As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Trump Administration

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Just thinking, if someone can publish his approval ratings compared to Obama's for the same period in his presidency, that'll probably be a reliable way to wind him up over the next four years. Just put them up on twitter once a week (and one day before any press conference he's due to give), and watch the meltdown.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    CNN has a short blurb about the whole thing.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/11/politics/cnn-statement-trump-buzzfeed/index.html?sr=twCNN011117cnn-statement-trump-buzzfeed1258PMStory
    CNN's decision to publish carefully sourced reporting about the operations of our government is vastly different than Buzzfeed's decision to publish unsubstantiated memos. The Trump team knows this. They are using Buzzfeed's decision to deflect from CNN's reporting, which has been matched by the other major news organizations.

We are fully confident in our reporting. It represents the core of what the First Amendment protects, informing the people of the inner workings of their government; in this case, briefing materials prepared for President Obama and President-elect Trump last week.
    We made it clear that we were not publishing any of the details of the 35-page document because we have not corroborated the report's allegations. Given that members of the Trump transition team have so vocally criticized our reporting, we encourage them to identify, specifically, what they believe to be inaccurate.

What do you think the odds are that this motivaes CNN to be something other then a bullshit equivocator?

I'm going to wear my optimism on my sleeve and say "moderately high". Calling out Trump is likely to be a ratings grabber over the next few years, and if CNN were smart they'd want to be all over that especially since he just called them out specifically.

It's not just calling him put would earn them ratings, but the fact is that he is equivocating them with an internet gossip site when they percieve themselves as being the real deal in the world of news. If I was the EiC I'd be telling people to drop everything to do with twitter or celebrity gossip or whatever else, the next 4 years were going to be all about crawling so far up his ass he'd be left with his lips around your shoes.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Elki wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    If Trump keeps trying to victimize and marginalize CNN, the only real play for them is to become the Resistance Network. The media plays nice because their access depends on it. If you revoke the access and promise to never give it back, all impetus to give you rhetorical handies goes away. At that point, the move has to either be fold up or embrace the new reality. And CNN isn't just going to fold up.

I don't remember a time when a politician profited from just cutting off media access, so go Trump I guess.

I don't see media access helping him, either.
    (Not counting Breitbart)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Trump can shit talk CNN all day, every day, and a majority of people will not care. They've been such a joke of a news network for so long that it won't matter.

I'm expecting them to get cut off entirely, due to Roger Ailes having his hand up Trump's bum more than anything.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2017
    If Trump keeps trying to victimize and marginalize CNN, the only real play for them is to become the Resistance Network. The media plays nice because their access depends on it. If you revoke the access and promise to never give it back, all impetus to give you rhetorical handies goes away. At that point, the move has to either be fold up or embrace the new reality. And CNN isn't just going to fold up.

I don't remember a time when a politician profited from just cutting off media access, so go Trump I guess.

I don't see media access helping him, either.
    (Not counting Breitbart)

Most likely true, he does quite poorly in unstructured interactions. But cutting off access completely and also the promise of possible future access, as Optimus says, is something different than minimizing on-record interactions. It changes incentives quite a bit.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    I'm imagining that CNN having its access cut off would backfire in the most beautiful way, as dozens or hundreds of reporters suddenly realize they no longer have to play nice.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    I'm imagining that CNN having its access cut off would backfire in the most beautiful way, as dozens or hundreds of reporters suddenly realize they no longer have to play nice.

The spotlight will turn to Obama, and whatever hell he intends to raise after his vacation. If the media plays up Dems as The Resistance, Trump will open back up.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Honestly, CNN could be a fucking nightmare for trump if they decided to do their damn job and engage in investigative journalism; 24 hours of them tracking down every person he has personally offended, reporting on his failed products, talking with various government experts about what a nimrod he is for his policy decisions that day.

If they pushed it long enough and made it clear that the focus of their ire was trump and not the greater republican party, they migh even be able to help the RNC regain control of the party (because while they are malevolent, they aren't utterly insane) and have them join in on the shitposting.

Cantido wrote: »

The spotlight will turn to Obama, and whatever hell he intends to raise after his vacation. If the media plays up Dems as The Resistance, Trump will open back up.

This would require trump to acknowledge that he made a mistake.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.ft.com/content/2af60a20-d835-11e6-944b-e7eb37a6aa8e
    The Trump employees laughed at his jokes and shouted out supportive answers to his rhetorical questions. One even took it upon himself to look over a reporter’s shoulder and ask if he intended to publish the words written on his notepad. When Mr Trump was finished, his acolytes pronounced his performance a resounding success.
    This is all really pathetic. Even in victory, Trump is pathetic.

this reads like shades of fucking North Korea

jesus

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

This would require trump to acknowledge that he made a mistake.

He won't. He will open back up, play the victim and demand non-FOX stations cover his garbage.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    They impeached Clinton on perjury. If they wanted to, they could put Trump in front of a grand jury and ask him flat out about the Russian financial stuff, which would then be checked against his tax returns they acquired during discovery.

There's enough there to get this far into the process, at least.

I thought they impeached Clinton, and then in that whole process, had him perjure himself?

steam_sig.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    They impeached Clinton on perjury. If they wanted to, they could put Trump in front of a grand jury and ask him flat out about the Russian financial stuff, which would then be checked against his tax returns they acquired during discovery.

I thought they impeached Clinton, and then in that whole process, had him perjure himself?

They badgered him with endless investigations into bullshit, he got deposed in a lawsuit, then impeached him over lying in said deposition.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

They badgered him with endless investigations into bullshit, he got deposed in a lawsuit, then impeached him over lying in said deposition.

Much like the email server thing only came out because of the Benghazi investigation.

Dig long enough, and hard enough, you'll kick up enough dust that people think it's smoke.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

He was impeached on two charges; perjury to a grand jury (stating "I have never had sexual relations with (Lewinsky)" in the Paula Jones deposition), and obstruction of justice. They tried to also charge perjury directly with regards to the Paula Jones case itself and abuse of power, but those both failed, the latter massively.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    *F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5*

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I went to edit the title with the time of James Mattis' hearing tomorrow, and when I looked it up I found out that he canceled his second meeting of the day with the House committee.
    House Democrats are fuming after Ret. Gen. James Mattis abruptly canceled his appearance before the House Armed Services Committee slated for Thursday. The move is triggering a backlash from top House Democrats who say without hearing directly from Mattis they will oppose legislation paving the way for his confirmation.

Smith told reporters that Trump transition officials made the decision to pull Mattis from the House hearing Wednesday.

He's still testifying before the Senate in the morning.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular

didnt something like this happen with Obama and Fox News early in his tenure? Only when they barred Fox News every media outlet joined Fox News in exile until they (fox) were allowed back in.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Tuned back to Tillerson, and someone mentioned the Eagle Scouts, so I guess that's still happening 6 hours later. Did I miss any nastiness?

For some reason, being an Eagle Scout automatically makes you a good person to huge swaths of the population.

It means you take direction from your superiors well and have done community service for the express purpose of filling out your resumè.

Or you're motivated and like camping and shit. Resume wasn't on my radar at the time I got started - I didn't join Boy Scouts until the last month of Freshman year of High School, for the express purpose of getting to continue to hang out with a friend who was switching schools. I got Eagle one week before turning 18. It scratches the same part of my brain that makes me like to 100% video games - there's tons of collectables to get, and there's ranks to level up!

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Waffen wrote: »

didnt something like this happen with Obama and Fox News early in his tenure? Only when they barred Fox News every media outlet joined Fox News in exile until they (fox) were allowed back in.

No. Fox News reported something like this happening, but shockingly, it turned out to grossly misleading.

What happened was a bunch of networks asked the Department of Treasury to interview some guy. The Dept of Treasury basically went "Fine, but no recording equipment, and only you guys who asked." Fox News never asked to interview him, so pitched a shitfit because they weren't on the list and reported that they were being selectively targeted, excluded, and harassed. The White House then stepped in and said "Calm your tits, you can interview him as part of the pool too." There was no show of solidarity. The White House weren't the ones who 'excluded' them. It was all sensationalist bullshit.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/wh-we-re-happy-to-exclude-fox-but-didn-t-yesterday-with-feinberg-interview

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    About CNN growing a pair...

p80myyux384k.png

Doctor Detroit on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I could be wrong, but didn't Trump refuse to openly deny a connection between his campaign and Russia? I feel like that should actually be the headline.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Jesus, that "Trump nailed it" opinion piece on CNN is fucking awful. Apparently "we actually learned a lot. Trump's two legislative priorities are building the wall and repealing and replacing Obamacare."

Did we really just learn that? Because I'm pretty sure that I've heard those two "policies" plastered fucking everywhere for the past year and a half.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I went to edit the title with the time of James Mattis' hearing tomorrow, and when I looked it up I found out that he canceled his second meeting of the day with the House committee.
    House Democrats are fuming after Ret. Gen. James Mattis abruptly canceled his appearance before the House Armed Services Committee slated for Thursday. The move is triggering a backlash from top House Democrats who say without hearing directly from Mattis they will oppose legislation paving the way for his confirmation.

Smith told reporters that Trump transition officials made the decision to pull Mattis from the House hearing Wednesday.

Rawstory is reporting that the Trump transition team block his appearance in the House, despite the fact that they have to pass a law for him to get the position at all. I'm not sure if the Trump team is just fucking with him now or what.
    https://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/trumps-team-blocks-u-s-house-appearance-by-pentagon-pick-mattis-officials/

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Rawstory is reporting that the Trump transition team block his appearance in the House, despite the fact that they have to pass a law for him to get the position at all. I'm not sure if the Trump team is just fucking with him now or what.
    https://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/trumps-team-blocks-u-s-house-appearance-by-pentagon-pick-mattis-officials/

There's a possibility they could pull a bait and switch for another general Sec Def due to vague wording of the Senate Bill

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    ZmKMy10.png

:rotate:

When this happens California should just stop giving money to the Federal Government.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Hoz wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    ZmKMy10.png

:rotate:
    The states that voted for him are the ones that get special attention anyway. They're landslided with federal pork yet they still remain shitholes.

Yeah, the entire federal government is effectively just a way for the blue states and Texas to prop up the failing red states in exchange for them growing food (which we also pay twice for). Balance of payments between states is absurd.

In the case of California we don't even get food back.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

There's a possibility they could pull a bait and switch for another general Sec Def due to vague wording of the Senate Bill
    The House meeting was to determine if they would pass the law that lets him take the position. The Senate meeting is the confirmation hearing.
    The bill has to pass the House and the Dems in the House are saying that they won't pass it until he meets with them.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    In the midst of this flurry of the bombshell leak and the, by design, concentrated schedule of hearings, Cory Booker testified against Sessions:

http://www.vox.com/identities/2017/1/11/14239398/cory-booker-jeff-sessions-attorney-general
    He added, “If confirmed, Sen. Sessions will be required to pursue justice for women, but his record indicates that he won’t. He will be expected to defend the equal rights of gay and lesbian and transgender Americans, but his record indicates that he won’t. He will be expected to defend voting rights, but his record indicates that he won’t. He will be expected to defend the rights of immigrants and affirm their human dignity, but the record indicates that he won’t.”

Yeah, Booker is definitely ambitious and is not as left as many would like. But he's pretty fucking charismatic, especially in person.

He'd be a good VP pick, perhaps.
    PantsB wrote: »
    If they're crazy enough to primary a sitting president, more power to them I say.

Of course, by then Trump's approval will probably be at lizardman/second term W numbers.

Trump's approval is 37 according to the Q poll.

Yup, he's basically *starting* at 2nd-term-W numbers.

Limbo!

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    *watches press conference*

This is awful, but also just a little bit wonderful. Like watching Dr. Frankenstein get eaten by his own monster.

With Love and Courage
    milski wrote: »
    PROX wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    can you summarize? that link is blocked by my firewall.

A poster on 4chan wrote the document and sent it to Rick Wilson, who then forwarded to Eric McMillan who gave it to McCain who gave it to the CIA. He and others were trolling Wilson for some piss fetish fanfic thing. The document was allegedly a revised version of some other thing he wrote. He's speaking to a lawyer before going public with it. His twitter got deleted.

So it's literally the "4chan did it" but by a specific account.

Also, "his account got deleted" is as likely as "I deleted the account and said it got deleted for plausibility." Or even more likely; does Twitter delete rando accounts all that often?

They've started to for hate speech, and the glance I gave at it had a whole lot of kill all the Jews anti-Semitism.

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Someone help me out here.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/nbc-news-contradicts-cnn-golden-showers-memo-is-disinformation-and-was-not-shown-to-trump/

So is CNN's reporting correct or not?

I'm lost on the difference between the memo, the actual 35-page report, etc.

Who is reporting things correctly and who isn't?

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Conway did an interview with Anderson Cooper earlier and it's airing on CNN now, she's basically just bickering with him. She brought up the NBC story contradicting CNN's report that Obama and Trump were shown a 2 page summary of the Russian blackmail intelligence thing and Cooper's answer was that the NBC story had one source and CNN's reporting had multiple sources and was also being reported by other news outlets.

Xantomas on
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Jesus, that "Trump nailed it" opinion piece on CNN is fucking awful. Apparently "we actually learned a lot. Trump's two legislative priorities are building the wall and repealing and replacing Obamacare."

Did we really just learn that? Because I'm pretty sure that I've heard those two "policies" plastered fucking everywhere for the past year and a half.
    Yes but you can never know what Trump means by what he says or does. But after this press conference we know Trump wants to build a wall and repeal Obamacare for sure this time.

She's trying hard to blame CNN for the pissgate scandal despite Cooper's repeated attempts to explain that CNN never reported any of that and they disagree with Buzzfeed publishing all the unverified info.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Apocalypse talk isn't any less infantile from the left than it was from the right.

Right wing: Obama will cause the apocalypse by giving gays the right to marry, invoking God's wrath.

Left wing: Trump may cause the apocalypse by inexpertly handling delicate foreign policy in an age of nuclear weaponry.

Yeah, these seem like equally infantile arguments.

With Love and Courage
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

The House meeting was to determine if they would pass the law that lets him take the position. The Senate meeting is the confirmation hearing.
    The bill has to pass the House and the Dems in the House are saying that they won't pass it until he meets with them.

Yeah both senate and house have to pass the waiver. The wording of the senate bill limiting time does not name Mattis

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    The Sauce wrote: »
    How did we decide on calling this Pissgate instead of Goldengate?

Because fuck you that's my bridge!

And now she's whining about how the media isn't being as nice to Trump as they were to Obama 8 years ago.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    How did we decide on calling this Pissgate instead of Goldengate?

Because fuck you that's my bridge!

The Golden Gate isn't the bridge.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
This discussion has been closed.