As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Trump Administration

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I mean I couldn't give a shit if the man has a pet, or special plates, or whatever. Since when does that actually matter to anything the President does?

Like, do we really need to be making excuses for Trump supporters to dismiss criticism because of some petty irrelevant shit? The guy is dangerously uninformed and incompetent; whether he has a fucking dog or not doesn't come into it at all

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Dude, he's already got a lion.

CyKg57-VQAELoRN.jpg

I still can't believe that thing isn't photoshopped.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Holy shit, that is gold.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trump has already broken with the extremely important tradition of inaugural license plates.

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2017-01-13/no-special-license-plates-for-donald-trumps-inaugural-parade
    No Special License Plates for Donald Trump’s Inaugural Parade
    Trump has declined to produce special plates for the vehicle motorcade that will take him from the Capitol to the White House after he is sworn in, the first new president to do so since Herbert Hoover's inauguration in 1929.
    Collectors consider the plates precious – just a few dozen people own one of each plate issued at every inauguration since Franklin Roosevelt was sworn in in 1933. The exception was 1945, when an inauguration parade was skipped due to World War II austerity measures.

"I'm sure this is just like cocaine," Charlie Gauthier, a retired National Highway Traffic Safety Administration executive, who owns a complete set, told the Journal. "Once you get addicted to this stuff, you just keep going. If you have plates that were issued to a president and a vice president of the United States, that's a pretty cool thing to have in your house."

Plates from Roosevelt's inaugurals sell at auction at prices from $4,000 to $12,000, and those from more recent events, such as the plates affixed to Vice President Joe Biden's car in 2009, recently listed for $1,499 on eBay, the Journal reported. The plates from other vehicles in the parade – like police motorcycles ($399 for one from Bill Clinton's first inaugural in 1993) – and those bearing signs of use or fading (such as one from Ronald Reagan's second inauguration in 1985, for $69.95) – can be considerably less.

"It's unfortunate that Mr. Trump is breaking with tradition, because his inaugural plates probably would have been highly collectible, very classy and one of the most tremendous designs in presidential history," GOP consultant Ryan Williams told the Journal.

The Journal says the process of designing, printing and delivering plates takes just three or four days, so there's still time before next Friday's swearing-in if Trump's team decides to follow tradition after all.
    Note that Obama's committee had the plates produced but did not use them.

He's gotta drain the swamp somehow.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I mean I couldn't give a shit if the man has a pet, or special plates, or whatever. Since when does that actually matter to anything the President does?

Like, do we really need to be making excuses for Trump supporters to dismiss criticism because of some petty irrelevant shit? The guy is dangerously uninformed and incompetent; whether he has a fucking dog or not doesn't come into it at all

It's just highlighting exactly how petty and utterly indifferent to tradition and the norms of the office he is. How much effort would it take to get some inaugural plates? Fill out some paperwork and bam, done.

Now think about what that implies for something important. Of course, he's already proven that with his withholding his tax returns.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

You're right.

He's so into the job he intentionally sought out that he can't be arsed to follow even the smallest of details that require practically zero effort. I can't give a shit about it either. Not when there are bigger fish to fry, am I right?

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

Personally, and maybe I'm off base here, I don't see it as "OMG THEY WON'T HAVE A PET!?" and more a matter of just how little they seem to know or care about the traditions of the office. Remember, people lost their fucking minds over whether or not Obama was wearing a flag pin, or the right kind of pin, or whatever. Making it not just about what Trump and his admin do/don't do, but it will make for some fascinating hypocrisy as he/they abandon traditions that date back that far just because they can, and how their base/supportive press react to that.

These are things that range from silly and petty (Pet, Plates) to outright chilling (they're doing what with the press corp now?).

The whole picture being greater than the sum of its parts.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm fully prepared for Trump to pull a Reagan and start ripping out solar panels.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Talking about meaningless presidential fluff stuff like Obama getting a dog is an old tradition. Talking about it doesn't mean the person considers Obama getting a dog a big deal.

Though in the case of inauguration plates, I would not be surprised if they don't have them because of the inauguration committee being a mess.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I admit I'm a bit surprised by the plate thing, but I guess since a lot of the value is on the secondary market, they don't see it as being worth the time/effort to bother since they won't be seeing much (if any) of that cash.

But it still caught me as a potential for grift being missed, unless it's just too small to worry about.

Gotta move more hats.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I do not give a single fuck about the theatrics of the inauguration. And I don't care who is and who isn't going to there. But if people shitting on it erodes Trump's authority even marginally, I'm not gonna speak against that. Shit away.

Hoz on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

This is why we need to stop saying things like "cheeto turd" and the like, because it just comes off as petty and dumb as "obummer"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It's all to cover up that animals - dogs, cats, even goldfish - respond to Trump with instinctive hostility, and plants wither in his presence.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Please don't force a poor dog to have Donald Trump play even a purely superficial role in its care.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Please don't force a poor dog to have Donald Trump play even a purely superficial role in its care.

Why are you worried? He'll treat it exactly the same as he treats his own flesh and blood.

Orca on
  • Options
    How can we miss Katrina Pierson if she won't go away?
    Former Trump campaign spokesperson Katrina Pierson on Sunday accused Democrats and Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) of playing "the victim" after President-elect Donald Trump attacked the civil rights icon on Twitter.

Last week, Trump lashed out at Lewis for saying that Trump's presidency was not legitimate because of Russian interference in the election. In a tweet, Trump accused the civil rights hero of not taking "action" to help his district.

"He attacked Donald Trump!" Pierson told Fox News host Clayton Morris on Sunday. "And Donald Trump also has a First Amendment right to defend himself. So this criticism is not fair. And it's never supposed to be fair for Republicans because Republicans are supposed to sit down, shut up and be publicly humiliated and never defend themselves."

"And all that changed with Donald Trump entered the arena," she continued. "And he said several times, 'If you attack me, I will hit you back.' That's exactly what happened here. This is what Democrats do. They pick a fight and they play the victim."

Pierson insisted that Trump's attack on Lewis was "absolutely payback" for undermining his legitimacy.

"This doesn't hurt Donald Trump's political clout," Trump's former national spokesperson opined. "He actually gains, simply because he is someone who is standing up for himself."

"Hillary Clinton couldn't even fill a high school," she scoffed. "Beyonce and Jay Z couldn't even bring the types of crowds Donald Trump had all over this country. What [Democrats] are doing is they are besmirching the American public and these elections results."
    I'm sure the irony of the bolded is lost on her.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Why are you worried? He'll treat it exactly the same as he treats his own flesh and blood.

Ew

• Options
    Also, Conway says that investigation into Russian interference should kept secret. You know...for kids! To protect US citizens.
    I'm always disappointed at just how public and sometimes political some of these figures seem to be. I'm very concerned, very concerned and people should realize, it was the Trump team, only us, at this point, who are not divulging what occurred in a classified briefing.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's called a classified briefing. For a minute you have the vice president of the United States making a comment about it the other day. You have intelligence officials confirming and denying.

This is classified information. Why is it top secret? It's top secret not to keep it from the public, but to protect the public and I very much respect the fact that the president-elect, the vice president-elect, the incoming chief of staff, others, our incoming press secretary, others who were in that room, are keeping quiet about the specifics.
    Protect the public from what?

• Options
    Also, Conway says that investigation into Russian interference should kept secret. You know...for kids! To protect US citizens.
    I'm always disappointed at just how public and sometimes political some of these figures seem to be. I'm very concerned, very concerned and people should realize, it was the Trump team, only us, at this point, who are not divulging what occurred in a classified briefing.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's called a classified briefing. For a minute you have the vice president of the United States making a comment about it the other day. You have intelligence officials confirming and denying.

This is classified information. Why is it top secret? It's top secret not to keep it from the public, but to protect the public and I very much respect the fact that the president-elect, the vice president-elect, the incoming chief of staff, others, our incoming press secretary, others who were in that room, are keeping quiet about the specifics.
    Protect the public from what?

The truth.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

Hey, now, his victims so far have been humans.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular

Oh, so he'll say he'd be dating it if it wasn't his dog.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I fear I'm getting to the point where I'm going to be too exhausted for outrage. It's just one thing after another. Just shit piled upon more shit. Trump's administration is so openly corrupt and terrible that it can cover up its wrongdoings with even more wrongdoings.

• Options
    Zomro wrote: »
    I fear I'm getting to the point where I'm going to be too exhausted for outrage. It's just one thing after another. Just shit piled upon more shit. Trump's administration is so openly corrupt and terrible that it can cover up its wrongdoings with even more wrongdoings.

Exactly like his campaign. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

And this bull might have tiny tiny hooves, but it produces a lot of bullshit.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Like I hope that clip shows up soon.

I hate the man and that hurt. They are really going after him

I wish SNL would quit doing these, honestly; they normalize Trump and make him out to be a this hilarious goofball instead of an incredibly dangerous individual.

Like, after the election, where they have Trump realizing he has to make good on all his promises and has no idea how to; it's hysterical and entertaining and makes me feel like I should be going "Oh, that trump! What shenanigans is he going to get up to next?"

I think they should keep doing them but change the tenor. Rather than trying for laughs, play him straight. Uncomfortably straight. Make the audience squirm.

Do you leave the lies as they are, or truth-trump them?

Play him straight. In Good Night and Good Luck they simply used actual footage of McCarthy and people thought his actor was too over the top. Present his words and actions and then provide the fucking correct response. Hell, they can just use the actual footage of Trump and his cohorts. SNL is stuck in the trap that they believe that satire must necessarily generate laughs.

Revamp the Weekend Update segments into a Colbert Report clone.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »
    Exactly like his campaign. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

And this bull might have tiny tiny hooves, but it produces a lot of bullshit.
    I mean, it works. :) So there won't be a fix of anything that ain't broke.

• Options

How many times was ACORN defunded again?

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

It's in cases like this that whoever is doing the interview needs to stop everything right then and there and call him a fucking liar right to his face on live TV.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

It's just highlighting exactly how petty and utterly indifferent to tradition and the norms of the office he is. How much effort would it take to get some inaugural plates? Fill out some paperwork and bam, done.

Now think about what that implies for something important. Of course, he's already proven that with his withholding his tax returns.

I only think it's good for him to actually follow the norms and traditions of the office when they actually mean something.

Like, these are non criticisms. They are petty irrelevancies. If Clinton won, did the same and caught shit for it we'd call that ridiculous.

Once you basically oppose and criticise everything because he's Donald Trump and a wanker (even though he definitely is a wanker), even when it doesn't mean anything, then all you look like is as partisan as the Republicans who'd accept Trump's shit in a box on their doorstep uncomplaining.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

It's in cases like this that whoever is doing the interview needs to stop everything right then and there and call him a fucking liar right to his face on live TV.

This basically happened.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular

Thought that was Greg Gutfield for a second. Nearly triggered me.

On that note. I'm actually surprised that Greg Gutfield isn't Trump's Press Secretary. He's the GOP's welfare version of Jon Stewart and clicks well in Conservative groups because he uses the guise of comedy to subliminally push out the Fox News agenda.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

He posts, probably already considering who to attack next.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    If you purge all the non-whites, the divisiveness goes away!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I only think it's good for him to actually follow the norms and traditions of the office when they actually mean something.

Like, these are non criticisms. They are petty irrelevancies. If Clinton won, did the same and caught shit for it we'd call that ridiculous.

Once you basically oppose and criticise everything because he's Donald Trump and a wanker (even though he definitely is a wanker), even when it doesn't mean anything, then all you look like is as partisan as the Republicans who'd accept Trump's shit in a box on their doorstep uncomplaining.

Not doing the licence plate thing, a seemingly minor and trivial process that is done out of tradition more than anything, is just another indication that Trump doesn't actually give a shit about performing the job.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

That tweet reads like a threat.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Not doing the licence plate thing, a seemingly minor and trivial process that is done out of tradition more than anything, is just another indication that Trump doesn't actually give a shit about performing the job.

It's like the announcer thing. It doesn't actually matter but it demonstrates a complete lack of caring about anything.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

That tweet reads like a threat.

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    That is the worst attempt at saying, "I will bring people together and heal the divisions in this country" I have ever seen. Maybe the worst one which is possible. You cannot hate people so much that they stay liking you trump.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »

Thought that was Greg Gutfield for a second. Nearly triggered me.

On that note. I'm actually surprised that Greg Gutfield isn't Trump's Press Secretary. He's the GOP's welfare version of Jon Stewart and clicks well in Conservative groups because he uses the guise of comedy to subliminally push out the Fox News agenda.

I heard Eric Cantor on NPR say that if Democrats wanted to oppose Republicans they needed to have comprehensive plans.

'cause yeah totally what you guys did with the ACA.

They are the worst fucking hypocrites on the planet.

This discussion has been closed.