As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Scramblers have made a comeback recently. Triumph (of course), Ducati, and Yamaha all have offerings in the segment, and they look like a ton of fun.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I'm personally most interested in the Adventure segment in the long run, but my real hope for American bikes is more standards, because right now even the sportiest Harleys and Indians you can buy are really low with forward pegs. Harley's Street series and Low Rider S get close, and I love the rev-happy liquid-cooled motor on the Scout/Octane, but the promise of a flat-track inspired American sport standard hasn't been properly realized on the market since the ill-fated Harley XR

• intropintrop Registered User regular
    Who is going to make an American sport standard, though? Do you think that the people looking for that class want a bike with a Harley name on the side? (Legit question, not poking.)

I know a whole lot more people who ride that style who'd be willing to put up with an Indian, Zero, Lightning, etc., badge than HD.

Steam ID: highentropy
    Yup, I'm thinking the ball is in Polaris's hands right now, hence my hope that the promise of Project 156 comes through before too long. Not that I don't think Harley is incapable of making a good standard - the Street 500 and 750 exist, although they're cursed with occasionally shoddy quality in their first couple model years

Right now the most "standard" cruiser I can think of is the Yamaha SCR950, or its more "cafe" brother the Bolt C-Spec.

edited January 2017
    actually wait no I forgot that Harley also makes the Roadster trim Sportster now, which is really similar to that C-Spec - taller seat height, aggressive suspension, and mid pegs stock, so about as sporty of a bike as Harley's made in ages

but given that's still a classic Sportster mill powering it, it's still classic Harley for better or worse

Mortal Sky on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I wish Dakar were easier to follow live or at least in larger segments but at least the official highlights have some really gorgeous drone footage?

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

How he's going to have to do his drag pull.

sqkflhzm4avy.jpg

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    when i park my mini uphill and leave it in first, it rolls back about a foot, and if i get out, I can push it backwards even a bit farther

is that supposed to happen

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Mine is automatic so dunno.

Seems strange that you're parking on a hill without engaging the parking brake though.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Mine is automatic so dunno.

Seems strange that you're parking on a hill without engaging the parking brake though.

i was told that i should be able to not use the parking brake, and that it shouldn't roll

i dont trust this person so im asking you guys

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    When the parking brake in my Fiero was broken, I'd just park it in first and it would roll back a little bit when parked uphill.

Edit: You should definitely engage the parking brake, though. The car can move with 1st engaged, there's just a fair amount of resistance to overcome.

jgeis on
    Use both, and turn the wheels to point at the curb for good measure.

also on the subject of American sport bikes, I still don't particularly get why Motus wants $30k minimum for their bikes, except that I guess forging a startup from scratch and then also engineering a big-block V4 isn't exactly cheap. they look like absolutely fantastic sport tourers, though, and I'm glad they exist. perhaps once they reach a certain volume, they'll start looking down market? an 800cc American V4 in that style would be neat

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Jasconius wrote: »
    when i park my mini uphill and leave it in first, it rolls back about a foot, and if i get out, I can push it backwards even a bit farther

When you're doing that, it's basically the engine compression that's holding the vehicle. If you're in between revolutions, the car's pistons will need to rotate closer to TDC (top dead center) to hold it, so some movement MIGHT be expected... Further than a foot seems excessive though, and I wouldn't expect pushing to get you through one of those revolutions.

Track it, see if it's consistent, but you might want to start using your e-brake.

Edit: Added quote for clarity.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

Well engine braking works on the compression stroke, so you have to wait until whichever piston it is makes it far enough up the cylinder to generate enough compression to resist the car moving. Cylinders do not seal 100% though, the cylinder pressure is going to leak down over time and the car will roll.

Use the park brake, that's what it's for.

actually looking it up now and Ducati priced the Desmosedici RR at $72k on release so you know what, Motus, $37k for your track-ready R isn't all too bad

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    yes on a hill, use the parking brake.
    I don't like to use mine on flat ground because the brake pads stick to the rotors (because racecar) and you shouldn't need it, but it shouldn't hurt to use it any time you park.
    if the parking brake isn't on, (and it's in gear) you should be able to push the car right on down the road, you'll just be turning the motor over as you do... size of the motor and how much compression will determine how hard that is to do...
    a 4-pot with low compression, probably easier than you'd think...
    this is how you "bump start" a car with a dead battery (and a MT)

jwalk on
    Well you bump them by building up a bit of speed with the clutch in and then you drop it, but yeah.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    If I don't have the hand-brake engaged I can't use the memory buttons on my electric seats (but I can move them otherwise) because.. fuck knows why. Stop helping, Subaru.

Just this week I realized that when you have the windshield wipers turned on in a Fiat 500 and you shift into reverse, the hatch wiper automatically turns on to clear the hatch glass.

jgeis wrote: »
    Just this week I realized that when you have the windshield wipers turned on in a Fiat 500 and you shift into reverse, the hatch wiper automatically turns on to clear the hatch glass.

Most modern cars do that, it's neat!

Most modern cars do that, it's neat!

I don't think that my Elantra GT does, but honestly I don't know. I mean, my girlfriend has had the 500 for 4 years now and I just noticed it.

Our 2008 Golf does it, and my Mum's 2009 Mazda 3.

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    rear window wipers... gee whiz.

what'll they think of next, mabel? what'll they think of next.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'm looking at a 2017 civic (coupe probably). Anyone got any opinions on them or similar cars? I'm probably a month or two out from actually getting something. But it's the primary car I'm looking at right now.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I'm looking at a 2017 civic (coupe probably). Anyone got any opinions on them or similar cars? I'm probably a month or two out from actually getting something. But it's the primary car I'm looking at right now.

You'll need a taller spoiler.

Other than that they are a good choice in their segment. I have a friend who just keeps upgrading his civic on lease terms without any complaints. Eventually he'll keep one and do the spoiler thing I keep on him about.

I was thinking of

RDQUW5S.jpg

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Get the Type R!

Ehhhhh I'd love one but I'm just going for a small commuter that I can get a lot of life out of. Also they're more expensive.

If you can drive stick, the 1.5L turbo and 6-speed manual transmission drivetrain is the one to get.

If you can drive stick, the 1.5L turbo and 6-speed manual transmission drivetrain is the one to get.

Yeah that's the one I was looking at.
    The Si tempts me in ways the R doesn't tho...

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I absolutely love my 2017 civic hatchback. Definitely recommend it and its ilk.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I'd just say don't get a 2 door, as 4 doors are way more useful.
    Price range, priorities and expected use (IE miles per year and city vs highway)?

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    rear window wipers... gee whiz.

what'll they think of next, mabel? what'll they think of next.

cars that..... drive themselves?!

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    So, walk me through bump starting. I get how the movement of the wheels spins the various linkages that eventually end up at the engine's crankshaft, thereby making the pistons move. But how does fuel get there without the fuel pump being supplied electricity from the battery?

Even with a dead battery, the fuel lines hold a certain amount of residual pressure. From there, delivery is based on crankshaft position and engine timing.

edited January 2017
    schuss wrote: »
    I'd just say don't get a 2 door, as 4 doors are way more useful.
    Price range, priorities and expected use (IE miles per year and city vs highway)?

But coupes are so cool!
    Also it would very rarely contain more than 2 people.

Also I have a Forster for all those sorts of needs.

TheStig on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Even with a dead battery, the fuel lines hold a certain amount of residual pressure. From there, delivery is based on crankshaft position and engine timing.

You won't be push starting with a completely dead battery because you still need some juice to run the ignition. And even if you do have that, if it's dead enough that you're relying on line pressure alone for initial fuel delivery, you better hope it catches on the first try. It was a lot easier to do when you had a carbed engine with mechanical fuel pump.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
This discussion has been closed.