As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    yeah tbh my approach to building my Magika DPS DK has been

> look at Deltia's gaming
    > decide that the builds there haven't been updated and that I don't give a fuck
    > Set everything on fire, forever

Similarly, I think tonight after work I may finally load my Khajiit again, respec her completely, run around killing bosses in Stormhaven until I have at least 3x Night Terror set, then run around killing bosses in Deshaan until I have 5x Night Mother's Embrace, ignore the "meta" and focus on becoming The Best Thief by having an itty-bitty stealth detection radius.

Related, IS there any way of knowing your ACTUAL Stealth Detection radius? Same with things like your Fire Resistance, Fire Damage, and other "hidden" stats

Dunno about detection radius, but there's definitely add-ons to know other hidden stats.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Got my friend up and running in ESO now. She likes to do healing, so I'm looking at nightblade tank specs so we can get instant dungeon queues.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Got my friend up and running in ESO now. She likes to do healing, so I'm looking at nightblade tank specs so we can get instant dungeon queues.

There's this one I've found: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/invellous-magicka-nightblade-tank-guide-tg-ready/

There may be some Baharra's Curse stuff in the guild bank that I've tossed in too. I've been trying to save bits of it after learning it was nice for sap tanks.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    Started messing around with a dragon knight and it seems really fun!

One thing I always wondered about is when to use regular attacks vs abilities. Should I cast an ability, then use my weapon attack, then another ability, etc. - basically rotating between attacks and abilities?

I used to just spam abilities and then use attack when I ran out of magicka or stamina - which felt very boring and slow. Rotating between attacks and abilities so far seem more interesting and efficient.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

One thing I always wondered about is when to use regular attacks vs abilities. Should I cast an ability, then use my weapon attack, then another ability, etc. - basically rotating between attacks and abilities?

I used to just spam abilities and then use attack when I ran out of magicka or stamina - which felt very boring and slow. Rotating between attacks and abilities so far seem more interesting and efficient.

I think it depends pretty strongly on your class.

For instance, for a Magika "Burn motherfuckers burn" DK, a LOT of my skills stack together to increase my damage done. Elemental Susceptibility reduces a target's magic defenses. Engulfing Flames causes Flame attacks to deal more damage to the target. Blockade of Fire deals extra damage to burning targets. Then I drop an Eruption for another blast of AoE fire damage and to keep the enemies in the hot zone of ongoing AoE damage where I want them. When all four of those are up, my regular Fire Staff attacks do a LOT of extra damage, and the enemies are slowed so they STAY in the extra damage. So, usually, I start with Elemental Susceptibility, then Engulfing Flames, then Blockade of Fire, and follow it up with one Heavy attack for the extra Magika, and then spam a bunch of light attacks. I'll then refresh Flames and Blockade.

Everything else is basically situational, like... I use Inhale when I need another Magika refresh, I spam Burning Embers when I need health. Annulment skill is both a good emergency "aaah I need not to die" and "aaaah I need more magika." And then there's some stuff on my bar that I don't use for active effects at all: Flame Whip (extra damage passive from Ardent Flame abilities), Inner Light (extra damage passive and magicka), and Flames of Oblivion (... even more extra damage passive)

So yeah basically, you want to figure out what abilities to use in which situations, and then swap between that and your attacks.

The other thing is knowing when to use light vs heavy attacks. Heavy attacks, I feel, should be saved for:

1. An opening attack when you are stealthed and you know you can hit the other guy
    2. You need magika / stamina badly
    3. Killing blows

Otherwise, you should be spamming light attacks as much as possible between abilities tbh. You can get in a lot of DPS depending on the weapon animation... dual wielded daggers are a great example, you can gently tap the mouse button all day erry day to sneak in stabs between abilities. Then heavy attack when you're like "I need a bit of extra stam/mag to do the Big Thing."

I will also say, weaving in your light attacks means that your resources have more time to recover too, so you're not as reliant on active resource management :)

So again, with my DK example above, by the time I need to refresh Elemental Susceptibility, Engulfing Flames, and Blockade of Fire, I SHOULD have my Magika back from weaving in my Light and Heavy attacks with my staff, and from having to sometimes proc things like Inhale and Annulment.

TL;DR -- Get to know what your skills do, and that'll help you build up a more interesting rotation :)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Heh, firing up my PC account after a two year absence, I have an Argonian named Smell Like A Sound. I wonder if he's hungry ?

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Wait, Christopher Plummer is whispering to me. I have no idea what's going on here...

• Options

We're getting a bit into the rabbit hole here, but it's worth toying with this now rather than wondering why you keep getting mauled by stuff people solo later.

Animation canceling a la third person action games is a bug that the dev team couldn't get rid of and have since embraced as a feature and is why rotating between attacks and abilities seemed more efficient.

You can cut the animation for a light attack short by activating any skill. The light attack's damage gets applied on "cast" so that entire animation is just aftercast and can be canceled out of by using a skill. So the ideal rotation is going to be light attack, skill, light attack, skill, light attack, skill etc with the skills being activated almost immediately after you click to attack. The specifics of the skills used will vary of course but the system is designed to alternate between attacks and skills.

Additionally, you can cancel the animation for any instant cast skill by swapping weapons (unlocked at level 15), dodging, and in most cases blocking. All of these have some bit of animation you can't cancel out of as they are the highest priority actions but it means if your last skill in a rotation for a weapon set has a long animation you can cancel that by swapping to your other weapon set to start its rotation and also that you can react to sudden red circles as long as you have the stamina.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    So I have yet to play the Daggerfall Covenant storyline, but I'm almost through Coldharbour, and I have to say...

God. Fucking. Dammit. Stibbons.

• Options
    Actually I take that back, it's not Christopher Plummer talking to me, it's the guy from LAYER CAKE, Micheal Gambon. Can somebody please buy him a PDA or something ? Because every time I get finished talking to him in his cave and ride back to Davon's Watch, he whispers to me "Vistage, come to me, there's an important McGuffin you must track down !"

What, you couldn't tell me this when I was standing in front of you five minutes ago ?

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Actually I take that back, it's not Christopher Plummer talking to me, it's the guy from LAYER CAKE, Micheal Gambon. Can somebody please buy him a PDA or something ? Because every time I get finished talking to him in his cave and ride back to Davon's Watch, he whispers to me "Vistage, come to me, there's an important McGuffin you must track down !"

What, you couldn't tell me this when I was standing in front of you five minutes ago ?

Thats with the changes to One Tamriel. It used to be based on your level, so you go do the level 10 stuff, then come back at 15, at 20, but with levels not mattering for quests whatsoever, as soon as you finish the last one they're just like "eh yo boyo. Come get some quests." as soon as you finish the previous set.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah, EVERYTHING is scaled to your level. You can go to the end game zones if thats what you want to knock out. It lets you explore and do whatever strikes your fancy, any zone any faction. Explore until you find an area or lore you like and start completing stuff there. You can even do any dungeon you want (queueing for them is still level locked) if you walk in with a group.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Im considering picking this back up but I had some questions before I do. I play MMOs for PVP most of the time, though I do enjoy dungeons and raids from time to time as a change of pace. How hard is it to get into the PVP side of things and actually participate/be able to kill people? I also noticed there are expansion packs now. Is it possible to buy them separately? I looked on the website and it only offers me a subscription that allows me to access them so long as I'm subbed. Also, if I sub and earn some of the expansion skills, do I lose them when my sub runs out? Also, and most importantly, is the game generally considered "pay to win" or is the cash store just convenience stuff like exp boosters and whatnot? I've googled most of these questions but everything I've found was either outdated or a 90+ page debate on a forum that I would rather not comb through for answers if I can avoid it.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    There are xp boosts in the Crown Store, but really the Crown Store is mostly for cosmetic stuff/mounts

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    What do y'all recommend for the DLC's, anything that you judge a "must have" ?

• Options

Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood were the two I bought originally, very very good stories and unlock useful stuff. Nice outfits for owning them as well. I picked up the one about the Orcs when it was 75% off, Orsinium or something? Imperial City is more pvp focused and dungeon focused, the other 3 were very good. I haven't tried Imperial City much so can't speak to it, really.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I don't think I'd get this game if you were mainly looking for a PvP mmo. I enjoy PvP in mmos, though I've never been a "serious" competitor. I haven't really enjoyed my time that much PvPing in eso. (I enjoyed gw2 pvp both in spvp and wuv, and loved wow arena back in s3)

My biggest complaint is that the developers seem to have a really long patch cycle, which leads to a fairly stale environment and also leaves in mechanics that are much to strong or weak in effect for a long time. I also thought this was a huge problem in gw2.

It doesn't seem likely that they'll be willing to change the topology of the only pvp map any time soon so any balance concerns that deal with the map design are unlikely to be addressed.

There aren't any pay-to-win mechanics I'm aware of.

Like many other mmo developers ZoS also seems reluctant to decouple pvp and pve balance; I don't have enough experience in the end game pve scenarios in this game to comment on that here but in other games this has been a mistake in my opinion.

All that said I love the pve in eso, and I'm happy I purchased it. It's the first mmo I've played in a while where I actually care about the the characters and listen or read to what is going on in the quests I do.

mccart on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Im considering picking this back up but I had some questions before I do. I play MMOs for PVP most of the time, though I do enjoy dungeons and raids from time to time as a change of pace. How hard is it to get into the PVP side of things and actually participate/be able to kill people?

Play Overwatch or a MOBA instead for that.

Or if you must do an MMO for PvP, play Guild Wars 2 instead. It does the whole three factions on a big battlefield better in terms of getting up to speed, adjusting build, and not lagging massively. The interest of the player base is still really low though.

So play Overwatch or a MOBA instead.
    I also noticed there are expansion packs now. Is it possible to buy them separately? I looked on the website and it only offers me a subscription that allows me to access them so long as I'm subbed.

They're sold separately in the Crown Store.
    Also, if I sub and earn some of the expansion skills, do I lose them when my sub runs out? Also, and most importantly, is the game generally considered "pay to win" or is the cash store just convenience stuff like exp boosters and whatnot? I've googled most of these questions but everything I've found was either outdated or a 90+ page debate on a forum that I would rather not comb through for answers if I can avoid it.

No idea about letting the sub lapse, but I think you keep the skills. Edit: Someone on reddit who lets the sub lapse while he's in school said his skills stick around during periods without sub.

The convenience stuff in the cash shop is so overpriced that no one seems to seriously use them so it's mostly just the cosmetic items plus the DLC.

It really depends on your play style and what you value.

Orsinium adds a new zone with lots of quests plus the Maelstrom arena. The quests take place after the main storyline in ESO so you get to catch up with some npcs you interacted with previously. The Maelstrom Arena is a high difficulty solo instance, basically a one man raid. Great if you like quests and high end content but can't be arsed to find a regular crew.

Imperial City adds a new zone that mixes PvE and PvP. It's generally pretty quiet for the most part though so people typically get to farm in peace. It also adds two group dungeons, tougher than the ones in the base game. I've done one of them, never stepped foot in the open world zone yet since I could buy its rewards from traders. Obviously good if you like PvP but the dungeons are also neat. Plus you can get it in the DLC megapack/Gold edition so it easily tags along.

Thieves Guild adds in a new skill line for criminal activity, a new zone, and its quests. It's not as good as Dark Brotherhood. Seriously, its stealth dailies are much tougher due to the level layout and mechanical design. I'm the only person I've talked to about them that seems to consistently finish with the bonus needed to get a shot at one of the crafting motifs. It does have one of the better payouts of any daily in the game too. It's a pretty neat zone too but it's not as active both due to being a DLC and not as much reason to linger in it. It also adds in a 12 man trial/raid, technically located in Reaper's March but you need to own the DLC to enter. Good if you like gold and end game content.

Dark Brotherhood adds in its own skill line, a new zone, quests, and the ability to stealth kill non-elite humanoid npcs though you get less exp for doing so. It also adds some non-DB related quests dealing with characters you meet during the main game's plot and what they've done since. The zone is probably my favorite in the game due to the scenery and sound design. It's also pretty active as dailies send you after the delves and world bosses in the zone and the DB stealth dailies are better designed. The crafting styles you can acquire are great too. What it does not have is anything remotely end game related. Great if you like to putz around being a rat bastard, quests, crafting, and flirting with Naryu Virian.

Shadows of the Hist adds two dungeons. That's it. They're both tougher than the base game dungeons and a lot of people complain about their content being overly padded with too many trash mobs as if the designers felt they had to pad the length to justify the price. Good if you absolutely must have every bit of content available or are targeting best of the best end game status. Probably the rarest DLC owned since it's not in any of the packs.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

He's just really excited to use the new 'Unlimited Calling and Haunting minutes' mobile plan that he's on now.

Dizzen on
  • Options
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    And Alfred Molina. And Bill Nighy. And Malcolm McDowell.

If you loved Oblivion as much as I did, Dark Brotherhood DLC is a must-buy.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    No mention of Kate Beckinsale? :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    That's Queen Beckinsale!

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Homestead launched Feb 6th on PC

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I've saved up the gold needed for the medium house I want. Now to just avoid spending much until then . . .

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Day after my birthday!

*edit* The lack of transmog in this game REALLY grinds my gears. The fact that the best gear for a Dragonknight Magika DPS is this piece of shit: http://eso.mmo-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/09/Grothdarr-Male-Front.jpg

Is like

are you kidding me?

AND then the rest of the armor is... Daedric. So you're in these black, elegant robes, with... a wad of meat putty on your skull and shoulder.

J. F. C.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    Somebody in an RP guild I'm in tried to tell me that Hollowjack isn't "lore friendly."

I really don't give a fuck because it's one of the nicest looking sets in the game, especially for a pyromancer.
    4aDmyv9.png

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Lore be damned! Fashion is significantly more important. Just tell them its the new "Lore Friendly Immersive Hollowjack" set.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Which class and weapons would make most use of being a Werewolf?

• Options
    Nyht wrote: »
    Which class and weapons would make most use of being a Werewolf?

I don't think class factors a lot into it since you don't access to your class skills in wolf form so even your passives that depend on having a class skill slotted or being used don't get used.

Likewise different weapon types excel at different things and werewolf doesn't change that outside of being oriented at stamina instead of magic. If you're trying a werewolf tank build, you're obviously sticking to 1h+shield. PvE stamina dps is still going to favor dual wield and bow, PvP stamina combat 2 hander and bow.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I've been online but invisible lately because one person in an RP guild I'm in is a little pushy and obnoxious, but I've still been on a bunch lately. So, with that said

WHO wants to help me do City of Ash a bunch of times so I can start getting my best in slot gear?

I am currently DK DPS, but I can swap into a Healz build if need be (and actually, I should probably re-morph a bunch of my non-DPS skills into that build)

• Options
    I've been online but invisible lately because one person in an RP guild I'm in is a little pushy and obnoxious, but I've still been on a bunch lately. So, with that said

WHO wants to help me do City of Ash a bunch of times so I can start getting my best in slot gear?

I am currently DK DPS, but I can swap into a Healz build if need be (and actually, I should probably re-morph a bunch of my non-DPS skills into that build)

Burning Spellweave I take it? Have you hit CP160 already or just planning for the future still?

Steam Profile
  • Options

Burning Spellweave I take it? Have you hit CP160 already or just planning for the future still?

I'm planning for tHA FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTUR

tbh I'm currently grabbing more skill points and gonna do Craglorn first. I want to make out an alt HEALZZZ build so peeps will actually do dungeons with me >>;

• Options
    Somebody in an RP guild I'm in tried to tell me that Hollowjack isn't "lore friendly."
    I've been online but invisible lately because one person in an RP guild I'm in is a little pushy and obnoxious, but I've still been on a bunch lately.

Is this the same person?

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I've been online but invisible lately because one person in an RP guild I'm in is a little pushy and obnoxious, but I've still been on a bunch lately.

Is this the same person?

Yes :|

I may be leaving said guild soon because I am a filthy casual and the constant pestering is... concerning. I'm like dude I am a n00b rando who just joined for casual fun times and this feels like stalking.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options

I'm planning for tHA FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTUR

tbh I'm currently grabbing more skill points and gonna do Craglorn first. I want to make out an alt HEALZZZ build so peeps will actually do dungeons with me >>;

It actually hasn't been too bad just using the dungeon finder as dps. The big thing is to get to a point where you can hold your own in veteran dungeons fast IMO as the queue to do those tends to be faster than the normal queue if going after the daily pledge dungeons or some of the more commonly farmed ones.

Craglorn is definitely good to hit up too though. Getting closer to needing to spend more time there to finish up quest lines and stuff myself.

Steam Profile
  • Options

Yes :|

I may be leaving said guild soon because I am a filthy casual and the constant pestering is... concerning. I'm like dude I am a n00b rando who just joined for casual fun times and this feels like stalking.

Sorry, dude. If it were me, I would politely ask this individual, in character, to fuck off. :P

• Options
    I have now officially advertised Ash Housewares on Reddit, with the intent/hope of getting us to 50 members.

I trust y'all pretty well and you've done a good job handling the Guild Bank in PAX Arcadia, so I will likely give anyone from this thread bank access if y'all want in on it.

Does anybody want to be an officer with recruiting power? @Steel Angel , you seem pretty interested in crafting as a whole, so you're one of my first picks.