As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rummy is getting sued by zee Germans

2»

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I can´t see a German court taking this case on.

As Locks already said, Germany is not prosecuting Rumsfeld.
    At least not at the moment.

Other posters said that it would be a bad thing for international realtions between our two countries and I tend to agree... a bit.
    Yes, politically it would be a rather silly move, that´s why it won´t happen.
    But seeing that it already is a US/German venture of human rights organisations, it wouldn´t be a bad thing to set an example for international rights.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This is incredibly stupid move for Germany. some of the US's torture facilities were located in Europe, so I imagine european countries were aware of what was going on. I imagine most european's countries have torture facilities too. Charging Rumsfield could give the US an opening to charge other countries with war crimes too, and not just have everyone focus on the USA.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    designMcGeedesignMcGee Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If he violated the law, he violated the law.

designMcGee on
    sig_uso.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This is not the German government's doing. A Us civil rights group is just trying to use Geman law as a way of prosecuting him becasue of an odd law in Germany.

filing the suit is one thing. Getting the German authorities to do anything with it is another thnig entirely

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This is incredibly stupid move for Germany. some of the US's torture facilities were located in Europe, so I imagine european countries were aware of what was going on. I imagine most european's countries have torture facilities too.

:?:
    Charging Rumsfield could give the US an opening to charge other countries with war crimes too, and not just have everyone focus on the USA.

You're welcome to dump Blair in Gitmo.

Gorak on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    This is incredibly stupid move for Germany. some of the US's torture facilities were located in Europe, so I imagine european countries were aware of what was going on. I imagine most european's countries have torture facilities too. Charging Rumsfield could give the US an opening to charge other countries with war crimes too, and not just have everyone focus on the USA.
    I'm sure you could find some torture facilities in Eastern Europe, but I'm not aware of any torture going on in Western Europe. And why would the US go after countries helping them with torture outsourcing? I don't think American government officials will want to actively expose what they've been doing. But, hey, I'm in favor of all torturers going to jail, so whatever.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Look for quite a few members of the Bush Administration to not leave the country.

Ever.

¡A Argentina!

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Charging Rumsfield could give the US an opening to charge other countries with war crimes too, and not just have everyone focus on the USA.

You assume that we don't already. (Not countries, per se, but individuals.) It's very do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    I'm sure you could find some torture facilities in Eastern Europe, but I'm not aware of any torture going on in Western Europe. And why would the US go after countries helping them with torture outsourcing? I don't think American government officials will want to actively expose what they've been doing. But, hey, I'm in favor of all torturers going to jail, so whatever.

Do you think nations want people to know they are commiting torture? obviously not, but I imagine most if not all countries commit torture. The public just doesn't realize it and there aren't of reporters looking for everything and anything that is wrong with those countries to discover the truth. If you honestly believe that a country doesn't perform torture, your naive at best. A country needs to be big and mean to some people to survive. its just how many people the country has to be mean to that determines the countrys quality.

Why would the US point out a country is performing torture? well because they are pointing out the US is.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Elkamil wrote:

Do you think nations want people to know they are commiting torture? obviously not, but I imagine most if not all countries commit torture. The public just doesn't realize it and there aren't of reporters looking for everything and anything that is wrong with those countries to discover the truth. If you honestly believe that a country doesn't perform torture, your naive at best. A country needs to be big and mean to some people to survive. its just how many people the country has to be mean to that determines the countrys quality.

Why would the US point out a country is performing torture? well because they are pointing out the US is.

Well then, if this is true then perhaps Rummy needs to pay the price for forgetting to keep his secret tourture more of a FUCKING SECRET THEN.

sigh

Look, tourture is a lousy way to get info. It's unreliable, not cost effective and generally unpopular. It results in bad information. Bribes and blackmail work much better and are far less messy. Nations do not need to torture people to survive, despite what the conspiricy theorists may think.

heres some reading for ya

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/050214fa_fact6?050214fa_fact6

http://blog.case.edu/mxs24/2006/11/13/the_fallacy_of_tortures_effectiveness3

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14924664/site/newsweek/

quote from the last link:

"In recent interviews with NEWSWEEK reporters, U.S. intelligence officers say they have little—if any—evidence that useful intelligence has been obtained using techniques generally understood to be torture."

edit: I guess all those girls who confessed to being witches while under tourture EVEN THOUGH THEY KNEW THEY WOULD BE BURNED ALIVE FOR IT were actually witches then.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    NinjacratNinjacrat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Why is it every time someone posts something like this, I get this vision of a greasy 13 year old beating off over a Soldier of Fortune magazine, crooning 'Ooh baby. I am so hard-headed and realistic. Only I understand what the sheeple don't want to know. Ooh yeah. I am hardcore'?

Wait. I guess that is why.

Ninjacrat on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ninjacrat wrote:
    I get this vision of a greasy 13 year old beating off

Um.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Dude, im not that kind of guy. sorry to dissapoint you.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Nope, you are pretty clearly an idiot. Hell, I even have proof.
    Elkamil wrote:

No, most nations do not commit torture. It is not easy to hide things like commiting torture, because people have an inherient belief that by golly gee, torture is bad, and when they see governements torturing, especialy their own, they go to the gosh darn press about it.

This aint a perfect system, but considering the nations we are talking about, it is a pretty good system.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006

Naw, you and that LondonBridge guy seem to make the highest number of embarassing posts on this forum currently. Take it from a lurker.

Opinion offered, JOSIAH VANISH!

Rust on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Goumindong wrote:

Nope, you are pretty clearly an idiot. Hell, I even have proof.
    Elkamil wrote:

No, most nations do not commit torture. It is not easy to hide things like commiting torture, because people have an inherient belief that by golly gee, torture is bad, and when they see governements torturing, especialy their own, they go to the gosh darn press about it.

This aint a perfect system, but considering the nations we are talking about, it is a pretty good system.
    There is already a hole in your argument. Look at how long it took for someone to find out about america's torture facilities where basically every reporter is searching for dirt about america.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    There is already a hole in your argument. Look at how long it took for someone to find out about america's torture facilities where basically every reporter is searching for dirt about america.
    Took a couple of months.

Didnt tank long on extraordinary rendition either [bout a year for that]

NSA scandal 3.5 years.

I am skeptical that any government could keep such programs under wraps for so long.

edit: not to mention that our press is shitty in the U.S. compared to Europe

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elkamil wrote:

Do you have any evidence that torture is taking place in Western Europe?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Goumindong wrote:
    Took a couple of months.

Didnt tank long on extraordinary rendition either [bout a year for that]

NSA scandal 3.5 years.

I am skeptical that any government could keep such programs under wraps for so long.

edit: not to mention that our press is shitty in the U.S. compared to Europe
    Al Jazeera was reporting on torture allegations long before any of the pictures came out. It wasn't as hidden as many, who blamed the media for the "Arabs finding out", would like to believe.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    Gorak wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    No.

So stupid.
    What's stupid?
    Bush can define torture and he would not define anything Rumsfeld allowed as torture. It will never get anywhere without the US handing Rumsfeld to a German court.

It's symbolic, but I like the symbology.

Yeah, I like it when unnecessary tension is added to U.S./Europe relations also. It's a good thing nothing important that might require unity or good will between the two parties is going on in the world.

And who gets to arbitrarily decide that this whole thing is "unnecessary" or not? You?

The allegation that the Defense Secretary of the United States carried out war crimes is a very serious one and needs to be investigated. Rumsfeld needs to be tried, and if he indeed has committed the crimes, or allowed them to be carried and looked the other way, he should be punished for it.

This whole thing hurts US/Europe relations... so what? It will not have any permanent effect. Any short-term damages caused by this ordeal can be rectified in the long term. However, if Rumsfeld gets away with this shit (given that it's proven first), that's going to stay with us for as long as history can remember it.[/b]

ege02 on