As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Trump Administration

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I think she just threatened to fire everybody at CNN

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Pissgate just rolls off the tongue better if you ask me.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Someone help me out here.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/nbc-news-contradicts-cnn-golden-showers-memo-is-disinformation-and-was-not-shown-to-trump/

So is CNN's reporting correct or not?

I'm lost on the difference between the memo, the actual 35-page report, etc.

Who is reporting things correctly and who isn't?

CNN reported that the IC was briefing the POTUSes on possible blackmail material.

Buzzfeed posted the 35p document that contains said material (or references to its existence)

NBC reports that two sources say the brief CNN reported did include select references to the document, but as an example of unvetted info vs. vetted and analyzed intel product.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    If the press conference was any indication, Trump's presidency won't be any better than any other Trump enterprise.

http://www.uticaod.com/news/20170111/trumps-long-awaited-news-conference-quickly-turns-combative
    Only one seat was saved by a Republican National Committee aide, a front-row spot for a reporter from Breitbart, the conservative news outlet until recently run by Trump senior adviser Steve Bannon. Other reporters scrambled to save their seats. Reporters shouted and waved their arms at Trump to get his attention, rather than the president calling on questioners from a list, as is often the practice.

Sean Spicer to Acosta: NO U APOLOGIZE!

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Tuned back to Tillerson, and someone mentioned the Eagle Scouts, so I guess that's still happening 6 hours later. Did I miss any nastiness?
    For some reason, being an Eagle Scout automatically makes you a good person to huge swaths of the population.
    It means you take direction from your superiors well and have done community service for the express purpose of filling out your resumè.
    It also means we went camping a lot and can tie knots. I learned first aid, how to be a life guard, I hiked the White Mountains, and canoed through parts of Canada. I learned to take only pictures and leave only footprints (if that!), as well as a deep, lasting respect for nature, our national parks, and all wild spaces.

There's no reason malign all of us because of a few shitty members.

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Xantomas wrote: »
    She's trying hard to blame CNN for the pissgate scandal despite Cooper's repeated attempts to explain that CNN never reported any of that and they disagree with Buzzfeed publishing all the unverified info.
    This is why post-truth will always, as far as we can see in the current situation, win.
    Sticking to facts means being defensive. And being on the offensive you'll never have to stick to one issue, you can bait and switch as you please, and control the discussion.

Panda4You on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Pissgate just rolls off the tongue better if you ask me.

I hope not!

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    If the press conference was any indication, Trump's presidency won't be any better than any other Trump enterprise.

http://www.uticaod.com/news/20170111/trumps-long-awaited-news-conference-quickly-turns-combative
    Only one seat was saved by a Republican National Committee aide, a front-row spot for a reporter from Breitbart, the conservative news outlet until recently run by Trump senior adviser Steve Bannon. Other reporters scrambled to save their seats. Reporters shouted and waved their arms at Trump to get his attention, rather than the president calling on questioners from a list, as is often the practice.

Sean Spicer to Acosta: NO U APOLOGIZE!

No.

No. I believe in showing someone more respect than they show me, but when someone insults you and refuses to do their job.. well, I'd prefer someone call them out on it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    An apology for what? Being talked over and told by someone who likely doesn't know a thing about him that he's garbage in a public forum while trying to do his job?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    https://www.ft.com/content/2af60a20-d835-11e6-944b-e7eb37a6aa8e
    The Trump employees laughed at his jokes and shouted out supportive answers to his rhetorical questions. One even took it upon himself to look over a reporter’s shoulder and ask if he intended to publish the words written on his notepad. When Mr Trump was finished, his acolytes pronounced his performance a resounding success.
    This is all really pathetic. Even in victory, Trump is pathetic.

this reads like shades of fucking North Korea

jesus

Between this, the way Acosta was treated, and the lack of furor from the remaining reporters I will not be surprised if we see journalists arrested at some point in the next few years.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    MrAnthropy wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    https://www.ft.com/content/2af60a20-d835-11e6-944b-e7eb37a6aa8e
    The Trump employees laughed at his jokes and shouted out supportive answers to his rhetorical questions. One even took it upon himself to look over a reporter’s shoulder and ask if he intended to publish the words written on his notepad. When Mr Trump was finished, his acolytes pronounced his performance a resounding success.
    This is all really pathetic. Even in victory, Trump is pathetic.

this reads like shades of fucking North Korea

jesus
    Between this, the way Acosta was treated, and the lack of furor from the remaining reporters I will not be surprised if we see journalists arrested at some point in the next few years.
    Oh, this is not a question about 'if' but 'when'. And the believers are frothing for it: "It's time to put an end to criminals and insurgents spreading their lies and hateful bias!"

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    I mean, they literally resurrected a term from Nazi Germany used to discredit the press.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Tuned back to Tillerson, and someone mentioned the Eagle Scouts, so I guess that's still happening 6 hours later. Did I miss any nastiness?
    For some reason, being an Eagle Scout automatically makes you a good person to huge swaths of the population.
    It means you take direction from your superiors well and have done community service for the express purpose of filling out your resumè.
    It also means we went camping a lot and can tie knots. I learned first aid, how to be a life guard, I hiked the White Mountains, and canoed through parts of Canada. I learned to take only pictures and leave only footprints (if that!), as well as a deep, lasting respect for nature, our national parks, and all wild spaces.

There's no reason malign all of us because of a few shitty members.

Okay, I wasn't attempting to malign all Eagle Scouts ever or at all. I also did all of those things except in western Nebraska and Wyoming. I just don't think that experience should put me in a better light than those that didn't do it and don't think it should be used as some kind of bona fide at a political confirmation hearing.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I mean, they literally resurrected a term from Nazi Germany used to discredit the press.

But real nazis are the intelligence community because
    I think it was disgraceful, disgraceful that the intelligence agencies allowed any information that turned out to be so false and fake out. I think it's a disgrace. And I say that and I say that.

And that's something that Nazi Germany would have done and did do. It's a disgrace. That information that was false and fake and never happened got released to the public, as far as BuzzFeed, which is a failing pile of garbage, writing it, I think they're going to suffer the consequences.
    I still am not sure what this means.

Couscous on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

But real nazis are the intelligence community because
    I think it was disgraceful, disgraceful that the intelligence agencies allowed any information that turned out to be so false and fake out. I think it's a disgrace. And I say that and I say that.

And that's something that Nazi Germany would have done and did do. It's a disgrace. That information that was false and fake and never happened got released to the public, as far as BuzzFeed, which is a failing pile of garbage, writing it, I think they're going to suffer the consequences.
    I still am not sure what this means.

Just random Godwinning.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Trump on Facebook:
    There should be no further releases from Gitmo. These are extremely dangerous people and should not be allowed back onto the battlefield.

Where the fuck has that come from?

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Trump on Facebook:
    There should be no further releases from Gitmo. These are extremely dangerous people and should not be allowed back onto the battlefield.

'Will no one rid me of this troublesome reporter?'

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Trump on Facebook:

Republicans have long believed that inmates from Gitmo that are no longer in Gitmo were simply dropped in American cities with green cards and welfare checks and told to have fun.

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Well, I guess the line has been drawn in the sand.

Either some evidence turns up and this is true, and the scandal devours Trump's presidency.

Or, there is no evidence and the story here is the fake news attacking Trump. The nuances between CNN and Buzzfeed are going to be lost on most. And if the story is fake, I think most people are going to see Trump as justified.

furbat on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Trump on Facebook:

Republicans have long believed that inmates from Gitmo that are no longer in Gitmo were simply dropped in American cities with green cards and welfare checks and told to have fun.

Also that they're all supervillains who are clearly criminals regardless of any finding of fact.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Apocalypse talk isn't any less infantile from the left than it was from the right.

Right wing: Obama will cause the apocalypse by giving gays the right to marry, invoking God's wrath.

Left wing: Trump may cause the apocalypse by inexpertly handling delicate foreign policy in an age of nuclear weaponry.

Yeah, these seem like equally infantile arguments.

One certainly has more merit than the other, but both are still unnecessarily sensationalistic. Plenty of bad stuff coming down the pipe that's definitely happening rather than the distant possibility of total societal collapse. Apocalypse talk is infantile because it's a distraction.
    furbat wrote: »
    Well, I guess the line has been drawn in the sand.

Either some evidence turns up and this is true, and the scandal devours Trump's presidency.

Or, there is no evidence and the story here is the fake news attacking Trump. The nuances between CNN and Buzzfeed are going to be lost on most. And if the story is fake, I think most people are going to see Trump as justified.

The bane of such unfounded accusations is that nobody cares by the time you're exonerated (unless it's a criminal accusation that actually goes to a high-profile trial with a clear not-guilty verdict). This is what sank Clinton.

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

The bane of such unfounded accusations is that nobody cares by the time you're exonerated (unless it's a criminal accusation that actually goes to a high-profile trial with a clear not-guilty verdict). This is what sank Clinton.

Well, Trump just made his attack on CNN a bigger story. So, that's one way of handling it.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    CNN has a short blurb about the whole thing.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/11/politics/cnn-statement-trump-buzzfeed/index.html?sr=twCNN011117cnn-statement-trump-buzzfeed1258PMStory
    CNN's decision to publish carefully sourced reporting about the operations of our government is vastly different than Buzzfeed's decision to publish unsubstantiated memos. The Trump team knows this. They are using Buzzfeed's decision to deflect from CNN's reporting, which has been matched by the other major news organizations.

We are fully confident in our reporting. It represents the core of what the First Amendment protects, informing the people of the inner workings of their government; in this case, briefing materials prepared for President Obama and President-elect Trump last week.
    We made it clear that we were not publishing any of the details of the 35-page document because we have not corroborated the report's allegations. Given that members of the Trump transition team have so vocally criticized our reporting, we encourage them to identify, specifically, what they believe to be inaccurate.

Kellyanne Conway will be on Fox news within the next 24 hours, guaranteed.

Well I guess it was CNN. Do I get partial credit?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote:
    One certainly has more merit than the other, but both are still unnecessarily sensationalistic. Plenty of bad stuff coming down the pipe that's definitely happening rather than the distant possibility of total societal collapse. Apocalypse talk is infantile because it's a distraction.

It was an idiotic equivocation. The right wing concerns over the apocalypse were entirely rooted in superstitious bigotry; left wing concerns are over a real arsenal of weapons that are now at the more or less sole discretion of a demonstrably unstable strongman. There's no 'equal' about these things.

The last right wing reactionary ideologue (one who at least had the benefit of coming from an old dynastic power structure in Washington) irreparably damaged modern western civilization after one landmark act of terrorism, and completely ended any semblance of civilization for the foreseeable future in Mesopotamia. I don't see a terrible war as a distant or remote possibility at all with the upcoming administration, based on historical precedent, and I see zero good reasons to trust the judgment of such a man with the cold war arsenal that he's pledged to 'update'.

With Love and Courage
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Honestly, CNN is a garbage fire

I really hate it when people i cant stand agree with me.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Honestly, CNN is a garbage fire

I really hate it when people i cant stand agree with me.

Yeah, just because they do their freaking job once, and Trump treats them as a punching bag, that doesn't mean that they're actually good. Fox wasn't the only cable news channel which got us in this mess, it was a group effort by all of them.

steam_sig.png
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Amy Berg is pretty goddamn awesome and made some great Sci Fi

are YOU on the beer list?
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    What you guys don't have all your important business stuff on written down on immaculate white business sheets and place them inside blank business envelopes stacked messily in a business pile?

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    With Love and Courage
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    North koreaaaaaaa

By which I mean I read a couple books lately on North Korea and this stuff he did today really gives me the crazy tinpot no dissent allowed fake projection of wealth/power/smarts chills

So It Goes on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

Well I mean, Trump did say it was proof that he was divesting himself of his financial interests...

• Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    Since that Press Conference is going nowhere. All of my Trumpet Facebook friends are posting this and basically saying that the Intel Report was, "fake", and that it originated from 4chan.
    15895051_10209119757324092_4695717077881705558_n.jpg?oh=99985f2807f40ef391dec44182664496&oe=591EFCBD

My head's going to fall off from shaking it so much in shame.

I remember when /pol/ made the fake facebook pages for Trayvon Martin.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to occasionally call Trump the Liar in Chief once he takes office

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    The word for today is 'calamity'.
    CNN's Jim Acosta responded to Trump's attacks on him during today's press conference and told Wolf Blitzer that the upcoming press secretary Sean Spicer said, "the incoming press secretary did say to me that if I were to do that again, I was going to be thrown out of this press conference.”

Earlier in the day, the president-elect refused to let CNN's Jim Acosta ask a question because he was furious of CNN's original reporting an called him,"fake news."

Wolf Blitzer asked, "You very assertively tried to get a question. He pointed at you and said he didn't want to take your question, he said 'fake news.' Tell us what it was like for you when you saw what was going on."

Acosta said that Trump indicated he wasn't going to call on him because of the CNN report from Tuesday.

Acosta said, "Then as the news conference went on, as you heard, he was attacking this news organization repeatedly, and I felt it was only fair that if our news organization is going to be attacked that we get a chance to ask a follow-up question about what Donald Trump was talking about..."

He continued, "...after I asked and I guess demanded that we have a question, Sean Spicer, the incoming press secretary did say to me that if I were to do that again, I was going to be thrown out of this press conference. Of course, Wolf, I had to persist there and try to get that question asked, but in the end the question was asked..."

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    He's right, Brietbart was there weren't they

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Also, checking Twitter, apparently Trump talkied about privatizing VA and nobody is paying attention to it.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    People have talked about privatizing VA forever. In some cases they've taken steps toward it. Veterans usually aren't pleased with the result.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    The guy who based an enormous part of his presidential run on fake news has within a few weeks time has taken a stance against fake news.

I can't even begin to string together the right words.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.