As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeerMarylandRegistered User regular
edited November 2020 in Games and Technology
New Elder Scrolls thread! Where we talk about Bethesda's open world high fantasy series and the oodles and oodles of mods that have expanded said games into basically eternal adventures.

Mostly, Skyrim, because that's the game that's the newest, other than ESO, Legends, and Blades. Just got an HD upgrade! Still has many great mods coming out for it!

There are a lot of games, I'm not going to list them all tbh. Uhh, go play Morrowind.

Essential Links

The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages -- The definitive Elder Scrolls wiki. Contains everything you need to know.

NexusMods -- modsmodsmodsmods

**EDIT**

Curated Mod Lists & Guides by PA nerds! Use at your own risk; some of these may be outdated or nonsense. ANYONE is welcome to contribute more information; I'd love to get a proper OP with information on how to mod Morrowind, updated info about Oblivion, and info on even Arena, Daggerfall, Redguard, and Battlespire for the curious.

SKYRIM

How To Mod Skyrim by @Jragghen: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/43107980/#Comment_43107980

Skyrim Special Edition Recommended List by @Jragghen, edited from the original by @Monger & @Lucid_Seraph: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zQLlBqDrmk-_T0NXKMkL8OgiwlPi3qzRmdtNKFu-51Q/edit?usp=sharing

Skyrim Legendary Edition/Original Flavr by Monger & Lucid_Seraph: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uQIcsu51ptnb3bRusnmvyu16ZE6i5twzj0t-rTjR_j8/edit# <= Now pretty outdated but left up for legacy reasons.

OBLIVION

Oblivion Modding Guide (super outdated, use at your own risk!): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HXp-zJeSdXh1pVX83C8chg3DLhRGeLdbvdbhlncNoFw/edit?usp=sharing

Forum post by Monger about Oblivion modding: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/40799203/#Comment_40799203

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
Lucid_Seraph on

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I have made this thread because I'm trying to get my friend to play Morrowind, and I'm wondering about mod organizers for that game. Is the NMM the only one for Morrowind right now, or is there something more robust like Mod Organizer?

I already know about the main essential mods for Morrowind for a first timer, especially the graphics overhaul. Though I wouldn't mind hearing about other favorite mods, since I may start up my own game to play in conjunction with my friend.

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    So there were some official add-ons that I don't think are included with most forms of the game.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Official_Plug-ins

The Master Index adds a long quest that will open up a new transportation system that can help getting around the island easier.

LeFemm Armor and Adamantium Armor basically fix the problem with medium armor.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    McHoger wrote: »
    So there were some official add-ons that I don't think are included with most forms of the game.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Official_Plug-ins

The Master Index adds a long quest that will open up a new transportation system that can help getting around the island easier.

LeFemm Armor and Adamantium Armor basically fix the problem with medium armor.

I'm more looking for something that will let me efficiently organise and manage my mods without going crazy.

*edit* I guess Nexus Mod Manager it is. /shrug

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I had wondered why no one made another Elder Scrolls thread after the last one got closed. Even considered it myself but wasn't sure if there was some mod permission needed or what have you.

Anyways, glad to have a thread again.

More on-topic, I'm surprised that there still isn't a script extender available for Skyrim SE. I know they said it'd be a few months, but honestly I thought they were exaggerating. Guess not...

Still, I've noticed the mod scene for SE on the Nexus is more active than Fallout 4's. Granted, most of that is transfers from old Skyrim, but it's pretty noticeable.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Been DEEP down the Skyrim hole since I got the special edition for PS4 for Christmas.

Weird bug: I married Aela the Huntress and at some point she apparently got kidnapped by bandits. I got a quest to go save her, which seemed dumb, because she's Aela the Huntress. I was getting my inventory organized and prepping to go out, when suddenly the quest completed. I still had the quest to get additional work from the Companion leaders, so I toggled it on just to see where she was. Followed the waypoint and found her walking back home. Guess she fought her way out. However, ever since then, she's been super buggy. Walking backwards, doing this little back and forth sidestep in an endless loop, which I've dubbed the Truffle Shuffle. She's completely useless as a follower now as well, doesn't fight anything.

Not sure what happened there. I wonder if it was the marriage. Is there a way to divorce?

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Just got Skyrim SE on PC! Once I actually get a working PCIe cable so I'm not on the on-board graphics card, I'll be set.

But while I wait another week, I thought I might download some must have mods. One I always hear about is a body mod that most of the clothes mods are compatible with. What's the name of it? And what's some other must have mods I really need.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Just got Skyrim SE on PC! Once I actually get a working PCIe cable so I'm not on the on-board graphics card, I'll be set.

But while I wait another week, I thought I might download some must have mods. One I always hear about is a body mod that most of the clothes mods are compatible with. What's the name of it? And what's some other must have mods I really need.

Sophia companion, and obviously a mod to give all the women 4 foot long horse cocks. because elder scrolls, of course.

Buttcleft wrote: »

Sophia companion, and obviously a mod to give all the women 4 foot long horse cocks. because elder scrolls, of course.

I already had the horse cock mod. First thing I downloaded. Nothing says perfect fantasy women like 4 foot long horse cocks.

I already had the horse cock mod. First thing I downloaded. Nothing says perfect fantasy women like 4 foot long horse cocks.

I..I was just making up a horrible idea as a joke.

I had no idea it was a real thing.

an internet search just proved me wrong

horribly..horribly wrong..

I can't believe you didn't think that was a thing that exists.

That is probably on the tame side of horrifying things that exist.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    On the 28th of December the SKSE guys posted a video update showing some of their progress with SKSE for Skyrim SE. It's not there yet, but the progress is coming along.

http://skse.silverlock.org/

Tentative date for the first beta is mid-March.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    On the 28th of December the SKSE guys posted a video update showing some of their progress with SKSE for Skyrim SE. It's not there yet, but the progress is coming along.

http://skse.silverlock.org/

Tentative date for the first beta is mid-March.

Why do all devs sound the same.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Because we spend more time learning how to be bad ass code jockeys than how to be personality super stars.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    The entire software industry is secretly just one guy in a shack in Montana. Wake up, sheeple.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm a little annoyed about the special edition, because it has things I consider mandatory in modern games such as borderless window and save management, but it's also split the already divided mod community from two major sources to fucking four. Everything can now be on Nexus, Nexus SE, Workshop or SE's proprietary mod place.

Essentially; I can't remember how you play this game without a mod that lets your beard and hair grow over time and don't have the know how to make one myself.

Yeah, I have been seeing that myself. I expect that most mods will finally get upgraded to SE when the SKSE64 gets released and there are no more excuses. But right now, it sucks because when I am looking at mods, sometimes I click on a link to another mod in the description that I might like and it's the regular Skyrim version of that mod.

I look at skyedye and just think "there is no way this motherfucker gets around to updating this"

Tube wrote: »
    I look at skyedye and just think "there is no way this motherfucker gets around to updating this"

I wouldn't get concerned over it until Script Extender gets released. I bet a lot of people are waiting for that, regardless if they use it, since its the backbone of modding.

But I want to play Skyrim noooooowwwwwwwww

and without growable beards what's the poiiiiiiiinnnnnnnt

But I want to play Skyrim noooooowwwwwwwww

and without growable beards what's the poiiiiiiiinnnnnnnt

Be honest with us, Tube.

its not growable beards you want, is it?

Its growable downunder beards, isn't it?

pfft that mod got updated right away

edited January 2017
    Has anyone messed with FNIS before? I'm trying to follow these Youtube instructions but they are for normal Skyrim and for older versions of NMM. I can't seem to get the other mods to show up on the Generator that is required to get them to work.

Edit: Nevermind. Seems that NMM and FNIS aren't friendly, so I did a manual install of FNIS and now they are working.

Grunt's Ghosts on
    edited January 2017
    I know the go to UI for Skyrim requires Script Extender, but is there anything that can make the default interface in remastered less.. eye AIDS?

Buttcleft on
    It's not nearly as good as SkyUI, but QD Inventory does help a bit. Unfortunately, it doesn't change the Magic menu, so that's still ass.

It's not nearly as good as SkyUI, but QD Inventory does help a bit. Unfortunately, it doesn't change the Magic menu, so that's still ass.

Those screenshots don't look any different from the default UI, aside from a horrible font.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I know the go to UI for Skyrim requires Script Extender, but is there anything that can make the default interface in remastered less.. eye AIDS?

Don't recall which version number it was, but one of the older SkyUI versions works in the remaster without the Extender.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt

Those screenshots don't look any different from the default UI, aside from a horrible font.

Wh-what? You're saying it doesn't look different from this?

evlnl940yzrv.jpg

evlnl940yzrv.jpg

That looks different from the QD inventory page pictures.
    the images on the QD Inventory page look exactly like the default item UI, with an uglier font.

edited January 2017

evlnl940yzrv.jpg

the images on the QD Inventory page look exactly like the default item UI, with an uglier font.

I guess I don't know what you mean. The pic I showed was the default inventory screen for Skyrim. You are possibly talking about something else.

Either way, I don't disagree that QD Inventory looks ugly, but it's an actual PC interface which is not something I can say about Skyrim's default, which was clearly designed (poorly) for consoles.

Toxic Pickle on

evlnl940yzrv.jpg

I guess I don't know what you mean. The pic I showed was the default inventory screen for Skyrim. You are possibly talking about something else.

Either way, I don't disagree that QD Inventory looks ugly, but it's an actual PC interface which is not something I can say about Skyrim's default, which was clearly designed (poorly) for consoles.

Is that in the remastered version? cause my inventory does not look like that, and I have no UI mod.

I like the default ui

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I like the default ui

On PC?

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    Yep. I think it's fine. There's a few things I don't like (like multiple hand hotkeys are a little janky) but largely I like it.

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Yep. I think it's fine. There's a few things I don't like (like multiple hand hotkeys are a little janky) but largely I like it.

I mean, I don't think it's the giant dumpster fire that most people try to make it out to be, but it is very clunky. Separating everything into different menu categories that you have to cycle through instead of a convenient list of everything is the main irritant for me.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    So a friend messaged me on Facebook earlier to tell me about how she discovered a way in Skyrim to get a brand new character to level 30 in like five hours. Spoiled her messages for length
    My newest character, shadowyrm
    She's a sneaky illusiony conjuring beast
    Before grabbing gear from the chest, take the sword and whack hadvar silly
    Gets 1-hand up. I stopped at 38 out of boredom.
    Torture room. Grab dagger. Proceed with hadvar and assistant until they leave, then go back. The torturer is standing, back exposed. Sneak attack him with daggers, allowing his health to fully recover between strikes so he doesn't go aggro
    Could get 100 sneaking that way. I stopped at 70 because bored
    Finish that stuff
    Go to winterhold
    Do the illusion guy's college business quest
    Save before activating each focal point
    Randomly it may give you a Soul gem or a big boost to magic regeneration for two real world hours
    Buy courage from him and cast it like no tomorrow
    You've got effectively infinite magic
    Then go find phinis, get soul trap, go out, kill a goat, spam its dead body with soul trap
    You'll be 100 illusion and conjuration in no time
    Go get the last couple of focal points
    Travel to riverwood
    Go do bleak falls barrow
    Heal yourself in the blade trap
    Restoration will rise quickly
    Soooo yeah
    I'm level 30
    I made this character like five hours ago.
    She's almost ready for the dragonborn content
    Fully perked illusion means i can manipulate the battlefield like a pro
    Once they go down, maxed necromancy branch of conjuration means i can bring the two best fallen back up to keep fighting
    I'm a puppet master with a dagger as backup

JtgVX0H.png
    I try to play interesting things in skyrim.

I always end up a sneaky archer though.

edited January 2017
    I'm currently going war axe, Destruction magic, light armor vampire lord with mine. Just realized today while messing with CBBE that her head is glitched and so I'm trying to fix it or I'd post pics.

Picture:
    sz89a4dhylm9.jpg

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I played a shield character recently and it made me want shields in fallout 4, it would be a great way to make front on melee not suck ass because you could close the gap by using the shield to block projectiles and such

I have trouble playing anything but one-handed / shield (and/or magic). I love the idea of 2-handers, but as I always play with darker nights/interiors, I need to be able to bring out a torch when there are no lights. With a 2-hander, that means putting my weapon away.

I almost always invest in archery as well, as the magic I use tends to be alteration and illusion. Sometimes conjuration. It's a bit of a rut.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I have trouble playing anything but one-handed / shield (and/or magic). I love the idea of 2-handers, but as I always play with darker nights/interiors, I need to be able to bring out a torch when there are no lights. With a 2-hander, that means putting my weapon away.

I almost always invest in archery as well, as the magic I use tends to be alteration and illusion. Sometimes conjuration. It's a bit of a rut.

Clearly the answer is to duct tape a torch to your 2-hander.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.