolves died and as a result the entire colony sank into a berserk depression which DID finish us off.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I bought several wolves off a trader and they bonded with the entire colony. Then we had a maneater invasion of the elephants. We managed to survive, but all the wolves died and as a result the entire colony sank into a berserk depression which DID finish us off.

Trap corridors seem quite adept at dealing with them.

IF anything does manage to get through a killbox with 6+ turrets can probably deal with the remainder. I've had maneating boomalopes, elephants, rhinos, etc and nothing got past the killbox.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I never use traps. They are never worth the hassle for me. A good killbox with a filter into a line of turrets and spots of wall for my colonists with guns to hide behind can take on anything this game throws at me.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Delmain wrote: »
    I never use traps. They are never worth the hassle for me. A good killbox with a filter into a line of turrets and spots of wall for my colonists with guns to hide behind can take on anything this game throws at me.

Fair enough, I do know that I might not do them next time cause I didn't realize they had to be loaded with more stone, and its kind of put a hamper on my ability to keep slade in stock..but god damn if they haven't done wonders at blunting pretty much every attack

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Trap corridors seem quite adept at dealing with them.

IF anything does manage to get through a killbox with 6+ turrets can probably deal with the remainder. I've had maneating boomalopes, elephants, rhinos, etc and nothing got past the killbox.

My civilization didn't survive long enough to build my full perimeter. We were about halfway through building the sandstone wall when winter hit and we had to prioritize survival.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Okay, so blocking off the door has not kept the caravaners out of my traps.

infact, they just now run from one end of the trap corridor to the other, triggering every trap until they die. I honestly don't even want to play this colony anymore because its so fucking tiresome dealing with this stupid bullshit that I literally have no control over.

I found a mod that gives you a spot that forces caravaners to loiter in a specific area..but its apparently not for 16
    edit
    apparently the mod had a separate workshop item for 16..gonna use this and see if it fixes it.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Maybe the answer is that unrealistic trap tunnels aren't something you can pull off?

• Options
    azhaisazhais Registered User regular

Well, yes, they're bonded to someone. For combat I'd rather just have them be minorly sad about not being their yorkie's master for 2 minutes than deal with 6 months of "FLUFFY DIED"

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Well, yes, they're bonded to someone. For combat I'd rather just have them be minorly sad about not being their yorkie's master for 2 minutes than deal with 6 months of "FLUFFY DIED"

hmmm yorkies

is there an ankle stat in this game?

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »

hmmm yorkies

is there an ankle stat in this game?

The only yorkie I've dropped in with so far was immediately eaten by a bear.

• Options
    Had an infestation event.

4 Megaspiders.

Thankfully murder brigade was more than enough for them. two LMGs, 1 Machine pistol, and a charge rifle, in less than a day I killed all the mega spiders, all the little shits that spawn with them, and bashed the hives to the ground.

I also had a couple thrumbos spawn on my map! Managed to bait one through my trap tunnel, which hurt it pretty bad..and my pillbox of turrets and LMGers finished it off. Sadly the second one managed to skip off the edge before I could bait him back too.

I've also begun researching my ship components!

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular

Deadfall traps made from steel are beast mode. I have a corridor filled with them, and almost nothing survives to even get shot at by my turrets, save for animals too small to set off the traps.

The downside is, of course, colonists setting off the traps while trying to re-arm them. Maybe that makes them not worthwhile, but it is satisfying to see a massive raid torn to shit with literally no effort on my part.

I did also have the issue of traders wandering into my traps... it was odd because the traders usually didn't hang out in that area, but for some reason they did this one time. Set off the traps while wandering and became hostile. I shrugged, not really concerned with their settlement being angry at me because I run an impenetrable fortress.

• Options

Deadfall traps made from steel are beast mode. I have a corridor filled with them, and almost nothing survives to even get shot at by my turrets, save for animals too small to set off the traps.

The downside is, of course, colonists setting off the traps while trying to re-arm them. Maybe that makes them not worthwhile, but it is satisfying to see a massive raid torn to shit with literally no effort on my part.

I did also have the issue of traders wandering into my traps... it was odd because the traders usually didn't hang out in that area, but for some reason they did this one time. Set off the traps while wandering and became hostile. I shrugged, not really concerned with their settlement being angry at me because I run an impenetrable fortress.

@Toxic Pickle Trader Spot solves the issue nicely, so glad I found it cause I was about to burn everything to the ground in annoyance.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    What's the trick to interacting with traders?

select the guy with the highest social skill, then rightclick on the guy from the trader group that has question marks coming off him.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    First trading group to visit me, the visit goes fine. Then they leave.

I ignore them then glance over and, uh, one of them is lying dead outside my walls. Oh well free loot.

• Options
    Sometimes people visit and aren't traders. No question mark means they're just there to eat your food.

• Options
    theres the hospitality mod thats supposed to remedy some of that. Like you can setup guest rooms and stuff and it increases your factions relations.

• Options
    theres the hospitality mod thats supposed to remedy some of that. Like you can setup guest rooms and stuff and it increases your factions relations.

Just having people come eat your food increases relations. There's already a core purpose to it. The mod just makes the game easier.

• Options
    Its sad this game doesn't have Dorf Fortress style flood gates

those solved so many pesky problems.....

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Welp, I fear that Kevin's terrible no-good very bad day has destroyed my western-themed colony.

We had just finished our outer walls when the first raiders of the day showed up. Everything was going well until Kevin's pet worg took a shotgun blast at close range.

Kevin wasn't too happy about that, but things were looking up when he sister showed up. Unfortunately his sister was being chased by a second pack of raiders. These guys got off some really lucky hits and managed to kill both Kevin's sister, and his friend, the barkeeper. Kevin understandably wasn't too happy about this so he kind of flew off the handle.

That's when Kevin's wife decided that she's had enough of his bullshit, and shot him in the foot. Unfortunately she shot him in the foot with a sniper rifle, so now Kevin does not have his pet worg, his sister, his friend, or his foot.

Kevin never really came back from that, and neither did the colony. Eventually he lost it again, and his wife decided to aim for the head this time. So now I'm left with two reasonable colonists, one pacifist colonist who will not do manual labour, a colonist without a leg who has survived two botched peg-leg operations, and an ever-increasing group of pigs which keep spawning in.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I had a perfect starting party. Everything was amazing. Everything was perfect. But why is this colonist always unhappy and in pain?

Oh, he has fucking cancer.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    So... this happened. ( keep in mind Mick does not have a leg, Kars has a severed spinal cord, and Nelly cannot fight)
    pHrLoHU.jpg
    Somehow, Nilsson (Kevin's wife) ended up getting up after being downed, taking out the second last raider, before they blew the lid off the ancient cryptoslumber chamber
    rqKY07H.jpg
    Then shit got real
    v150yDZ.jpg
    Weirdly enough, I've pretty much entirely recovered from this, though Nelly is the only colonist left who even remembers who the originals were. Months later, that scyther is still twitching on the ground, because I don't have a way to deal with it yet.

Also, Mick survived four peg-leg operations before finally a last ditch attempt by Nilsson as she was slowly bleeding out jammed it on.

Nilsson then went insane and marched off to fight the closest rhino she could find.
    e2AXL3C.jpg

The latest batch of colonists, which are largely from the cryptosleep pods (I accidentally opened them):
    nBrMOmB.jpg

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1