As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2017 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• duckerducker MARegistered User regular
    Why is there such a concern about tickets. Aside from Saturday - tickets are still available for Friday and Sunday. I would expect Sunday tickets to be available for quite some time given how long Friday's have been available for.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I believe people are discussing whether or not they are legally resellable due to some language that was mistakenly added to the showclix sale page this year. It's probably, at this point, a good topic to continue in the registration thread as opposed to the Q&A thread if people want to continue that discussion.

• SpaghettoSpaghetto Registered User regular
    Is the smash bros. room going to make an appearance again? That was one of my favorite things you guys have done in past years (other than the yogobo eating area in 2015), it was especially great if you were a bit burned out from the expo hall, just playing friendlies with others and gitting gud.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    The Japanese arcade machines that made it to Anime Boston last year, I would love to see them at PAX East this year. Does anyone know who'll be this year's arcade vendor? Because if it's not set in stone, convince Tokyo Attack to bring their machines, like the table flipper and the taiko drum arcade machines to PAX East.

iTNdmYl.png
  • craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Tokyo Attack is awesome! They also bring their setup to CTCon and its tons of fun. I'd love to see them at PAX.

DXLJjjr.png
  • SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I contacted Tokyo Attack on Facebook they responded saying they have tried to contact PAX in the past and never got a response.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    The text on the registration page has been updated to the following:
    NO exchanges or refunds. Tickets to PAX East are non-refundable and non-upgradeable.

Right, what they're saying is they won't refund your purchase or move/release your ticket reservation to someone else. You get the tickets, from there what happens is your business.

p3HkbcM.png
  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    Spaghetto wrote: »
    Is the smash bros. room going to make an appearance again? That was one of my favorite things you guys have done in past years (other than the yogobo eating area in 2015), it was especially great if you were a bit burned out from the expo hall, just playing friendlies with others and gitting gud.

The Smash Bros room IS PAX East. It'll be there. And if the rumor of an all-inclusive special edition for Switch turns out to be true, then we'll be playing that at PAX East 2018 and beyond.

I remember when it was the OG Console Freeplay room, and just evolved into the Smash Bros room to free up Nintendo systems in the actual Freeplay room.

Not that it actually helps. :biggrin:

erdub14zr3u2.png

• guinesscosplayguinesscosplay Registered User new member
    Is there a costume/cosplay competition??

I don't believe PAX has operated its own before, but some vendors and exhibitors have held/sponsored some in the past. Some are for specific properties, some just generalized ones. Probably won't know much until the PAX schedule is available (February).

• SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I didn't want to make a whole thread for this but it looks like applications for Enforcers are now available if people are interested:

http://east.paxsite.com/enforcers

Apologies if this is in the wrong place =(

Solanales on

P0P7S6y.png
  • SegaGirl151SegaGirl151 MARegistered User new member
    Hey there. Finally, after years of missing out on badges was able to get two for myself and a friend for Friday this year. Wondering if there will be a retro gaming room this year? Are retro games like Sega, Nintendo and Arcade games featured at all? Thanks. Psyched about attending this year for the first time.

yes. The classic console room will have basically every console previous to last generation. There is often also an arcade, separate from the classic console room.

• SegaGirl151SegaGirl151 MARegistered User new member
    Whoops. Sorry. Will re-read the rules for posts. Just curious about retro gaming info at Pax East.

• NFGNFG NintendoFanGirl Registered User regular

In past years, some after-hours parties (off-premises) have hosted cosplay competitions with cash/tech prizes, so keep an eye on the party info when that starts to emerge.

In addition, on the exhibition floor there are some companies that sponsor small judged-by-applause cosplay contests at their booths, usually with their own products as prizes (Corsair comes to mind as one I've participated in).

And then some developers have hosted competitions for their own series' (I think Riot did it once? And maybe a few others); but these are few and far between.

Just keep an eye out on these forums and in cosplay groups and anything happening will likely pop up. Unfortunately there's usually not much info until the week or two before the event, I wouldn't specifically make anything for craftsmanship/contest purposes for PAX East unless you're making it anyway for Katsu or something.

S2ieAvx.png
  • EradiKateEradiKate Registered User regular
    ERADIKATE'S ESSAY ON EATING EDIFICATION

The area around the BCEC has been developing at a pretty rapid pace since the last PAX, and we are reaping the rewards!
    1. There is now a Shake Shack within walking distance of the BCEC. Yes, it's a chain. But the burgers are excellent and you can get a satisfying lunch or dinner for less than $10 per person.
    2. Bon Me isn't exactly new, but it's what would happen if a Chipotle and a Vietnamese noodle shop had an illegitimate baby. Great if you want something a little different without going far or breaking the bank. If I remember correctly, the food truck has stopped by in past years. (I make a point of having lunch here.)
    3. If you want to sit down and enjoy your meal, Rosa Mexicano is good. Get the queso, put it on your enchilada...unless you're like me and can eat the whole damn thing before your meal arrives.
    4. Blue Dragon is also really tasty.
    5. For seafood, skip No Name and head to The Barking Crab, The Daily Catch, or Legal. LTK is good too. My personal favorite is the naked lobster roll at Barking Crab.
    6. If you're willing to spend a bit more, but don't necessarily want seafood, Gather offers comfort food with trendy touches and a great cocktail menu. Get the braised short rib with gnocchi.
    7. I have not yet gone to Strega but oh man, it is on my list. My husband says it's amazing.
    8. And if you are in dire need of dessert, Flour Bakery.

It should be noted that there's also a Jimmy John's, a Chipotle, and several Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts within walking distance as well.

Yo Sushi remains untested, as does Yankee Lobster and a few others.

These are all within easy walking distance; there are lots of great places elsewhere in Boston. Chinatown is chock full of good places to eat (Avana Sushi is affordable and delicious). The Theater District is home to Tantric, some of the best Indian food I've ever tasted. The North End is where to go if you want pizza or pasta.

And last, but certainly not least, GO TO HARPOON BREWERY. Eat the pretzels. Drink some beer. Take the tour if you are so inclined.

PAX East Attendee. Professional Tabletop Gamer. Donut Enthusiast.
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a sense of when the panel applications are getting reviewed this year? I'm assuming within a week or two after PAX South, but if anyone had more precise information it would be very helpful.

• tkim6599tkim6599 Registered User new member
    What do you guys do for medical emergencies? Is there a first aid room?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    The BCEC's first aid office is in the SW corner of the North Lobby, near the elevator.

Floor plan

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • OfficialBunnieDollOfficialBunnieDoll Registered User new member
    Hi!

I have a cosplay that i want to do for Pax East but my concern is that i use a wheel table for it to hold my prop as i walk around. Is this not allowed on the Pax East main floor?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    http://east.paxsite.com/safety-and-security#expo-hall-policies
    For safety reasons, the following are not allowed to be used specifically inside the expo hall:
    • Strollers (they may be carried)
    • Stilts
    • Remote controlled vehicles
    • Rollerskates, rollerblades, and other forms of recreational wheeled transport
    Given the crowd density, situations that require mass egress would be restricted by these devices.

Stopping in Expo Hall aisles for cosplay photos is not permitted.

What you're describing doesn't strictly fall under those guidelines, but in spirit (bulky and/or wheeled item that is not a wheelchair) I'd say it does. Other attendees would probably be quite annoyed as well. I would not be surprised if you were stopped trying to bring that onto the floor.

• ViciousKidViciousKid Registered User regular
    ViciousKid wrote: »
    djlybs wrote: »
    They probably won't again this year... they had issues with people taking beer away from the bar in years past...

Would be great if we could get a definite answer.
    your best bet is to email pax_questions@paxsite.com for that one, if you want an answer based on the future plans as opposed to our past experiences.

I emailed PAX directly and I got a response that there will be NO Alcohol served at PAX this year. =/ BYOB!

No alcohol served also likely means no alcohol permitted in the convention center at all.

No alcohol served also likely means no alcohol permitted in the convention center at all.

You can get it in, be creative, it is not that hard.

But if it's also not allowed on premise, don't be stupid. Not worth losing your badge over, so be diligent. Of course, this goes for every year with people overindulging, even when alcohol has been allowed on premise.

S2ieAvx.png
    There are plenty of bars in close proximity anyways.

P0P7S6y.png
  • MaiuMaiu Registered User regular
    I received an email that my order was flagged as an over purchase. It says I'm allowed to keep my badges but I have to pick them up in person. I'm just wondering why it was flagged, seeing as I am within the parameters of "4 badges per type per household". I have 2 Friday, 4 Saturday and 2 Sunday, and no one else at my address has ordered. Any thoughts?

Maiu wrote: »
    I received an email that my order was flagged as an over purchase. It says I'm allowed to keep my badges but I have to pick them up in person. I'm just wondering why it was flagged, seeing as I am within the parameters of "4 badges per type per household". I have 2 Friday, 4 Saturday and 2 Sunday, and no one else at my address has ordered. Any thoughts?

Possibly flagged because someone with a similar name or something had ordered? It is a bit odd.

I would probably request a refund of the USPS cost if I were you, and maybe request the reasoning why it was flagged at least.

S2ieAvx.png
    You all just got kicked out the Cool Kid Club

How about don't encourage breaking PAX rules on the official PAX forums?

• MaiuMaiu Registered User regular
    NFG wrote: »
    Maiu wrote: »

Possibly flagged because someone with a similar name or something had ordered? It is a bit odd.

I would probably request a refund of the USPS cost if I were you, and maybe request the reasoning why it was flagged at least.

I assume because I have 4 on Saturday but only 2 on Friday and Sunday. But I feel like I can't be the only one who bought different amounts for different days.

• CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    ilta wrote: »
    Does anyone have a sense of when the panel applications are getting reviewed this year? I'm assuming within a week or two after PAX South, but if anyone had more precise information it would be very helpful.

I haven't heard anything about either panel I submitted. Usually I hear around mid-January or early February. PAX East is early this year, so my expectation is within the next two weeks.

e2TtnRd.png
  • sosgamerswessosgamerswes Registered User new member
    Who do I speak to so I can submit for a panel for me and my team?

Thanks in advanced

Thanks in advanced

• sosgamerswessosgamerswes Registered User new member
    whypick1 wrote: »

Thanks in advanced

How long is a while ago did panel submissions close?
    Also thanks for the heads up.

whypick1 wrote: »

Thanks in advanced

How long is a while ago did panel submissions close?
    Also thanks for the heads up.

The deadline this year was December 16th, 2016

P0P7S6y.png
  • Aredhel22Aredhel22 Blue Nova Cosplay PittsburghRegistered User regular
    So I have a mighty need to be one of the first people in line for the dealers room. As I understand it, I need to be in the queue room, and the doors don't open until 8am. Are the doors the very front doors where if you walk straight, you're going down the escalator to the dealers room?

Which doors am I going through? Where am I going to get my badge checked? I'd like to get in as early as possible, which means I'm ready and willing to wait outside locked doors for however long.

I've never been to the convention center earlier than 11 am. Thanks for the help!!

cFhq9lX.jpg
    Aredhel22 wrote: »
    So I have a mighty need to be one of the first people in line for the dealers room. As I understand it, I need to be in the queue room, and the doors don't open until 8am. Are the doors the very front doors where if you walk straight, you're going down the escalator to the dealers room?

Which doors am I going through? Where am I going to get my badge checked? I'd like to get in as early as possible, which means I'm ready and willing to wait outside locked doors for however long.

I've never been to the convention center earlier than 11 am. Thanks for the help!!

The doors that you will need to enter are in fact the very front doors that lead to the escalators straight ahead. You will not be able to get into the queue room before that as far as I know. There will be a security station outside that will have to check your bags and so on. Then you will go up to the doors and typically there can be a badge check at the door or when you're going into the queue room.

We're not sure where the queue room is this year yet, but if it's like the last two years, you will need to head in, then take the hallway on the left (south) side of the convention center, then go down some escalators, then back the hall more until you can eventually get into the queue room. Be warned that standing in the queue hall is taxing on your legs/feet as you pretty much only have room to stand and the floor is solid concrete.

P0P7S6y.png
    If you enter the convention center before 1000, pretty much everyone is working to show you to where the queue area is.

If you enter the convention center before 1000, pretty much everyone is working to show you to where the queue area is.

Including people dancing at the bottom of escalators lol

P0P7S6y.png