As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Trump Administration

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I wonder what the best way to message "low taxes aren't why you're poor, low wages are" would be?

If you're taxing low wages, even absurdly low taxes will feel like you're taking a hit. So what is it that keeps people from making the determination that low wages are the cement shoes in this situation?

• DunderDunder Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I wonder what the best way to message "low taxes aren't why you're poor, low wages are" would be?

If you're taxing low wages, even absurdly low taxes will feel like you're taking a hit. So what is it that keeps people from making the determination that low wages are the cement shoes in this situation?

Wages are good, taxes are bad.

Attack what's bad.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Almost everyone, even smart successful people, don't understand the basics of how tax brackets work. The bar for economic policy in how it effects the individual is incredibly low and yet...

Also that would involve admitting you're poor.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

Actually, low taxes and low wages are both why they are poor.
    Turn out you need taxes to pay for welfare programs and schooling, and those are really good at getting people out of poverty.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    It was always all dog whistles. They just wanted the right to be oppressive locally but don't want people to have the right to not be oppressed elsewhere.

Same with "personal responsibility", et c.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    The GOP plans to do a bunch of confirmation hearings all on the same day to overwhelm any potential media focus.
    http://mediamatters.org/blog/2017/01/05/how-overwhelm-media/214932
    Trump previously promised to hold a December 15 press conference to address the conflicts of interest his business empire creates for his presidency, but he canceled it. Those conflicts -- including the possibility that Trump will be in violation of both the Constitution and a contract with the federal government immediately upon taking office -- should be a top priority for journalists on January 11. But by refusing to give a press conference for so long, while simultaneously scaling back on media appearances, Trump has created such a backlog of potential issues that it will be impossible for reporters to give all of them the time and coverage they deserve.

Meanwhile, McConnell has done his best to fracture journalist attention by ensuring that six different confirmation hearings are scheduled for the same day. Wednesday will see hearings for Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), the nominee for attorney general; ExxonMobil chairman Rex Tillerson, the nominee for secretary of state; billionaire conservative activist Betsy DeVos, for secretary of education; Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-KS), for CIA director; Gen. John Kelly, for secretary of homeland security; and Elaine Chao, for secretary of transportation.
    This feels too clever by half because Trump is guaranteed to say something that will distract news outlets anyway without the need for such tricks.

I don't know how journalism can mea culpa for the profession's generally disastrous error in judgement of where to apply the not-inconsiderable power of press attention. They have been played so thoroughly that, of course, media outlets are being PR'd to death with tactics like these.

McConnell is Littlefinger. Burn it all down, if he could be king of the ashes.

I think at this point you have to sit back and stop viewing journalism and/or the media as an institution. It no longer is. That was one of the old conventions. When an unspoken rule was broken, it was a THING. That hasn't been a thing for awhile.

With the rise of Fox News and then the rise of internet news and blogging, the whole concept of "journalism" as an institution ceases to hold any meaning. You now have entertainment companies which broadcast information, and then people who communicate information. "Blaming the media" is as meaningless a term as "blame the American voter." You can't go out and find the guy in charge and beat him up. There is no one in charge. It's all just part of the zeitgeist.

What is this I don't even.
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    If I were a GOP strategist, I'd be calling every House member whose number I had and reminding them that if they're able to establish a precedent for this, once the Democrats gain control of the government again they can ensure access to abortions, they can prevent governments from establishing "bathroom" laws and they'll enforce non-discrimination laws on everyone, and they'll mandate that everyone has to say "Happy holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas!"
    Edited to show the real problem for Republicans!
    Dem voters don't really show up for senate elections so I don't think 2018 will be a problem for the GOP.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    The GOP plans to do a bunch of confirmation hearings all on the same day to overwhelm any potential media focus.
    http://mediamatters.org/blog/2017/01/05/how-overwhelm-media/214932
    Trump previously promised to hold a December 15 press conference to address the conflicts of interest his business empire creates for his presidency, but he canceled it. Those conflicts -- including the possibility that Trump will be in violation of both the Constitution and a contract with the federal government immediately upon taking office -- should be a top priority for journalists on January 11. But by refusing to give a press conference for so long, while simultaneously scaling back on media appearances, Trump has created such a backlog of potential issues that it will be impossible for reporters to give all of them the time and coverage they deserve.

Meanwhile, McConnell has done his best to fracture journalist attention by ensuring that six different confirmation hearings are scheduled for the same day. Wednesday will see hearings for Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), the nominee for attorney general; ExxonMobil chairman Rex Tillerson, the nominee for secretary of state; billionaire conservative activist Betsy DeVos, for secretary of education; Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-KS), for CIA director; Gen. John Kelly, for secretary of homeland security; and Elaine Chao, for secretary of transportation.
    This feels too clever by half because Trump is guaranteed to say something that will distract news outlets anyway without the need for such tricks.

I don't know how journalism can mea culpa for the profession's generally disastrous error in judgement of where to apply the not-inconsiderable power of press attention. They have been played so thoroughly that, of course, media outlets are being PR'd to death with tactics like these.

McConnell is Littlefinger. Burn it all down, if he could be king of the ashes.

I think at this point you have to sit back and stop viewing journalism and/or the media as an institution. It no longer is. That was one of the old conventions. When an unspoken rule was broken, it was a THING. That hasn't been a thing for awhile.

With the rise of Fox News and then the rise of internet news and blogging, the whole concept of "journalism" as an institution ceases to hold any meaning. You now have entertainment companies which broadcast information, and then people who communicate information. "Blaming the media" is as meaningless a term as "blame the American voter." You can't go out and find the guy in charge and beat him up. There is no one in charge. It's all just part of the zeitgeist.

Which is a huge problem because society is still dependent on the concept of the Fourth Estate. There's no one to hold accountable so why should our media produce anything other than what sells to the most viewers?

But we need these people to investigate and report facts. Especially now that we have a government that will not only hide facts but looks ready to distort the truth however they see fit because so far there have been no consequences.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/house-republicans-revive-obscure-rule-that-could-allow-them-to-slash-the-pay-of-individual-federal-workers-to-1/2017/01/04/4e80c990-d2b2-11e6-945a-76f69a399dd5_story.html
    House Republicans this week reinstated an arcane procedural rule that enables lawmakers to reach deep into the budget and slash the pay of an individual federal worker — down to a $1 — a move that threatens to upend the 130-year-old civil service.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with compiling those lists of unwanted individual federal workers.

Doodmann wrote: »

Almost everyone, even smart successful people, don't understand the basics of how tax brackets work. The bar for economic policy in how it effects the individual is incredibly low and yet...

Also that would involve admitting you're poor.

I don't usually like talking politics at family gatherings, but I've definitely made it my personal mission to correct anyone who tries to make the 'I got a raise but then actually made less money due to taxes' claim.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    PROX wrote: »
    GOP to limit local government's ability to pass legislation including ability to raise minimum wage.
    http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/312766-gop-aims-to-rein-in-liberal-cities

BALLS.
    Freakin increase the minimum wage. The lower class is dying and being squeezed dry. If the majority of people earned a living wage, they'd spend more on goods and services. Companies don't hire unless they need to provide more goods or services. This is just a race to the bottom.

It's possible his plan for dealing with china is to try and limbo under their labor standards.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/house-republicans-revive-obscure-rule-that-could-allow-them-to-slash-the-pay-of-individual-federal-workers-to-1/2017/01/04/4e80c990-d2b2-11e6-945a-76f69a399dd5_story.html
    House Republicans this week reinstated an arcane procedural rule that enables lawmakers to reach deep into the budget and slash the pay of an individual federal worker — down to a $1 — a move that threatens to upend the 130-year-old civil service.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with compiling those lists of unwanted individual federal workers.

Yup. Good old failed state stuff.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    hah! I was just about to post this very same thing

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2017
    An hour ago.
    Toyota President Strikes Friendly Tone on Trump

http://www.wsj.com/articles/toyota-president-strikes-friendly-tone-on-trump-1483637844

20 minutes ago, Trump on twitter.
    Toyota Motor said will build a new plant in Baja, Mexico, to build Corolla cars for U.S. NO WAY! Build plant in U.S. or pay big border tax.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    An hour ago.
    Toyota President Strikes Friendly Tone on Trump

http://www.wsj.com/articles/toyota-president-strikes-friendly-tone-on-trump-1483637844

20 minutes ago, Trump on twitter.
    Toyota Motor said will build a new plant in Baja, Mexico, to build Corolla cars for U.S. NO WAY! Build plant in U.S. or pay big border tax.

:lol: And here I thought we'd have to wait for him to be in charge of foreign policy for big players to start having problems with his instability.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Invest in Toyota. They are about to get a bribe to stay in the USA.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Don't we have a positive balance of trade with Mexico?

Honestly there is so much going wrong, so fast, it's hard to keep up. That individual federal worker targeting bill is an atrocity. Every member of the workforce which supports the US Senate, Presidency, and House should just walk out. No cleaners, no chefs, no security. They should all just quit today.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    American companies are one thing, but is he really trying to coerce non-US based corporations to build in US "or else"? Like, literally "If you manufacture anywhere but the US, face massive tariffs?

Invest in Toyota. They are about to get a bribe to stay in the USA.

This isn't even 'we're shuttering doors in the US to build cheaper in Mexico' and Trump saying no. This is Toyota saying 'we're building a new factory!' and Trump saying 'if that factory isn't in the US, you're going to face consequences.'

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Don't we have a positive balance of trade with Mexico?

Honestly there is so much going wrong, so fast, it's hard to keep up. That individual federal worker targeting bill is an atrocity. Every member of the workforce which supports the US Senate, Presidency, and House should just walk out. No cleaners, no chefs, no security. They should all just quit today.

Man, I'm almost glad I've avoided federal employment.

Though really any employment will do at the moment.

American companies are one thing, but is he really trying to coerce non-US based corporations to build in US "or else"? Like, literally "If you manufacture anywhere but the US, face massive tariffs?

Yes

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Can we stop and appreciate the sheer ridiculousness of an almost sitting President using Twitter as their fucking decree mechanism?

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Last time federal workers went on strike, it didn't end well for them.

But maybe it's time for them to get their dignity back after 30 years.

So, how long until this sort of strongman tactic blows up in his face?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

I don't know if you would call it "blowing up" but I am sure that companies are making calculated decisions in order to manipulate Trump into saying things so they can get better incentives for things they had already planned on doing but hadn't made public yet.

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Using massive tariffs as a bludgeon was literally his central campaign promise.

Like, you know that wall Mexico is going to pay for? Tariffs are how he plans to get them to pay for it. You know all those jobs in China? Tariffs are how he plans on making them so expensive they have to come here.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Regarding Federal Workers? When the federal workforce has been depleted because all the competent workers left or were fired and the system collapses? I have worked for the government before, when morale gets low you don't get strikes, you get people walking in randomly one day saying they are going to work for the private sector and oh, I guess you will need to get someone quick because I start next Monday.

Jealous Deva on
    edited January 2017

Sadly I don't think it is going to.

Edit: That's not to say things aren't going to blow up

I just mean they aren't going to hurt him.

It's going to start blowing up in our faces near immediately.

Sleep on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Companies have an incentive to play along by offering tiny concessions or stuff they already planned to do so Trump can brag about it.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Regarding Federal Workers? When the federal workforce has been depleted because all the competent workers left or were fired and the system collapses? I have worked for the government before, when morale gets low you don't get strikes, you get people walking in randomly one day saying they are going to work for the private sector and oh, I guess you will need to get someone quick because I start next Monday.

That's already happened. Almost all of the competent workers are contractors. (No offense to anyone who might be one of the rare competent govies).

What is this I don't even.

Never. When Trump fucks up, it blows up in someone else's face. He's really good at leaving other people holding the bag.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

From that article:
    “Now any backbencher can make an amendment to hear his voice heard on a particular program or group of employees,” said Max Stier, president and chief executive of the nonprofit Partnership for Public Service. “We’ll see how it’s used, if it’s used.”

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I'd put money on him not even knowing that his MAGA hats are made in China at this rate.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Sadly I don't think it is going to.

Edit: That's not to say things aren't going to blow up

I just mean they aren't going to hurt him.

It's going to start blowing up in our faces near immediately.

Well, if he does start eliminating all federal workers it will, but he won't actually do that. The Republicans will just do some microtargetted destructions of peoples lives to make the rest afraid.

Yes, "Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battlestation..."

It won't actually work, because (and I like to remind people of this as much as possible) they don't actually have the support of the people, financial institutions or anything else. They are in power ONLY because currently people value stability and safety. If they remove stability, and safety, and try to govern through fear the facade of power they have built will collapse. They physically do not have enough resources to suppress the majority of the US population.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Destroy the ethics committee.

Prevent the congressional budget office from reporting on the financial fallout of ACA repeal legislation.

Make it difficult for states to raise their own minimum wage.

Hold mass confirmation hearings so the public is less informed about them.

And now, enable the cutting of pay for specific people.

All while the incoming President continues to make threats against private businesses for perfectly legal decisions.

Maybe someone should email Hillary about all this so it's actually perceived as corruption.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I don't know if you would call it "blowing up" but I am sure that companies are making calculated decisions in order to manipulate Trump into saying things so they can get better incentives for things they had already planned on doing but hadn't made public yet.

I have to wonder how long it is until companies start trying to bait or maneuver him into twitter-trashing their competitors to damage them. He's not hard to lead around by the nose.

Regarding Federal Workers? When the federal workforce has been depleted because all the competent workers left or were fired and the system collapses?

I'm talking about his constant threatening of other buisnesses; Toyota isn't an american company and isn't obligated to open factories within it's borders if it isn't in their interests to do so.

And frankly, I can't imagine that the various corporations are going to want to deal with this for 8 years.

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    People should probably stop investing in manufacturing since you never know when Trump is going to air his opinion on some company's factory move being a disaster (just a disaster) and crashing the stock

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    Can we stop and appreciate the sheer ridiculousness of an almost sitting President using Twitter as their fucking decree mechanism?

And then complaining that "the media" misinterprets him, when he is talking directly to the people via Twitter, with no media middlemen at all.

This discussion has been closed.