As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My New Friend, 8-Legged Jimmy

Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club ChampionA fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
There's this spider that has been hanging out on one of my hallways. I have named him Jimmy. I'm cool with spiders since they are cool with me and eat all the bad bugs, but I was curious what species he was. I live in the SF Bay Area (Oakland). He usually hangs around upside-down, if that helps. Also, it's not too clear in the photos (hard to get close without spooking the guy or ruining his web) but he has little white lines, like a zebra.

Any guesses?
1unwg24ao8pl.jpg
1yddlbowa5xz.jpg
mpt38ufjqvi3.jpg

@Arch @BugBoy @bwanie @Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud @everyonelsewholovesbugs

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Hard to tell, how big is the little feller?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    He's pretty small. Including his legs, he's smaller than a penny for sure.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the markings and shape look like your basic orb weaver ('garden spider'), but it's hard to tell from those pics

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    please place a spider of known size next to your spider of interest thank you

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    looks like a normal "house spider" to me

usually gray/black/brown with banding on the legs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegenaria_domestica

"barn funnel weaver"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Is it a juvenile/baby, maybe?

Smaller than a penny, including legs, describes any number of baby spiders I seen down here in bugland (Florida), but very few adults.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Tegenarias dont really make suspended webs and are much larger. Their abdomens are more tapered as well.

Probably an orbweaver of some sorts.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah Jimmy is super tiny. Like I said, he's smaller than a penny (by a few millimeters in radius). I just spent 15 minutes trying to get a better photo of him and I can't because he's so small that my phone won't focus on him even with selective mode. Also, what you see in the photos is basically what I can see of his web. Which is to say, absolutely none of it (the white walls don't help).

He tends to hang out on his web all day. I've only seen him not there and hiding next to the door frame a few times, maybe in the middle of the night. He's also pretty fearless and not sensitive to light or motion changes at all. I can walk past him and he don't give a fuck. There's a light in the hallway that I can turn off and on and he don't give a fuck. I got about 8 inches away from him with my camera phone and flash, and he don't give a fuck.

Guys, I think Jimmy knows I'm his bitch...

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Now be a good pet and suspend a piece of old fruit near by attract your master some delicious, equally tiny flies.

Orb weavers dont even see/ acknowledge you. They only respond to web vibrations. Hunter spiders will respond to visual movement and airflow/ environmental vibrations

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    Orb weavers dont even see/ acknowledge you. They only respond to web vibrations. Hunter spiders will respond to visual movement and airflow/ environmental vibrations

As someone that battles wolf spiders every summer, this is true.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Also, baby Orb Weavers are friggin adorable
    It hurts me to spoiler this widdle guy
    ddtjazg3d1.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    d'awwwwww

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Could it be a Spotted Orbweaver?

http://www.spiders.us/species/neoscona-crucifera/

It's possible...but I can't get a decent picture of him until he gets bigger, so I might update this thread later or I might just never post again because he got so big that he ate me.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It's possible...but I can't get a decent picture of him until he gets bigger, so I might update this thread later or I might just never post again because he got so big that he ate me.

Your posts are sure starting to sound like something a spider who is wearing your skin would say to throw us off the trail

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I'm sad to report that a few days ago, Jimmy packed up his bags and left me in the middle of the night. Apparently my humble abode did not provide enough sustenance for him, and he set off in search of greener, buggier pastures.

Fare the well, Jimmy! Oh, the places you'll go!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'm sad to report that a few days ago, Jimmy packed up his bags and left me in the middle of the night. Apparently my humble abode did not provide enough sustenance for him, and he set off in search of greener, buggier pastures.

Your posts are sure starting to sound like something a spider who is wearing your skin would say to throw us off the trail.
    With apologies to WiseManTobes

Elvenshae on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular

Places like your ear canal to lay his 100s of eggs!

camo_sig.png
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »

Places like your ear canal to lay his 100s of eggs!

This thread was ending on such a positive note too...

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...