As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Indie Games] Stardew Valley hits PS4/One on 12/14

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    ph blake wrote: »
    FreeSpace was an awesome game.

Wait, no, I just looked it up and I'm thinking of Freelancer.

Freelancer was an awesome game.

freelancer was dope

I was hoping that...whatsitcalled...that game from like, last year, that's basically a space western, but with broadsides?

yeah I was hoping that would be like freelancer and it kind of was but just not as fun?

Shorty
    Rebel Galaxy

yeah that's the one

I played it for awhile, I felt like the combat lacked depth

which sounds like a joke given that it was literally two-dimensional but whatever

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Which is the one that takes place in space and there's a big war going on?

Star... Star Battles?

Battletech

No wait, Battlezone

Did anyone but me play that game

Hello, Comrade

I must have been like 10 when I played that game

I vaguely remember it being an rts that let you control all your units in first person

And I thought it was the coolest thing in the world that you could snipe enemy pilots out of their vehicles and steal them

I distinctly remember filling my offensive roster with rocket tanks and annihilating an enemy base

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    hey, has anyone opened up the levels of INSIDE in a model viewer or anything?

I feel like that game actually has no hard cuts where you jump from one area to another

so I feel like it should be possible to make one long, continuous map of the actual area you traverse

haven't been able to find anyone who's done that, though

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I don't know because I haven't played it, but it's possible that the game doubles back on itself in ways that wouldn't actually make sense if you were to pull the camera back

Like random example, iirc super metroid has some areas where rooms overlap if you try to connect all the background images together, even though when you're playing it it all feels connected logically

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I don't know because I haven't played it, but it's possible that the game doubles back on itself in ways that wouldn't actually make sense if you were to pull the camera back

Like random example, iirc super metroid has some areas where rooms overlap if you try to connect all the background images together, even though when you're playing it it all feels connected logically

I dunno about Super Metroid but the original Metroid is a mess like that because the only way they could even FIT a game that big onto a NES cartridge is by reusing rooms. That's why you can sequence break the shit out of it by glitching through the doors--because the warp points for each room make no visual sense.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

I dunno about Super Metroid but the original Metroid is a mess like that because the only way they could even FIT a game that big onto a NES cartridge is by reusing rooms. That's why you can sequence break the shit out of it by glitching through the doors--because the warp points for each room make no visual sense.

i wanna say super metroid is like, 90% a possible 2D space, with only a few spots where there's like a room with a really high ceiling cutting into the room located above it, that sorta thing

Speed Racer on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's likely that it jumps you around while something in the foreground is obscuring the camera while you move between rooms

I was actually just hearing that in Firewatch, the only time they actually cheat it is when you're exploring that cave, because it's too labyrinthian to naturally take you where you need to end up, so in the middle of the "climb up/drop down" animations, they move you around

6F32U1X.png
    pretty much every video game cheats like hell with how it positions things, because even if it's possible technologically to do everything straight it's more efficient to cheat

pretty much every video game cheats like hell with how it positions things, because even if it's possible technologically to do everything straight it's more efficient to cheat

Yeah from a software perspective there's no actual benefit to following the rules of real world 3D space.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Making a 3D game just sounds like you have to completely break how your brain processes real space so you can simulate real space

Another thing the Firewatch commentary mode adds is it puts in some TVs around the map that let you see what your character actually looks like, and it's a monstrosity of a regular sized torso, no head, and gigantic arms and hands that are positioned incredibly unnaturally because nobody actually holds their arms like you do in first-person games

6F32U1X.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Making a 3D game just sounds like you have to completely break how your brain processes real space so you can simulate real space

Another thing the Firewatch commentary mode adds is it puts in some TVs around the map that let you see what your character actually looks like, and it's a monstrosity of a regular sized torso, no head, and gigantic arms and hands that are positioned incredibly unnaturally because nobody actually holds their arms like you do in first-person games

82XETR6.jpg

yeah it can get kinda silly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeA-386t38Q

this remains a favourite, though

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

Metroid 1 actually has a perfectly cromulent map, since the grid-based way they made the game means that they can't actually make things overlap

they reuse a bunch of rooms, though, just reskinned a bit and with a few different enemies here and there, and so if you manage to clip outside the ordinary map you're out in the wild in the grid and the game tries to make sense of what's supposed to be in, say, block (19, 3) - like SMB's level -1, basically, or all the other ones where the game tries to turn junk data into a map
    clipping outside the map is also interesting since you can skip the pallete-swap triggers in elevators and whatnot and thus go into Norfair with the Kraid palette or whatever

now Metroid 2, on the other hand

boy that sure is a map

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    relevant gifv slightly too large to inline
    https://i.imgur.com/NDDJs9Z.mp4

cB557 on
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Just did he Challenge in The Witness and that was really cool. I had a lot of fun with that.

Not coincidentally, the mechanics utilized in those puzzles were not of the varieties that I felt were the most BS.
    The most BS were sound (the second version of which was not given a proper tutorial like the initial version) and color (the broken/damaged panels were dumb and basically require you to screenshot them, no good way of working it out mentally)

The challenge was the best part of that game because it was a natural progression of difficulty (with some luck in certain sections) and not straight up dumb like some of the regular puzzles. It took me a lot of tries, a "I give up!" moment, and then got it fairly easily the next try.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

82XETR6.jpg

I would play a game as Orangutan Adam Jensen.

Brolo wrote: »

82XETR6.jpg

I would play a game as Orangutan Adam Jensen.

They could do a Planet of the Apes cross-promotion. Deus Ex: Simiankind Divided

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    It's not the Planet of the Apes, but you can see it from here.

Etchwarts on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

i wanna say super metroid is like, 90% a possible 2D space, with only a few spots where there's like a room with a really high ceiling cutting into the room located above it, that sorta thing

I think the only time they bend stuff in super Metroid is the elevators, which don't align perfectly in all cases?

I don't think there are any rooms which cut into each other

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

The literal actual best thing about Dead Island was that it modeled your character, and then ALSO generated your shadow based on that, so watching your shadow as you moved around was a complete horror show

Fuck all those zombies, you are the craziest thing on that island

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

The literal actual best thing about Dead Island was that it modeled your character, and then ALSO generated your shadow based on that, so watching your shadow as you moved around was a complete horror show

There was also, apparently, a secret cheat code to go into third person, so you can see how this sort of thing actually looks to cause this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXmZX8iz2SE

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    How did people feel about Jazzpunk here, It's in the psn sale and I'm tempted

Any good?

Jazzpunk is amazing.

Hey you weren't lying, it was great!

PSN- AHermano
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

There was also, apparently, a secret cheat code to go into third person, so you can see how this sort of thing actually looks to cause this:

wasn't that game a mostly multiplayer game though? like, did they just have different models displayed?

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

wasn't that game a mostly multiplayer game though? like, did they just have different models displayed?

It had co-op but I believe when you were playing it with folks their models were different.

• Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

It had co-op but I believe when you were playing it with folks their models were different.

Yeah, and that's how every fps since they started showing more of the player's body works

Most "immersive first person" mods in Bethesda games slap a camera to the third person model and while that can be neat it's not really a good way to play a game

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
    Rocket League was the best-selling game on the PSN store for 2016

More than Battlefield and Call of Duty, more than Minecraft, more than GTAV

6F32U1X.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

Most downloaded

Most downloaded

It was never available for free last year

6F32U1X.png
    Oh, that's fair, I wasn't really thinking of that

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    A friend of mine has gone hard into Rocket League. It's the only game he plays now, replacing Destiny. He switched to the PC version - he actually bought a PC specifically to play the game at a much higher framerate

Did you know Rocket League added blind boxes? They really are everywhere now

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Rocket League rules

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Did you know Rocket League added blind boxes? They really are everywhere now

barf

I'm totally fine with how Rocket League handles items, because you get a new one after almost every single complete match you play

6F32U1X.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I know that they give out random items but UV makes it sound like they added microtransaction gambling boxes

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I know that they give out random items but UV makes it sound like they added microtransaction gambling boxes

I think they still give out stuff like at launch

But they have chests where you can buy keys to unlock them now, if I understand correctly

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    They kind of had to rethink their monotization plan after a ton of people got the game for free on PSN.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    They kind of had to rethink their monotization plan after a ton of people got the game for free on PSN.

They were paid for those copies.

liEt3nH.png
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Rocket league drops random items after a semi-random amount of matches. YOu can combine like-rarity items for a random item of a higher rarity.

On a completely seperate drop rate you also get Crates. You can only open crates with $1 keys. But you can A)Trade items and crates, and B) Turn off notifications that you've received crates.

It sucks but it also doesn't suck. They also release new DLC cars for around 3 bucks a pop on the regular and I LOVE THEM. Plus free maps.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    The Rocket League crates are so superfluous that it's basically just a tip jar

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

They were paid for those copies.

Sure, but was that a flat sum rather than per download? Either way, I imagine it put them into a completely different different financial situation than they expected, where they had a much bigger playerbase than they anticipated, but not necassarily at a similarly increased rate of revenue that would normally entail.

Undead Scottsman on
This discussion has been closed.