As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    I'd just say don't get a 2 door, as 4 doors are way more useful.
    Price range, priorities and expected use (IE miles per year and city vs highway)?

But coupes are so cool!
    Also it would very rarely contain more than 2 people.

Also I have a Forster for all those sorts of needs.

If you also have a forester, get something even more fun, like a miata or one of the twins (BRZ/FRS).

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    He did say that he wanted a commuter type thing, fun doesn't combine with commute very well.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I like the BRZ a lot, but it's lacking some safety features the hondas have that I'd appreciate when barely awake driving. Also with my height it doesn't actually have a back seat.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    He did say that he wanted a commuter type thing, fun doesn't combine with commute very well.

Lies and blasphemy.

A commuter should always be fun!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I like the BRZ a lot, but it's lacking some safety features the hondas have that I'd appreciate when barely awake driving. Also with my height it doesn't actually have a back seat.

Ahh yes I had the same thing.

I told people my car was a 3-seater.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    @TheStig have you considered the Fiesta/Focus ST?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    No fords.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    jwalk on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Just ordered some fresh shoes for the Vette, TireRack has the Continental ExtremeContact DW on closeout.

My wallet hurts :(

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Put a set of those on my buddies Infinity G35, he loves them!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    *cough* Pilot Sports *cough cough*

• Options
    He said his wallet hurts, he didn't want to straight up murder it. :biggrin:

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Michelins are about 1/3 of the price of Contis here...

• Options
    edited January 2017
    $110 each for 285/40R17 front, and $200 for 295/35R18 rears. Michelin PSS is easily double that here.

Edit: double checked just to be sure I wasn't being an idiot... 295/35R18 is $320 per for the PSS, and the widest 17 they have is a 245, which wouldn't have worked anyway. Very few wide 17s out there any more... :(

mRahmani on
  • Options
    Back when my plan was to twin-turbo a 370Z I looked up the prices of the wheelset and tyres I wanted.

A set of Superlap SLs in the 19 inch staggered sizes I wanted was $3400.

The Pilot Sport Cup 2s to suit (275 fronts and 305 rears) was $3800...

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Put the Cherokee up for sale on Craigslist. I'm asking over blue book but I've put a ton of new replacement parts into it. Gives me room to bargain. If I get blue book I'll still make a bit of cash though, so we shall see!

Take a Look!

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/5961037610.html

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    that thing looks real sharp for its age! well done keeping it nice

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    72000? not 172000?

that's some low miles, too.

• Options
    Not gonna lie, if I had the spare cash I'd probably buy a great looking, well maintained, low mileage Cherokee at that price without batting an eye.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Label wrote: »
    72000? not 172000?

that's some low miles, too.

Yea that's why I jumped on it earlier last year. I couldn't pass up the deal. Now It needed some love when I got it, that's for sure. Those low miles are right on the line of being too low for how old it is. I bought it with just 64000 on the clock. the back suspension was flatter than a pancake. It drove like shit down the interstate with the snow tires in the back when I first took it home, it would start shaking and shuddering. Rough ride. Once I got the new suspension on it though, mmmm yea a world of difference.

I've got enough money into it now to still make it a good deal for me, and the person who buys it. It's gotta go though before more gremlins show up. Its a Jeep so they are there, incubating somewhere.

webguy20 on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    It helps that my brother runs his own detailing business. He can make some seriously shitty looking rigs look great once he's done. Thank you though, I never understood the concept of letting cars get gross inside and out. Yea they may be old and worn down, but that doesn't mean they still can't be a nice place to be. It doesn't have to cost a lot either, just a vaccuum and a damp rag can keep the inside of a car looking pretty good.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Just put in a bit of an investment on Honda mods, including a 125cc manual clutch motor. The Cub will be a lion yet!

• Options
    Man I've gotten like 8 emails so far on the Jeep all asking to for me to call them, with a few variations in the actual body and subject of the email. It feels scammy but when I've looked up some of the numbers they seem to be real people and real phone numbers. Guess I'll call back a couple.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Man I've gotten like 8 emails so far on the Jeep all asking to for me to call them, with a few variations in the actual body and subject of the email. It feels scammy but when I've looked up some of the numbers they seem to be real people and real phone numbers. Guess I'll call back a couple.

Eh, when I sell stuff on craigslist I make it email only to start and don't respond back until there's a cogent offer or question. So much BS on that site.

• Options
    Mazda says they're going to launch an HCCI engine in the next Mazda 3. HCCI is where you push the compression way up (18:1 in this case) and remove the spark plugs, having the gasoline engine run like a diesel.

• Options
    my advice, if your car is worth more than $500 don't sell it on CL.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    How would you recommend selling it, instead?

I ask because once the spring comes, I'm thinking of selling my two other fun cars for simplification. I think I can get $7500-8000 for the Mustang convertible, and ~$2k for the Lincoln, and was probably just going to slap them up on CL.

• Options
    I've sold one car through eBay and one car through CL. I put my Camaro on CL and it was pretty much sold the next day for the price I listed ($1500). I agreed to drive it to the dude's house since he was meeting my asking price and he was pretty local, and that was that.

I sold my Scirocco on eBay and while the transaction was smooth, the car sat in my driveway for more than a week before the person could come pick it up.

• Options
    CL is great for dumping crap, if it's actually worth something it should find a better audience on Autotrader, etc.

• Options
    jwalk wrote: »
    my advice, if your car is worth more than $500 don't sell it on CL.

Eh, up to 10k it's decent. Autotrader sucks and not enough people use CarGurus

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I've noticed that CL for motorbikes is more by model year than much else. Older than ten years? Ain't gonna find it on cycletrader unless you're either paying too much or it's in pristine/custom condition

• Options
    Is cars.com no good?

• Options
    So the guy who is really interested in my jeep is from my hometown and my Mom knows his Wife. :P small freakin' world. Nice to know they are stand up folks though.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Cars.com is alright but doesn't have as many listings as AutoTrader.
    Craigslist is great for finding bargains but you have to sift through a lot of crap to find the good stuff.
    AutoTrader is great, because you can search by trim levels and features nationwide and still turn up a solid number of results. It's my go to starting point when searching for a vehicle.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    Is cars.com no good?

cars.com has a great interface, but it seems more geared towards 20k+ cars (new and CPO). As it's primarily a dealer site, personal listings get lost in the shuffle.

• Options
    I can only offer my story. spent 9 months listing and re-listing on CL (with some breaks). probably overpriced at first ($11.5k) eventually started listing it at $9-10k, had a couple of tire-kickers come look at it. one guy offered $7.5k

put on Autotrader at $9k, sold in less than a week for $8.6k

of course YMMV

• Options
    oh, sold 1 day before registration was due (and smog) that saved me about $200. heh

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    The only serious person I got for my MS3 last year was from Autotrader as well. The best offer I got through Kijiji (Canadian CL kinda) was a '94 Miata "plus cash."

I was reluctant to go through Autotrader as well but it was painless and ultimately worth it.
    of course YMMV

• Options
    The only serious person I got for my MS3 last year was from Autotrader as well. The best offer I got through Kijiji (Canadian CL kinda) was a '94 Miata "plus cash."

I was reluctant to go through Autotrader as well but it was painless and ultimately worth it.
    of course YMMV

This was my experience. Sold my 2010 STi, best offer on Kijiji was 21,000. Listed on AutoTrader, a dealership (!!!) called me and offered me 26,000.

This discussion has been closed.