As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia...Also AP Bio, The Mick, and Mythic Quest

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Thought 12x01 was genius.
    So I thought this ep of sunny was lacking some bite, some of their typical racism or dark humor.
    Then the cops shot Charlie
    Fucking genius
    Lull you into a false sense of security with some weak kumbaya discrimination is hard to ferret out faux moral and then hit you with the whammy: oh yeah cops shoot innocent black kids to death on a far too regular basis

@Variable
    Good on you for calling the ending. I called most of the jokes but I didnt see the ending coming. In retrospect the toy train makes it obvious. Damn this show is smart.

valiance on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I don't know how to feel about that ending. I understand why they did it, but that seems like the kind of thing that needs a trigger warning (and I usually never worry about things like that).

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    it's always sunny

trigger warnings

what

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm not in any way an anti-warning person.

But that opening title music should have roughly the same effect. They've been making this thing for over a decade now, you know what you're getting.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hmm, this episode had a few laughs but wasn't generally very funny (or shocking, or insightful)

I often feel this way about an Always Sunny season opener lately, though. The show's getting long in the tooth and they may need fresh projects to spark some different writing

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I don't feel like they pulled off the singing stuff as well as they wanted. Especially as well as they have individually in the past. Really felt like they didnt have the time to do what they wanted either? It seems to all have worked out by the end of the episode to be pretty good though.

ending gag spoiler:
    It being a stealth quantum leap episode was really funny. If you follow the shows super dark ending(He never stops leaping, maybe for eternity since he has no body to age, he might just be stuck, going crazy in someones body who he failed to help)

Edit: I'm not sure what trigger warning you want in a show that every main character(and most side ones) has been raped or has raped someone and its treated like a joke. Entire episodes get dedicated to it on different occasions. I'd be interested in commentary on the episode to know if frank not saying the N word was S&P, devito or just internal decision. Because this episode wasn't, pardon the pun, shooting for "class".

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I was mainly talking about them showing
    the little black boy getting shot up.
    That was a bit much, I thought.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    This is the first time I've seen the term "trigger warning" used non-ironically, and it happened in an Always Sunny thread. That's kinda amazing.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    watched season 11 on netflix. It was underwhelming honestly. the show is kinda running on fumes

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Wtf is going on here, were there new episodes or did I not finish the last season?

E:
    Holy shit! It's back?? I thought that was the final season.

:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    watched season 11 on netflix. It was underwhelming honestly. the show is kinda running on fumes

That's how I've felt about the last two or three seasons. Definitely some great episodes and moments in there but it's not anywhere near as consistent

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    what would you say were the best seasons? or your favorite I should say.

I don't really concern myself with comparing, it still makes me laugh every single episode and at leats a handful of things per season are brilliant to me and that's really all I need to know.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I think last season had less laughs than usual, but it was still enjoyable.

The premiere was amazing and the "trigger moment" worked for a very specific reason
    It cut between Charlie and the black kid being shot. That was a huge, brief moment of unexpected reality.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Wtf is going on here, were there new episodes or did I not finish the last season?

E:
    Holy shit! It's back?? I thought that was the final season.

:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

They were renewed last year through season 14.

I think the show is running dry too, but I think its causing them to get more creative and willing to stretch the premise. I'd rather them try something and misfire like (how I felt) this episode than just stick to a formula. I thought the singing was iffy, but the payoff at the end made me go tell other people to watch it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Wasn't Dennis and Mack buying a house last season? Because that one was great.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Have they done a Mummers episode in one of the seasons I haven't seen yet?

Because if not, they should.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    It's our favorite show and we turned off lasts night's episode about 5 minutes in. That's how much my wife and I disliked the season opener. It felt like a major shark jump.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Wasn't Dennis and Mack buying a house last season? Because that one was great.

that one was good.

I think the show started declining around season 9 or so

• Options
    Yall wrote: »
    It's our favorite show and we turned off lasts night's episode about 5 minutes in. That's how much my wife and I disliked the season opener. It felt like a major shark jump.

This is just putting them in a box. This was absolutely an ep that felt like sunny.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The show is at its best when it's going meta or gimmicky these days. You can tell when the cast is excited, and they were definitely excited about last night.

I absolutely loved it. There are plenty of arguments against that late-game gut punch. As a white guy I'm really not the one to call whether it was appropriate or not, but it hit really fucking hard and I think it earned it. The whole premise was figuring out 'the rules' of their situation and the rules of being black in Philly, and ending with "It's really fucking complicated and occasionally horrifying," felt right.

If it was being played for laughs I'd be upset, but the way they did it was clearly supposed to slam the theme home. The aftermath is your palate cleanser and reminder that the gang is the worst.

I love Always Sunny as a sitcom about a bunch of strange horrible people wreaking havoc, but when they aim for something grander they almost always nail it, and I think they did it with the premiere.

Last season had The Gang Hits the Slopes, Being Frank, and the Goes to Hell two-parter that I liked a lot. The quality of the episodes can swing pretty wildly, but they're reliable for a few gems every year.

Edit: And of course The Suburbs, which is one of the best episodes of the entire series.

Edit 2: Also massive props for sending them down a cobblestone brick street during their biggest riff on The Wiz. The show can be sloppy sometimes but there's a lot of wonderful little details too.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »

This is just putting them in a box. This was absolutely an ep that felt like sunny.

I hate musicals so that didn't help at all (which people find bizzare since I'm a musician). That and it being sci-fi/fantasy-ish made it wholly unappealing to me.

• Options
    it's not gonna be for everyone, sorry for answering as though you owe the show anything, I am weirdly defensive of things I like I guess :P

• Options
    it's not gonna be for everyone, sorry for answering as though you owe the show anything, I am weirdly defensive of things I like I guess :P

No worries I'm the same way, which is why I was probably even more off-put about this episode.

Fun fact: the only other person at work this morning who didn't like it was also a musician who hates musicals.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I strongly dislike musicals, but I did like this first episode. Strong start I think.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    That was a really strong opener imo.

I am ready for this season.

I was worried at first but am no longer worried after actually watching it.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    what a great episode. So glad this show's back, I hope they never stop.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

I hate musicals so that didn't help at all (which people find bizzare since I'm a musician). That and it being sci-fi/fantasy-ish made it wholly unappealing to me.

I hate musical but thought this episode was hilarious. They were clearly just making fun of all that stuff

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »

I hate musical but thought this episode was hilarious. They were clearly just making fun of all that stuff

Also, lots of musically-trained people hate musicals. I'd be one of them.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    At least 3 of the main members are/were theater people so thus the musical stuff they do (like nightman) should make more sense.

They like that kinda stuff so they put it in their show.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Not the strongest episode but I laughed a lot and appreciated the risks they took and the continued use of more cinematic film techniques.

Also I loved seeing Zee and under the bridge and cracked up when Zee said " you talkin about old black man"

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    The ziggy song was the funniest part to me.

Solid episode but not a top one. I am torn about whether or not the seasons have some decline. They are almost falling into the fan service trap that Community did. However it semi works, so I dunno how to feel about it. Stuff like Dennis dark side and Mac being gay getting brought from the subtle hints to the surface in the last few years is fun. But the call back jokes are a bit too on the nose of folks favorite sunny moments.

We'll see where this season goes. But last season felt like it was a clip show for the entire series. Just remaking classic jokes in new settings.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    What episode would you guys use to introduce this show to someone?

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I'd probably go for Dennis and Dee Go On Welfare

one of the strongest episodes of the series and early enough in the show that you can pick up each character's personalities without being bogged down by a load of in-jokes

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I like The Gang Solves The Gas Crisis

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    This is a show where in-jokes don't bother me so much. The Nightman Cometh was one of the best episodes in the series IMO and it was built entirely around a one-off gag from an earlier episode.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    This is a show where in-jokes don't bother me so much. The Nightman Cometh was one of the best episodes in the series IMO and it was built entirely around a one-off gag from an earlier episode.

oh yeah, me too

but in-joke heavy eps make for a bad jumping off point for a new viewer

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Right on

In the age of Netflix there's no reason not to start at the beginning though

I would agree about the welfare episode if you just want to find a prime standalone episode to show how good the show can be though

• Options
    Charlie Work is another one that doesn't rely on any prior knowledge of the show

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Gas crisis is pretty fantastic jump in point. It has everything the show is great for and is one of the best episodes on general. I cried so hard at the ghostbusters theme.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Okay just got around to watching this one.

Yes it was strange, but man did I laugh a few times pretty hard.
    I loved Quantum Leap growing up, so this was more or less made for me.

And the ending? Yeah, they kind of had to do that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...