As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Screen wider then my monitor

SiskaSiska ShortyRegistered User regular
I got a new monitor this one ---> http://us.aoc.com/product_feature.php?id=49
My operative system is windows 10
Video card is a GTX960 ----> https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bhqbt6/gigabyte-video-card-gvn960g1gaming4gd

Problem, my desktop is wider then the monitor. Not by a lot but enough that could not see the shortcuts to the left side of my screen. I was able to fix that by shuffling the entire a centimeter to the right, using the button on the monitor, but that just means the screen is now cut off on the right (like I can't see the notification pop up on the tool bar). How to I shrink the screen to fit the monitor? I checked the resolution and it's correct, 1920x1080.

The monitor came with a CD with drivers but I don't have a cd/dvd-player so I didn't install them. Windows 10 should do that for me automatically anyway, right? If not where can I get drivers? I downloaded the one linked on the AOC website. It was a zip file but after unzipping it did not have any executable file so not sure what I am suppose to do with it or even if drivers have anything to do with this problem.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The resolution may be set right, but check the refresh rate. It's possible that Windows is setting it to 59Hz when the monitor wants 60, or that the monitor can only sort 59Hz. Either way, play with that setting a bit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    r.click on desktop -> nvidia control panel -> + display -> adjust desktop size and resolution

scaling (aspect ratio)
    perform scaling on (display)
    resolution (1920x1080) (current)

verify that the native resolution listed at the bottom of that page is correct, apply, restart.

If that doesn't do it, you can use the same "adjust desktop size and resolution" setting, but instead of scaling select the size tab. It will let you correct for overscan.

Edit: You shouldn't need drivers for your monitor. They basically never do anything useful. You will need the latest Nvidia Geforce drivers.

Edit2: another solution may be available using your monitors menu, adjusting the overscan setting if there is one, or check to make sure it doesn't have some funky scaling enabled.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    an image would be super helpful here in understanding what the issue is...

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's weird; a computer monitor if it's getting a signal in its native resolution should display with no fuss.

What video cables/adapters are you using? Perhaps something has gone wonky in a format conversion?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Does it have an auto adjust button or buttons you can use to bring up the onscreen menu? Its possible it got miscalibrated at the factory or something and just needs the image position adjusted.
    Edit: wait, you just said you did that. Hmmm yeah, i would look for a scaling option.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Does it have an auto adjust button or buttons you can use to bring up the onscreen menu? Its possible it got miscalibrated at the factory or something and just needs the image position adjusted.
    Edit: wait, you just said you did that. Hmmm yeah, i would look for a scaling option.

He said he adjusted the position, but if it's too wide he's just shifting the cut off area from one side to the other.

There should be an option to auto adjust/calibrate the monitor settings (height, width, skew, etc), and if not, then there should be a way to manually adjust the width (not just position) so that things are no longer cut off.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Using the OSD (On Screen Display) menu on your monitor (usually accessed by physical buttons on the monitor bezel), open the Picture Boost menu and adjust the Frame Size until the image fits properly on the screen.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I had a similar problem, fixed by adjusting the picture mode for the monitor (TV in my case) from zoom to normal, or something like that.

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Thanks guys! Following your advice I played around around with the monitor menus some more, rather then settings on my puter. After about 40 minutes of fiddling with annoying controls (seriously, why make these so hard to use) I finally managed to get things to fit within the confines of my screen. YAY!

Siska on