As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2017 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• ltgruntltgrunt Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    If you enter the convention center before 1000, pretty much everyone is working to show you to where the queue area is.

On the off chance that you manage to be the first person in the door, the Enforcers in the red shirts will direct you to the queue room. More likely you won't be the first in the front door, in which case you can just follow the steady stream of people all headed in the same direction.

Also, once we get closer to the date the layout of the BCEC and where each of the PAX landmark rooms are located will be released via the Guidebook app for iOS and Android. You can use the app to plan your day and find your way around.

mkf6ad9.png
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Aredhel22 wrote: »
    So I have a mighty need to be one of the first people in line for the dealers room. As I understand it, I need to be in the queue room, and the doors don't open until 8am. Are the doors the very front doors where if you walk straight, you're going down the escalator to the dealers room?

We don't call it a Dealers room, we call it the Expo hall. Feel free to call it what you wish, but to avoid confusion if asking directions, i'd say Expo Hall.

In addition to what others said on location, know that many people will already be in line outside when the doors open at 8am ish. Actual time varies. What time is required to be "first" in line outside no one here can tell you. Also fyi, historically media get access to the hall an hour early on Friday (its one of the only perks the show grants them). Saturday and Sunday they wait in the attendee line with everyone else.

Hope that helps.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • NFGNFG NintendoFanGirl Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    Aredhel22 wrote: »
    So I have a mighty need to be one of the first people in line for the dealers room. As I understand it, I need to be in the queue room, and the doors don't open until 8am. Are the doors the very front doors where if you walk straight, you're going down the escalator to the dealers room?

We don't call it a Dealers room, we call it the Expo hall. Feel free to call it what you wish, but to avoid confusion if asking directions, i'd say Expo Hall.

In addition to what others said on location, know that many people will already be in line outside when the doors open at 8am ish. Actual time varies. What time is required to be "first" in line outside no one here can tell you. Also fyi, historically media get access to the hall an hour early on Friday (its one of the only perks the show grants them). Saturday and Sunday they wait in the attendee line with everyone else.

Hope that helps.

Welp, I wish I knew about that media perk when I was media. d'oh!

S2ieAvx.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Speaking of media - one of my complaints the last time I went (a few years ago) was how overabundant media passes were and how people were using them to jump lines or hog booth attendants. Have they done anything to restrict those and their use or is it still anyone with a youtube channel/blog can pretty much get one?

• CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Speaking of media - one of my complaints the last time I went (a few years ago) was how overabundant media passes were and how people were using them to jump lines or hog booth attendants. Have they done anything to restrict those and their use or is it still anyone with a youtube channel/blog can pretty much get one?

I've been an Enforcer or Exhibitor for most PAX Easts - I believe this is dependent on the booth, not a general policy. I don't believe there is a blanket policy for media getting to jump lines (at least there wasn't one for the five booths I've worked). Regarding the media credentials, I believe there are rules specifying minimum channel sub count, restrictions on type of media allowed, etc.

Last year I know a few people complained about media jumping lines, but I believe each case was the booth owner making an exception for that person.

Cabadrin on
    e2TtnRd.png
  • divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    Where will the disability sticker pickup be located? I'm legally blind with a friend guiding me.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Where will the disability sticker pickup be located? I'm legally blind with a friend guiding me.
    I believe medical badges are obtained at the registration desk in the main lobby. You will need your plus one with you, and you will both receive a medical badge to go along with your pax badges after one of you fills out a short form.

I believe medical badges are obtained at the registration desk in the main lobby. You will need your plus one with you, and you will both receive a medical badge to go along with your pax badges after one of you fills out a short form.

Thanks. I've been to PAX Prime/West, this will be my first East. I'm assuming the form and such are the same

Yeah, it should be the same.

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Cabadrin wrote: »

I've been an Enforcer or Exhibitor for most PAX Easts - I believe this is dependent on the booth, not a general policy. I don't believe there is a blanket policy for media getting to jump lines (at least there wasn't one for the five booths I've worked). Regarding the media credentials, I believe there are rules specifying minimum channel sub count, restrictions on type of media allowed, etc.

Last year I know a few people complained about media jumping lines, but I believe each case was the booth owner making an exception for that person.

There is not a blanket policy for media to jump lines. How media is handled is determined by each booth.

• cbrcbr Registered User regular
    My girlfriend will be 37 weeks pregnant during PAX. Anyone have suggestions to make our con-experience easier? Worried we won't be able to do much because there's no way she can stay on her feet as long as she'd need to for some of those lines.

ilta wrote: »
    Does anyone have a sense of when the panel applications are getting reviewed this year? I'm assuming within a week or two after PAX South, but if anyone had more precise information it would be very helpful.

Heads up Ilta, just got an acceptance for one of my submissions. Looks like Reed / PA is sending them out last week / this weekend. Hope that helps!

e2TtnRd.png
    cbr wrote: »
    My girlfriend will be 37 weeks pregnant during PAX. Anyone have suggestions to make our con-experience easier? Worried we won't be able to do much because there's no way she can stay on her feet as long as she'd need to for some of those lines.

Outside of mobility (wheelchairs!) or applying for a medical badge, here are a few more general tips I can offer:

-- There are elevators throughout the BCEC. You can access them to the sides of the Expo Hall, and they go to all floors. There usually isn't a line to use them, so the wait is pretty quick.
    -- You may feel a big pressure to hit PAX as soon as the doors open; waiting 30m-60m will let you avoid the huge lines out front.
    -- My suggestion is to skip some of the huge lines and spend some time at the smaller Indie booths or tabletop booths. Take a break by playing a demo of a game in a chair; go sit down in tabletop freeplay and check out a new game; or go to console freeplay and play a game for half an hour or so while sitting down.
    -- If there's a major booth or game she really wants to see, talk to the booth workers and ask if you can quickly jump in for medical reasons. It's at their discretion, and worth a try.

Hope those help!

e2TtnRd.png
  • craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    There's also the afk lounge that's designed to be a quiet space where people can get away from the hectic urgency that PAX can sometimes have :)

DXLJjjr.png
  • sirmeepsirmeep Registered User regular
    Is there any word on when people should expect the mysterious omegathon caller to select participants?

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    My guess would be sometime after South.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
    Does anyone have a sense of when the panel applications are getting reviewed this year? I'm assuming within a week or two after PAX South, but if anyone had more precise information it would be very helpful.

Heads up Ilta, just got an acceptance for one of my submissions. Looks like Reed / PA is sending them out last week / this weekend. Hope that helps!

Do they send waitlist or rejection emails as well? I haven't heard anything so I'd rather know I'm not accepted so I don't start putting materials together if it wasn't accepted.

• iltailta Registered User regular

Do they send waitlist or rejection emails as well? I haven't heard anything so I'd rather know I'm not accepted so I don't start putting materials together if it wasn't accepted.

I've been accepted and rejected alike for panels over the years, and I've never seen or heard of a waitlist. They do eventually send rejection emails, though.

• KafufuQKafufuQ Registered User new member
    I understand that weapons that can fire projectiles are not allowed but I have a bow that's not exactly good for shooting arrows, will that be allowed or no? And that is I were to remove the string?

• deestardeestar [E]nforcer PAXEast Vermont Registered User regular
    KafufuQ wrote: »
    I understand that weapons that can fire projectiles are not allowed but I have a bow that's not exactly good for shooting arrows, will that be allowed or no? And that is I were to remove the string?

PAX has a weapons check desk near registration and info at PAX, right in the front lobby. As far as I am aware it cannot fire projectiles and you must have it safety bonded at the weapons check booth in front lobby.

My suggestion is bring your bow and leave it stringed but bring an empty quiver... Fits a cosplay narrative a bit better to be out arrows rather than walking around with an unstrung bow.

Just to be certain on the policy though I would email pax_questions@paxsite.com. They should totally be able to give you a more definitive answer.

The omegathon email was sent three minutes ago but it's already closed...?

Did anyone else just get an omeganaut sign up email only to try the form and be told it expired?

DXLJjjr.png
  • Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    You should get another email, the first one's link was a mess up.

zmYaVYP.png
    I got the corrected Omegathon email, but the area where my "PAX East 2017 Sales ID #" belongs appears to be blank. Anyone else have this issue?

The email just says: "You'll note that we ask for your Order Confirmation number - we actually have that for you right here: We’ll close this form down Monday, February 1st 11:59 PM PST, and start the random selections... later. Good luck!"

S2ieAvx.png
    NFG wrote: »
    I got the corrected Omegathon email, but the area where my "PAX East 2017 Sales ID #" belongs appears to be blank. Anyone else have this issue?

The email just says: "You'll note that we ask for your Order Confirmation number - we actually have that for you right here: We’ll close this form down Monday, February 1st 11:59 PM PST, and start the random selections... later. Good luck!"

Its the confirmation ID from your receipt. I searched "PAX" in my gmail and found it right away. Hope this helps!

DXLJjjr.png
    craiola wrote: »
    NFG wrote: »

Its the confirmation ID from your receipt. I searched "PAX" in my gmail and found it right away. Hope this helps!

It does! I had that available but wasn't sure if it was the correct number and didn't want to guess, thanks!

S2ieAvx.png
  • HazelHalfBloodHazelHalfBlood Unapologetic Dungeons and Dragons Enthusiast New HampshireRegistered User regular

Load up with lots of water/juice! Some snacks as well along with comfy shoes. Also, the board game area is super awesome and there is always seating available. Playtest some new tabletop games to get off your feet. And check out some of the panels if you want to take a longer break. THERE IS NORMALLY AN AFK ROOM!! This is a room that is a quite get away from the con.

Enforcers are pretty awesome as well! If you need any help just stop and ask! :)

PAX Unplugged 2018 .... We Have Our...Passes [X] Hotel [X] Bus [..] Packed [..]

2afaq20.png

Proud Cookie Brigade Supporter
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I'd also suggest bringing something like a portable folding chair, but aim for one that sits high to limit the difficulty of getting out of the chair. I've seen people use those before and I doubt very seriously if anyone with even a Grinch-sized heart (pre-epiphany) would have an issue with a very pregnant woman taking up extra space in a line so that she can rest those feet.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • VermillionDeVermillionDe Registered User regular
    Just as a general question, and not to detract from Le_Goat's advice, are chairs or stools allowed in the lines? Last year there was a group of five people at the front of the Friday line that just kept taking more and more space by shoving their chairs out (largely into people). They got scolded once by a staffer, and then not again. I'd like to bring a little folding stool for my wife who has tendonitis, she struggles to stand for long periods of time. However I also don't want to cause a problem/get in trouble for doing so.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Just as a general question, and not to detract from Le_Goat's advice, are chairs or stools allowed in the lines? Last year there was a group of five people at the front of the Friday line that just kept taking more and more space by shoving their chairs out (largely into people). They got scolded once by a staffer, and then not again. I'd like to bring a little folding stool for my wife who has tendonitis, she struggles to stand for long periods of time. However I also don't want to cause a problem/get in trouble for doing so.
    If someone has a need for a folding chair, I can't see why someone would put up a fuss. If your "need" is being lazy, then quite simply there is only one thing to remember: don't be a jerk.

The reason a lot of rules exist and need to be enforced is because people will take advantage of leniency. If everyone used a folding chair while waiting in line, lines would triple in size, so I can see why they would try to discourage people form using them. But if you have a medical need, I can't see why they'd say no. I'm not an enforcer or a mod, so they'll have to give you the final answer.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    edited February 2017
    In general if you have a mobility issue or a medical issue that makes it difficult to stand in lines for long periods of time, you are best off going to registration first thing Friday and applying for a medical badge to add to your general admission badge(s). In this case, outside of the expo hall, chairs should be provided for medical badge holders in a safe area for sitting that doesn't impede other line-waiters. I would personally discourage bringing any chair or stool that is larger than one's standing footprint for use *in* a line.

zerzhul on
  • robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    I recommend Walkstool. Someone recommended it last year to me and it was incredibly helpful. The video of the guy using it is hilarious too.

6pq9je4.png
  • jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    Q: Are Badgers shipping??

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    jayh0va wrote: »
    Q: Are Badgers shipping??

A: YES THEY ARE!!

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • MarioManiacMarioManiac Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I just got an email at 12:30am EST saying my badges have shipped, and I live in Southern Maine. Est delivery according to the email is 2 days, but I know it won't actually be THAT quick. We'll be seeing the schedule and mobile app in the coming weeks! Let the Pre-PAX hype commence!!

MarioManiac on
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious shit!"
    signature_zpsh4qstnbp.png
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/MarioManiac
  • LejicLejic Registered User regular
    Sorry for the random Q but I didn't want to make a new thread in the main PAX forum.

Do they sell regular PA merch at PAX at all, or is it only PAX-merch? For example would they have a selection of the t-shirts currently on sale on the website?

• LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    Lejic wrote: »
    Sorry for the random Q but I didn't want to make a new thread in the main PAX forum.

Do they sell regular PA merch at PAX at all, or is it only PAX-merch? For example would they have a selection of the t-shirts currently on sale on the website?
    Yeah, you'll find those at the Expo Hall merch booth, which is typically located by the main entrance escalators into expo. There will be maps released in the coming weeks where you'll be able to find the booth's exact location. Off the top of my head, the website merch available last year was everything from the various t-shirts to crewnecks like the Video Games one to Strip Search blu-rays to posters... a pretty good amount of PA stuff.

Lejic wrote: »
    This is a perfectly reasonable question for this thread :)

• VermillionDeVermillionDe Registered User regular
    In general if you have a mobility issue or a medical issue that makes it difficult to stand in lines for long periods of time, you are best off going to registration first thing Friday and applying for a medical badge to add to your general admission badge(s).
    Thanks for the recommendation Zerzhul (and for the chair idea robirex). I've tried to dig up what information I could on medical badges but there doesn't seem to be too much other than "inquire further at X email address" or just that we need to pick one up the morning we go. I have an email in for more information, but for purposes of time can anyone tell me if we need to bring any kind of documentation? I want to make sure my wife has enough time to stop by her doctors before PAX and get whatever we need.

In general if you have a mobility issue or a medical issue that makes it difficult to stand in lines for long periods of time, you are best off going to registration first thing Friday and applying for a medical badge to add to your general admission badge(s).
    Thanks for the recommendation Zerzhul (and for the chair idea robirex). I've tried to dig up what information I could on medical badges but there doesn't seem to be too much other than "inquire further at X email address" or just that we need to pick one up the morning we go. I have an email in for more information, but for purposes of time can anyone tell me if we need to bring any kind of documentation? I want to make sure my wife has enough time to stop by her doctors before PAX and get whatever we need.
    You shouldn't need documentation, they just have you fill out a form that asks a few questions. As long as people aren't abusing it, it's still a relatively simple process.