As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Trump Administration

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Calling it now: AT&T makes job promises to Trump they probably either already said they were going to do or already intended to do in order to get Trump to suddenly be fine with that merger.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I just don't understand how a man who is currently involved in a scandal where people are afraid his allegiance can be bought tweets out a message showing that YES, YES IT CAN.

How fucking stupid can one person be?

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Not so stupid that 60 million still won't vote for him.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Haha, LL Bean tried to nip this in the bud before that tweet by saying Linda is just one of 50 family members and it's not fair to hold the whole company accountable over one person's views.

But then Trump outright went "buy LL Bean" which I'm sure is not actually helping them.

You can tell exactly what Trump was watching when he decided to make that tweet.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    The response is for someone to organize a boycott of LL Bean because of this.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

It was already happening

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So has someone done the Trump twitter -> cable news clip website yet? Can we pool some money to get that going because I think it'll be an important tool over the next 4 years.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    If Trump can be bought that cheaply, has the DNC considered a higher bid?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    vsove wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Trump, and I'm being serious here, can't go for the throat

He doesn't know how to attack someone without sounding like a petulant child

He doesn't think or write or speak clearly enough to go for anyone's metaphorical throat
    You know that, and I know that, but to his fan base he sounds like a real leader. Obama, by contrast, is... I don't even know. Arrogant, fake, condescending.

One of the most mind-bending things to me has been that anyone could listen to Trump and fall for anything he says when he's so transparently an ignorant bullshitter, and yet here we are.

Well it appeals to some people, definitely

I was pretty sad to see the likes and shares on Trump's tweets more-or-less double after he won the election

Apparently, lots of people had been enjoying the raw bile he was spewing, but had been afraid to admit it publicly until victory normalized him

That's part of it, but the responses to his tweets trend a lot more heavily towards the negative. And if you look at some of the likes/retweets, a lot of them are pretty obvious bots.

A lot of them aren't, of course. There are some truly terrible people out there. But for like.. three weeks post-election, there was a thread on every. Single. Tweet. Trying to sell mugs with 'Liberal Tears' on them. And they were the exact same chain of tweets, every time, with 1K+ likes/retweets in several cases.

There are people on Twitter who aren't bots? Like, actual real people?

They haven't quite driven off everyone yet. They're working on it.

One of the little bits of color, in one of Charles Stross's post-apocalyptic stories (mostly biowar, in this case), describes two bots on an otherwise deserted IRC channel earnestly (if repetitively) pretending to be hot, young and single in an attempt to get the other to download their malware.

The more things change...

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Not so stupid that 60 million still won't vote for him.

Yup. Stupid enough that next week he gets to use the White House as his weeknight crash pad.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

California would just offer him an Oscar if they really wanted to leave the union.

Problem is renewable energy is not as profitable as fossil fuels yet so they can't outbid.

Welcome to the kleptocracy!

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    Trump's first reaction to hearing about a plan to boycott L. L. Bean because of one family member's support for Trump was to shill for L.L. Bean because of that family member's support for Trump, guaranteeing it would be much more of a political thing.

http://money.cnn.com/interactive/news/kfile-monica-crowley-dissertation-plagiarism/index.html
    Conservative commentator Monica Crowley, who is slated to serve in a top national security communications role in Donald Trump's presidential administration, plagiarized thousands of words of her 2000 dissertation for her Columbia University Ph.D., a CNN KFile review has found.
    jb7fKno.png
    That is some amazingly blatant plagiarism there.

Plagiarism scandals have cost people their posts or forced them to retire early in politics before, but this is the Trump administration.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    LL Bean has explicitly come out against the political statements FYI. It's just an a-hole family member, not anyone in the leadership of the company. I'd imagine they're pretty pissed about this stuff given how much of their product goes to blue states.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

I wonder why trump spoke out at this point. Could be that the boycott was biting deep into their sales. After all, republicans don't actually make up a significant fraction of voters in this county. Force everyone to the polls to vote and they'd lose 60-40 at best.

Makes me wonder about how badly things must be going at the trump brand itself. Hopefully bankruptcy awaits.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

California would just offer him an Oscar if they really wanted to leave the union.

Problem is renewable energy is not as profitable as fossil fuels yet so they can't outbid.

CA is the third largest oil producer in the US. There's really no reason we couldn't be our own country (resource and economy wise).

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

I wonder why trump spoke out at this point. Could be that the boycott was biting deep into their sales. After all, republicans don't actually make up a significant fraction of voters in this county. Force everyone to the polls to vote and they'd lose 60-40 at best.

Makes me wonder about how badly things must be going at the trump brand itself. Hopefully bankruptcy awaits.

There's every indication he intends to use the office to profit personally. He'll be just fine.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Political morals are only useful until the literal nazi is in the White House.

Political morals are more important then. We do not have to tear down the republic in order ro save it.

No, but I think we need to amp up our usage of emotional appeals and spambots. Do a better job controlling the narrative.

People want to continue politicking and debating as normal.

This has clearly not worked. For eight years, at least.

People who want to win need to look at tea party strategies and debate and informational techniques, read papers on what persuades people, and so on. Emotional appeals have always been the way to convince people.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Did the Senate just use this distraction to repeal Obamacare?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/11/politics/senate-obamacare-repeal/index.html

Or is this more of a symbolic vote to allow them to have a proper vote later?

Although, one statement I did see in here, about 'Saving Rural Clinics and Doctors'. Disgusting. Oh, woe is me, we can't abandon our precious Rural clinics. We wouldn't want any real americans to suffer when we pull healthcare away from millions of minorities and working people in the cities.

Huffington Post goes into the finances of the plan with a little more detail.

It gives a tax cut to the richest 400 households in the country with an average yearly income of $318 million, which amounts of basically an extra 2% more income for them per year, but that 2% was enough to fund $2.7 billion in insurance premium tax credits for over 800,000 people in our 20 smallest states.

• JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    mcdermott wrote: »

There's every indication he intends to use the office to profit personally. He'll be just fine.

Cheney engineered a war leading to the the deaths of hundreds of thousands of civilians, thousands of US troops, and destabilized global US hegemony, to enrich his inner circle.

Lets see if Trump can top that.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    LL Bean has explicitly come out against the political statements FYI. It's just an a-hole family member, not anyone in the leadership of the company. I'd imagine they're pretty pissed about this stuff given how much of their product goes to blue states.

Oh thank god. I need new winter boots.

Couscous wrote: »
    Trump's first reaction to hearing about a plan to boycott L. L. Bean because of one family member's support for Trump was to shill for L.L. Bean because of that family member's support for Trump, guaranteeing it would be much more of a political thing.

http://money.cnn.com/interactive/news/kfile-monica-crowley-dissertation-plagiarism/index.html
    Conservative commentator Monica Crowley, who is slated to serve in a top national security communications role in Donald Trump's presidential administration, plagiarized thousands of words of her 2000 dissertation for her Columbia University Ph.D., a CNN KFile review has found.
    jb7fKno.png

Plagiarism scandals have cost people their posts or forced them to retire early in politics before, but this is the Trump administration.

If I had turned this in for a random graded college project, I would have been expelled.

This was her fucking dissertation.

Revoke this lady's goddamn doctorate.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

CA is the third largest oil producer in the US. There's really no reason we couldn't be our own country (resource and economy wise).

Self defense might be a bit rough.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

jb7fKno.png

In particular, Diamond Joe Biden was destroyed for a decade or so by plagarism.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I've been trying to keep up with the news, but it feels a lot like sensory overload

I really have been avoiding this thread and everything political up until the last few days. My new year started off really well and this Trump nonsense just depresses me.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Kind of depends. The state is remarkably defensible geographically and a rather large amount of the US military is based here, and really with the amount we contribute to the Feds it would only be fair we keep them. ;)

But yeah, unless it was an amicable break we'd almost certainly get wrecked.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    furbat wrote: »
    Well, I guess the line has been drawn in the sand.

Either some evidence turns up and this is true, and the scandal devours Trump's presidency.

Or, there is no evidence and the story here is the fake news attacking Trump. The nuances between CNN and Buzzfeed are going to be lost on most. And if the story is fake, I think most people are going to see Trump as justified.

Gonna be honest with you: I don't care if it's real or not if it takes trump down.

Which is a terrible shitty point to be at and the sort of unprincipled BS I decry at every turn, but the fact of the matter is I'm tired of seeing trump skate away scott free from the kind of shit that ends the careers of far more qualified politicians.

I'm honestly having an identity crisis over it. Politics was one of my biggest hobbies behind video games, and one of the things I took pride in was that I was on the team that was using FACTS and playing WITHIN THE RULES even when it hurt us, and we were scrappy enough that we were gonna win anyway garsh dun it!

And now half of me is already willing to throw that shit in the garbage and say "well fuck it there's no morals in a knife fight", which also drives me to get personally depressed in myself for discarding my "political morality" that fast, which sort of makes me want to just go full ostrich on it.

It's a weird depressing cycle I've been shifting through.

I resent that I have to care about politics now.
    Probably because I do see it as nothing more than a knife fight between rats who care for nothing beyond immediate gains in power and wealth. In the past, I would've comfortably entertained false equivocations about how everybody is just corrupt or are just zealous ideologues. Frankly, I'm not that politically literate even now.

Now? I see that this knife fight has been going on since before I was born. The Republicans are just going to shift the dialogue further and further right until we either live in a cyberpunk dystopia or a fascist dictatorship. It's morally unsustainable for me to not wish for their complete destruction as a political entity.

We already live in a cyberpunk dystopia

We are currently working on the fascist dictatorship

Nobody is seceding from the Union

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

jb7fKno.png

And not even actual plagiarism, just failure of attribution once during a stump speech while he did attribution at all the others.

I wasn't advocating for it. I just always get amused when people forget that my state is an oil state.

Our economy's just so diversified everybody always forgets.

jb7fKno.png

And not even actual plagiarism, just failure of attribution once during a stump speech while he did attribution at all the others.

I'm pretty sure spool is referencing this

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Yeah. It's far more likely that bits will be sold off to megacorporations.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

jb7fKno.png

That is plagiarism that can get you fucked up at a good grad school

But also there are definitely degrees of plagiarism, yes

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

Kind of depends. The state is remarkably defensible geographically and a rather large amount of the US military is based here, and really with the amount we contribute to the Feds it would only be fair we keep them. ;)

But yeah, unless it was an amicable break we'd almost certainly get wrecked.

You're also working under the assumption that the people who live in the parts of California that actually grow all the food/etc would be willing to follow San Francisco and LA in this scheme, which is probably not true. Trump still got almost 4M votes in CA (only 700K less than he got in Texas if you want to feel especially depressed), after all.

a5ehren on
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Huh, I am clearly uninformed. I didn't realize there was already an LL Bean boycott ongoing that led to Trump's tweet.

As for the plagiarized dissertation, Columbia needs to revoke that PhD yesterday.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

jb7fKno.png

If I had turned this in for a random graded college project, I would have been expelled.

This was her fucking dissertation.

Revoke this lady's goddamn doctorate.

And again - this exact same thing happened to a few German politicians in the past few years. They not only had their PhD's revoked, they lost their job over it (at least the Secretary of Defense did). But here its just "nah, whats a little plagiarism among friends, huh?".

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Tell em to ouster that family member.

I mean I wasn't going to buy their overpriced bullshit in the first place but now I get to feel really good about not buying their overpriced bullshit.

Fuck em.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Echoing the "politics is hard to deal with now" / "high road doesn't feel worth it" type thoughts. I do an amateur politics podcast where me and a buddy just ramble basically and from election night to a couple of weeks ago was... dark.

Now it's still dark, but I feel like I can actually look at the news again outside of these threads, even watch the Trump presser despite myself.

tynic wrote: »

Yeah. It's far more likely that bits will be sold off to megacorporations.

I get that this is a joke.

But I feel like a lot of people are really seriously thinking that the Trump administration is going to lead to civil war and military occupation. We're not there yet. It's not impossible that something like that will happen, but I'm leery of Democrats doing that thing we laughed at Republicans for when Obama got elected. I get that it's not the same thing at all and that Trump is demonstrably awful and will by all indications be a terrible President, but we have had terrible, corrupt Presidents before without devolving into shooting one another.

Trump smacks of Nixon more than Buchanan. Which is bad! And we have work to do. A lot of work! But speculation over which states will abandon the Union is premature and kind of unwarranted.

This discussion has been closed.