As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Suggestions for a new laptop?

Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to youby the letter A.Registered User regular
I'm looking to buy a cheap laptop for school use (writing papers, taking notes/goofing off during class, etc.), and I think I've got a good deal, but I'd like to know what some of the more laptop-savvy folks here have to say. I'm thinking of getting the PC here:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&series_name=C700T_series

I've upgraded the base config with 1GB of RAM, the 120GB hdd, and of course the free dvd upgrade. Final price is $510, not counting the $50 cashback I get if I use paypal.

Is this a good deal?

Fartacus_the_Mighty on

• ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've been interested in the Asus Eee.
    Maybe check that out?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've been interested in the Asus Eee.
    Maybe check that out?

The Eees are decent, but they're really too small to get good results with video and such (plus there's the whole lack of optical drives, etc.). It's cheaper, but the extra monetary savings doesn't make up for the lack of features for me.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That Compaq has a very, very slow cpu in it...But then again thats a pretty cheap price..just be aware going in, bad bad cpu

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    www.apple.com/macbook

Don't forget your educational discount.

Lewisham on
    edited November 2007
    Lewis..did you miss where he said cheap? which macbooks certainly aren't. and the student discounts are ass..

look at this one, i suggest the middle model, you can get it with an a64 x2 proc for 499 http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/vostronb_1000?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~tab=bundlestab
    edit:comparing it to the compaw you linked it has everything it has, only a much better processor, for 10$ cheaper

taliosfalcon on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    $999 is cheap if he wants "features". It's the best thing you can get for school use. Unless all he wants is a toy, in which case the Asus Eee was a fair suggestion.

Lewisham on
    edited November 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    $999 is cheap if he wants "features". It's the best thing you can get for school use. Unless all he wants is a toy.

Features? like what? A macbook has a faster processor, which you won't notice in most applications, unless he plans on encoding video all day at school, and a built in webcam. For 400$ more, your right its obvious that those two things are worth the extra money :|

taliosfalcon on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lewis..did you miss where he said cheap? which macbooks certainly aren't. and the student discounts are ass..

look at this one, i suggest the middle model, you can get it with an a64 x2 proc for 499 http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/vostronb_1000?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~tab=bundlestab
    edit:comparing it to the compaw you linked it has everything it has, only a much better processor, for 10$ cheaper

I actually looked all over for benchmarks on the proc, and couldn't find any, but then again I was searching for a comparison between the 530 and 440 (some acer I was considering had the 440). I can even get XP instead of Vista on the Dell. Delicious.

This is exactly why I came here, thanks talios :)

Regarding the Mac, that's a fair suggestion, but the price is a bit high for what I need. I should've been more specific about what I'm looking for. I've already got a reasonably beastly desktop, I just need something for word processing, web surfing, in-class note-taking, and possibly movie watching when I'm away from home. I do see a lot of macbooks being used at my university, though, so it definitely looks like it fits for a lot of people.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    edited November 2007

I actually looked all over for benchmarks on the proc, and couldn't find any, but then again I was searching for a comparison between the 530 and 440 (some acer I was considering had the 440). I can even get XP instead of Vista on the Dell. Delicious.

This is exactly why I came here, thanks talios :)

Regarding the Mac, that's a fair suggestion, but the price is a bit high for what I need. I should've been more specific about what I'm looking for. I've already got a reasonably beastly desktop, I just need something for word processing, web surfing, in-class note-taking, and possibly movie watching when I'm away from home. I do see a lot of macbooks being used at my university, though, so it definitely looks like it fits for a lot of people.

if you do decide on the dell i very much suggest you shell out the xtra 50$ for the sempron to X2 upgrade, which is what brings it up to 499. And yeah, I didn't mean to imply macbooks were horrible in my earlier posts, hell I have a Pro, they just aren't budget laptops

taliosfalcon on
    edited November 2007

if you do decide on the dell i very much suggest you shell out the xtra 50$ for the sempron to X2 upgrade, which is what brings it up to 499. And yeah, I didn't mean to imply macbooks were horrible in my earlier posts, hell I have a Pro, they just aren't budget laptops

Yeah, definitely getting that upgrade. Haha, Dell's even going "green" by letting you donate to "Plant-a-Tree" reforestation, I think I'll do that too.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a Dell laptop and not only enjoy the product very much, but their customer service is pretty great.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I would rather suck off sweaty truckers than ever go back to using a Windows PC. The Mac, if you can afford the extra, will always be worth it.

Sorry, Mac smugness requires me to chip in on the Apple side. Go about your business.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think i'm going to go back to PC for my next laptop. I want something that can be all things to all men, so it has to be a good gaming machine (since I don't want to cart a desktop about for a year or two). While I don't deny the macs can be powerful I don't really think their graphics cards are up to much, at least not at the 1000 pound or less price range.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    $999 is cheap if he wants "features". It's the best thing you can get for school use. Unless all he wants is a toy.

Features? like what? A macbook has a faster processor, which you won't notice in most applications, unless he plans on encoding video all day at school, and a built in webcam. For 400$ more, your right its obvious that those two things are worth the extra money :|

Pretense is a feature.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    I'm looking to buy a cheap laptop for school use (writing papers, taking notes/goofing off during class, etc.), and I think I've got a good deal, but I'd like to know what some of the more laptop-savvy folks here have to say. I'm thinking of getting the PC here:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&series_name=C700T_series

I've upgraded the base config with 1GB of RAM, the 120GB hdd, and of course the free dvd upgrade. Final price is $510, not counting the $50 cashback I get if I use paypal.

Is this a good deal?

If you don't mind going down to 14.1" (and a size decrease on a school laptop is, IMO, an upgrade) check out the Acer laptop currently offered by BB. It's on sale (until tomorrow night, I think) for $549. 2 GB RAM, 3100 GFX accelerator, double layer DVD burner, built-in webcam. The downside is the processor (T2310 with 533MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 1.46GHz processor speed). However, I still think it's a damned good deal.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8534035&type=product&id=1186008220061

It's sold out online but apparently many box stores still have them.

Organichu on
  • RawkasaurusRawkasaurus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    At Best Buy they generally have decent deals on $399 laptops with dual-core processors and a gig of ram at times. They only pop up every few weeks but I'd imagine there's going to be another in the next month.

Rawkasaurus on