As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Trump Administration

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    repubs will be saying "at least we're not HRC" for about a decade longer at least I'm sure

Actuarial tables and her wealth mean more like 25.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    A spurious impeachment attempt would be foolish. A massive expenditure of political capital that gains nothing. I can see three scenarios

1. The allegations aren't true and are therefore unproven. Nothing happens.
    2. The allegations are true, and are proven. Trump is impeached
    3. The allegations are true and aren't proven. Nothing happens and the US continues with a comprehensively compromised President

1 is a bummer. 2 is ideal. 3 is fucking horrifying. If these allegations can't be proven, we all better fucking hope they aren't true.

Just so we are clear

It's #3

I'll throw in #4. The allegations are true, and are proven. Nothing happens and the US continues with a comprehensively compromised President.

I don't think that one is possible without something fucking catastrophic happening, where "true" = to the satisfaction of both sides rather than to the satisfaction of Democrats (who already believe it essentially because they want to wish it into existence). The GOP don't like him enough to allow a Russian asset to run the executive branch.

How about this then
    #4. The allegations are true (to an extent verified by intelligence agencies and this stance is either publicly announced or leaked), and are proven (to the extent that the contents are verified, and not just the authors). Nothing happens and the US continues with a comprehensively compromised President.

If there's a chink of light in the "it didn't happen" department, he's fine.

Remember when our President Elect was on camera and microphone, recorded bragging to the nephew of a former president about how he can use his position of power to sexually assault women with impunity?

At this point I'm convinced, even if it's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's colluding with Russia to subvert the interests of the US, he and the GOP will continue to find ways to spin it to a show of strength, an asset and "at least we're not Hillary".

As soon as that came out I could immediately come up with a plausible spin on it, which was essentially "he's just talking shit". That's what they ended up going with. I don't think this could be spun. The hooker thing alone would be the end of him.

I'm not convinced the hooker thing would have that sort of impact anymore. The very fact that they were able to spin away the pussy grab video as some normal shit real men do has laid the groundwork for him to credibly say "Let he who has not had a hooker piss on a hotel bed cast the first stone, am I right guys?"

This is all moot though as previously mentioned any such evidence, if it did exist, has been assuredly pulverized

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    repubs will be saying "at least we're not HRC" for about a decade longer at least I'm sure

Until Michelle decides she wants to run for public office. Then they'll switch over to her.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    A spurious impeachment attempt would be foolish. A massive expenditure of political capital that gains nothing. I can see three scenarios

3. The allegations are true and aren't proven. Nothing happens and the US continues with a comprehensively compromised President

1 is a bummer. 2 is ideal. 3 is fucking horrifying. If these allegations can't be proven, we all better fucking hope they aren't true.

Just so we are clear

It's #3

I'll throw in #4. The allegations are true, and are proven. Nothing happens and the US continues with a comprehensively compromised President.

I don't think that one is possible without something fucking catastrophic happening, where "true" = to the satisfaction of both sides rather than to the satisfaction of Democrats (who already believe it essentially because they want to wish it into existence). The GOP don't like him enough to allow a Russian asset to run the executive branch.

How about this then
    #4. The allegations are true (to an extent verified by intelligence agencies and this stance is either publicly announced or leaked), and are proven (to the extent that the contents are verified, and not just the authors). Nothing happens and the US continues with a comprehensively compromised President.

Remember when our President Elect was on camera and microphone, recorded bragging to the nephew of a former president about how he can use his position of power to sexually assault women with impunity?

At this point I'm convinced, even if it's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's colluding with Russia to subvert the interests of the US, he and the GOP will continue to find ways to spin it to a show of strength, an asset and "at least we're not Hillary".

As soon as that came out I could immediately come up with a plausible spin on it, which was essentially "he's just talking shit". That's what they ended up going with. I don't think this could be spun. The hooker thing alone would be the end of him.

I'd bet you $50 right now that the hooker thing will blow right by. Even if it's proven it's so extreme that it's implausible and they'll play it off as "look how ridiculous this is, our enemies are so desperate they're making up childish bathroom stories". Unless he's on video handing cash to women and demanding they piss, this is never going to be his silver bullet.

Besides, do you know how many people in this country would pay good money to get to piss on a bed Obama slept in?

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Nah I think that ends on the next administration. They will absolutely ride it through Trump though, as a "we'll look what the other option was" to excuse anyband all failings.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Just so we are clear

It's #3

How about this then

I'd bet you $50 right now that the hooker thing will blow right by. Even if it's proven it's so extreme that it's implausible and they'll play it off as "look how ridiculous this is, our enemies are so desperate they're making up childish bathroom stories". Unless he's on video handing cash to women and demanding they piss, this is never going to be his silver bullet.

Besides, do you know how many people in this country would pay good money to get to piss on a bed Obama slept in?

My fifty bucks, generally, is on this blowing over because it's never proven. I guess my only disagreement is that I think if it were proven, he'd be done.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The hookers pissing on the bed the Obamas used is a distraction from the real story of treason

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm just

yeah i'm fuckin done

this country deserves Donald Trump

I for one welcome our country being swallowed by the seas as global warming causes more ice to melt and seas to rise

hopefully Florida is the first to go

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

Just so we are clear

It's #3

How about this then

I'm just imagining this as the Dave Chappelle skit now.

"What do you think, I'm just gonna fly over to Russia and pay a bunch of girls to pee on a bed Obama slept in, while Russia's probably got the cameras rolling, come on. I've got a little more sense than that.

Yea, I remember payin those hookers to pee on it."

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    ZmKMy10.png

:rotate:

• Options
    I'm glad the MSM isn't running with the piss thing, because unless they have an actual video or audio recording of it, it's completely meaningless trash, and all it actually does is undermine the important stuff in the report.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

Nah I think that ends on the next administration. They will absolutely ride it through Trump though, as a "we'll look what the other option was" to excuse anyband all failings.

By 2025, Hillary Clinton will have been the President when the world went to hell in late 2017. At least in the GOP narrative.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Just so we are clear

It's #3

Are you sure?
    Can any of us be, anymore?

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

By 2025, Hillary Clinton will have been the President when the world went to hell in late 2017. At least in the GOP narrative.

Much like 9/11 was Bill Clinton's fault and Obama failed to handle the resulting Iraq war properly.

Republican president in-between them? Nah, that's a liberal MSM gotcha-journalism fake-news thing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    Hey guys, someone is coming forward about being the originator of the Trump piss story.
    http://archive.is/lwPZv
    If true, very damaging for media organizations involved. Sorry buzzfeed.

• Options
    The Watergate caught fire today. Futurama's concept of God is getting kind of frustrated and showing it.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    can you summarize? that link is blocked by my firewall.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    ZmKMy10.png

The states that voted for him are the ones that get special attention anyway. They're landslided with federal pork yet they still remain shitholes.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So you guys can impeach him at this point right? Like, this was the point where he was supposed to clear the air and lay this shit to rest if he had the ability to do so and emerge fully vindicated but instead he threw a glorified temper tantrum and basically admitted that it was all true.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

A poster on 4chan wrote the document and sent it to Rick Wilson, who then forwarded to Eric McMillan who gave it to McCain who gave it to the CIA. He and others were trolling Wilson for some piss fetish fanfic thing. The document was allegedly a revised version of some other thing he wrote. He's speaking to a lawyer before going public with it. His twitter got deleted.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

It's some guy I haven't heard of who posts like he spends a lot of time on 4chan claiming to have wrote the piss story.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

It's someone on twitter with like 100 followers saying he made it up.

It's nothing.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Just so we are clear

It's #3

How about this then

On the face of it, the hooker thing barely bothers me. I don't have a problem with prostitution as a concept, with the sex acts described, or with the pettiness of it. Basically, I'm not going to judge what a grown adult does to get his rocks off or what an adult does to make money provided it causes no direct harm to others. Where it potentially bothers me (i.e., if any of these are true, I'm quite bothered): whether the prostitutes are subject to threat of violence or coercion, whether the prostitutes were underage, and whether or not any proof exists that may be giving a foreign country leverage over the President of the United States of America.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Sorry, he has 1700 followers, I guess he's credible.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So you guys can impeach him at this point right? Like, this was the point where he was supposed to clear the air and lay this shit to rest if he had the ability to do so and emerge fully vindicated but instead he threw a glorified temper tantrum and basically admitted that it was all true.

If the House wanted to, they could impeach him, yeah. He's clearly in violation of the emoluments clause. If the GOP still gave a shit about the Constitution.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    PROX wrote: »

A poster on 4chan wrote the document and sent it to Rick Wilson, who then forwarded to Eric McMillan who gave it to McCain who gave it to the CIA. He and others were trolling Wilson for some piss fetish fanfic thing. The document was allegedly a revised version of some other thing he wrote. He's speaking to a lawyer before going public with it. His twitter got deleted.

McCain didn't give it to the CIA though, he gave it to the FBI.

• Options
    ZmKMy10.png

Yup. This election will never end apparently. Also, a hearty "fuck you" to the almost-half of the population in many of the states you lost that were dumb enough to vote for you too.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular

It's an image of some unverified account on Twitter who says "I made up the story and sent it to buzzfeed", basically.

That account doesn't exist anymore, btw.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I'm very worried that I am starting to become much too paranoid for my own good. I feel like what is going on and has been going on is anti-intellectualism and attacks on rational thought. I believe this is happening on both sides as I put myself into a bubble here and on r/politics. I'm too scared to wade into the forums and discussion going on in the other side of the confirmation. What I am getting is a one sided story that became very apparent after watching Trump's press conference.

With the recent document released by buzzfeed, this fear has only grown. What I believe is happening is an ongoing attempt to discredit news organizations so that no one knows who to believe anymore. Journalism is very necessary to inform the public. Fake news is being weaponized to take down news organization not towing narratives which divide the nation. It feels like we are being subject to a divide and conquer tactic. The public becomes less informed, and less educated which leads to poor decisions on elected officials. People clump up into cliques and progress for mutual benefit is slowed.

edit: what I really want is someone brave enough to report on what is going on in the other camp as objectively as possible so that I can run it through my own lens.

This is what's been going on that lead to Trump. "We report everything, you decide what you want to be true."

The truth is that both sides are not the same. Both sides are not equally evil. Being insulting to respected journalists asking valid questions does not need a counterpoint of someone else going "Everything is not as it plainly appears."

That would be the climate change shit all over again. Here's one scientist representing 99.9% of the scientific community. Here's one representing 0.1%. Two equal viewpoints. You decide which is true.

If you were to give me those numbers then I would say climate change is real. But watching the trump conference, I can see how people can believe what he is saying or think the conference was good. Hell, I thought he did fine and when I go to reddit I see people saying it was a terrible conference. He knocked down a lot of questions, but to me it seemed like people were being very aggressive and looking for scandalous headlines. I don't think I'm that intelligent so a lot of the outrage that I was supposed to perceive went over my head. I think this is what the people who approve of him are taking away from the conference.
    He addressed:

Buzzfeed leak: He denied and seemed sincere. Seemed like a guy who felt under attack with ridiculous allegations. I was looking for some sort of tell when he is lying.
    Calling people fake news: Thought this was sort of childish. Reporters were being very aggressive.
    The Wall - Mexico will reimburse us for it. Cut off my line of thinking. Okay Mexico will be negotiated with. Seems like he has a good relationship with them.
    Hillary - Got questions beforehand. I felt like that was unfair for sure. But not the scandal it was made out to be. Shouldn't have done it as it damages the reputation of the news organization.
    Taxes - Not showing them. This has a lot of friction with me. Makes me question what he is hiding.
    Hacking - He actually admits to Russian hacking. Blew it off. Now I'm feeling kinda weird about this. It feels like I'm very susceptible to hand waving.
    HIs business - His divisment arguments made sense to me.

I was very susceptible to his hand waving of issues. I'm terrible at debate though. And hearthstone. I don't think the majority of his base are debate experts either. This might be a reason why trump supporters can see him as a great president.

To me he was doing what a normal guy in that situation would be doing.

Yes, from that I would say that you certainly are susceptible to handwaving given his complete nonanswers to most of those things, and "looking for some sort of tell when he is lying" honestly comes across as weird conspiracy theory level stuff, especially applied to someone who anybody here can point out hundreds of baldfaced lies he's told with a straight face. He has not earned the benefit of the doubt on anything. Just because he says words doesn't mean he's actually giving answers.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »

McCain didn't give it to the CIA though, he gave it to the FBI.

Who already had it.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Hey guys, someone is coming forward about being the originator of the Trump piss story.

The amount of faith I have in twitter randoms on either side is zero

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

So it's literally the "4chan did it" but by a specific account.

Also, "his account got deleted" is as likely as "I deleted the account and said it got deleted for plausibility." Or even more likely; does Twitter delete rando accounts all that often?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Yes. It certainly seems that Trump has a good relationship with Mexico...

Wait, what?

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    ZmKMy10.png

The states that voted for him are the ones that get special attention anyway. They're landslided with federal pork yet they still remain shitholes.

Yeah, the entire federal government is effectively just a way for the blue states and Texas to prop up the failing red states in exchange for them growing food (which we also pay twice for). Balance of payments between states is absurd.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

How is it "damaging" to say "This is an unverified document that circulated through upper levels of government?"

It was circulating, and it was unverified. Even if the document itself and its claims are false (a distinct possibility, though I don't believe for a second any 4channer claiming responsibility), the article that ran was entirely true and newsworthy.

• Options

It's someone on twitter with like 100 followers saying he made it up.

It's nothing.

Don't underestimate the power of shitposting. This is the kind of stuff we have to look out for and deal with head on. Buzzfeed and other media organizations including NPR have reports of something akin to this document. If this guy is telling the truth legitimate news sources like NPR can be irreparably damaged. This is looking down the barrel of a loaded gun for these organizations. Controversy is very juicy bait and it was poor judgment to flock to it.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Yeah, jesus, that twitter account is very obviously a troll trying to get some sort of notoriety off of this story. Also, any twitter account with that many anti-semitic tweets within the first page should, uh, probably be ignored.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

rick wilson has said he's not the source

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Just so we are clear

It's #3

How about this then

On the face of it, the hooker thing barely bothers me. I don't have a problem with prostitution as a concept, with the sex acts described, or with the pettiness of it. Basically, I'm not going to judge what a grown adult does to get his rocks off or what an adult does to make money provided it causes no direct harm to others. Where it potentially bothers me (i.e., if any of these are true, I'm quite bothered): whether the prostitutes are subject to threat of violence or coercion, whether the prostitutes were underage, and whether or not any proof exists that may be giving a foreign country leverage over the President of the United States of America.

No, sorry, that level of pettiness does concern me from a potential President. I don't care if he hired hookers to do it, or construction workers, or pissed on it himself though.

But yes, that's also exactly the kind of crap that would probably get your clearance yanked at any level below Congress/President, because yeah ridiculous, impulsive, and embarrassing behavior like that is exactly how you wind up being blackmailed by foreign interests.

• Options
    KAINE: We talked about this in my office. There's been great deal of coverage and ExxonMobil history with the issue of climate change, a recent two-part article prepared by members of the Rockefeller family foundation and investigated by an independent team by the school of journalism. There was a three-part series in The Los Angeles Times and Inside Climate News produced a nine-part series that was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize. One ExxonMobil concluded as early as the 1970s that pollution from CO2 from burning fossil fuels was—in destructive ways and took public positions against the scientific position regarding science climate, three, funded outside groups that publicly obscured, and continues to provide funding at a lower level to outside groups that deny, downplay this scientific consensus, are these of promoting and funding climate status denial despite awareness if it's true or false?

TILLERSON: Senator, since I'm no longer with ExxonMobil I'm in no position to speak on their behalf.

KAINE: I'm not asking you to speak on ExxonMobil's behalf. You were with the company for 42 years…I'm not asking you on behalf of ExxonMobil. You have resigned from ExxonMobil. I'm asking you whether those allegations about ExxonMobil and decision to fund and promote of you contrary to its awareness of its science whether the allegations are true or false.

TILLERSON: That question would have to be put to ExxonMobil.

KAINE: Do you lack the knowledge to answer my question, or are you refusing to answer my question?

TILLERSON: A little of both.

This discussion has been closed.