As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Trump Administration

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    You know, I used to find Vinny Caravella's talks of his CA earthquake bug-out bag on the Bombcast rather... well not silly, but something close with how prepared he was trying to be.

...And here I am now, thinking that Vinny had the right idea all along.

You know one of the stealth reasons I started hitting the gym last year and lost 70ish pounds is because I could see the darkness on the horizon, and felt that being super unhealthy, overweight, and unable to lift heavy things during the collapse would be unhelpful to me. As always, I hope to be wrong, but figured getting healthy wouldn't ever be a bad thing.

when the world collapses, it won't matter how much you can lift. everyone is going to die.

shit ain't like the movies. nukes will fly.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    You know, I used to find Vinny Caravella's talks of his CA earthquake bug-out bag on the Bombcast rather... well not silly, but something close with how prepared he was trying to be.

You know one of the stealth reasons I started hitting the gym last year and lost 70ish pounds is because I could see the darkness on the horizon, and felt that being super unhealthy, overweight, and unable to lift heavy things during the collapse would be unhelpful to me. As always, I hope to be wrong, but figured getting healthy wouldn't ever be a bad thing.

when the world collapses, it won't matter how much you can lift. everyone is going to die.

This doesn't help anyone or anything.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Tillerson's the only one who might not make it. Sessions is buddy-buddy with enough Senators to go through, Tillerson specifically has issues with McCain and Graham, and if Rubio votes to break, that's enough (unless Manchin also breaks), then Tillerson's out and Trump has to try again.

Realtalk: What's to stop Trump from just saying "Fuck you" and putting Tillerson in anyway?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Especially what with Sleep being our resident canary in the coalmine (who began complaining about some dark sputum he had been coughing up and we generally told him to walk it off).

All joking aside, and believe me I love me some dark humour, we're not dead yet.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Tillerson's the only one who might not make it. Sessions is buddy-buddy with enough Senators to go through, Tillerson specifically has issues with McCain and Graham, and if Rubio votes to break, that's enough (unless Manchin also breaks), then Tillerson's out and Trump has to try again.

Realtalk: What's to stop Trump from just saying "Fuck you" and putting Tillerson in anyway?

Respect for the norms!

ztrEPtD.gif
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Ignoring advise and consent is instant Constitutional crisis, the kind that ends in gunfire.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I mean, it'd go to federal court and they'd tell trump to fuck off

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Could be laws for State employees that they can't take orders from a "Special Advisor," only the Secretary and deputies.

NNSA has them.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    A little while ago, after the press conference and everything, I did something I have never done before. I prayed. I prayed with all my heart and soul. I did not pray to God, mind you. I prayed to the Sun. Yes, the Sun. Source of life energy for the Earth. I prayed to the Sun that it would descend to the Earth and embrace us in it's fiery bosom so that all traces of humanity would be purged. Trump has proven that humanity is ultimately a flawed creation and needs to be removed so things can start over.

Maybe I'm overreacting a bit.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

And, a much more likely outcome is that say, a huge natural disaster occurs and Trumps disastrous response delays federal action for months, leaving people to starve.

Assuming you've got enough water, after the fall of mankind you are going to be much better off fat than fit. Gym fit is effectively meaningless for survival. Your body can bulk up the stamina and muscle it needs for hard work over a few weeks of actually doing it, and the muscle you get at the gym is going to be all wrong for say, digging holes for potatoes.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Nobeard wrote: »
    A little while ago, after the press conference and everything, I did something I have never done before. I prayed. I prayed with all my heart and soul. I did not pray to God, mind you. I prayed to the Sun. Yes, the Sun. Source of life energy for the Earth. I prayed to the Sun that it would descend to the Earth and embrace us in it's fiery bosom so that all traces of humanity would be purged. Trump has proven that humanity is ultimately a flawed creation and needs to be removed so things can start over.

You should pray to Trump or Putin to fire the missiles because it's more likely

override367 on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

the constitution

i assume you are getting at - well, what's the enforcement mechanism - if the Senate says no and Trump insists, what happens? And the answer is unclear - presumably Congressional Republicans would be pissed and start moving on impeachment, since Trump is flouting the Constitution, but maybe not. Court angle would also get played - Tillerson would not have legitimate authority over State Dept. and so any actions he takes presiding over State Dept. would be subject to legal challenge, I would think.

chatoic-violent constitutional crisis is defo. the real answer though - if trump is willing to flout constitution on this matter, he is willing to flout it on all matters.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/us/politics/trump-press-conference-transcript.html?_r=0

That's the complete transcript from today, if anyone wants to read it.

If you make it through the entire thing without giving yourself an aneurysm, I commend you.

I didn't.

"They gave Hillary debate question. That was terrible."

YOU WON, YOU FUCKING, DIMWIT, MORON. HILLARY IS OUT OF THE GAME. STOP. FUCKING. TALKING. ABOUT. HER:

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

I pursued the military in 2007 not because I wanted to protect America, I wanted to protect me from America. And it worked. I felt the way the wind was blowing, the economy crashed and to this day I have job opportunities that my original educational community will never know.

When you get your body healthy, your mind will follow. Keep in mind that the warning labels are true, see a physician and discuss your health and fitness goals before you do anything or put anything in your mouth. Their advice and lab work will find things you didn't know about, and help make you more awesome in the future.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Astaereth wrote: »

Ignoring advise and consent is instant Constitutional crisis, the kind that ends in gunfire.

We arguably already have a less obvious constitutional crisis, which congress presumably sees fit to ignore.

As with anything else we have only the rule of law to prevent this, and as with most laws the only enforcement mechanism lies with congress (impeachment). Presumably an end run around their own power is something they'd step up on, party politics be damned. But who knows.

mcdermott on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

And, a much more likely outcome is that say, a huge natural disaster occurs and Trumps disastrous response delays federal action for months, leaving people to starve.

Assuming you've got enough water, after the fall of mankind you are going to be much better off fat than fit. Gym fit is effectively meaningless for survival. Your body can bulk up the stamina and muscle it needs for hard work over a few weeks of actually doing it, and the muscle you get at the gym is going to be all wrong for say, digging holes for potatoes.

We're veering a bit off course, but the dude said he lost 70 fucking pounds.

Let's not worry if he's just building show muscle, that's pretty good by any standard, unless he started off at 120 or something.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Or just continue with business as usual for the next 40 years and then the sun will deal with us without even having to get off its sun couch. Thanks Global Warming!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    https://www.brookings.edu/events/white-house-ethics-experts-repond-to-donald-trumps-announcement/
    White House ethics experts respond to Donald Trump’s announcement
    Donald Trump is expected to share details about his plans for his business operations at a press conference on Wednesday, January 11. Following that event, two of the nation’s leading bipartisan experts on White House ethics will respond to Trump’s announcement at the Brookings Institution.
    On January 11, Governance Studies at Brookings will host a media roundtable at which Eisen and Painter will share their reactions and answer questions regarding the content of Donald Trump’s press conference. The event will be webcast live.
    Walter Shaub, OGE head, basically pissed on the idea that Trump's plan would do much of anything to resolve the ethical and legal issues.

Couscous on
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »

We're veering a bit off course, but the dude said he lost 70 fucking pounds.

Let's not worry if he's just building show muscle, that's pretty good by any standard, unless he started off at 120 or something.

Not getting diabetes will certainly help you in the collapse of the American health care system, that's for sure.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Booker's testimony against Sessions was pretty bad

Lots of cliche phrases, almost no details

Felt more like a campaign speech for himself

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »

We arguably already have a less obvious constitutional crisis, which congress presumably sees fit to ignore.

As with anything else we have only the rule of law to prevent this, and as with most laws the only enforcement mechanism lies with congress (impeachment). Presumably an end run around their own power is something they'd step up on, party politics be damned. But who knows.

This one has another enforcement mechanism; pretty much anyone affected by any of Tillerson's decisions could sue to block them.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

are YOU on the beer list?
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    kedinik wrote: »

Yes, he is ambitious

he was testifying in a hearing, not presenting evidence to a jury as the prosecution. The only achievable goals of testifying against a fellow colleague of the Senate in his confirmation hearing are:

1) Produce good video of yourself for your next campaign (check)
    2) Possibly persuade a member of the majority party to withhold his/her confirmation vote (who knows, but a long shot)

The point is that he did it: broke with Senatorial norms to grant courtesy to a colleague in order to highlight the significance of Sessions' lack of fitness for the position. Democrats in general should be encouraged to grandstand like this, like they've never grandstanded before.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Apocalypse talk isn't any less infantile from the left than it was from the right.

Hakkekage wrote: »

Yes, he is ambitious

he was testifying in a hearing, not presenting evidence to a jury as the prosecution.

-_-

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/us/politics/trump-press-conference-transcript.html?_r=0

If you make it through the entire thing without giving yourself an aneurysm, I commend you.

I didn't.

YOU WON, YOU FUCKING, DIMWIT, MORON. HILLARY IS OUT OF THE GAME. STOP. FUCKING. TALKING. ABOUT. HER:

He's never going to stop talking about the woman to whom he lost the popular vote by 3 million.

At least not until someone equally as powerful and visible beats him at something.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve

Yes, he is ambitious

he was testifying in a hearing, not presenting evidence to a jury as the prosecution.

-_-

I really don't know what to do with this

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm the first person to criticize Cory Booker (and I'm sure that this will be literally true at some point in about two years when the primary field materializes), but I can't really find fault with him today.

Sessions is a terrible person and will be a disaster as AG. He needs called out on the fact that he's functionally a white nationalist.

There's no need to find fault with people who are currently on my side. Booker and I are both equally pumped for the incoming administration. Fighting battles against each other would be stupid when the hard work is yet to come.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.

Yes, he is ambitious

-_-

I went with a vaguely disappointed face instead of saying something like, "Thanks Hakkes I mistakenly thought this was a criminal prosecution thank you for clearing this up"

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

I for one, wish to be in the ground zero of any said nuke.
    You can't suffer the zombie apocalypse if you're a finely separated ash drifting on the radioactive breeze.

Twenty Sided on

Yes, he is ambitious

-_-

I went with a vaguely disappointed face instead of saying something like, "Thanks Hakkes I mistakenly thought this was a criminal prosecution thank you for clearing this up"

My point was clearly not literal. The setting does not call for a high level of detail from a testimony by another Senator. The emotional case is more important.

edited January 2017
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I'm the first person to criticize Cory Booker (and I'm sure that this will be literally true at some point in about two years when the primary field materializes), but I can't really find fault with him today.

Sessions is a terrible person and will be a disaster as AG. He needs called out on the fact that he's functionally a white nationalist.

There's no need to find fault with people who are currently on my side. Booker and I are both equally pumped for the incoming administration. Fighting battles against each other would be stupid when the hard work is yet to come.

Obviously I'm glad he testified; I just wish he had done a better job of it

Whereas John Lewis gave a heartfelt speech full of compelling details as to why Sessions is a dangerous candidate for the job

kedinik on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Whereas John Lewis gave a heartfelt speech full of compelling details as to why Sessions is a dangerous candidate for the job

I find this unsurprising. John Lewis is substantially better at rhetorically fighting racists than Booker is.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

I didn't.

He can't. And he won't. This is part of his...well, it's just how he is. He has to gloat. He has to bring the attention back around to a "defeated" foe. He has to make it about him. And when it's another nation? How will that play in the media? Will his handlers even let him near the microphone or twitter?

Because that's the shit that starts wars.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.ft.com/content/2af60a20-d835-11e6-944b-e7eb37a6aa8e
    The Trump employees laughed at his jokes and shouted out supportive answers to his rhetorical questions. One even took it upon himself to look over a reporter’s shoulder and ask if he intended to publish the words written on his notepad. When Mr Trump was finished, his acolytes pronounced his performance a resounding success.
    This is all really pathetic. Even in victory, Trump is pathetic.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

I find this unsurprising. John Lewis is substantially better at rhetorically fighting racists than Booker is.

And the single greatest living American (mostly, but not entirely, for that reason)

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Couscous wrote: »
    The Trump employees laughed at his jokes and shouted out supportive answers to his rhetorical questions. One even took it upon himself to look over a reporter’s shoulder and ask if he intended to publish the words written on his notepad. When Mr Trump was finished, his acolytes pronounced his performance a resounding success.

Pathetic/terrifying, whichever. Both.

Josh Marshall has the same basic read of Booker I do:

Though maybe we need a narcissist to combat the narcissist.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular

Yeah, I know, but it's better to think there's a slight chance no one fires them, or only one fires or something.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Pathetic/terrifying, whichever. Both.

It's why he's so terrifying.

This discussion has been closed.