As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Friday, January 13, 2017 - Ban-ish

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2017 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Friday, January 13, 2017 - Ban-ish

Ban-ish

Ban-ish

http://campcomic.com/comic/392

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• DublinDublin Registered User regular
    Malachi looks so smug in the second to last panel, it made me laugh!

• EndrianEndrian Registered User new member
    I like how Brian just carries Seventeen under his arm for the trip home like she's his favorite football.

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    Poor Randall. He can't even catch a break and pretend to be in charge.

• SkizzSkizz Registered User regular
    Lots happening this week, cool.

• Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    and so it ends. what an adventure it was

• J-mentalJ-mental Registered User regular
    So many amazing details with every comic, but I can't get over Malachi's smug smile at the end. You know he's thinking: "Good thing -I- stepped in to save everyone today!"

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    And now he shall get his just dessert! I'm glad Brian didn't hurt anyone.

• xUsakoxUsako Registered User regular
    Ah, there she is! :D

• Christian LeBlancChristian LeBlanc Registered User regular
    Well, I guess that...ties everything up! ;D

This was a LOT of talking! I wonder if he was starting to stutter again at the end just because of the sheer volume of talking he'd done, or because the knife reminds him of old times, or because asking for his knife back made him nervous, or if stuttering is just something that never goes away, or if he doesn't stutter around Malachi and Seventeen because he's so comfortable around them...it might seem like a small detail, but Katie and Adam are geniuses, so I imagine there's a precise reason for it happening at that moment.

• kram1032kram1032 Registered User regular
    Suddenly Purdy :D
    This was a nice conclusion o this arc.

• ThesammichmasterThesammichmaster Registered User regular
    I don't have a voice for Brian in my head! WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!??!

• evileeyoreevileeyore Grognard 100 hurricane swampRegistered User regular
    Obviously Brian is voiced by a young James Earl Jones.

• CryptkickerCryptkicker Registered User regular
    I may be late to the party for this, but I noticed that Purdy seems to be the only camper who didn't get her shoes stolen. That implies to me that she's camp royalty. Or that she scares the bejeezus out of the shoe thief.

• SunBroSolaireSunBroSolaire Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    That 4th panel the blonde guy rubbing his neck, that was my exact reaction every time someone started crying as a kid. Little details like how those three each react differently but realistically to the situation is just another reason to absolutely love this comic.

PS: Purdy has a great git rekt face.

SunBroSolaire on
  • StonefootStonefoot Registered User regular
    Purdy isn't the only one who still has shoes. Malachi lost his but got them back early in the strip, could be partly just that he's still (I think) the most recently arrived camper. Linus (the librarian) also still has shoes. Being one of the oldest (and largest) campers may be the reason. I'm not certain that those three are the only ones.

Still, if civilization collapses and we all end up like these campers, in three generations there will only be one person left with boots. That will be Purdy's granddaughter.

Purdy, Linus, Malachi, and the knife juggling kid all have shoes still.

• FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    That jackass is in for it now...!

Randall's sleeve goes from being ripped to not ripped in panel 6, 9, 10.

• Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    Stutterers are often portrayed as losing their stutter or stammer under emotional stress, as here. (Robert Penn Warren does the same thing with Sugar Boy in "All the King's Men") In this case, the return of Brian's stutter shows his return to normality, in an otherwise emotionally-charged moment as he confronts Randall and politely asks for his knife back. We are all back to where we started.

Stammering is a poorly-understood medical condition. The best insight I had into it was from reading John Glenn's memoir. One night, with a couple of other Mercury 7 astronauts and their wives at his home, Glenn (flush with LIFE magazine money) showed off some of his new electronics, including a speech repeater that put a half-second delay into what everybody spoke into the microphone. Everybody broke up over how they all fumbled it. Except for Glenn's wife, Annie, whose stammer is now well-known (thanks, Tom Wolfe). Her speech came out clear and without a break. The delay somehow eliminated her stammer completely. I don't know that anybody has researched this phenomenon further. No help for Brian in any case.

edited January 2017
    There's also The Monster Study (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Study)
    It was a very unethical and monstrous stutter study done on orphan children.

briguy on
  • KaitensatsumaKaitensatsuma Registered User regular
    Called It.

• strangeangel24601strangeangel24601 Registered User regular
    That third panel makes me want to adopt Brian.

• SynDuoSynDuo John A. Galvan Somewhere over a rainbowRegistered User regular
    Pff Malachi cracked me up :P

• VisionAriVisionAri Registered User regular
    And this is the point at which Randall's day REALLY went bad.

• AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    briguy wrote: »

That happens because the camp is a magical place. Brian, why do you hate magic?

• NuurgleNuurgle Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    As someone who was reading this whole week at once, I desperately needed that Panel 5 Malachi to help bring me back from the end of the previous comic. Thank you, Katie and Adam, for continuing this heart-wrenching and belly-busting rollercoaster ride.

• JuniorRollJuniorRoll Registered User new member
    Thanks for the great story!

AdamRW wrote: »
    briguy wrote: »

That happens because the camp is a magical place. Brian, why do you hate magic?

How can I enjoy my comics with such logical inconsistencies? This is worse than when I found out Garfield has no reason to hate Monday!

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I love Brian's complete lack of f***s to give in the second-last panel.

• bansheekittybansheekitty Registered User regular
    @Peter Rogan That type of audio feedback device is actually used for people who stutter. I don't remember how exactly it is supposed to work (or whether they know exactly how it works), but that is something that some stutterers use.
    Also, I stutter, but mine gets worse under emotional stress (or excitement- any time I get worked up basically). The guy I knew with the feedback device, whose stutter was much worse than mine, did say that he became much more fluent when he was angry. I get way *less* fluent, which is extremely frustrating if I'm having an emotionally charged conversation with someone and I can't get my words out.

• Android 21 3/7Android 21 3/7 Registered User regular
    I just realized... Brian had shoes in the previous comic... He doesn't have them now... WHO DARES TAKE BRIAN'S SHOES?! PROTOKID?! Well, maybe he felt sorry for Protokid and gave them up willingly...

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    A brilliant end to another fantastic arc of Weedonwantcha. I was expecting a Brian related blood bath and much kicking off asses...

The only thing that took a beating, was my heart :'(. Brian is legit becoming one of my favourite all time fictional characters...

• StonefootStonefoot Registered User regular
    @Android 21 3/7 - Brian had shoes in the flashback. That was before he got to camp. Maybe protokid took them while he was asleep. Or Brian could be like me: I only wear shoes when I absolutely have to. (Note my avatar... and username.) ;-}}

(Aside: I would consider this one of my favorite comics regardless, but it's a definite plus for me that almost all the characters are barefoot all the time.)

• SideshowJonSideshowJon Registered User regular
    Smug Malachi makes my day

• SideshowJonSideshowJon Registered User regular
    Before this arc, did we know Brian stutters? I guess that's why he's quiet

Before this arc, did we know Brian stutters? I guess that's why he's quiet

No. Outside of the early comics, Brian almost never spoke.
    The only times I really can think he said anything after the early ones (Pootopia, I think is his biggest speech) is telling Seventeen "We do," and his ventriloquist act. There's probably more, but that's all that's coming to mind.

• SargeSarge Registered User regular
    Purdy is the only one is camp that has shoes, a jacket and a gun. She's one of the older campers (though not the oldest) and she lives in a treehouse. Therefore I proclaim her to be Princess Purdy, Countess of the county of Ropes Course and Lady Sheriff of the town of Treehouses. Long Live King Brian! Huzzah!

Sarge wrote: »
    Purdy is the only one is camp that has shoes, a jacket and a gun. She's one of the older campers (though not the oldest) and she lives in a treehouse. Therefore I proclaim her to be Princess Purdy, Countess of the county of Ropes Course and Lady Sheriff of the town of Treehouses. Long Live King Brian! Huzzah!

I think of Purdy as Generalissimo of the Ropes Course.