As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

South 2017 Schedule!

2»

• StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    japester wrote: »
    I will be surprised if there is an additional cover. One of the great things about Pax is that once you have your badge, anything to do inside is free.

Yeah, but a cursory glance at the True Dungeon web site makes me think this compares to typical PAX fare like a Disney ride compares to a carnival booth. It sounds like a massive experience. Of course, they are already making money hand over fist by selling tokens, so $50+ on top of that seems a bit steep. But I don't begrudge them an extra fee if this is as elaborate as it claims to be. (And this comes from someone who has staffed some of the biggest PAX booths in prior years--I'm not dissing exhibitors. But the most we generally do is set up some demo units for people to try. We don't design entire dungeons. LOL)

Yea I'm looking at buying between 3-6 token packs myself lol I love collectible coins.

• ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular
    japester wrote: »
    I will be surprised if there is an additional cover. One of the great things about Pax is that once you have your badge, anything to do inside is free.

Yeah, but a cursory glance at the True Dungeon web site makes me think this compares to typical PAX fare like a Disney ride compares to a carnival booth. It sounds like a massive experience. Of course, they are already making money hand over fist by selling tokens, so $50+ on top of that seems a bit steep. But I don't begrudge them an extra fee if this is as elaborate as it claims to be. (And this comes from someone who has staffed some of the biggest PAX booths in prior years--I'm not dissing exhibitors. But the most we generally do is set up some demo units for people to try. We don't design entire dungeons. LOL)

This certainly seems like something that goes above and beyond the normal convention add-on. Even some of the bigger outside events at SDCC are less involved than this looks (of course those are backed by marketing budgets).
    Seems worth the price of admission - on top of the admission you already paid.

B2YfFSb.png
  • Christopher HuffChristopher Huff Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    From looking at the True Dungeon FAQ, it seems like getting tickets to it (the FAQ says they are $54, but does not mention PAX so who knows?) might be a challenge. So if you want to do it, I'd follow them on so you have a better chance of knowing when they are for sale. Also, if you're looking to do this, I'd read up. There are all these treasure token (which you can spend real money on) and a solid aftermarket for them.

Considering how I paid $95.87 in taxes alone just from booking my hotel, it really doesn't give me too much of that "sticker shock" feeling. But we'll see when the final announcement comes along...

gVqmaCN.png
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited January 2017
    Re: True Dungeon at South. As you know it is important to us that buying a badge gets you access to as much of the show as possible. That continues to be a core belief of the show. Some things like sealed draft tournaments necessitate an extra fee for the product you get (and then keep) to play with during the tournament. We have worked with True Dungeon to bring you an experience that will be free with a PAX badge. It won't be the exact same experience they sell tickets for at other shows, but it should be a lot of fun. I at least am looking forward to checking it out.

Of course, being free and awesome (I have heard) I imagine the lines will be pretty long. Free, Awesome and no line, you get to choose 2. Bring a game to amuse yourself in line. Sorry :-).

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    Re: True Dungeon at South. As you know it is important to us that buying a badge gets you access to as much of the show as possible. That continues to be a core belief of the show. Some things like sealed draft tournaments necessitate an extra fee for the product you get (and then keep) to play with during the tournament. We have worked with True Dungeon to bring you an experience that will be free with a PAX badge. It won't be the exact same experience they sell tickets for at other shows, but it should be a lot of fun. I at least am looking forward to checking it out.

Of course, being free and awesome (I have heard) I imagine the lines will be pretty long. Free, Awesome and no line, you get to choose 2. Bring a game to amuse yourself in line. Sorry :-).

Thank your for clearing that up for us. Sounds like a cool experience a shame I won't be able to see it as I can't make it to South.

• japesterjapester Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info, Beker. Wow. That will likely be the longest line of the show all weekend long. Any details on whether they will limit how many times people can go? Like once per day?

• shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    It would be awesome if True Dungeon exited into the Nintendo Switch line. I mean, it's probably going to be the exact same line anyways, right?

khd33hubozxv.png
    shimwood wrote: »
    It would be awesome if True Dungeon exited into the Nintendo Switch line. I mean, it's probably going to be the exact same line anyways, right?

Could you imagine the madness if that were the case? A line that was so long that it had to be split among 3 levels. If I ever see such a line, I have only one word: NOPE! xD

Beker wrote: »

*Cheers loudly in excitement*

gVqmaCN.png
    shimwood wrote: »

Now the question is which insane line to I rush to first thing on friday the switch line or TD most likely TD :) and man I hope they hooe they have those equipment tokens lol I want to earn loot darnit :)

• GrayganGraygan Registered User new member
    For those of you who are wondering about True Dungeon and whether it's worth it or not...

I'm one of those GenCon attendees. Been going for 20 years now. Been doing True Dungeon since its second year. Never been to PAX, though we may go next year if True Dungeon decides to make a second home there.

It's TOTALLY worth every dollar if you can afford it. Every year has been getting better and better. It's always fun and always worth it.

The tokens make it so that you can go through the tougher version... same dungeon run, just everything is tougher to beat. You do NOT need to spend a fortune on tokens to have fun. My group of friends went through on what we called a "Dagger Run" where we did the dungeon with nothing but dagger tokens as our weapons(club for the cleric). No other equipment. We had a blast. We've also run through with just the small stack of tokens you get with the ticket purchase. It was also fun and doable.

That said... the tokens are a collectors dream. They are fun, useful, and there is most definitely an aftermarket for them. There are a number of people who make a good amount of money dealing in tokens. You can find them on the true dungeon forums if you're interested.

As for the finances of True Dungeon... **shrug** I doubt it makes quite as much money as people think. The cost to hire out a 10k+ square foot space near a major convention center is insane... plus the convention owners need their piece of the pie as well. Then, of course, there's the multiple trucks it takes to transport the equipment across the country and the costs of peoples salary(even with a lot of volunteers), insurance, and God only knows what else.

$54 is totally worth it. In fact, $216 each for me and my wife is totally worth it... 4 runs. Once for each puzzle version of the two dungeons and once for each combat version of the two dungeons.

After True Dungeon, there are hundreds of things to do at any decent Con... RPG gaming, miniatures, war-gaming, workshops, drinking, partying, relaxing. TD is the main reason we still go to cons, but not the only one, by far.

So... here's hoping your little taste of True Dungeon this year turns out to be the entree to having them come every year. It'll give us a new Con to go to.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Luckily we don't have to guess because it's been confirmed that they won't be charging any extra to participate (just need your pax badge).

Yep... from what little I know, it's just a taste for you guys... sort of the first taste of some good stuff... it's one of the most addictive games I've ever played.

zerzhul wrote: »
    Luckily we don't have to guess because it's been confirmed that they won't be charging any extra to participate (just need your pax badge).

Though its sadly also a trimmed down version to account for that. Still its one of my top 3 things I'm excited for this year :)

StinkyTurd wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »

Though its sadly also a trimmed down version to account for that. Still its one of my top 3 things I'm excited for this year :)

Trimmed down, yes... but also the more fun parts of one of the previous runs... probably one of last years runs from GenCon. Both were a lot of fun. Y'all should have a blast, especially since it's apparently free for you this year. Hope more people get hooked like we have.

Normally it's about 1 hour, 45 minutes to go through a whole run... plus the 15 minute prep time. It's a long event each run... but totally worth it. It doesn't feel like 2 hours. It goes by very fast. I don't know how long this shorter version will be for you guys. Enjoy it.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    So, what are the chances True Dungeon is themed to Acquisitions Incorporated at PAX? If it was, that would be awesome. If it isn't, there's always next time.

According to the most recent PAX related email I received, you have to sign up for True Dungeon in advance. If that is true, then it will be my first thing to do at PAX when the doors open at 10 AM. Assuming the first game starts shortly thereafter, that means that I will miss Storytime but the rest of my err "tentative" schedule would remain in-tact. I pretty much finalized my schedule and it has plenty of backup plans and alternatives to my backup plans if it gets that far. The only conflict I have left is to make a decision on whether to merge my lunches/dinners together for more PAX time or keep them separate. (Haha)

gVqmaCN.png
  • Taliesin IktomiTaliesin Iktomi Designer Carbondale, ILRegistered User new member
    We are just putting a demo together for everyone; maybe a couple puzzles, could be a combat or two, but certainly not the full two hour run so you'll have plenty of time to check out the rest of the con, play other games, and catch a panel or five.

Our eye is on PAX although our main attention will be on GenCon as that is where we present our full set up with all new puzzles, monsters, sets, and continue multi-year story arcs with two adventures, each with two versions (one more combat heavy and one more puzzle focused). We are super excited to check out PAX and look forward to meeting fellow indy game designers, gamers, and will be more than happy to answer questions about our game or recommend other games and events to check out.

If you're not able to come play or want a basic rundown of what makes True Dungeon, you can find some videos on YouTube, go to our website (www.truedungeon.com), head to the forum, or just give it a google. It's essentially a seven room dungeon run with hand crafted puzzles, animatronic, puppet, and NPC combats on a shuffleboard system with in room DM's - like going to a haunted house and playing a D&D style game in it almost. We are not a LARP, but you are more than welcome to come play in full costume.

The theme of each event relies on where we are in the story arc so it often changes but is mostly in a medieval fantasy setting. For demos and events like Gamehole Con, we come up with an external adventure using mostly puzzles and combats from previous GenCon events with some changes in mechanics, aesthetics, or solutions so veteran players won't know the answer or how to one shot the monster as soon as they walk into the room.

We keep everything PG13, so no gore, actors won't swear, and we tend to shy away from jump scares. We also keep our dungeons fire safe, latex and glass free on interactive props, no strobe lights or anything that can trigger an epileptic seizure, wheel chair accessible, and as safe for everyone as possible. (although still a dungeon full of things that are trying for a TPK - total party kill)

See you there! glhf

I wish I were going to be there... y'all are going to get a fun taste. Perhaps just a couple rooms instead of the full experience... but enough to get you hooked. I hope you all have fun and enjoy it.

Oh it's definitely my top 3 and I hope it proves popular enough to maybe get 1 full adventure next year :)

• friedtofuburgerfriedtofuburger Registered User new member
    Hey everybody, I made an easy-to-read grid schedule for PAX South (basically like what's in the printed guides at PAX). I was doing this for a friend and wanted to share with everyone else. Enjoy!

• CastiCasti Registered User new member
    This is awesome! Can't wait. Thanks for the info!

• manta173manta173 Registered User regular
    Anyone know the max or recommended party size for the True Dungeon event?

• JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    Anyone know if the boys are gonna be signing things or not? My 12th anniversary book needs a signature.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Jombalaya wrote: »
    Anyone know if the boys are gonna be signing things or not? My 12th anniversary book needs a signature.
    I believe the signings are sort of combined with the staff pin trading events now, but I'm not certain.