As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rimworld] 7 year olds can wield firearms. Biotech released!

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I went ahead and set my last colony aside, as it was pretty much unstoppable and I wanted to try something a bit different. Well, it's something I've tried before, but now with the ability to travel and raid, this seems the ideal time.

Psychopathic Cannibal Colony.

I initially thought it would be cool to do a native start, with the idea that they would never do research and would instead steal technology. It's possible this could have worked in the long run, but getting started with it quickly became tedious when I realized that, even with hundreds of pemmican, traveling was going to be extremely limited. Pemmican is made to not spoil, but it also takes a lot to fill up a single colonist. Plus, fighting off raiders with spears and bows results in lots of injury.

So I decided to switch back to the crash-landed start, but with 5 colonists. This is a pretty OP start, but I do want to get up and running quickly. Plus, the fact that they're not likely to attract lots of followers due to their culinary choices and utter lack of empathy means things will balance out down the road. I barely got to start things up, but I'm eager to see where this goes.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I went ahead and set my last colony aside, as it was pretty much unstoppable and I wanted to try something a bit different. Well, it's something I've tried before, but now with the ability to travel and raid, this seems the ideal time.

I initially thought it would be cool to do a native start, with the idea that they would never do research and would instead steal technology. It's possible this could have worked in the long run, but getting started with it quickly became tedious when I realized that, even with hundreds of pemmican, traveling was going to be extremely limited. Pemmican is made to not spoil, but it also takes a lot to fill up a single colonist. Plus, fighting off raiders with spears and bows results in lots of injury.

So I decided to switch back to the crash-landed start, but with 5 colonists. This is a pretty OP start, but I do want to get up and running quickly. Plus, the fact that they're not likely to attract lots of followers due to their culinary choices and utter lack of empathy means things will balance out down the road. I barely got to start things up, but I'm eager to see where this goes.

how do you steal technology?

Do you just mean stealing weapons and armor, or actual stuff like hydroponics and wind turbine knowledge?

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

I did a cannibal colony, set forced trait to cannibal.. FOR EVERYONE. :D

Many raiders were turned into meals, many human leather outfits were made.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited January 2017
    There needs to be a way to search the world for specific colonies. cause I cant find any of the settlements of any of the people around me who send me caravans or raids.

but on better news, I found this
    tumblr_odxlsoEwCv1vevfzdo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_odlok0cBcW1vevfzdo1_1280.jpg
    This one particularly makes me sad, cause my stockpile is twice the size it needs to be because stupid colonists don't consolidate. I have 100 smokeweed spread over like piles, for one prime example

edit
    holy fucknuckles those pictures were bigger than I thought, threw them in spoilers.

Buttcleft on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    There needs to be a way to search the world for specific colonies. cause I cant find any of the settlements of any of the people around me who send me caravans or raids.

This one particularly makes me sad, cause my stockpile is twice the size it needs to be because stupid colonists don't consolidate. I have 100 smokeweed spread over like piles, for one prime example

edit
    holy fucknuckles those pictures were bigger than I thought, threw them in spoilers.

actually, with things that should stack, you can use the deleting stockpiles trick

grab the delete zones tool and remove the squares where all but one of the stacks you want to consolidate are. Your colonists will restack them with the one that's still in the stockpile zone, then you can re-add the deleted squares

this doesn't work with meals (for the most part) because meals made with different ingredients (even the same ingredients in a different order) are considered completely separate items

Delmain wrote: »

edit

actually, with things that should stack, you can use the deleting stockpiles trick

grab the delete zones tool and remove the squares where all but one of the stacks you want to consolidate are. Your colonists will restack them with the one that's still in the stockpile zone, then you can re-add the deleted squares

this doesn't work with meals (for the most part) because meals made with different ingredients (even the same ingredients in a different order) are considered completely separate items

That sounds like an obscenely tedious solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

edit

That sounds like an obscenely tedious solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

hello

welcome to rimworld

Got a volcanic winter and an eclipse, and 3/4ths of my colony just came down with the plague all in the span of about 5 minutes. eclipse has made me realize my geothermals don't produce enough to power my base AND all my drills.

the storyteller needs to learn some goddamn chill.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Man I was so close

so close

Everything was going so well, my ship was coming together.

But I missed one mountain overhead tile

ONE TILE

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Man I was so close

so close

ONE TILE

I'm not ashamed to say that I've turned off infestations.

steam_sig.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    personally when i find something fuck awful to deal with, I want to figure out a way to harness its raw destructive power and use it on my enemies. In dwarf fortress this usually meant lava cannons or demon corridors. I haven't figured out how to best harness an infestation yet though.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited January 2017
    Man I was so close

so close

ONE TILE

I managed to kill all of them save one megascarab, with only my pacifist super-survivor, Nelly, left, along with Hun, who was going to bleed out in an hour.

I got the two dying colonists into the cyrptocaskets. The last one (Nelly, of course), walled them in.

Now to let the game run on max speed and see what happens.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Lulz just had the funniest situation in my game.

I had a group of pirates land and start a siege with incendiary mortars. they were being annoying but not terribly destructive. I didn't have enough firepower to charge them so I just kept back.

A massive heatwave hit combined with the fires my area got very very hot incapacitating one or two folks and making the others pretty useless. I was also starving so doom seemed inevitable.

Then my saviors came in the form of 2 tribesman with clubs who were immediately gunned down with sniper rifles by the pirates. then immediately afterwards a hordes of manhunting cobras spawned and rushed at my base. I was able to fend them off only having one guy get incapacitated. Then i get the notice the pirates are attacking but nothing happens

and I look over and they're all on the ground dead or dying from heat stroke.

In the end I had one guy die of heat stroke and another die shortly thereafter of getting the plague, going berserk and deciding to punch my pet elephant.

still 5 of 7 surviving that shit was a hell of a thing.

edited January 2017
    how do you steal technology?

Do you just mean stealing weapons and armor, or actual stuff like hydroponics and wind turbine knowledge?

I just meant that they would use the technology of their enemies: Steal the guns and clothes/armor from those killed, and use whatever technology happens to be in a base they raid. It would be cool if I could carry off things like solar generators or hydroponics though. :P
    Got a volcanic winter and an eclipse, and 3/4ths of my colony just came down with the plague all in the span of about 5 minutes. eclipse has made me realize my geothermals don't produce enough to power my base AND all my drills.

the storyteller needs to learn some goddamn chill.

Sounds like my game last night.

Playing my new psycho colony. We have a tribal raid, which is easily fended off and provides free meat! Then 3 dudes get malaria out of nowhere, including my main doctor. I get a distress message and decide to help the person, which means another raid. Several people get cut up, including a wolf I tamed, so lots of bandaging is needed. Then the flu hits, and the doctor (who already has malaria) gets it. This being a new colony, my only power was the fueled generator, so I decide to build a couple solar panels. Within 10 fucking seconds of their completion, an eclipse happens. Then later, sometime after our doc is bed-ridden from myriad diseases, another raid. At this point I'm having to manually force my back-up doctors out of bed to bandage others and prevent bleed-outs, since everyone has malaria, the flu, massive wounds, both or all three.

Sometimes I just need a minute to breathe, game.

Toxic Pickle on
    One question. How the hell can i get animals t stay outside. they don't seem to obey my allwoed areas and i have an elephant and 3 muffallo pets so animals shit in the dining room is becoming a real issue.

edited January 2017
    One question. How the hell can i get animals t stay outside. they don't seem to obey my allwoed areas and i have an elephant and 3 muffallo pets so animals shit in the dining room is becoming a real issue.

You have to create an animal area (under zones, choose the far-right option for 'set allowable area', and you should see a sub menu for 'Animal Area 1'). Then, you go into the animals tab and assign the animals to Animal Area 1.

You can also create new areas under the.... Restrict tab I think? But that's only if you are trying to separate animals from each other, which can seriously become necessary as they have a tendency to multiply.

Also remember that when animals are restricted to an area, that they do not ever leave unless they are following a colonist (like, into battle or something), which means you need to set up a storage zone within the animal area where your colonists will drop food for the animals.

Toxic Pickle on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Does anyone know why screenshots for this get incredibly splotchy if you crop them at all?

edited January 2017
    OH MY GOD

So my outbreak of plague has been resolved.

Almost every one of my goddamn colonists ticked to 100% immunity like..2 seconds before plague ticked to 100% and killed them.

I say almost because my artist with dementia had two breaks and was unable to be treated for the vast majority of the time, and ended up dying. Honestly I'm not sad, he didn't really do anything but produce crappy art, and was a constant annoyance with his breaks and dementia.

Also along the way apparently a new guy slipped into the colony without me being aware, just sitting there and all of a sudden "Colonist has no bed" thing popped up and I was like, what? I have plenty of beds..WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?!

still in volcanic winter, though. Which is making things very nipply.

Buttcleft on
    edited January 2017
    Man I was so close

so close

ONE TILE

I managed to kill all of them save one megascarab, with only my pacifist super-survivor, Nelly, left, along with Hun, who was going to bleed out in an hour.

I got the two dying colonists into the cyrptocaskets. The last one (Nelly, of course), walled them in.

Now to let the game run on max speed and see what happens.

Last one out get the lights
    VKY8kCL.jpg

RIP space cowboy colony
    bLyDr5B.jpg

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    I didn't realize colonists could put themselves in the cryosleep caskets.

Hope you get an influx of people to settle your ruins, if you still plan on running max speed until more people come, and finally continue your journey to the stars.

Hope you get an influx of people to settle your ruins, if you still plan on running max speed until more people come, and finally continue your journey to the stars.

The problem is that there are about 100 or so insectoids roaming the ruins, and my unwanted self-domesticated boomalo suicided into them, burning down most of my colony.

So yeah, I think Nelly and Hun are in for a long nap.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1

The problem is that there are about 100 or so insectoids roaming the ruins, and my unwanted self-domesticated boomalo suicided into them, burning down most of my colony.

Maybe you'll get a cold snap or a toxic fallout that'll clear them out!

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Suggestion for next time: make an animal area on the other side of the map and limit the boom(X) there. Wouldn't have helped much this time of course..

Hmm. Now I want to set up a breeding farm of boomrats. Then when a raid comes restrict them to an allowed area outside the base in the killbox.

God..now I want to do a psychopath/cannibal ice shelf colony..

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    RIP Husky. We appreciate that you jumped onto that grenade for us.

Unfortunately, we wasted your sacrifice by apparently enraging a herd of 20 ibex that then rampaged into town to murder most of us.

KMMx57w.png

Sensual, naked, burning terrorism with voyeuristic diplomats.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Why make art when you can decorate your room with a sarcophagus containing a dead pet rabbit who died in a fight with an elephant?

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited January 2017
    Just had two back to back raids of 6+ people each.

THey didn't expect to meet a wall of LMGs, Assault Rifles, Charge rifles and my MASTERWORK MINIGUN when they came out of the trap corridor.

Then they tried to escape..through the trap corridor, while all the traps are sprung..it still slows them down, enough for me to swing around to meet them both times, and to completely eradicate both raids, NO SURVIVORS.

Buttcleft on
    duoco9z1m2mz.png

HOW THE FUCK DOES IT LIGHT THE JOINTS, IT HAS NO FUCKING THUMBS.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    That cat reminds me of my aunt.

What is this I don't even.
    I assume it's just chewing on the leaves, and who could blame it? Poor kitty isn't long for this world.

...or that world. Whatever world it's on.

• tiloahtiloah OH DARN SeattleRegistered User regular
    Soliliqui showed me this and now I have purchased it 9i7knwv4xy4b.png

LoL: lesemicolon
    3DS: 1607-2293-4337 - Hadley - Welcome to St. Jude!
    Cyrus's Furniture Customization
    tiloah wrote: »
    Soliliqui showed me this and now I have purchased it 9i7knwv4xy4b.png

make sure to keep your animals out of your liquor and drug stockpiles. you would think they'd be safe with the lack of thumbs, but you'd be wrong.

edited January 2017
    Oh, that was lovely..a 30 strong horde of maneating boomalopes bumrushed my defenses. almost broke down 3 doors, before finding my trap corridor..which they blew through, and hit my killbox that has like 10 sentry guns, which they blew through, and royally fucked up my colonists.

Amazingly I didn't lose a single one, though at least half of them have significant injuries.

edit
    needs to be a mod that lets you make bulk drugs, like the mod that lets you make bulk meals

Buttcleft on
    fun thing to find out physchic ship crashes can make all your animals go crazy on your

Oh, that was lovely..a 30 strong horde of maneating boomalopes bumrushed my defenses. almost broke down 3 doors, before finding my trap corridor..which they blew through, and hit my killbox that has like 10 sentry guns, which they blew through, and royally fucked up my colonists.

Amazingly I didn't lose a single one, though at least half of them have significant injuries.

edit
    needs to be a mod that lets you make bulk drugs, like the mod that lets you make bulk meals

Boomrats and Boomalopes are just the worst. They always seem to come in such numbers that they trigger all the traps in my kill-tunnel, and though my turrets down lots of them, it's never enough before the animals get up to them... and then explode when they die, taking out my turrets. Also, though in most cases a Manhunter Pack event can be a good thing because free meat, I've had two separate colonies get overrun with plague after cooking and eating boomrats. I've made it a point in future colonies to always exclude their meat from my cooking recipes.

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    the worst manhunter pack i had involved around 30 wargs when i only had 5 colonists and like, 5 turrets. it did not end well.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    I successfully fought off a pack of foxes with no turrets

it wasn't pretty but LMGS and miniguns help

edit

Boomrats and Boomalopes are just the worst. They always seem to come in such numbers that they trigger all the traps in my kill-tunnel, and though my turrets down lots of them, it's never enough before the animals get up to them... and then explode when they die, taking out my turrets. Also, though in most cases a Manhunter Pack event can be a good thing because free meat, I've had two separate colonies get overrun with plague after cooking and eating boomrats. I've made it a point in future colonies to always exclude their meat from my cooking recipes.

I have like 2500 elephant and rhino meat, plus several thousand of other meat. Sad thing is I barely hunt, its all meat from manhunting heards and droppods.

I get to many droppods full of meat, pretty much my anus clenches when I get more than two in a row because it means bad things are coming.

edit

I have like 2500 elephant and rhino meat, plus several thousand of other meat. Sad thing is I barely hunt, its all meat from manhunting heards and droppods.

I get to many droppods full of meat, pretty much my anus clenches when I get more than two in a row because it means bad things are coming.

I've been in this situation as well, with so much meat I figure I'm set for... ever, really.

Then the game threw an eclipse, solar flare, and heat wave at me. Meat became a thing I needed all of a sudden.

edit

I've been in this situation as well, with so much meat I figure I'm set for... ever, really.

Then the game threw an eclipse, solar flare, and heat wave at me. Meat became a thing I needed all of a sudden.

Oh my fucking god, heatwaves.

My Volcanic Winter finally ended, and went right into a heatwave. My rooms that I were struggling to heat were now almost immediately cooking everyone. Had to kick everyone out of bed and force decon all my heaters and campfires and force build shittons of passive coolers to keep everyone from roasting their brains to jelly.