As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vista - still a hassle?

2»

• RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    fogeyman wrote: »
    Rohan wrote: »
    sometimes folders won't give me the option to sort items and sometimes they do,
    This is weird, folders always let me sort items however I want to. Did you try right clicking-->sort by-->more options?
    Dreamscene keeps crashing so there's no point to it,
    Dreamscene doesn't crash for me, but it's still pointless. So far, all of the Ultimate Extras are pointless :x .
    Crysis didn't appear on the Start Button > All Programs list (wth?),
    That's weird, too--works fine for me.
    games won't run from their original folders unless installed in Vista (unlike XP - I have games from dozens of installs ago still present and running with XP),
    I don't understand the problem, the point of a clean install is to get rid of old applications/files/everything and start fresh. Unless you somehow upgraded XP to Vista except partitioned it (I don't think this is possible), you would have setup Vista on a new partition and therefore no already-installed programs would work. You'd have to install them again.
    Edit - Oh, and "Up" is no longer present among the window navigation keys. Irritates me a great deal, it does.
    That's what the breadcrumb bar is for. You just click another folder name (or the arrow to quickly access other subfolders). It's much faster and better than the "up" button from XP.

I'll have to have a look at Vista tomorrow, but thanks to you and Azio for replying. As for the previously installed games, this is my current setup -

120GB HDD - Partitioned into two HD's, 60GB each. XP installed before Vista on the first partition, Vista installed after XP on the other partition. One of the other seperate hard drives, a 250GB, is where my games are installed. I do not want to have to re-install every game I play after installing the OS - some of the discs are long lost, scratched or otherwise unuseable. Most of the games run just fine when I click on their .exe's in the game folders in XP, but they won't in Vista. It seems to require that a game is installed properly before it'll work, but I just don't need to do this with XP. It's one of the biggest reasons I still game mostly on XP and Vista gets ignored.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you installed XP, then installed the games, that would explain things. Let's say you started with Vista instead of XP (for whatever reason). You then install all of your games onto a second hard drive. After this, you partition your first hard drive and install XP onto the new partition. None of your games will work in XP, but they'll all work in Vista.

This is because programs need to write to the registry for them to work. This should be the case for virtually every application you use that involves installation.

I don't know of any way to have games work in the way you're expecting them to.

fogeyman on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you installed XP, then installed the games, that would explain things. Let's say you started with Vista instead of XP (for whatever reason). You then install all of your games onto a second hard drive. After this, you partition your first hard drive and install XP onto the new partition. None of your games will work in XP, but they'll all work in Vista.

This is because programs need to write to the registry for them to work. This should be the case for virtually every application you use that involves installation.

Some games don't mind being transplanted from one computer/OS install/OS version to another, but others do.

Azio on
    edited November 2007
    Azio wrote: »

Some games don't mind being transplanted from one computer/OS install/OS version to another, but others do.
    Interesting, I never knew that. I guess I'm (partially?) wrong, then.

fogeyman on
    edited November 2007
    Azio wrote: »

Interesting, I never knew that. I guess I'm (partially?) wrong, then.
    It's generally just not a good idea, but if you're at a LAN party or can't be bothered to wait the 3 hours it takes to install and patch BF2, it's worth a try.

Azio on
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well I took the plunge last night and installed Vista. It's totally opposite from what I was ancipating, as 100% of the problems I've had have been usability problems not technical problems. Specifically:

1) UAC (FIRST thing I did was disable that... seriously, what the hell, the constant popups were driving me insane)
    2) Apparently Crysis doesn't get a spot in "All Programs", just in "Games"
    3) I hate the start bar, I need to figure out a way to delete everything Windows put there by default. There's like 10+ "Windows *****" applications above the search thing wasting space
    4) What kind of magic do I have to do to get the search thing to work? I installed Crysis, went to the Start menu and typed Crysis... nothing. Next I tried it with utorrent and got some config file but not the program... I guess I'll have to do some reading tonight.

The install on RAID 0+1 was painless though and I haven't had any problems with bugged programs or anything yet.

midgetspy on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You won't see search indexing and performance ramp up for the first few weeks. It could be, also, that Crysis didn't install with the actual name as an .exe, and so wouldn't come up in a search.

Also, you'll find there's no reason to *ever* use the All Programs button. That I've found, at least.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So do you launch everything by typing it into the search? Like I said my search seemed pretty much useless, is there a way to manually get it to index?

midgetspy on
    edited November 2007
    Newer games only show up under Games because that's where they belong now. Typing "uTorrent" into a search box won't turn up µTorrent because u != µ.

Azio on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Things in your start menu should be indexed by default. You can manually add other folders through Indexing Options (shows up when searching for "index").

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I upgraded to Vista when it was released, and it suuuuuucked.

Then I went up from 1gb RAM to 2gb, and its been fine since.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Actually, typing "uTorrent" works just fine for me. If a program doesn't normally install a shortcut to the start menu (ie games, uTorrent), just create a shortcut in the start menu and then you can type in the name with no issues.

The start menu search doesn't search everything, it searches the All Programs list. If you type in something and wait, it'll search further, but the immediate results are all All Programs stuff.

fogeyman on
    edited November 2007
    midgetspy wrote: »
    So do you launch everything by typing it into the search? Like I said my search seemed pretty much useless, is there a way to manually get it to index?

Yeah. I hit Windows and start typing to launch just about everything... I don't even know where half my files are now, just what they're called. It feels weird, as I used to be pretty organized in filing, but it's really just a waste of time now. win + "int" is a pretty common first step after I sit down at my machine. So is win + "word". I really don't use the mouse for anything that isn't right on the screen at all times.

Still dunno why Crysis won't show up for you on the search.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For those of you using the 64bit version, how's that working, in terms of gaming? I read somewhere that MS is forcing driver makers to make compatible 64bit versions of drivers to get them certified in Vista, but I also know that driver support for XP64 is pretty much shit, so I'd like to get some info there before I go upgrading.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    edited November 2007
    As soon as I have the time, I'll be switching to x64. I was hoping to do it this Thanksgiving break, but that didn't work out. Maybe winter break...

From what I've heard, driver support for Vista x64 is solid. You're also right that MS requires drivers to be certified, but I think there's a simple workaround for that.

fogeyman on
    edited November 2007
    Vista x64 driver support is already as good or better than XP was, on current hardware. By my (limited) understanding, the SDKs, dev support, and certification process are much easier and/or more streamlined.

I'm running it on my laptop, and I haven't found any incompatibilities yet, and it's actually been a notable increase in performance. Which really surprised me, as I didn't expect any sort of speed boost.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've noticed an increase in performance as well. Vista has made giant leaps in the 6 months performance wise. I'm planning to switch to 64bit by summer time. I needed to replace my CPU anyway. This also gives me an excuse to upgrade my memory from 1gig to 4gig (my mobo won't go past 4).

Dark Shroud on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    JAEF wrote: »
    I actually finally ran into something that just wouldn't work with my 64 bit vista. WC3 Banlist. The WINPcap program that it requires to run won't install because it's not configured for 64 bit systems, would've worked fine if I'd had 32 bit vista.

I run it just fine on my 64 bit Vista. There is a 64 bit compatible PCap install linked somewhere, most likely on the WC3 tech forums.

Cynic Jester on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm still going to go ahead and say it's broken because I'm too lazy to flick my wrist and find it.

JAEF on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    so Vista x64 is actaully good? I'd be interested in installing it, but I'm a bit afraid some things won't work on it. my digital camera is one thing I'm afraid of. What about games? XP x64 wouldn't run half of the games out there.

I like vista 32, but if Vista 64 has even better performance, and my camera and printer will work, bonus.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    so Vista x64 is actaully good? I'd be interested in installing it, but I'm a bit afraid some things won't work on it. my digital camera is one thing I'm afraid of. What about games? XP x64 wouldn't run half of the games out there.

I like vista 32, but if Vista 64 has even better performance, and my camera and printer will work, bonus.

I work as tech support for a major brand of printers and I find that if a printer has drivers for Vista 32 then it tends to have support for 64 bit vista. May or may not apply in this case.

Cynic Jester on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I work as tech support for a major brand of printers and I find that if a printer has drivers for Vista 32 then it tends to have support for 64 bit vista. May or may not apply in this case.

Hmm, good to know. I shouldn't be needing to re-install windows for a few months yet, I'll give x64 a try when I do.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited November 2007

Hmm, good to know. I shouldn't be needing to re-install windows for a few months yet, I'll give x64 a try when I do.

It's probably worthwhile to do some targeted searches for devices/games you're curious about, even contacting the manufacturer.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg