As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Watch [MOVIES], In A Theater!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I saw most of it on a plane and thought "this is perfectly nice and I'm never going to go and find it to see what happens in the rest of it.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So I'm watching Hellraiser for the first time right now.

My constant expression so far has been something akin to:

latest?cb=20121207210458

We have such sights to show you...

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I saw it after a few too many beers but after something else so it was my first horror movie after seeing horrors for real

Still I find it sad a lot of the stuff I have seen make horror movies seem silly and that's sad

• Options
    I'm watching The Lost World and it's a good thing that Jeff Goldblum never gets attacked by the type of Raptors that kill all the unnamed characters and instead only ever encounters the lesser known breed of Fuck Around Raptors.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The Lost World was fine, gymnastics aside

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    why isn't singin in the rain on any streaming services?

i haven't seen it and i want to rectify this.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Alternatively, the Lost World is a nonsensical turdball bedazzled by a single gem that is a raptor getting triple salchowed through a wall

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I watched Battleship at the weekend and holy shit what a pile of jingoistic, militaristic, poorly thought out, stupid shit that glorified recruitment poster is.

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Alternatively, the Lost World is a nonsensical turdball bedazzled by a single gem that is a raptor getting triple salchowed through a wall

I posited an alternative universe where she says "hey you!" and in stead of looking at her for five seconds the raptor just pounces and knocks her straight off the beam to her death. Jeff Goldblum spends the rest of the movie dragging her almost-corpse around while Julianne Moore tries to teach him the importance of letting go.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    I watched Battleship at the weekend and holy shit what a pile of jingoistic, militaristic, poorly thought out, stupid shit that glorified recruitment poster is.

I saw parts of it a year or two ago and thought wow this is silly

• Options
    The bit where the Rex pushes the trailer over the cliff and Julianne Moore is on the cracking glass is a good scene though.

• Options
    The bit where the Rex pushes the trailer over the cliff and Julianne Moore is on the cracking glass is a good scene though.

The end of that kind of pales now that we've seen a similar stunt done live in TDKR.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Richard Schiff in the Lost World is cinemas most mistreated character, the movie hates him, every character is sarcastic towards his technical expertise up until he dies a hero, saving them all. Richard Schiff dies screaming and alone, dismembered by huge lizards and nobody even cares

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Richard Schiff in the Lost World is cinemas most mistreated character, the movie hates him, every character is sarcastic towards his technical expertise up until he dies a hero, saving them all. Richard Schiff dies screaming and alone, dismembered by huge lizards and nobody even cares

Oh jeez, I just looked up that bit and, uh... yeah, I forgot how horribly the dude goes out.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Just think of it as an adaptation of The First Contact War from Mass Effect.

Well, against Quarians instead of Turians.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    there is one good scene in Battleship and its when a man breaks into a restaurant to steal a burrito

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I saw it after a few too many beers but after something else so it was my first horror movie after seeing horrors for real

Still I find it sad a lot of the stuff I have seen make horror movies seem silly and that's sad

Circling back to that clip from The Final Destination, yeah. "Horror" is ... fucking stupid. One of my friends keeps telling me that he heard from his other friends that The Neon Demon is one of the best horror movies to come out in forever and I'm like "tell those fuckers to watch Under the Skin."

Horror movies are generally anything but horrific. They might be thrillers with a lot of gore. They might be (unintentional) comedies with a bunch of pretty teens getting splattered. Scary? Sometimes. But horrific? Nah, not really. The best examples of actual horror I've seen recently are Under the Skin, Green Room, and the opening scenes of The Witch (which I need to get around to seeing the rest of). Green Room probably falls under "thriller with gore" more than horror, but that movie got to me. That's an actual horrific situation that goes beyond merely being thrilling. Nightmare scenarios where the universe gives no fucks about your plight? That truly scares me. And Green Room fits that bill pretty perfectly.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »

Nothing at all, no narrative, deserves to be as shit as that movie.

Like, the aliens in it suck. They are useless. They've got badass power armour and one of them couldn't kill like, a single sailor armed with a gun he was immune to. Fucking Jesus I hate that. What the alien spaceships cannot shoot down missiles? Cannot destroy a single human destroyer without getting mangled? Losers.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

The end of that kind of pales now that we've seen a similar stunt done live in TDKR.

Which part is this?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Horror is for me like some parts of Apocalypse Now or something fucked up like Irreversible.

Which is to say stuff I have no interest in ever seing again.

honovere on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »

Which part is this?
    The insane Bane Plane Crane Game Heist

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    FAQ wrote: »

Which part is this?
    The insane Bane Plane Crane Game Heist

tumblr_nxmzb38QF61u5sf4oo4_400.jpg

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'm watching The Lost World and it's a good thing that Jeff Goldblum never gets attacked by the type of Raptors that kill all the unnamed characters and instead only ever encounters the lesser known breed of Fuck Around Raptors.

I always figured those raptors were so full from eating all the unnamed characters that they were just playing with whatever was left on the plate.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Pete Postlethwaite's character even softly makes fun of his death ten minutes after it happens.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Nothing at all, no narrative, deserves to be as shit as that movie.

Like, the aliens in it suck. They are useless. They've got badass power armour and one of them couldn't kill like, a single sailor armed with a gun he was immune to. Fucking Jesus I hate that. What the alien spaceships cannot shoot down missiles? Cannot destroy a single human destroyer without getting mangled? Losers.
    Like I said, Quarians.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The Lost World was my very first experience with "the book is different from the movie."

Although I honestly can't remember now which I liked better back when I was 11 or 12.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    The Lost World was my very first experience with "the book is different from the movie."

Although I honestly can't remember now which I liked better back when I was 12.

The book was equally as bad, although it was completely different from the movie. Like I don't think Malcolm had a kid at all in the book and I don't recall the dinosaurs making it to the mainland.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I hate the RV scene

It's pointless

The RV could have been dropped once they're all on the rope and nothing would be lost

Because that's what happens anyways and they're all fine

It's several "thrilling" minutes of wasting your time and then smacking you in the mouth at the end of it

And yes it means Toby dies for nothing

• Options
    One of the things that strikes me about it is the fact that none of them are likely to be strong enough to pull themselves up the rope anyway.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Ladai wrote: »

Although I honestly can't remember now which I liked better back when I was 12.

The book was equally as bad, although it was completely different from the movie. Like I don't think Malcolm had a kid at all in the book and I don't recall the dinosaurs making it to the mainland.

I remember liking the book well enough when I was 11, but yeah.

I remember sitting in the theater and thinking "Wait what he has a kid now?"

I also remember really liking the scene where T-Rex takes San Diego.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    One of the things that strikes me about it is the fact that none of them are likely to be strong enough to pull themselves up the rope anyway.

Well sure, no one can climb a rope. It's physically impossible!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I can imagine an action scene where I had to climb a rope

I get up maybe a few feet and then I'm like "fuckin' hell man" and just drop to my death

• Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Circling back to that clip from The Final Destination, yeah. "Horror" is ... fucking stupid. One of my friends keeps telling me that he heard from his other friends that The Neon Demon is one of the best horror movies to come out in forever and I'm like "tell those fuckers to watch Under the Skin."

Horror movies are generally anything but horrific. They might be thrillers with a lot of gore. They might be (unintentional) comedies with a bunch of pretty teens getting splattered. Scary? Sometimes. But horrific? Nah, not really. The best examples of actual horror I've seen recently are Under the Skin, Green Room, and the opening scenes of The Witch (which I need to get around to seeing the rest of). Green Room probably falls under "thriller with gore" more than horror, but that movie got to me. That's an actual horrific situation that goes beyond merely being thrilling. Nightmare scenarios where the universe gives no fucks about your plight? That truly scares me. And Green Room fits that bill pretty perfectly.

Um going to war for real is well one line told to me by my SGT
    If it doesn't make the highlight reel it sure will make a great horror movie

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I can imagine an action scene where I had to climb a rope

I get up maybe a few feet and then I'm like "fuckin' hell man" and just drop to my death

You make it further than me.

• Options

I can't tell if you're being snarky or what but climbing a rope is fucking difficult.

• Options

I can't tell if you're being snarky or what but climbing a rope is fucking difficult.

It was a Simpsons joke.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Oh, I don't know that one.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I remember enjoying The Lost World the book a lot more than the movie, and I was in college then. But I fucking hate that movie. Spielberg is super hit or miss for me. I love Always, but I can't fucking stand Hook. I think A.I. is more good than bad, but I think Minority Report is terrible all around. Saving Private Ryan is completely overrated to me, but Munich was great.

I'm looking forward to see what he does with Ready Player One because that needs a major polish. It was a fun read, but it's by no means an amazing story.

• Options
    Oh, I don't know that one.

It's from slightly past the "good years" but a really good episode nonetheless. "Skinner's Sense of Snow". Springfield gets a freak snowstorm and a bunch of kids get trapped in the school and revolt against Skinner.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I thought I knew that from somewhere!

At this point any time I think I recognize something from somewhere I should really just assume it's from The Simpsons

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.