As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV THREAD] I've Ruled the Fart Inadmissible

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I am so excited for Making History

Need more Adam Pally in my life

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    jesus fuck this week's sweet/vicious cuts down to the bone

it's definitely the best episode of the season

Yeah it did. It completely makes you understand Jules

But also I feel like every new episode I say "this is the best episode yet"

which is not exactly a bad thing to say about a series

i plan on marathoning the whole thing again when the season is finished, especially since jules' story is supposed to be completed by season end to see how it holds up as one long story

my theory is i will notice more of ophelia's growth, as, while i love her, eliza bennet is just a force of nature in this show

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Mr. G wrote: »
    What's everyone's favorite infomercial that runs at 5 am right before the channel switches to their usual programming

I've seen this one on DirectTV at my in laws. The guide says the programming is "Are you Pooping Enough?

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    jesus christ this episode of blackish almost broke me

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Who wants to see the newest (extended) trailer for The 100 with it's incredibly tone deaf tagline?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNxRaoyHRO0

sig.gif
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't like The 100 but Who Will Survive is a tagline every action or drama show has used at some point so I don't see the issue

It's tone deaf because of the way the writers/producers handled the previous season.

sig.gif
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Well, okay
    I'm not sure that means they can't ever reference character death or narrative tension again
    But I'm kinda on the outside of the whole thing so I'll defer

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
    I think the issue is that in season 1-2, most or all of the character deaths were natural consequences of the story, whereas in season 3 people were being killed off more for shock value. A trailer emphasizing that there will likely be additional deaths suggests that they have not learned from their mistakes, and might even be doubling down.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    So I didn't know anything about Sneaky Pete other than Bryan Cranston being involved

But I saw an ad and it is a show about Giovanni Ribisi as a con artist in debt to Mob Boss Bryan Cranston whaaaaaat

What
    I've never heard of this
    https://youtu.be/KCM-I4j-Rv4

Important notice: the showrunner for this series is Graham Yost, showrunner for Justified and producer on The Americans

He and a lot of the old veterans from Justified moved over to this show

I will now 100% try this show because of this new information

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    So I didn't know anything about Sneaky Pete other than Bryan Cranston being involved

But I saw an ad and it is a show about Giovanni Ribisi as a con artist in debt to Mob Boss Bryan Cranston whaaaaaat

What
    I've never heard of this
    https://youtu.be/KCM-I4j-Rv4

Important notice: the showrunner for this series is Graham Yost, showrunner for Justified and producer on The Americans

He and a lot of the old veterans from Justified moved over to this show

I will now 100% try this show because of this new information

Well, shit, so they did.

In addition to the obvious inclusion of Character Actress Margo Martindale, it looks like we've got Jacob Pitt (Tim), Karolina Wydra (Mara Paxton), and Brad William Henke (Coover Bennett). And all of them in multi-episode roles, according to IMDB.

Straightzi on
    Atlanta will not return until 2018 due to Donald Glover's commitments playing Lando in the Han Solo movie

6F32U1X.png
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Oh, well that information changes me from maybe i'll check that out if I hear good things to yeah I'm definitely getting on board for this.

I hope the first episode of Sneaky Pete just involves Bryan Cranston saying the show's name in dozens of different ways in that Walter White "I'm very angry right now" voice

sneaky PETE

SNEAKy pete

sneakY pete

6F32U1X.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I hope the first episode of Sneaky Pete just involves Bryan Cranston saying the show's name in dozens of different ways in that Walter White "I'm very angry right now" voice

sneaky PETE

SNEAKy pete

sneakY pete

sneaky peTe

Just blow out the boom mic with that T

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Last episode of Gotham season 1:
    Barbara is still pretty garbage.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I wonder if Gotham will ever introduce Baby Barbara Gordon and if she will be Jim Gordon's niece

I don't think they ever have explained in the comics why Jim Gordon's wife and daughter/niece have the same name.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    It's Always Sunny is two for two. I'm sure we'll have ourselves a "Frank's Brother" episode this season, but so far these two episodes have been enough (even with the borrowed Simpsons slide gag). Mac's joy at being "pleasured" at the end of the episode was also gold, as was Dennis's Usual Suspects moment and Franks AIDS unfortunateness. Just a great episode all around for all three groups.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Someone who writes for Superstore definitely worked in retail.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Pobody's nerfect!

I wonder if Gotham will ever introduce Baby Barbara Gordon and if she will be Jim Gordon's niece

I don't think they ever have explained in the comics why Jim Gordon's wife and daughter/niece have the same name.
    I mean, it's comics, so it's probably not a coincidence, but in real life, I'd say that's a perfectly good explanation.

Also Comics-Barbara is vastly different than Gotham-Barbara, so I could see someone willingly name their kid after her.

sig.gif
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Sorce wrote: »
    Who wants to see the newest (extended) trailer for The 100 with it's incredibly tone deaf tagline?

I appreciate the tagline as it reinforces that I don't need to watch the show anymore

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh shit you guys. I just got my official MST3k Revival League membership card and a sweet Gizmonic Institute foil seal to place on my membership certificate! I am so going to carry this around with me like a huge nerd!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    That's so cool tim!

I can't wait to see the new episodes!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    That's so cool tim!

I can't wait to see the new episodes!

I am going to stick the card into my SHIELD badge where the ID goes and flash it at kids at school. They will be so confused!

The back of the card is neat as well though.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Sorce wrote: »

I appreciate the tagline as it reinforces that I don't need to watch the show anymore

Isn't it standard practice that the folks who create the show and cut the trailer are two different groups?

I'm holding onto hope that the show learned from its mistakes from season 3, but who knows.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm still...interested in what happens with the 100 this year. Not from a storytelling perspective, really, since they've burned off most of my interest in what's going to happen, but how they handle the show. Before last season, the CW really tried to spin up the hype for the season, and there were a number of articles and columns pushing people to watch the show, like...it had a pretty solid critical reputation after season two, and they really leaned into it. And they were...pretty actively pushing it on social media.

I don't fully know what the social media situation, since I've never really followed anyone from the show, but I know the showrunner basically got run off twitter (it didn't help that his response to any backlash was incredibly tone-deaf and stupid), but they definitely skipped the TCA conference, and they definitely did a panel at it last year. If it weren't for the trailers, I would have kind of guessed that they were trying to just sneak it in under the radar. Shit, I know that a huge part of the backlash last season was some of the pre-season hype they did.

I mean, marketing isn't necessarily going to be super accurate to what any given show is actually going to do, so who knows what any of that all means, but choosing "who will survive" as a tagline definitely indicates that they don't really think they're going to get the people they pissed off back in the fold without drastic changes they aren't going to make which is...I mean, it's probably not wrong. They burned bridges pretty conclusively.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Pobody's nerfect!

That bit was so good

Of course a bunch of (perfectly nice) total squares would find that hilarious

Also give Janet all the awards

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I don't suppose anyone here watches Nashville do they? They've shifted from ABC to CMT this season and it's come with a fairly noticeable improvement in the pacing of the show. It feels a bit slowed down, where not everything is a blown up life or death event. So far the wife and I have been pretty impressed.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Good Place
    Pobody's nerfect fell really flat for me and seemed to go on too long

Really like all the romance stuff. Love Jason/Janet, love Chidi's stuff. Really hope this storyline doesn't result in Real Eleanor leaving, I'd like her to get bumped to main cast

Loved the Real Jianyu swerve, very clever, doesn't retread old ground

edited January 2017
    Also

Good Place
    That's a really good pick for afterlife judge, and not one of the Schur actors I had considered

Jimothy on
    edited January 2017
    “2010’s really contemporary for us,” he said. “[Noah Hawley] is enjoying that technology, in many ways, is supposed to unite, and perhaps that’s not what happens at all. … Carrie has a scene where she’s going to be on a plane, and she notices everyone around her has their heads down and their face in their phone, and no one is communicating, no one’s talking. I think from her perspective, that seems very alien. Noah’s going to have a lot of fun commenting and embracing the world as it is, almost today.”
    I AM NOW EXTREMELY WORRIED ABOUT SEASON 3 OF FARGO BECAUSE THIS SOUNDS JUST AWFUL

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    That's an interesting take. Now that I think about it, it's crazy that no one's made that observation before.

"You know, some days I think social media has actually made us more ANTI-social!" - the closing line from the Oscar-winning season finale of season 3 of Fargo, that's right, they gave an Oscar to a TV show

6F32U1X.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That sounds dumb but I trust Noah Hawley

CYpGAPn.png
    That sounds dumb but I trust Noah Hawley

I would trust him more if his book that came out a few months ago was not similarly kind of tone-deaf

6F32U1X.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Fargo is good enough that I would guess that this could even be a joke.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I have faith in Hawley here two seasons have done very well with themes.

I mean Justified would occaisionally dip into "kids these days" but that was mostly to show Raylan as an aging person.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    MILLENIALS, MAN.

This discussion has been closed.