As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DZC] Dropzone Commander 1.1 - Dropfleet Commander is Out!

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting on mine. Or a response from Hawk about why it's taking so long and why they're not returning my emails from November.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm still waiting on mine. Or a response from Hawk about why it's taking so long and why they're not returning my emails from November.

Yeah I hadn't got any beforehand information about when it would arrive and no response to my emails to them.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    My pledge came and thankfully the models were all there, however a bunch of addons were missing. Much like everyone else I've received no emails in response to my queries.

Messing up invoices and shipping delays are one thing. The total lack of communication and responses is another.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I got my basic two starter set, I don't know if I got the battlecruisers I ordered for sure, I'll have to check all of the stuff, I know I got the shirt I asked for. I don't think the two player set they sent to backers is the same as the boxed set in stores, is it?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    There's no box, but all of the components should be in there.

Battlecruisers come in their own plastic bag, it's a baggie with the additional resin pieces and a cruiser sprue (two for the Shaltari).

If you are building the UCM ones note that you'll need two large turrets from another sprue for one of them (Atlantis). The second sprue can build a St Petersburg, Berlin, or San Francisco. The other one (Avalon) requires two small turrets (if you built a Seattle you can steal from that sprue).

In both cases people are complaining that they need an additional small antenna piece that's not available to go on bottom, but I didn't miss them personally.

One additional piece of advice, put the "top" of the cruiser on before adding the "wings" for UCM, it's a lot easier to make sure it fits right.

EDIT: I had the Battlecruiser names flipped.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, sidenote: If you build the UCM starter as suggested (Moscow, Berlin, Seattle), you will not have the large turrets needed to build the Atlantis.

Unless you bought an Avalon as well, or got the free cruiser sprue.

• Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Anybody have any experience with the scourge overseer/oppressor combo? Looks solid.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    There's no box, but all of the components should be in there.

Battlecruisers come in their own plastic bag, it's a baggie with the additional resin pieces and a cruiser sprue (two for the Shaltari).

If you are building the UCM ones note that you'll need two large turrets from another sprue for one of them (Atlantis). The second sprue can build a St Petersburg, Berlin, or San Francisco. The other one (Avalon) requires two small turrets (if you built a Seattle you can steal from that sprue).

In both cases people are complaining that they need an additional small antenna piece that's not available to go on bottom, but I didn't miss them personally.

One additional piece of advice, put the "top" of the cruiser on before adding the "wings" for UCM, it's a lot easier to make sure it fits right.

EDIT: I had the Battlecruiser names flipped.

So should it just be a bag with an additional sprue like the other plastic bags with sprue's in them, or should it be different from the other ones somehow?

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Should be a bag with 1 sprue, and a small baggie within the bag with the resin pieces and base.

You should have (I think)

1 bag with the UCM starter (3 cruiser sprues, 1 frigate sprue, 1 base sprue)
    1 bag with the Scourge starter (3 cruiser, 1 frigate, 1 base)
    1 bag with frigates
    1 bag with cruisers
    1 bag with bases
    1 bag as above for each battlecruiser

Nobody on
  • Options
    Alright I think I've got those then, thank goodness.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Finally got my shipping notification from Hawk yesterday. My giant box of plastic should arrive tomorrow.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Yay! Game is really good. Shame about the kickstarter fulfilment. :(

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Got my first game in finally

Moscows going weapons free are scary, but my Seattle was the big killer of the night with its bombers getting the killing blow on a Theseus and killing a Europa leading to a chain reaction killing the other one.

I didn't find BTLs all that exciting on either side of the board.

• Options
    I find Seattles to be very reliable killers with the bombers and the fact that they don't need to go weapons free to fire at full effect. That's why I built two!

Burnthroughts are pretty swingy. I was unimpressed for the first couple of games, but then the Berlin turned in a very solid performance and so I built a Squadron of New Cairos. Generating 10 Crits off a non-weapons free order is ... nice.

• Options
    I feel better after using the Seattle, because I really wanted to build a list that looked something like this:

UCM Fleet - 1490pts
    UCM - 15 launch assets

SR18 Flag battlegroup (286pts)
    1 x Tokyo - 220pts - S
    + UCM Captain (20pts, 2AV)
    3 x Santiago - 66pts - L

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (242pts)
    1 x Atlantis - 205pts - H
    1 x Lima - 37pts - L

SR11 Line battlegroup (275pts)
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
    1 x San Francisco - 111pts - M
    1 x Jakarta - 32pts - L

SR11 Line battlegroup (275pts)
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
    1 x Jakarta - 32pts - L

SR7 Pathfinder battlegroup (196pts)
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
    2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L

SR7 Pathfinder battlegroup (196pts)
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

I'm going to blot out the sun with my bombers

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    so what is the possibility/feasibility of doing a mega metacampaign of dropfleets entering orbit around a planet duking it out and providing reinforcements/bonuses to a ground campaign, and vice versa?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So, out of interest as I'm a sucker for new shiney space games, what are the rules for this like and how much am I looking at to get into Dropfleet?/Can I get into it right now or do I have to wait till after kick starter stuff is done?

• Options
    so what is the possibility/feasibility of doing a mega metacampaign of dropfleets entering orbit around a planet duking it out and providing reinforcements/bonuses to a ground campaign, and vice versa?

It actually is presented as an option in the book, but you'd want to set up the DFC battle where you can leave it sit for several days at a time, as one DFC turn may equal multiple DZC games.
    So, out of interest as I'm a sucker for new shiney space games, what are the rules for this like and how much am I looking at to get into Dropfleet?/Can I get into it right now or do I have to wait till after kick starter stuff is done?

You can buy the starters, rulebook, and battleships right now. The cruiser and frigate expansion boxes will be available next week. All that's missing right now are a few of the options like some parts for the space stations (which are optional) and Corvettes (which people are kitbashing now).

• Options
    Neat, how much of stuff do I currently need to play a semi interesting game? Considering the DZC's starter set felt... underwhelming without more.

Also is there a video showing off the mechanics of the game?

Also also I really wish they'd stop putting the Scourge in the starter packs because I'd take literally any of the other factions.

• Options
    You'd probably run into a similar problem with DFC. I don't have much experience above the starter level yet, but the alternating activations based on which battlegroup you activate first may change things up a bit.

This is a bit of a long video, but it's Beast of Wars and the Hawk's founder playing through the tutorial mission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j89Q-ZxNF94

• Options
    Yeah, was just watching that.

On average how do the factions play and what'd be a good way to expand Scourge/UCM or UCM/Some other starting set because Scourge kinda bore me (and the person I think would enjoy playing it).

• Options
    UCM I posted the fleet I want to build, but there are talk of heavy BTL builds with Limas in the facebook group (Limas can force spikes and reveal ships that are silent running, so you can ping them at longer range. I've heard of turret heavy fleets too (and after seeing the Moscow in action when it went weapons free I can see why). I haven't paid as much attention at Shaltari/PHR builds to say for those :(

Generally it's hard to go wrong buying two starter fleets, building one based on the suggested starter build, and then going from there after you've determined what you like/don't like.

• Options
    Currently I'm mostly just staring at how much I'd want to budget vs the fact that scourge make starting the game more expensive because I don't really want their starter fleet at all.

• Options
    Keep an eye on Ebay, unfortunately due to the KS fiasco some of the people who got their fleets decided to dump them as they got them, so you may be able to find what you want there cheaply.

• Options
    Blah, and one last question: What sort of ships can I build with the starter set ones? Looking at a list builder now after scanning a basic rules explanation to try and get an idea of what I'd like to have.

• Options
    All of the cruisers and frigates. Heavy cruisers require you to steal parts from a second sprue (the Moscow for example needs two additional chin turrets, but you can easily get those if you use the other sprue to make a BTL ship, bombardment ship, or troop ship).

Battlecruisers, Battleships, and Corvettes are separate kits (the KS Battlecruisers use a cruiser sprue, but usually need parts from a second one).

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Welp, I put a bid on a set on E-bay that's going for only £30 + P+P so we'll see how that goes.

In terms of initial assembly how do they recommend you put it together? Toying around with the builder I've come up with something like this:
    Scourge Starter - 563pts
    Scourge - 5 launch assets

SR10 Vanguard battlegroup (170pts)
    1 x Shenlong - 170pts - H

SR5 Line battlegroup (140pts)
    1 x Hydra - 140pts - M

SR5 Line battlegroup (105pts)
    1 x Chimera - 105pts - M

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (148pts)
    2 x Scylla - 84pts - L
    2 x Gargoyle - 64pts - L

VS:

Starter - 565pts
    UCM - 3 launch assets

SR10 Vanguard battlegroup (163pts)
    1 x Moscow - 163pts - H

SR6 Line battlegroup (148pts)
    1 x Lima - 37pts - L

SR5 Line battlegroup (132pts)
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
       + UCM Captain (20pts, 2AV)

SR3 Pathfinder battlegroup (102pts)
    2 x Toulon - 70pts - L
    1 x New Orleans - 32pts - L

EDIT: And some roughly 1K lists.
    Scourge Starter boosted - 1004pts
    Scourge - 5 launch assets

SR10 Vanguard battlegroup (170pts)

SR5 Line battlegroup (140pts)
    1 x Hydra - 140pts - M

SR7 Line battlegroup (175pts)
    1 x Chimera - 105pts - M
    2 x Charybdis - 70pts - L

SR15 Line battlegroup (285pts)
    2 x Strix - 180pts - M
    1 x Wyvern - 105pts - M

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (148pts)
    2 x Scylla - 84pts - L
    2 x Gargoyle - 64pts - L

SR2 Pathfinder battlegroup (86pts)
    2 x Djinn - 86pts - L

VS

Up to 1K - 991pts
    UCM - 3 launch assets

SR15 Flag battlegroup (220pts)
    1 x Tokyo - 220pts - S

SR12 Vanguard battlegroup (241pts)
    1 x Moscow - 163pts - H
    2 x Taipei - 78pts - L

SR7 Line battlegroup (185pts)
    2 x Lima - 74pts - L

SR10 Line battlegroup (211pts)
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
    1 x Madrid - 79pts - M

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (134pts)
    2 x Toulon - 70pts - L

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So I have an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket and I'm eyeballing DZC.

Is the separate UCM starter box content the same as you get in the 2-player box?

• Options
    the older ones were resin instead of plastic, and come with better inf. minis, and slight differences like the condor's canopies not having to be put on,....and maybe 1 less bear apc, but otherwise the UCM starter box is the same as the 2 player version. The older ones also came with the option for a sweet KR case for it + a bit more room for expansion.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Damn TLAs. Meant DFC, not DZC.

• Options
    In that case yes, they're identical. Though obviously you lack the rules, starter map and tokens.

• Options
    The recommended starter build for UCM is Moscow, Seattle, Berlin, 2xToulon, 2xNew Orleans.

I'm a little iffy on running battleships at under 1K but the Tokyo may be cheap enough to pull it off.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, it honestly seems bad but the model's gorgeous so if I go all in on it I'd kinda like to pick it up.

EDIT: What's the scourge starter list if you don't mind? And recommended battlegroups? Just kinda trying to get a grips of stuff and plan out.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    The UCM recommended is:

Moscow
    2xNew Orleans

Berlin
    2xToulon

Seattle

The Scourge suggested starter list is:

Shenlong
    Ifrit
    Wyvern
    2xHarpy
    2xGargoyle

I don't have their cards handy so I can't tell you their battlegroup set up, but I guess it's something like this:
    Scourge - 533pts
    Scourge - 0 launch assets

SR12 Vanguard battlegroup (234pts)
    2 x Gargoyle - 64pts - L

SR7 Line battlegroup (194pts)
    1 x Ifrit - 110pts - M
    2 x Harpy - 84pts - L

SR5 Line battlegroup (105pts)
    1 x Wyvern - 105pts - M

(the starters all suggest battlegroups with 5, 7, and 12 SR respectively, so this is my best guess).

In case folks are wondering, the suggested PHR is something like:
    SR12 Vanguard battlegroup (250pts)
    1 x Hector - 170pts - H
    2 x Europa - 80pts - L

SR5 Line battlegroup (89pts)
    1 x Theseus - 89pts - M

SR7 Pathfinder battlegroup (193pts)
    1 x Ikarus - 115pts - M
    2 x Medea - 78pts - L

• Options
    Ah well, was outbid. Gonna snag Element Games last copy. I'll happily pay a little more to put it into the usual company I get stuff off and hopefully ensure getting it before next game day.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Random question: I've seen a few people on the official forums have battleships, but have no idea where they bought them. I'm going to assume at a random convention Hawk was at or something, but if I'm wrong, has anyone seen where you can actually buy them at this point?

• Options
    Nah Battleships are on general release. They're on the shelf of my FLGS.

• Options
    Battleships and starters are available now.

Cruiser and Frigate boxes will be available the 20th of this month.

Corvettes and non-KS Battlecruisers have not been announced yet (but they have shown renders for the Corvettes).

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Must still be regional. I noted a few places online had them available, but mostly it's preorders. The starters have been available in Canada, but that's it. I'll see what crops up in distribution.

[Edit]
    Excellent, we can order them. Half price is definitely the price I want to pay for $55 miniatures. I'm floored that's the approximate Canadian MSRP for the battleships ...

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    K, I'm finishing up my UCM stuff for dzc, and am about to start my ferrum. What do y'all think about painting it admech red-ish, even though the rest of my army is grey? Could spin it like it comes from a different or force. Should it just be grey like the rest?