As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Trump Administration

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Did the Senate just use this distraction to repeal Obamacare?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/11/politics/senate-obamacare-repeal/index.html

Or is this more of a symbolic vote to allow them to have a proper vote later?

Although, one statement I did see in here, about 'Saving Rural Clinics and Doctors'. Disgusting. Oh, woe is me, we can't abandon our precious Rural clinics. We wouldn't want any real americans to suffer when we pull healthcare away from millions of minorities and working people in the cities.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Did the Senate just use this distraction to repeal Obamacare?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/11/politics/senate-obamacare-repeal/index.html

Or is this more of a symbolic vote to allow them to have a proper vote later?

Although, one statement I did see in here, about 'Saving Rural Clinics and Doctors'. Disgusting. Oh, woe is me, we can't abandon our precious Rural clinics. We wouldn't want any real americans to suffer when we pull healthcare away from millions of minorities and working people in the cities.
    "working"

"people"

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Corker withdrew his amendment that would delay things. Deadline is the 27th, this was a prelude not the real thing (note who is President).

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Every now and again in these threads someone opines on the likelihood that the United States will "shatter" or "splinter" or some such, and it makes me wonder what that would even look like. As much as we like to talk about "red states" and "blue states," in reality our divisions aren't nearly so neatly grouped geographically. So if, say, the election results were overturned tomorrow,* what would actually happen other than a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth? A sharp increase in domestic terrorism? Like, what could actually happen that would be worse than what we're already staring down the barrel of?

*obviously not going to happen; it's just the most potentially-destabilizing thing that came to mind.

A practical trajectory would be the continuance of antagonism between the CA state government and the Federal government. The precursor to a secession would be the Californian government cutting off the distribution of taxes/funds to the Federal government, probably as a result of disputes over various "you must respect other states shitty laws" federal legislation, likely as a result of progressive escalations.

Either the Federal government backs down, or you have the Trump admin ordering US soldiers to forcibly start occupying US territory, and how it goes basically depends on what the military chooses to do.

National Guard would 100% deploy. As for the federal gov, posse comitatus is a real thing and would make using the federal forces an illegal move. It'd be grounds for impeachment on the spot, assuming we haven't gone full Erdrogan at that point

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    furbat wrote: »
    Well, I guess the line has been drawn in the sand.

Either some evidence turns up and this is true, and the scandal devours Trump's presidency.

Or, there is no evidence and the story here is the fake news attacking Trump. The nuances between CNN and Buzzfeed are going to be lost on most. And if the story is fake, I think most people are going to see Trump as justified.

Gonna be honest with you: I don't care if it's real or not if it takes trump down.

Which is a terrible shitty point to be at and the sort of unprincipled BS I decry at every turn, but the fact of the matter is I'm tired of seeing trump skate away scott free from the kind of shit that ends the careers of far more qualified politicians.

I'm honestly having an identity crisis over it. Politics was one of my biggest hobbies behind video games, and one of the things I took pride in was that I was on the team that was using FACTS and playing WITHIN THE RULES even when it hurt us, and we were scrappy enough that we were gonna win anyway garsh dun it!

And now half of me is already willing to throw that shit in the garbage and say "well fuck it there's no morals in a knife fight", which also drives me to get personally depressed in myself for discarding my "political morality" that fast, which sort of makes me want to just go full ostrich on it.

It's a weird depressing cycle I've been shifting through.

I resent that I have to care about politics now.
    Probably because I do see it as nothing more than a knife fight between rats who care for nothing beyond immediate gains in power and wealth. In the past, I would've comfortably entertained false equivocations about how everybody is just corrupt or are just zealous ideologues. Frankly, I'm not that politically literate even now.

Now? I see that this knife fight has been going on since before I was born. The Republicans are just going to shift the dialogue further and further right until we either live in a cyberpunk dystopia or a fascist dictatorship. It's morally unsustainable for me to not wish for their complete destruction as a political entity.

Twenty Sided on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Either some evidence turns up and this is true, and the scandal devours Trump's presidency.

Or, there is no evidence and the story here is the fake news attacking Trump. The nuances between CNN and Buzzfeed are going to be lost on most. And if the story is fake, I think most people are going to see Trump as justified.

Gonna be honest with you: I don't care if it's real or not if it takes trump down.

Which is a terrible shitty point to be at and the sort of unprincipled BS I decry at every turn, but the fact of the matter is I'm tired of seeing trump skate away scott free from the kind of shit that ends the careers of far more qualified politicians.

I'm honestly having an identity crisis over it. Politics was one of my biggest hobbies behind video games, and one of the things I took pride in was that I was on the team that was using FACTS and playing WITHIN THE RULES even when it hurt us, and we were scrappy enough that we were gonna win anyway garsh dun it!

And now half of me is already willing to throw that shit in the garbage and say "well fuck it there's no morals in a knife fight", which also drives me to get personally depressed in myself for discarding my "political morality" that fast, which sort of makes me want to just go full ostrich on it.

Following politics has been one of my most ardent hobbies since I joined this board, but since the election (The Day Irony Died) I've basically avoided all news, and cut back my reading/posting in political threads by about 99%. I know everything is going to be bad. I know it's going to depress me. I know there's nothing I can do about it. So why torture myself? I'm completely a partisan voter at this point, so I feel like informing myself is pointless; I'll vote the same way regardless.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    http://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/trumps-team-blocks-u-s-house-appearance-by-pentagon-pick-mattis-officials/

The Mattis hearing's been canceled. Guess you don't actually need a waiver if you don't feel like getting it.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    God

half of me wants Mattis to walk away from this whole thing flipping the bird at Trump the entire time

but

the other half of me is terrified that if Mattis doesn't get nominated we wind up with a pants on head crazy loonie as Sec-Def

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    God

half of me wants Mattis to walk away from this whole thing flipping the bird at Trump the entire time

but

the other half of me is terrified that if Mattis doesn't get nominated we wind up with a pants on head crazy loonie as Sec-Def

I think the delays are partially because they are currently in a spat. Trump told mattis he would have x control over something, and then went over his head and decided on something else, pissing off mattis already.

Say what you want about mattis, he seems like a pretty straight dealer on this stuff and if you have an agreement you need to stick to it? He's retired with a mostly good career behind him, I see him burning the bridge.

steam_sig.png
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    God

but

Chuck Norris for Secretary of (Self) Defense.

Number One Tricky
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

I didn't have principles anyway, so please solve the american problem before it's the european problem.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    God

but

Chuck Norris for Secretary of (Self) Defense.

He'd accept. Don't give Trump ideas, pls.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

Following politics has been one of my most ardent hobbies since I joined this board, but since the election (The Day Irony Died) I've basically avoided all news, and cut back my reading/posting in political threads by about 99%. I know everything is going to be bad. I know it's going to depress me. I know there's nothing I can do about it. So why torture myself? I'm completely a partisan voter at this point, so I feel like informing myself is pointless; I'll vote the same way regardless.

@silence1186 You keep following them so that you can be a voice of reason in your community, a bulwark against fascist nonsense presented as reasonable policy gaining a toehold in the minds of your friends and family. The game just got even more complicated now that it's a propaganda war, this is not the time for apathy, this is the time for heightened involvement and resistance at any cost.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    Every now and again in these threads someone opines on the likelihood that the United States will "shatter" or "splinter" or some such, and it makes me wonder what that would even look like. As much as we like to talk about "red states" and "blue states," in reality our divisions aren't nearly so neatly grouped geographically. So if, say, the election results were overturned tomorrow,* what would actually happen other than a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth? A sharp increase in domestic terrorism? Like, what could actually happen that would be worse than what we're already staring down the barrel of?

*obviously not going to happen; it's just the most potentially-destabilizing thing that came to mind.

A practical trajectory would be the continuance of antagonism between the CA state government and the Federal government. The precursor to a secession would be the Californian government cutting off the distribution of taxes/funds to the Federal government, probably as a result of disputes over various "you must respect other states shitty laws" federal legislation, likely as a result of progressive escalations.

Either the Federal government backs down, or you have the Trump admin ordering US soldiers to forcibly start occupying US territory, and how it goes basically depends on what the military chooses to do.

National Guard would 100% deploy. As for the federal gov, posse comitatus is a real thing and would make using the federal forces an illegal move. It'd be grounds for impeachment on the spot, assuming we haven't gone full Erdrogan at that point
    Unless California actually seceded then they would by their own definition be a foreign country. California can't win a war, and the US has shown that once your in there is no getting out. Also Ca lacks the resources to win a protracted encounter. Now what Ca could and might do is make things very rough for the fed and just drag their heals and refuse to do things create laws that are against federal laws similar to the conservative states stalling against the ACA. Never outright Revolt but always just being a money pit.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

@silence1186 You keep following them so that you can be a voice of reason in your community, a bulwark against fascist nonsense presented as reasonable policy gaining a toehold in the minds of your friends and family. The game just got even more complicated now that it's a propaganda war, this is not the time for apathy, this is the time for heightened involvement and resistance at any cost.

Fair enough. My only other hang up is how can you be a voice of reason in the post-facts era of fake news? Just looking at the front pages of the New York Times and New York Post today, they are covering different realities. The bubble is unassailable.

• rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I wonder why it would be illegal to circulate made up facts.

I'm assuming there's a twitter bot already that automatically responds to every trump tweet with a "Wrong!"?

Number One Tricky
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

'Too bad!'? Doesn't that imply that you wished they were real?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »

'Too bad!'? Doesn't that imply that you wished they were real?

I think it's more "Too bad your attempt to get at me was so lame, losers!"

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Waffen wrote: »

Unless California actually seceded then they would by their own definition be a foreign country. California can't win a war, and the US has shown that once your in there is no getting out. Also Ca lacks the resources to win a protracted encounter. Now what Ca could and might do is make things very rough for the fed and just drag their heals and refuse to do things create laws that are against federal laws similar to the conservative states stalling against the ACA. Never outright Revolt but always just being a money pit.

Or just stop supporting the Federal Government and exporting food to the rest of the US. It would be a marginal loss for us considering how much of our GDP is Ag anymore, but the rest of the US would be super fucked.

Fair enough. My only other hang up is how can you be a voice of reason in the post-facts era of fake news? Just looking at the front pages of the New York Times and New York Post today, they are covering different realities. The bubble is unassailable.

The bubble is not unassailable, direct interaction and conversation with other humans is more important now than ever because of the bubble. Just keep speaking truth.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Political morals are only useful until the literal nazi is in the White House.

Political morals are more important then. We do not have to tear down the republic in order ro save it.

spool32 wrote: »

Political morals are more important then. We do not have to tear down the republic in order ro save it.

No, but I think we need to amp up our usage of emotional appeals and spambots. Do a better job controlling the narrative.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    spool32 wrote: »

1. We wouldn't be tearing it down, that would be the Other Side.
    2. It's difficult to keep believing that taking the high road 100% of the time is worth it when you keep losing to a literal Nazi.

edit: I'll amend that to say I agree that we shouldn't become their mirrors, merely accept that sometime not everything you do win has to be political clean, because politics is a messy, dirty business.

Harry Dresden on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    This presidency brought to you buy such sponsors as...

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Jesus fucking christ

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Well now we know the president costs however much Linda Bean paid.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    So our president is just a straight shill now. No pretense. That's happening.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    So he practically establishes he is for sale.. Only question is the price

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Well now we know the president costs however much Linda Bean paid.

$60,000, $55,000 of it illegal to a SuperPAC up in Maine to help Donnie split off one of the electoral votes.

Kinda cheap all things considered.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Can't wait for trump to move into the Colgate Optic White House.

Number One Tricky
    a nu start wrote: »
    Can't wait for trump to move into the Colgate Optic White House.

Don't you mean the Breitbart White Power House?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    Pssh, forget the money, Trump flushes money down the toilet faster than he passes his diet of KFC and tic-tacs. The real price is acknowledging him as the One True God Emperor

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    no it implies he's a fucking bully that thinks he got away with one more thing and is blowing digital raspberries at those who brought up the thing.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular

Wait, I actually wanted to shop at LL Bean before.

Goddammit.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

This is Truman Show-esque in its blatancy

I'm somewhat amazed by his constant ability to go even lower than my lowest expectations.

This guy will stop at literally nothing. I'm now even more sure than before that you'll have literal concentration camps in a year or two if you don't fight him tooth and nail whatever he does

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I also liked the pile of Trump merchandise at the end of the press conference table next to all the blank paper.

Never stop hustling.

This discussion has been closed.