As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Someone talk me out of buying a Honda Beat from our favorite Japanese import site.

A 25 year old 660cc engine that came with 64hp new, no matter how light the car, is absolutely going to scream at you if you try to go highway speeds.

You should probably buy it anyway.

Number One Tricky
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I'd rather have the kei van because I'm a dork

Mortal Sky wrote: »

Daihatsu Midget II. Then you can tell people you have a truck, but never have to help anyone move anything ever.

Except maybe a loaf of bread.

Number One Tricky
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

Daihatsu Midget II. Then you can tell people you have a truck, but never have to help anyone move anything ever.

Except maybe a loaf of bread.

Never underestimate just how high you can stack things in the back of a pickup. [picture evidence lost]

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular

I thought this too until I was talking to a few guys in the Figaro club and they explained the folly of trying to use a vehicle designed for the city for country driving. See aforementioned screaming engines at speed.

Though we know this thread cares not for such things ;)

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I thought this too until I was talking to a few guys in the Figaro club and they explained the folly of trying to use a vehicle designed for the city for country driving. See aforementioned screaming engines at speed.

Which is why you throw the MA10ET in the trash where it belongs and install something else. Like, say, perhaps the FWD version of the SR20DET from the Sunny?

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Someone talk me out of buying a Honda Beat from our favorite Japanese import site.

A 25 year old 660cc engine that came with 64hp new, no matter how light the car, is absolutely going to scream at you if you try to go highway speeds.

You should probably buy it anyway.

My 4B11T is already loud as fuck past 3500 rpm, so this would be nothing new to me.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular

This is where the Mitsubishi Delica Spacegear is a great idea. Still a small van, but not Kei small. Can handle the rural highways leading out to provincial campgrounds.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Decius wrote: »

This is where the Mitsubishi Delica Spacegear is a great idea. Still a small van, but not Kei small. Can handle the rural highways leading out to provincial campgrounds.

I sometimes forget that you lot over there think that a normal sized car for the rest of the world is small. A Delica can seat up to 7 adults! It's 4700 lbs and 16 & 1/2 feet of people mover!

edited January 2017

I sometimes forget that you lot over there think that a normal sized car for the rest of the world is small. A Delica can seat up to 7 adults! It's 4700 lbs and 16 & 1/2 feet of people mover!

Yeah actually this is my mistake. That is a big van. I thought it was smaller then that. Still, AWD and turbo diesel, with so much room for activities.

Now I'm trying to remember which small van it was that I saw on the JDM import sites that sits between the Delica and a Kei van.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I had to google that, the Delica is definitely analagous to a typical American minivan, though its truck-ish roots may actually lean it more toward the traditional full-size van.

Yeah actually this is my mistake. That is a big van. I thought it was smaller then that. Still, AWD and turbo diesel, with so much room for activities.

Now I'm trying to remember which small van it was that I saw on the JDM import sites that sits between the Delica and a Kei van.

If you search around you can get the 4x4 model with the 3.0 V6 out of the Mitsubishi GTO, it's just missing the twin turbos...

hint motherfucking hint

I kinda want an Isuzu VehiCROSS. Americans got them but we didn't.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    I kinda want an Isuzu VehiCROSS. Americans got them but we didn't.

I passed one of those on the highway today! It is goofy and I love it.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Looks like I've got a screw in my front right tire. I mean, there's clearly something in the tire, but I assume it's a screw because it's leaking very slowly and can hold air when I pump it up. Going to have to take it in and get it repaired, it's in the tread so it should be no problem to repair.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I wish this trailer park would spend some of our stupidly high for what it is actually paying for rent to salt their damned roads.

On the plus side I just now found out for the first time that I have a good instinctual memory of what to do in a skid.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Talking small vans, one of my friends used to own a Mitsubishi RVR, which was a lot of fun - believe it was the Evo 3 running gear with the boost wound up, rocked like a mofo in every direction but was quick in a straight line.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    Chevy's killing off the SS sedan by the end of the year.

But Kia finally unveiled the Stinger GT. 4 doors, RWD/ optional AWD, limited-slip diff, torque vectoring, 365hp 3.3L twin-turbo V6, 0-60mph in 5s.

jgeis wrote: »

Yeah, because we're killing the Commodore.

If you lot would buy enough of it to keep it viable in the US, that would basically be enough money by itself to keep Holden going for the next infinity, but nobody that can't afford a European car in the class wants big V8 sedans anymore. A family car that gets 15 mpg is never going to sell when we're all basically just waiting for gas prices to shoot back over $4/gallon in the US.

People in the US don't want to buy sedans period. We're all back to buying crossovers and SUVs again like they're going out of style.

People in the US don't want to buy sedans period. We're all back to buying crossovers and SUVs again like they're going out of style.

Same here, really.

edited January 2017
    A Ute gets my money. A sedan gets a meh.

What's this then, an HSV Avalanche XUV in Japan? I'm interested...

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky

That would have been a personal import. You could do the same, but I'd advise against it because Avalanches are shit.

That would have been a personal import. You could do the same, but I'd advise against it because Avalanches are shit.

I was more interested in the novelty of it anyway.

I'm really trying to decide between a manual AWD wagon, a different manual AWD wagon, or yet another different manual AWD wagon.

Number One Tricky

I'm really trying to decide between a manual AWD wagon, a different manual AWD wagon, or yet another different manual AWD wagon.

Just get the RS6 Avant.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    *looks up the Pontiac GTO then clicks the avalanche link*

those cars are not very good looking to me. I don't care how fast they go, they're definitely too ugly to drive.

Yh6tI4T.jpg

Yeah, because we're killing the Commodore.

If you lot would buy enough of it to keep it viable in the US, that would basically be enough money by itself to keep Holden going for the next infinity, but nobody that can't afford a European car in the class wants big V8 sedans anymore. A family car that gets 15 mpg is never going to sell when we're all basically just waiting for gas prices to shoot back over $4/gallon in the US.

They were never going to sell in the US. They only reason they were ever imported was to fill GM's contracted production quota at the Commodore plant. They were purposely not advertised.

Shame, because I ran one through an autocross course a few times, and it is an absolute riot.

I've always had a soft spot for the Jaguar X-Type wagon. We didn't get many AWD wagons in the US, and even though the X-Type is just a dolled up Ford Mondeo, it's still kind of appealing.

I've always had a soft spot for the Jaguar X-Type wagon. We didn't get many AWD wagons in the US, and even though the X-Type is just a dolled up Ford Mondeo, it's still kind of appealing.

Nothing wrong with a Mondeo. They might not be particularly sporty, but they were one of the better cars in that segment.

mRahmani wrote: »
    Weren't those horridly unreliable, even by Jag standards?

They had issues with low build quality, but the later model year the car, the better they are. If you get one of the last and it has a good service history and has had any recalls completed (I know there was a fault with the cruise control software that persisted for a while but they eventually fixed it with a recall), it should be a perfectly reliable car.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    The soon to be Mrs needs a new car, she's currently in a kia sportage, we're looking at leasing a new subaru crosstrek or buying a 2013, but were open to other suv/cross overs. It's just going to be something for her to cart the kiddo and herself around, I do all the long distance driving in my wrx.

So, good AWD recommendations?

Also looked at some of the older CRVs with AWD cause I can probably keep a b20 running with chewing gum and scrap aluminim cans.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The soon to be Mrs needs a new car, she's currently in a kia sportage, we're looking at leasing a new subaru crosstrek or buying a 2013, but were open to other suv/cross overs. It's just going to be something for her to cart the kiddo and herself around, I do all the long distance driving in my wrx.

Also looked at some of the older CRVs with AWD cause I can probably keep a b20 running with chewing gum and scrap aluminim cans.

CRVs and RAV4s, the Mazda MX5 is also a good option (I'm pretty sure it has an AWD option).

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    webguy20 wrote: »

CRVs and RAV4s, the Mazda MX5 is also a good option (I'm pretty sure it has an AWD option).

My sister has an AWD CX-5 and she loves it.

I don't like the CRV personally, but I drove a newer one (08 I think?), and it's just... good. It's boring and bland and whatever but it's just a really competent small SUV. It had lots of thoughtful details for boring everyday crap, like rear doors that open fully 90° to make getting kids in and out easier.

Basically what I'm saying is if she's in a Kia now and doesn't care about cars, it's a great choice and hard to beat.

While I'm opposed to 95% of SUVs on principle, my next car is probably going to be a early to mid model Forester. They're just so good. That or an Outback Sport.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Yea, we're torn on leasing vs buying to be honest. If we move in the next couple years being able to just turn one of the cars in would be easier than trying to ditch it on Craig's list.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, the CUV segment is rife with great options. Just set a price, try out things you like, and buy the one you want. The escape has a higher TCO than others in the segment, but I don't believe it's leaps and bounds worse. My wife has a '14 CRV, I had a '14 Forester and my friend has a '13 Forester. They're incredibly USEFUL vehicles, just not very exciting. Forester is sharper handling, but the interior isn't as well thought out as the Honda.

Polaris killed off Victory yesterday. Sudden news but frankly not terribly surprising given their recent downturn in profits, and a recent focus on Indian as their motorcycle prand of choice

I'm a 23-year old male with a college degree and decent cash flow - in theory, the perfect market for a bike - and frankly none of what Victory had on offer at the local dealership appealed to me save for the Octane (which I'd rather have in the Indian Scout format, frankly). Most of what was on the showroom floor was too overstyled in a mid-2000s Orange County Choppers sorta way, with minimal to no response in their product line to current market trends like flat track or scrambler trims. The ones that weren't overstyled were in sorta drab colors for that Sons of Anarchy murdered-out look that I'm not into. At least Polaris's Indian bikes come in bright, eye-catching colors and classically inspired styling.

Put me in on the boat that was rooting for Victory to revitalize itself as a Buell-esque American flat-track inspired sport/sport-touring company (see: the Project 156 hill climb bike), but isn't crying over the death Victory as it actually was. Moving sluggishly and refusing to diversify might work for the Harley MoCo mothership, but for a smaller company it just wasn't a viable path to survival. I just hope Polaris plays their cards right with Indian.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I'd really like it if standard bikes and/or cafe racers became more of a market segment. There must be a middle ground between Harleys and super sports bikes. You're saying Triumph in your head as you read this, and you're right, but how about more?

This discussion has been closed.