As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US and Russia] Talk about Trump connections to Russia here.

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited March 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is a thread about Russia.

You can discuss their hacking efforts, their policy, their Putin, their relations with the US, whatever foreign adventures they engage in, and so on.

Have fun!

Don't get gulag'd!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
So It Goes on

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Previous thread died of tragic accident.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

It fell onto that bullet.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Right outside Putin's house.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    ... I feel this may be a trap. >.>

Came back to work after Christmas break to find that cyber security at work are considering the same issues/vulnerabilities that were exploited (do I need to bother with "allegedly" here?).

Having glossed over some of the reading, my real takeaway was the personal/spearphishing matter. Yes, we need to lock down access, patch tech at properties, and generally enhance aspects of our online security, but if all it takes is one person clicking the wrong thing (out of ignorance, as a mistake, whatever) or maliciously doing the same, it's going to make my/our lives a lot harder.

I was at a cyber security conference in Vegas last year, and one of the speakers talked about the Russian Hacker angle that is being mentioned more often these days. The notion that Russia could be doing something akin to what they are accused of doing now was something the speaker called out, and while he noted that US actors on the Cyber Security/Warfare stage were among the best, he didn't put Russia that far behind, and the US's internet infrastructure was both vast and something of a glass house.

Bluntly, in retaliation (not under Trump, as someone will point out) the US could mess with things (and has done so in the past), but the US also has more to lose, with more online day by day.

Just a confluence of a variety of at work things that keep tying back to this issue. From his posts elsewhere, I'm under the impression there are a few posters who have a cyber security background that makes mine out to be the well meaning amateur I am (if that), and I look forward to hearing their thoughts on this matter, if they so choose to share.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    One of the risks that goes along with a (nominally) free and open society, is that stuff isn't locked down as much as it could/should be.
    Mind you, there's always going to be gaps, exploits, etc, because people are lazy and/or cheap, leave doors propped open and passwords written down, etc etc. But culture (and security culture) plays a factor.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Polonium, you just can't avoid it in a modern society. Unfortunate but inevitable.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    One of the risks that goes along with a (nominally) free and open society, is that stuff isn't locked down as much as it could/should be.
    Mind you, there's always going to be gaps, exploits, etc, because people are lazy and/or cheap, leave doors propped open and passwords written down, etc etc. But culture (and security culture) plays a factor.

yeah but most security measures make sure that such a breach would result in maybe an afternoon of downtime for the individual employee. The real danger is when an Admin's account is compromised, then you can do some real damage.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Russia really has found a winning formula here, that we're gonna see a lot more of in the future! It worked like a charm in the US and is a pretty decent destabilizer in Europe too, though not as "insta-win" as it was in the US. Those dastardly hackers could be anyone, you just can't go around flinging international accusations due to some basement nerd's teenage pranks! :)
    And sponsoring and giving support to far-right extremist parties is more of a slow burn here in Europe, but the wind is already blowing that way so you can't just rush these things! :mrgreen:

Lets have some background, shall we?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOY4Ka-GBus

Deniability and intermediaries is key to letting this shit go on. And it will. All the while every far right-wing fuck over here is cheering, Putin is the last great white hope after all.

But remember! You can't just miss out on setting the boot down on your neighbors or their citizens when opportunity is tickling your tongue, subterfuge or not. Noone was gonna miss these losers for example: :wink:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eston_Kohver
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadiya_Savchenko
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleg_Sentsov

Panda4You on
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Its amazing to me that a huge majority of security issues can be fixed with simple and effective password change policy. Yet, a majority of the businesses I've worked with have a ludicrisly lax policy.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I think the 2016 election marks the death of lots of political work being done via email

• Options
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Its amazing to me that a huge majority of security issues can be fixed with simple and effective password change policy. Yet, a majority of the businesses I've worked with have a ludicrisly lax policy.

That's because such policies, though effective, are a pain in the ass to the end users, some of whom may have enough power in the corporate structure to say "No, we're not doing that." And those without such power will do the door-propping thing or its equivalent.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    There will be no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe in a Trump administration.

moniker on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

The trick is to keep annexing parts of Eastern Europe until Europe itself ceases to exist.

• Options
    Assange's AMA said damn near nothing huh

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Comey just said there was successful penetration of GOP groups/campaigns and on some RNC domains and that he was not aware of any successful cyber penetrations of GOP presidential campaigns.

He also said in response to a question about investigations into Trump's ties and his advisers' ties with Russia, "I would never comment on investigations whether open or not in a public forum." *Eyetwitch.*

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Comey just said there was successful penetration of GOP groups/campaigns and on some RNC domains and that he was not aware of any successful cyber penetrations of GOP presidential campaigns.

He also said in response to a question about investigations into Trump's ties and his advisers' ties with Russia, "I would never comment on investigations whether open or not in a public forum." *Eyetwitch.*

my eyes jsut rolled out of my head

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

How is that not cut and dried perjury?

(Not that I would even want him charged with it, just, come on man. You literally just did. Choose your words better: "Will never comment")

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options

It fed his endlessly needy ego, and that's what matters.

• Options

How is that not cut and dried perjury?

(Not that I would even want him charged with it, just, come on man. You literally just did. Choose your words better: "Will never comment")
    Maybe in some librul reality. smug.gif I'm glad we're not living in that wasteland!
    It fed his endlessly needy ego, and that's what matters.
    Much like Trump... There's actually a lot of similarities there! Self-importance, sexually abusing women, etc. I'm sure they'd go great together! :)

Borrowed from elsewhere:
    Brainleech wrote: »

• Options
    Looks like we lost our neighborhood Putin puppet

so sad

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Out in the UNSC, US and Russian diplomats are exchanging words.
    U.S. Ambassador Samantha Power has lashed out at Russia in the U.N. Security Council for invading and annexing parts of Ukraine and carrying out "a merciless military assault" in Syria.

Russia's U.N. Ambassador Vitaly Churkin shot back, accusing the Obama administration of "desperately" looking for scapegoats for its failures in Iraq, Syria and Libya.

And I believe that was Power's last outing.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    CNN is now 'breaking' a story that Russians made/are making an effort to compromise Trump.

Edit: Well, that the IC presented a report to Trump about Russian attempts to compromise him.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Is this when the thing crashes and burns? A week before inauguration?

... Naah. Russia is best friend, very smart. CNN picking on Russia! Bad ratings! Sad!

Just a guess at the tweet coming in 3... 2....

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Elki wrote: »
    CNN is now 'breaking' a story that Russians made/are making an effort to compromise Trump.

Edit: Well, that the IC presented a report to Trump about Russian attempts to compromise him.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politics/donald-trump-intelligence-report-russia/index.html
    Classified documents presented last week to President Obama and President-elect Trump included allegations that Russian operatives claim to have compromising personal and financial information about Mr. Trump, multiple US officials with direct knowledge of the briefings tell CNN.

The allegations were presented in a two-page synopsis that was appended to a report on Russian interference in the 2016 election. The allegations came, in part, from memos compiled by a former British intelligence operative, whose past work US intelligence officials consider credible. The FBI is investigating the credibility and accuracy of these allegations, which are based primarily on information from Russian sources, but has not confirmed many essential details in the memos about Mr. Trump.
    The two-page synopsis also included allegations that there was a continuing exchange of information during the campaign between Trump surrogates and intermediaries for the Russian government, according to two national security officials.
    CNN has reviewed a 35-page compilation of the memos, from which the two-page synopsis was drawn. The memos originated as opposition research, first commissioned by anti-Trump Republicans, and later by Democrats. At this point, CNN is not reporting on details of the memos, as it has not independently corroborated the specific allegations. But, in preparing this story, CNN has spoken to multiple high ranking intelligence, administration, congressional and law enforcement officials, as well as foreign officials and others in the private sector with direct knowledge of the memos.

Some of the memos were circulating as far back as last summer. What has changed since then is that US intelligence agencies have now checked out the former British intelligence operative and his vast network throughout Europe and find him and his sources to be credible enough to include some of the information in the presentations to the President and President-elect a few days ago.
    CNN has also learned that on December 9, Senator John McCain gave a full copy of the memos -- dated from June through December, 2016 -- to FBI Director James Comey. McCain became aware of the memos from a former British diplomat who had been posted in Moscow. But the FBI had already been given a set of the memos compiled up to August 2016, when the former MI6 agent presented them to an FBI official in Rome, according to national security officials.

The raw memos on which the synopsis is based were prepared by the former MI6 agent, who was posted in Russia in the 1990s and now runs a private intelligence gathering firm. His investigations related to Mr. Trump were initially funded by groups and donors supporting Republican opponents of Mr. Trump during the GOP primaries, multiple sources confirmed to CNN. Those sources also said that once Mr. Trump became the nominee, further investigation was funded by groups and donors supporting Hillary Clinton.
    Well, that is all very convoluted and vague as to the exact allegations.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this could be bad

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    It's amazing how careful everybody is to get the story right when it's Trump.

• Options

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politics/donald-trump-intelligence-report-russia/index.html
    Classified documents presented last week to President Obama and President-elect Trump included allegations that Russian operatives claim to have compromising personal and financial information about Mr. Trump, multiple US officials with direct knowledge of the briefings tell CNN.

The allegations were presented in a two-page synopsis that was appended to a report on Russian interference in the 2016 election. The allegations came, in part, from memos compiled by a former British intelligence operative, whose past work US intelligence officials consider credible. The FBI is investigating the credibility and accuracy of these allegations, which are based primarily on information from Russian sources, but has not confirmed many essential details in the memos about Mr. Trump.
    The two-page synopsis also included allegations that there was a continuing exchange of information during the campaign between Trump surrogates and intermediaries for the Russian government, according to two national security officials.
    CNN has reviewed a 35-page compilation of the memos, from which the two-page synopsis was drawn. The memos originated as opposition research, first commissioned by anti-Trump Republicans, and later by Democrats. At this point, CNN is not reporting on details of the memos, as it has not independently corroborated the specific allegations. But, in preparing this story, CNN has spoken to multiple high ranking intelligence, administration, congressional and law enforcement officials, as well as foreign officials and others in the private sector with direct knowledge of the memos.

Some of the memos were circulating as far back as last summer. What has changed since then is that US intelligence agencies have now checked out the former British intelligence operative and his vast network throughout Europe and find him and his sources to be credible enough to include some of the information in the presentations to the President and President-elect a few days ago.
    CNN has also learned that on December 9, Senator John McCain gave a full copy of the memos -- dated from June through December, 2016 -- to FBI Director James Comey. McCain became aware of the memos from a former British diplomat who had been posted in Moscow. But the FBI had already been given a set of the memos compiled up to August 2016, when the former MI6 agent presented them to an FBI official in Rome, according to national security officials.

The raw memos on which the synopsis is based were prepared by the former MI6 agent, who was posted in Russia in the 1990s and now runs a private intelligence gathering firm. His investigations related to Mr. Trump were initially funded by groups and donors supporting Republican opponents of Mr. Trump during the GOP primaries, multiple sources confirmed to CNN. Those sources also said that once Mr. Trump became the nominee, further investigation was funded by groups and donors supporting Hillary Clinton.

I might be jumping to conclusions, but it kinda sounds like this is the same source from David Corn's October piece.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yeah, this could be bad

Why, because we have someone compromised by the Russian government as our president? What the fuck could go wrong there?

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    ... I feel this may be a trap. >.>

Came back to work after Christmas break to find that cyber security at work are considering the same issues/vulnerabilities that were exploited (do I need to bother with "allegedly" here?).

Having glossed over some of the reading, my real takeaway was the personal/spearphishing matter. Yes, we need to lock down access, patch tech at properties, and generally enhance aspects of our online security, but if all it takes is one person clicking the wrong thing (out of ignorance, as a mistake, whatever) or maliciously doing the same, it's going to make my/our lives a lot harder.

I was at a cyber security conference in Vegas last year, and one of the speakers talked about the Russian Hacker angle that is being mentioned more often these days. The notion that Russia could be doing something akin to what they are accused of doing now was something the speaker called out, and while he noted that US actors on the Cyber Security/Warfare stage were among the best, he didn't put Russia that far behind, and the US's internet infrastructure was both vast and something of a glass house.

Bluntly, in retaliation (not under Trump, as someone will point out) the US could mess with things (and has done so in the past), but the US also has more to lose, with more online day by day.

Just a confluence of a variety of at work things that keep tying back to this issue. From his posts elsewhere, I'm under the impression there are a few posters who have a cyber security background that makes mine out to be the well meaning amateur I am (if that), and I look forward to hearing their thoughts on this matter, if they so choose to share.

Which talk @Forar ?

• Options
    It's amazing how careful everybody is to get the story right when it's Trump.

Thank God an appointed official didn't write a suggestive and vague letter about the allegations a week before the election or it could have affected the election based on what could turn out to be nothing.

• Options
    edited January 2017

I might be jumping to conclusions, but it kinda sounds like this is the same source from David Corn's October piece.

Oh, I guess they mention MJ in the piece itself, but not the source.
    Some of the allegations were first reported publicly in Mother Jones one week before the election.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

The trick is to keep annexing parts of Eastern Europe until Europe itself ceases to exist.

I'd like to reiterate that this is basically the blueprint they've been following. It's been right there, this whole time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics
    • The United Kingdom should be cut off from Europe.[1]
    • Ukraine should be annexed by Russia because "“Ukraine as a state has no geopolitical meaning, no particular cultural import or universal significance, no geographic uniqueness, no ethnic exclusiveness, its certain territorial ambitions represents an enormous danger for all of Eurasia and, without resolving the Ukrainian problem, it is in general senseless to speak about continental politics". Ukraine should not be allowed to remain independent, unless it is cordon sanitaire, which would be inadmissible.[1]
    • In Asia:

China, which represents a danger to Russia, "must, to the maximum degree possible, be dismantled". Dugin suggests that Russia start by taking Tibet-Xinjiang-Mongolia-Manchuria as a security belt.[2] Russia should offer China help "in a southern direction – Indochina (except Vietnam), the Philippines, Indonesia, Australia" as geopolitical compensation.[1]
      Russia should manipulate Japanese politics by offering the Kuril Islands to Japan and provoking anti-Americanism.[1]
      Mongolia should be absorbed into Eurasia-Russia.[1]

The book emphasizes that Russia must spread Anti-Americanism everywhere: "the main 'scapegoat' will be precisely the U.S."

In the United States:

Russia should use its special forces within the borders of the United States to fuel instability and separatism, for instance, provoke "Afro-American racists". Russia should "introduce geopolitical disorder into internal American activity, encouraging all kinds of separatism and ethnic, social and racial conflicts, actively supporting all dissident movements – extremist, racist, and sectarian groups, thus destabilizing internal political processes in the U.S. It would also make sense simultaneously to support isolationist tendencies in American politics."[1]

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Spoit wrote: »

I'd like to reiterate that this is basically the blueprint they've been following. It's been right there, this whole time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics
    • Ukraine should be annexed by Russia because "“Ukraine as a state has no geopolitical meaning, no particular cultural import or universal significance, no geographic uniqueness, no ethnic exclusiveness, its certain territorial ambitions represents an enormous danger for all of Eurasia and, without resolving the Ukrainian problem, it is in general senseless to speak about continental politics". Ukraine should not be allowed to remain independent, unless it is cordon sanitaire, which would be inadmissible.[1]
    • In Asia:

China, which represents a danger to Russia, "must, to the maximum degree possible, be dismantled". Dugin suggests that Russia start by taking Tibet-Xinjiang-Mongolia-Manchuria as a security belt.[2] Russia should offer China help "in a southern direction – Indochina (except Vietnam), the Philippines, Indonesia, Australia" as geopolitical compensation.[1]
      Russia should manipulate Japanese politics by offering the Kuril Islands to Japan and provoking anti-Americanism.[1]

The book emphasizes that Russia must spread Anti-Americanism everywhere: "the main 'scapegoat' will be precisely the U.S."

In the United States:

Russia should use its special forces within the borders of the United States to fuel instability and separatism, for instance, provoke "Afro-American racists". Russia should "introduce geopolitical disorder into internal American activity, encouraging all kinds of separatism and ethnic, social and racial conflicts, actively supporting all dissident movements – extremist, racist, and sectarian groups, thus destabilizing internal political processes in the U.S. It would also make sense simultaneously to support isolationist tendencies in American politics."[1]

Well, shit.

This plan seems to be going well. That is pretty bad.

Sleep on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Some of the allegations were first reported publicly in Mother Jones one week before the election.

I wanna see.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

• In Asia:

In the United States:

Fuck. If Russia starts messing in Tibet and Xinjiang they are going to have their own illegal immigration issues - about 2 and a half million han chinese will be moving to Moscow.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »

• In Asia:

In the United States:

Well, shit.

This plan seems to be going well. That is pretty bad.

Germany, Turkey, and Iran to a lesser degree (Thanks Obama!) are all coming along as well.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Buzzfeed has the memos and posted them on their website:
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/kenbensinger/these-reports-allege-trump-has-deep-ties-to-russia
    These Reports Allege Trump Has Deep Ties To Russia
    A dossier, compiled by a person who has claimed to be a former British intelligence official, allege Russia has compromising information on Trump. The allegations are unverified, and the report contains errors.

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.