As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In Soviet Russia, Election Hacks YOU

1323334353638»

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    There is no political benefit to the intelligence community pissing off the incoming administration. If anything there is an understandable political incentive to downplay what happened and take a more conciliatory line to the president elect.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I heard on the radio that there's supposed to be another senate hearing with the IC today. Does anyone know when? I'm failing at finding anything online.

Found it. At one pm eastern there'll be another hearing with the heads of CIA, NSA, FBI, and DNI.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to figure out why Russian allies say that Hillary Clinton hates Russia. She may dislike Putin, but remember that her and especially Bill were BFFs with Yeltsin and Russia back in the 90's. So many editorial comics were published about them.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out why Russian allies say that Hillary Clinton hates Russia. She may dislike Putin, but remember that her and especially Bill were BFFs with Yeltsin and Russia back in the 90's. So many editorial comics were published about them.

She would have put American interests ahead of Russian ones.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    She supports NATO and the sanctions from the Crimea annexation.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Found it. At one pm eastern there'll be another hearing with the heads of CIA, NSA, FBI, and DNI.

Is Comey in there or did he get Christie'd?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Anti-ClimacusAnti-Climacus Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Clinton typifies the US "foreign policy establishment" that sees Russia as #1 enemy. In the 90s Russia was a mostly compliant near neo-colony of US capitalism and did not really rock the boat. Putin is very different than Yeltsin and pursues Russian interests even when those conflict strongly with US. See Syria.

I have heard Trump's vehement opposition to arming insurgents in Syria, which was largely a CIA project and that Obama went along with but not as much as they wanted and Clinton was more likely to go further with, is the reason why CIA hates Trump.

Anti-Climacus on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

Clinton typifies the US "foreign policy establishment" that sees Russia as #1 enemy. In the 90s Russia was a mostly compliant near neo-colony of US capitalism and did not really rock the boat. Putin is very different than Yeltsin and pursues Russian interests even when those conflict strongly with US. See Syria.

I have heard Trump's vehement opposition to arming insurgents in Syria, which was largely a CIA project and that Obama went along with but not as much as they wanted and Clinton was more likely to go further with, is the reason why CIA hates Trump.

I think Trump's foreign policy is enough for anybody working in intelligence to be shitting their pants right now.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Is Comey in there or did he get Christie'd?

Yep. He's still the FBI head.

• Options

does pursuing Russian interests include conquering their neighbors and annexing their land?

• Options
    edited January 2017

does pursuing Russian interests include conquering their neighbors and annexing their land?

I think that is a kind of one-sided framing (I am not sure Russia has "conquered " anyone recently, but they have annexed Crimea), but I mean, yeah, look at a map. Saying nothing else about it, is it in Russia's interests to have warm sea ports and dominate the Black Sea? Pretty obviously.

If Kissinger is advising Trump to let Russia keep Crimea, and EU sanctions will be lifted after the French election , I think realistic people should realise it will remain a part of Russia, although Neo-Nazis in Ukraine (such as previously discussed fellow hacker) want to fight to the death to keep Donetsk and Lugansk. I think Putin is as likely to want to keep a war happening there as he is to actually want to annex those provinces, if he sees Ukraine as unlikely to join NATO while a civil war is happening in their territory, but who knows.

Anti-Climacus on
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    ... I am not sure Russia has "conquered " anyone recently, but they have annexed Crimea...
    Yes, annexation follows conquest. Ukraine was certainly not asked nicely.

• Options

I think that is a kind of one-sided framing (I am not sure Russia has "conquered " anyone recently, but they have annexed Crimea), but I mean, yeah, look at a map. Saying nothing else about it, is it in Russia's interests to have warm sea ports and dominate the Black Sea? Pretty obviously.

If Kissinger is advising Trump to let Russia keep Crimea, and EU sanctions will be lifted after the French election , I think realistic people should realise it will remain a part of Russia, although Neo-Nazis in Ukraine (such as previously discussed fellow hacker) want to fight to the death to keep Donetsk and Lugansk. I think Putin is as likely to want to keep a war happening there as he is to actually want to annex those provinces, if he sees Ukraine as unlikely to join NATO while a civil war is happening in their territory, but who knows.

So you support Russia formenting civil war in democracies without any repercussions

do you think the Iron Curtain era was great for Eastern Europe too?

• Options
    Of course this begs the question why it should be in Trump's or the US's best interests to serve Russia's interests in the first place

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    A. The subject of this thread is not "the intentions of other posts". Unless this guy is Vladimir Putin it's not particularly relevant that you think he's an astroturfer or whatever. Give it a fucking rest with the hot takes, none of you actually have any of the information that allows us to determine that.
    B. At the point at which even the Trump administration admits that the hacks are the result of Russian state actors, I am officially declaring that fact the First Principle of this thread and anyone still interested in debating the most basic facts involved can go to fucking Quora with all the other lunatics.

tldr: neither the identity or TRUE MOTIVES of other posters nor the fact that the hacks were down to Russian state actors are up for debate in this thread.
    Has the Trump administration actually directly stated that they believe Russia specifically committed the DNC and/or Podesta hack?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNa2B5zHfbQ

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Yeltsin isn't Putin. There's a wide gap between the sort of failing democracy of Yeltsin and the strongman fascism of Putin.

• Options
    edited January 2017

So you support Russia formenting civil war in democracies without any repercussions

When did I say anything supportive about Russia's foreign policy? See, believe it or not I am not a Russian agent, even if Americans assume anyone who disagrees with their intelligence agencies must be. I am being alternately accused of being a Soviet agent and a Nazi "fanboy" which is at least funny.

Regarding Iron Curtain, it is at least interesting to consider an alternate history in which the Communist parties in France and Italy won elections after World War II, which came close to happening, which could have ultimately meant no "curtain" at all. But in real terms plenty of people in eastern Europe say life was better under communism, in some countries majorities. I wasn't there, not my call to make.

Anti-Climacus on
  • Options

When did I say anything supportive about Russia's foreign policy? See, believe it or not I am not a Russian agent, even if Americans agents sumer anyone who disagrees with their intelligence agencies must be.

Regarding Iron Curtain, it is at least interesting to

Russia annexing Crimea isn't part of their foreign policy?

Now you're just talking nonsense

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    This thread is being discreetly executed and replaced by a general Russia thread.

*bang*

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Thread unceremoniously assassinated, like it was a political enemy to Putin.

605607879_UpDhu-2100x20000.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.