As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need Blu ray player for windows 10

HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
Hi I just installed a blu ray drive into my pc and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to play any blu rays.

I've tried VLC, Windows Media Player, Pot Player, Media Player Classic - Home cinema. The software the blu ray drive came with burning software but no player.

Is my only option to purchase a player online?

P2n5r3l.jpg
Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Hi I just installed a blu ray drive into my pc and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to play any blu rays.

I've tried VLC, Windows Media Player, Pot Player, Media Player Classic - Home cinema. The software the blu ray drive came with burning software but no player.

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: yes, and you'll only have two real options (that's a bit of a lie...after trying out both of the options, there's only one real option) - CyberLink PowerDVD Pro or WinDVD Pro 11. Personally, I'd recommend PowerDVD Pro over WinDVD.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Ugh. The software that came with the blu ray drive is Cyberlink Photodirector 4 and Cyberlink Media Suite 10.

You'd think it would include an actual blu ray player, but nope.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    You'd think it would include an actual blu ray player, but nope.

The BDA's (Blu-Ray Disc Association) licensing is a giant flustercluck. Basically there are 2 layers, you have to license the tech itself, then there is a separate layer for media playback that companies also have to pony up for. So it's cheap as hell to license and put out BR software for general data storage and manipulation (the primary function of a BR drive in a PC at this time), but not so cheap to get permission to playback discs due to the multiple layers of DRM in each one (i.e. HDCP, AACS, and BD+) that each require digital verification of a disc's authenticity, as well as the soft and/or hardware's permission to playback the disc and it's basically not feasible or economical for a lot of software companies (in the case of PC playback) or hardware manufactures (in the case of standalone players) that aren't board memebers of the BDA to pay.

As various DRM's get circumvented, they add newer keys to AACS and BD+ that devices have to "phone home" to update/verify ad hoc, or need to be added by the soft/hardware provider to a whitelist via a firmware update. Even on dedicated players you can run into new discs that won't freaking play without a firmware update (was a lot more prevalent a few years back). It's a big frustration, considering how great of a format it is overall.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    So its the BDA's fault I'm in the predicament right now. Great. Shame I made things even worse for myself by purchasing the PowerDVD software from steam. Thee damn thing fails to properly install and launch.

I can't even set up a customer service ticket with steam because it redirects me to the Cyberlink website. So I've set up a customer service query there instead but I don't think the representative is even aware of the steam version. And I can't get the serial number because I can't open the program or find it in the registry editor.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You can probably issue a refund on steam for it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    If the Cyberlink customer service rep can't figure out how to fix this problem in the next few days then I will try to get a refund from steam. Sadly their official website's sale will be over by then, but I'm sure there'll be another sale with Christmas coming up

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Wow, really glad I decided to stop in and read this thread! I'm not considering buying a blu-ray player for my upcoming PC, but I had absolutely no idea this was a thing. That's complete arse!

forumsig.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I have a blu ray drive in my PC. It exists solely so I can take the odd blu ray that I still buy, which is way less than I used to, basically just my absolute favourite movies, and rip them. It has never occurred to me to actually play a blu-ray on my desktop computer honestly.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I have a blu ray drive in my PC. It exists solely so I can take the odd blu ray that I still buy, which is way less than I used to, basically just my absolute favourite movies, and rip them. It has never occurred to me to actually play a blu-ray on my desktop computer honestly.

Ya that's why I have mine as well, I rip em to put on my NAS and then they go on a shelf.

makes playback way easier that way too as I can just select any of my movies to play on any tv as they all have streaming boxes of some sort.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    The only reason I have blu-ray playback software is so I can, every now and then, induce a migraine by flipping on a 3D movie (yay for NVidia 3D Vision). Now, granted, being able to watch How To Train Your Dragon 1 and 2 in 3D (and Pacific Rim) makes it worth it to me...but, as with all things like this, YMMV (and likely not be worth it).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Just a heads up that I've refunded the steam version of the PowerDVD software and got the official one from the Cyberlink website. Ended up being cheaper than steam due to the sale plus the extra 15% off code for bronze members.

Still annoyed that I had to buy a software for blu ray playback, but at least my issue is solved.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I've tried the rather unofficial and possibly sketchy .dll-addition-to-VLC method (not linking here but it's easily found), but that doesn't really solve the issue - it'll play the feature but no menus or anything, so it'd be useless for TV series, etc, and of course it doesn't solve the key update problem either for newer discs. So far I've only got one Blu-ray disc anyway, The Road, and I only got that off a car boot sale to test the drive out.

I've only got BD-capable hardware quite recently. I only just got a PS3 (yes, 3) a couple of months back, and it's actually currently serving primarily as a streaming device (BBC iPlayer etc) for my mum. My laptop (bought used early last year) came with a Blu-ray drive but no software for it besides the drivers.

It's utterly stupid that the cheapest version of PowerDVD that will play Blu-rays costs three times as much (when not on sale) as a new basic Blu-ray player. At least there is a solution available, I guess, but still.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yup, it's super dumb. It's not like the video codec is anything magic either. You're literally paying out the ass for the drm itself.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I think the Bluray group or whatever it's called went a little crazy after dvd encryption was broken so easily.

Not that it stopped people from doing the same to bluray.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Foomy wrote: »
    I think the Bluray group or whatever it's called went a little crazy after dvd encryption was broken so easily.

Not that it stopped people from doing the same to bluray.

And exactly zero people were surprised when bluray was broken.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    yeah, using a bdrom drive to watch movies is pure bullshit.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Zilla360 on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I haven't built a new computer in a decade so pardon my ignorance, but are there any issues with blu ray drives as regular readers? i.e. my OEM windows 10 disc I have for a fresh install won't be an issue in a new blu ray drive?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited January 2016
      TimFiji wrote: »
      I haven't built a new computer in a decade so pardon my ignorance, but are there any issues with blu ray drives as regular readers? i.e. my OEM windows 10 disc I have for a fresh install won't be an issue in a new blu ray drive?

Nope! No issues that I've encountered. Without the playback software, the blu-ray drive works just fine as a data reader (or writer, if you have a burner drive).

Erlkönig on
    • Options
      Johnsmith123Johnsmith123 Registered User new member

VLC can play blu ray movie, i have used for several discs, but you need download and place the AACS and BD+ DRM libraries and keys in order to play Blu Ray on Windows 10. And for the latest blu ray disc movie which are not supported by VLC, you can use the third-party software like UFUSoft Blu ray player you mentioned, it works well. Hope it helps.

• Options
      The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
      I ran into this issue recently when I tried to watch a movie on my laptop. Is it just me or did blu-rays used to play fine on earlier versions of Windows, and now they don't include the codex anymore and you have to buy it?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    • Options
      Windows has never had native blu-ray support, and probably never will because of how retarded the blu-ray spec is.

• Options
      The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
      LD50 wrote: »
      Windows has never had native blu-ray support, and probably never will because of how retarded the blu-ray spec is.

Must be thinking DVDs then, cause I know I used to take a fistful of movies with me on trips and watch them on my laptop in the past.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    • Options
      I think windows might have built in dvd support. Even if it doesn't getting dvds working in windows is trivial.

Blu-ray data disks work fine, but the movie spec is so stupidly drm ridden that it contains a spec for an entire java virtual machine.

• Options
      ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
      DVDs run on Win 7 and 8/8.1, but the functionality was stripped out in Win10 to cut costs. Installing VLC is an easy way around that, though.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    • Options
      yes. Microsoft took DVD support out of windows 10 because the usage over time showed that pretty much no one watches disc based media on their PC's anymore, especially with most PC's sold (being laptops) don't even come with optical drives.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    • Options
      StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
      And THAT, fellows, is why streaming is kicking so much ass.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
      camo_sig2.png
    • Options

The only issue I have with streaming movies is that the bit-rate jacks up black levels (makes it look like a starburst of greys instead of a solid black). When I watch the same movie on blu-ray, the starburst effect doesn't show up. This pissed me off so much in the Dark Knight trilogy and in Batman vs. Superman.

• Options

Well, it's more that streaming is kicking ass, so why bother with the dvd player software.

• Options
      I will agree with you on the bit rate thing. on netflix you're oging ot see maybe 5mbit down on a good day, blu-ray video can be 35mbit/s. The quality is so much better, but for the vast majority of people, the convenience of streaming outweighs the bad. And more realistically, I doubt the average Joe would be able to tell the difference without seeing both side by side, and even if they do, the reaction will be "eh, but then I'd have to buy a disc"

• Options
      BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
      edited January 2017
      This is a dumb question but how do you play DVDs in Win10? the app it gives you doesn't do what I want it to do {it looks for videos on the computer not the drive}

Music CDs work fine? but movies and such don't want to play? I am really confused when it comes to the dvd player app they give you for free as it doesn't let you open files or attempt to play them

Brainleech on
    • Options
      Brainleech wrote: »
      This is a dumb question but how do you play DVDs in Win10? the app it gives you doesn't do what I want it to do {it looks for videos on the computer not the drive}

Music CDs work fine? but movies and such don't want to play? I am really confused when it comes to the dvd player app they give you for free as it doesn't let you open files or attempt to play them

You can't play DVDs in Windows 10. Install VLC.

• Options
      BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
      Shadowfire wrote: »

Which is what?

• Options
      bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
      Shadowfire wrote: »

Which is what?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    • Options
      tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
      VLC has a Windows 10 app as well I think.

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
      And THAT, fellows, is why piracy is kicking so much ass.

FTFY.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
    This discussion has been closed.