As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Can we have research buddies that make Gear with certain traits to trade and research?

I would happily do this thing. What do you need?

If we get 10 members into Ash Housewares, we can use that guild's bank space instead of the primary guild for this purpose.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I need:
    Axe - Precise, Nirn
    Mace - Charged, Precise, Infused, Training, Nirn
    Sword - Powered, Training, Nirn
    Battle Axe - Powered, Charged, Precise, Defending, Training, Nirn
    Maul - Powered, Precise, Training, Sharpened, Nirn
    Greatsword - Training, Nirn
    Dagger - Charged, Infused, Sharpened, Decisive, Nirn
    Cuirass - Prosperous, Divines, Nirn
    Sabatons - Prosperous, Divines, Nirn
    Gauntlers - Divines, Nirn
    Helm - Sturdy, Prosperous, Nirn
    Greaves - Infused, Divines, Nirn
    Pauldron - Training, Infused, Divines, Nirn
    Belt - Nirn

clothing:
    Robe - Nirn
    Shoes - Impen, Training, Nirn
    Gloves - Divines, Nirn
    Hat - Well-fitted, Nirn
    Breeches - Reinforced, Well-fitted, Training, Divines, Nirn
    Epaulets - Prosperous, Nirn
    Sash - Well-fitted, Prosperous, Nirn
    Jack - Impen, Nirn
    Boots - Impen, Divines, Nirn
    Bracers - Impen, Training, Prosp, Nirn
    Helmet - Impen, Infused, Divines, Nirn
    Guards - Sturdy, Well-Fitted, Nirn
    Arm Cops - Reinforced, Divines, Nirn
    Belt - Impen, Prosperous, Divines, Nirn

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I need:
    Axe - Precise, Nirn
    Mace - Charged, Precise, Infused, Training, Nirn
    Sword - Powered, Training, Nirn
    Battle Axe - Powered, Charged, Precise, Defending, Training, Nirn
    Maul - Powered, Precise, Training, Sharpened, Nirn
    Greatsword - Training, Nirn
    Dagger - Charged, Infused, Sharpened, Decisive, Nirn
    Cuirass - Prosperous, Divines, Nirn
    Sabatons - Prosperous, Divines, Nirn
    Gauntlers - Divines, Nirn
    Helm - Sturdy, Prosperous, Nirn
    Greaves - Infused, Divines, Nirn
    Pauldron - Training, Infused, Divines, Nirn
    Belt - Nirn

clothing:
    Robe - Nirn
    Shoes - Impen, Training, Nirn
    Gloves - Divines, Nirn
    Hat - Well-fitted, Nirn
    Breeches - Reinforced, Well-fitted, Training, Divines, Nirn
    Epaulets - Prosperous, Nirn
    Sash - Well-fitted, Prosperous, Nirn
    Jack - Impen, Nirn
    Boots - Impen, Divines, Nirn
    Bracers - Impen, Training, Prosp, Nirn
    Helmet - Impen, Infused, Divines, Nirn
    Guards - Sturdy, Well-Fitted, Nirn
    Arm Cops - Reinforced, Divines, Nirn
    Belt - Impen, Prosperous, Divines, Nirn

I just made and tossed in a sharpened dagger and all the divines leather into the PA guild bank. I have most of the leather stuff researched but can't always keep track of which bits and less on the head and shoulders since those are lower priority with Monster sets being Best in Slot usually.

Nirnhorned stuff is going to require deeper collaboration since you get a grand total of one item with that trait if you finish up the two group quest storylines and one soloable storyline in Craglorn and the material needed itself is a rare drop from Craglorn nodes. My plan is to start making a bigger stab at those after finishing up Cadwell's Gold.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Aw man I just spent an evening with RPers and you know what? The RPers in this game are mostly good and sweet people and lovely and that's great. My House Hlaalu trader just drunkenly spent like, an hour telling everyone about her plans to 1. show everyone that mead really IS good and 2. bring Ashlander housewares to all of Tamriel

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I just ate A BUNCH of Intricate stuff, so that should free up some room.

I got and deposited over 10 more just from a light night of 2 veteran dungeons, a few Gold Coast dailies, and crafting writs so eat up more of them.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I ate a few intricates last night. They were delicious.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    How's the crafting in this? I've been trying to find some kind of laid back gathering/crafting that doesn't just have me play a singleplayer game or go back in time when Ultima Online was cutting edge. I understand there's housing coming along with furniture in the next month or so?

The Ash Housewears bit in the OP and last few pages seemed intriguing, but how much could a new player contribute to something like that?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Aegis wrote: »
    How's the crafting in this? I've been trying to find some kind of laid back gathering/crafting that doesn't just have me play a singleplayer game or go back in time when Ultima Online was cutting edge. I understand there's housing coming along with furniture in the next month or so?

The Ash Housewears bit in the OP and last few pages seemed intriguing, but how much could a new player contribute to something like that?

The crafting itself is pretty good. You never have to grind out stuff for skills since there are daily quests for crafted items scaled to your skill levels that reward crafting experience and deconstructing things for materials yields more experience than crafting it. There's even a trait some looted items can have that makes them give extra crafting experience when broken down, hence the talk about Intricate items earlier. You won't find any guides on the best way to level up smithing/etc because it's already laid out for you in the game.

And collecting crafting motifs that let you learn different ways to make your gear look different is a goal in and of itself.

The downsides of the system are 1) that the items used to give gear, potions, and enchantments their traits and quality remains the same throughout skill levels so until you build up a good hoard it can be tough parting with the stuff that boosts the quality of gear you craft to use while leveling. You get back a greater portion of items used to make an item you crafted when you break it down (at the expense of less crafting experience) but it's far from a complete refund. Use up 15 steel ingots, a fire opal, and 2 honing stones to make a green quality sharpened sword and you'll get back 1 steel ingot, the fire opal, and 1 honing stone when you break it down though to be fair that fire opal is the most valuable part.

2) There is no cosmetic transmutation system. So when you reach a stage of the game where the best items for shoulder armor are really ugly shoulders that don't match anything but the corresponding really ugly helmet, you're stuck wearing really ugly shoulder armor and any super stylish shoulder armor motifs go to waste.

3) A lot of inventory management. In addition the many materials, in order to be able to craft equipment with a certain trait you need to research an item of the same trait and type. Research is not instant and each trait you learn for a piece of armor/weaponry increases how long the next trait takes so you have to collect a lot of gear and then make sure you don't accidentally deconstruct it.

Still, many crafted sets are considered end game viable currently which is rare in a loot drop focused game like this and a lot of the busywork has been streamlined.

Housing decor crafting is something we're waiting to learn more about. It's still a while before it makes its way from the test server to live servers. But some of the ingredients used are the style items that drop from level 1.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Yeah what is the deal with nirn stuff? I know learning it is hard, but I don't even know what it takes to make something like that after you've learned it, what possibly special mats are required and what you do to get those mats. Or like...if there's a day cooldown after crafting a nirn item or something. Is it unreasonable to ask someone to just make a nirn thing?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I think you only get the norm material from Craglorn

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Yeah what is the deal with nirn stuff? I know learning it is hard, but I don't even know what it takes to make something like that after you've learned it, what possibly special mats are required and what you do to get those mats. Or like...if there's a day cooldown after crafting a nirn item or something. Is it unreasonable to ask someone to just make a nirn thing?

The trait material is either a fortified or potent nirncrux depending on whether it's a weapon or item. Nirncrux is a rare find in resource nodes in Craglorn. As for learning the trait, everyone can get one random freebie item from doing all the Craglorn major story quest lines and I think that Maelstrom Arena drops can sometimes come in Nirnhorned too so it largely means having to get items made by other players who got a different freebie item and slowly filling in the gaps. It's not uncommon to find nirnhorned items on traders specifically made for trait research and obviously a 9-trait crafter can make stuff with it if provided the nirncrux. Expect getting the nirncrux to hurt the wallet though, one type goes for 2-3k, the other 9-10k each.

Incidentally, trying to get the freebie is why every now and then I'll try to see if any of our crafters want to get together and tackle some of the Craglorn group quests and group delves. I think I'm geared up enough that I might be able to solo some of them now but I also recall getting one shot by one of the group delve bosses the last time I poked him.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    GUESS WHO JUST HIT CP LEVEL hint its me :O

That means that next on my list...

* Kick Molag Bal's slimy butt and get my soul back
    * Do a run on all the Skyshards and the rest of the Mages Guild books
    * Craft some OK-ish gear so I can start the process of punching dungeons so I can get tha gud gear

@Steel Angel this means that incidentally I am VERY CLOSE to being able to join the Nirn party with you! But I know how Craglorn goes and I know for a fact that I'm not quite there yet.

Also, while my DK is currently specc'd as magicka DPS, I may respec her as healz later on down the road. But that'll be wayyy down the road. I'm pretty happy right now being a Dunmer who BURNS EVERYTHING.

• Options
    My brother and I were doing Craglorn stuff ok as a party of two and he was only level 20ish

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    I'd be down for Craglorn stuff too! I almost have vigor unlocked (man that took longer than I'd like) so I can heal a bit, probably try to finish that up this evening. I want to get caltrops unlocked also but I'm a bit tired of Cyrodiil so that'll probably have to wait.

I'm gualicho_shinyae on eso

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Yeah I would do some Craglorn things sometime. I'm not really on regularly anymore, I mean I log in once a day to buy HORSE UPGRADES but ...

If you wanna say something like, Saturday the 14th at 6:00 PM eastern, or something, I would try to be around for that! But I'm only a DPS person.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Someone put together a spreadsheet of the furniture recipes on the test server. Bottom line is to start looting all the style materials.

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/5n5qcm/the_1003_furniture_plans_of_eso_271/
    GUESS WHO JUST HIT CP LEVEL hint its me :O

That means that next on my list...

* Kick Molag Bal's slimy butt and get my soul back
    * Do a run on all the Skyshards and the rest of the Mages Guild books
    * Craft some OK-ish gear so I can start the process of punching dungeons so I can get tha gud gear

"Steel Angel" this means that incidentally I am VERY CLOSE to being able to join the Nirn party with you! But I know how Craglorn goes and I know for a fact that I'm not quite there yet.

Also, while my DK is currently specc'd as magicka DPS, I may respec her as healz later on down the road. But that'll be wayyy down the road. I'm pretty happy right now being a Dunmer who BURNS EVERYTHING.

When you unlock Ancestor Silk/Ruby Ash/Rubedite at CP 150, save up lots because oh man does the CP160+ gear take a lot of materials. We're talking about 110 Ancestor Silk for gloves and going up from there.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Someone put together a spreadsheet of the furniture recipes on the test server. Bottom line is to start looting all the style materials.

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/5n5qcm/the_1003_furniture_plans_of_eso_271/

Well, I already dump every single style material I find into the Pax Arcadia guild bank, so, there's that.
    When you unlock Ancestor Silk/Ruby Ash/Rubedite at CP 150, save up lots because oh man does the CP160+ gear take a lot of materials. We're talking about 110 Ancestor Silk for gloves and going up from there.

I am not surprised :| I do hoard things at least, and I'm trying to do the Crafting Writs every day, so, maybe that'll help. Alas that my bank is so small and I have no sub... though by the time I get there I might be able to afford 10 more slots just for Rubedite & such.

Also idk, I'm used to that shit, I play GW2, remember? Know how much it fucking took me to make my Ascended gear? It was a lot :|

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options

Well, I already dump every single style material I find into the Pax Arcadia guild bank, so, there's that.

I am not surprised :| I do hoard things at least, and I'm trying to do the Crafting Writs every day, so, maybe that'll help. Alas that my bank is so small and I have no sub... though by the time I get there I might be able to afford 10 more slots just for Rubedite & such.

Also idk, I'm used to that shit, I play GW2, remember? Know how much it fucking took me to make my Ascended gear? It was a lot :|

We do have a lot of the racial style materials in the bank. I'm a little disappointed it's just the racial style materials for now though. What furniture could I craft out of my minotaur style materials . . .

The CP160+ gear crafting won't take anywhere near as much time as a set of Ascended gear in terms of materials. While the materials used for each item jumps up quite a bit, the crafting writs take a lot less material at max crafting level. You only make 3 destro staves instead of 9 and they can be at the 15ish wood each CP150 level, not the $forest CP160 level.

The tougher part will be having enough traits researched for the crafted sets though there magicka types have it a bit easier since the preferred set isn't Twice Born Star.

Steam Profile
  • Options

We do have a lot of the racial style materials in the bank. I'm a little disappointed it's just the racial style materials for now though. What furniture could I craft out of my minotaur style materials . . .

The CP160+ gear crafting won't take anywhere near as much time as a set of Ascended gear in terms of materials. While the materials used for each item jumps up quite a bit, the crafting writs take a lot less material at max crafting level. You only make 3 destro staves instead of 9 and they can be at the 15ish wood each CP150 level, not the $forest CP160 level.

The tougher part will be having enough traits researched for the crafted sets though there magicka types have it a bit easier since the preferred set isn't Twice Born Star.

I actually think most of the preferred sets for DK DPS are drops anyway. Crafting just holds you over till you git gud enough to start punching the right dungeons.

• Options

I actually think most of the preferred sets for DK DPS are drops anyway. Crafting just holds you over till you git gud enough to start punching the right dungeons.

It's a mix of that plus getting the right traits to drop on the right pieces can take a while. Having 8 traits that can drop and the pieces themselves randomized does not favor the player. I've had runs where I get 2 or 3 of the same light belt but with different traits, all of which sucked.

Steam Profile
  • Options

It's a mix of that plus getting the right traits to drop on the right pieces can take a while. Having 8 traits that can drop and the pieces themselves randomized does not favor the player. I've had runs where I get 2 or 3 of the same light belt but with different traits, all of which sucked.

Ugh, I will say, that's one of the two things that's actually better about GW2's gearing system -- even if Ascended gear is a long, painful slog, you still NEVER have to rely on random drops to get the exact combination you want, because either it's craftable, or you can buy it on the Trading Post. The only annoying long RNG battles are cosmetic ones, which for all the whining people on Reddit do, is honestly not a bad thing, especially when compared with, well, this whole thing of "But I need this one specific piece of gear to be effective for Trials."

• Options

Ugh, I will say, that's one of the two things that's actually better about GW2's gearing system -- even if Ascended gear is a long, painful slog, you still NEVER have to rely on random drops to get the exact combination you want, because either it's craftable, or you can buy it on the Trading Post. The only annoying long RNG battles are cosmetic ones, which for all the whining people on Reddit do, is honestly not a bad thing, especially when compared with, well, this whole thing of "But I need this one specific piece of gear to be effective for Trials."

It's one of the really annoying old holdovers in design that the industry had largely moved passed. Even WoW had shifted in part over to a token/currency system for a lot of drops when I had stopped playing and at least didn't have 8 possible variations on the stuff you had to make fall out of a boss. A shame too since a lot of different sets are useful under different situations but collecting more than a tiny number is a such a pain.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Seems my nagging subtle influence paid off, and I lured convinced a friend to buy the game!

However, she's not getting the game registration code from Steam and I can't find that link where pretty much all other games show your CD key. Anyone know what's up with that?

Can't remember how it worked when I got it on Steam. It's still downloading, it might show up the first time you launch the game.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Seems my nagging subtle influence paid off, and I lured convinced a friend to buy the game!

However, she's not getting the game registration code from Steam and I can't find that link where pretty much all other games show your CD key. Anyone know what's up with that?

Can't remember how it worked when I got it on Steam. It's still downloading, it might show up the first time you launch the game.

I don't actually remember needing to register a key. Creating an account on the web site and logging into it from the steam-launched client seemed to automatically link it.

In other news, I found a writeup on a lot of basics of decoration crafting as it exists on the PTS:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/313199/everything-you-need-to-know-about-crafting-furnishing-in-homestead-101

Crafting surveys are a good thing to save up.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    That would explain why people are trying so hard to buy them in zone chat.

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    Hey folks, wanted to get back to this game and could use some advice on class/spec choices.

I will largely solo, but would like to jump into small groups on occasion. I prefer melee, and wearing heavy armor, but would prefer to do damage rather than tanking. Or at least, I don't like the pressure of tanking in dungeons, and would like to not be too slow in downing monsters solo.

Any class/spec that fits me?

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    Hey folks, wanted to get back to this game and could use some advice on class/spec choices.

I will largely solo, but would like to jump into small groups on occasion. I prefer melee, and wearing heavy armor, but would prefer to do damage rather than tanking. Or at least, I don't like the pressure of tanking in dungeons, and would like to not be too slow in downing monsters solo.

Heavy armor focus is solely the domain of tanks since weapon damage is tied to stamina totals. It's not uncommon for a magicka class to use one piece of heavy armor for an Undaunted passive but stamina users tend to go all medium armor in groups. Solo, one piece of heavy sometimes gets used.

Any of the classes can go stamina dps though Templar is probably the least common right now. Dragonknights bring some extra DoTs to stamina builds, Sorcs bring various buffs to damage and sustain, Nightblades have some buffs plus insta-invis for solo tomfoolery.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I really want to respec my khajiit Nightblade into something that solely exists to steal stuff so I can make some money. Just stick all the points into Stealth passives and sneak around.

*edit* Also, I've decided -- when I finally get freaking paid this month, I'm going to go ahead and see about the DLC multi-pack. I think you can get ALL the DLC for about $40?

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    I really want to respec my khajiit Nightblade into something that solely exists to steal stuff so I can make some money. Just stick all the points into Stealth passives and sneak around.

*edit* Also, I've decided -- when I finally get freaking paid this month, I'm going to go ahead and see about the DLC multi-pack. I think you can get ALL the DLC for about $40?

The megapack is the first 4 DLCs, so everything but Shadow of the Hist, which is just 2 dungeons many people don't like due to feeling even more padded out than existing dungeons.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Depending on the race-specific furniture, you need the race’s appropriate style material (ex: Obsidian). Parses vary from 6 (small kitchen cups, green quality) to 45, with the Target Skeleton being an outlier with 206 Bones required.

:lol:

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Heavy armor focus is solely the domain of tanks since weapon damage is tied to stamina totals. It's not uncommon for a magicka class to use one piece of heavy armor for an Undaunted passive but stamina users tend to go all medium armor in groups. Solo, one piece of heavy sometimes gets used.

Any of the classes can go stamina dps though Templar is probably the least common right now. Dragonknights bring some extra DoTs to stamina builds, Sorcs bring various buffs to damage and sustain, Nightblades have some buffs plus insta-invis for solo tomfoolery.

Hmm that's too bad about heavy armor...

Templar doesn't seem as interesting to me so far, at least the spear line. May be dragon knight or nightblade.

My main issue with Templar so far is that it feels like I should just spam the spear ability until I run out of stamina.

I guess I would be ok with tanking if some of them are good at dealing damage as well.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    People have put together a preview of all the houses minus the free hovels for the poors: http://eso.mmo-fashion.com/homes-list/

Ravenhurst seems to have a nice combination of being close to a waypoint and far away from Reaper's March zone chat.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Templar doesn't seem as interesting to me so far, at least the spear line. May be dragon knight or nightblade.

My main issue with Templar so far is that it feels like I should just spam the spear ability until I run out of stamina.

I play a stamina-based melee sorcerer swinging a 2-handed sword, built around the (stamina-morphed) Hurricane skill and I use a full set of heavy armor for aesthetic reasons and it works out just fine. The game doesn't really need min-maxing. Just play what's fun/interesting.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

I guess I would be ok with tanking if some of them are good at dealing damage as well.

Stamina users often will wear heavy armor in pvp and use a two handed weapon for the extra control and sustain it brings mind you so there is a common place for it, but I imagine if you don't want the pressure of tanking pvp isn't something you're screaming to jump into.

If you do stick with stamplar, the good? news is that it seems people don't use the spear skills at all. Dual Wield's Flurry is the spam skill for each stamina class in groups (outside of groups, stamina nightblades can get more use out of Surprise Attack) outside of AoE situations where they spam Dual Wield's Steel Tornado instead.

That said, you won't get a sense of any stamina class's full rotation until you've got a good amount of dual wield, bow, and class skills unlocked. Class skills tend to be used for various buffs and debuffs, bow skills provide DoT effects, and dual wield provides some DoT effects and the spam skill used between light attacks.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Yeah, I really think the key to this game is to do what's fun.

I'm a Dragonknight Tank, but I'm probably not optimized for it. I'm all 1h and Shield skills with the werewolf ultimate for funsies, but so far I haven't really had any problems in dungeons.

Granted, I don't PVP because it's just too stressful for me

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, I really think the key to this game is to do what's fun.

There are enough skill points that you can dump a lot into stuff just for fun. I certainly don't NEED the points that make my bounties burn off more quickly, the reduced bounties for assault and murder, the reduced payouts to fences and guards to clear my bounties . . . uh, you get the idea . . . but I have enough points for that on top of all the meta relevant skills plus the ones that might see some use for one fight in one dungeon I might do plus 5 out of 6 crafting skills.

That said, a lot of people enjoy doing the harder dungeons or Undaunted hard mode pledges or generally feeling like they're as reasonably optimal as they can be in group content.

Plus I was getting reamed in a lot of the soloable content until I read up more on combat mechanics and skills. More than a few quest lines end with fighting a chain or group of named mobs.
    I'm a Dragonknight Tank, but I'm probably not optimized for it. I'm all 1h and Shield skills with the werewolf ultimate for funsies, but so far I haven't really had any problems in dungeons.

I still do not have a good read on the tank meta. It seems far less unified than the DPS or healer metas. But even many of the veteran dungeons aren't terribly demanding and I helped coach a CP 30ish tank through veteran Wayrest Sewers 2 earlier in the week despite him being a player that didn't know how to break out of CC before that run.

While the base skill floor requirement of a tank and healer are higher, I suspect approaching the skill ceiling matters more for the dps given that they're the ones that have to burn down the adds, run around trying to revive people while the tank or healer focus on other things, and ending the fight before the healer runs out of stamina to keep dodging AoE or other special boss attacks.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I guess my main worry about tanking in general is the WoW approach of the tank having to know exactly how to move through dungeons and maneuver in bosses before hand, while dps can usually learn on the fly because they follow the tank's lead.

Outside of that, I'm actually happy with tanking, I just don't like that MMOs give that role such a disproportionate amount of responsibility.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I guess my main worry about tanking in general is the WoW approach of the tank having to know exactly how to move through dungeons and maneuver in bosses before hand, while dps can usually learn on the fly because they follow the tank's lead.

Outside of that, I'm actually happy with tanking, I just don't like that MMOs give that role such a disproportionate amount of responsibility.

Good news then, there are plenty of fights in the game where the healers or dps can get the group killed too if they don't know it ahead of time.

As a whole, the fights against dungeon bosses is more complicated than similar fights in older (pre-GW2 and Wildstar) MMOs. The ones that used to be lower level dungeons tend to be simpler but anything in one of the later story zones, with a 2 in the name, or from the DLC is much more complex and involved for the non-tanks.

There's some ability to learn on the fly for the simpler ones but at least reading a guide is a must for the others (part of why the lack of up to date documentation for dungeons annoys me at times. Thankfully Reddit has started doing sticked dungeon discussion threads cycling through them.).

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    yeah tbh my approach to building my Magika DPS DK has been

> look at Deltia's gaming
    > decide that the builds there haven't been updated and that I don't give a fuck
    > Set everything on fire, forever

Similarly, I think tonight after work I may finally load my Khajiit again, respec her completely, run around killing bosses in Stormhaven until I have at least 3x Night Terror set, then run around killing bosses in Deshaan until I have 5x Night Mother's Embrace, ignore the "meta" and focus on becoming The Best Thief by having an itty-bitty stealth detection radius.

Related, IS there any way of knowing your ACTUAL Stealth Detection radius? Same with things like your Fire Resistance, Fire Damage, and other "hidden" stats

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    yeah tbh my approach to building my Magika DPS DK has been

> look at Deltia's gaming
    > decide that the builds there haven't been updated and that I don't give a fuck
    > Set everything on fire, forever

That actually reminds me, tamrielfoundry.com's theorycrafting forums are a much better source of build guides and, well, theorycrafting than Deltia's and should be considered for inclusion in the OP. Since it's user postings some classes are kept much more up to date than others (Stamina Nightblade especially has an active author behind its most comprehensive guide) and some are more in agreement than others but it's the best signal to noise ratio for this kind of thing I've found.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile