As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Occulus Rift at PAX??

gwidiongwidion Registered User regular
So I know we're still about four months away, but is there any chance that Occulus Rift could make an appearance at PAX? I know it's still in development, but they just had an investor that's going to help them finish manufacturing the user version. Anyone with any inside information? Or speculation? Or any discussion about Occulus Rift can go here too.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    It was at PAX Prime with pretty big lines, so I'd say there's a very good chance.

• Options
    Awesome!!

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Got to try out the Occulus at PAX AUS, so I'd only hope and imagine it'd be at East.

And yes, it was awesome.
    Don't drink and play though. It's very disorienting at first, in an awesome way.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    It's worth noting that at Prime there was an Oculus booth, as well as some smaller developers that also had them at their own booths.

I played it at an indie booth on the upper floor of Prime, they had some weird game where you change between a Pterodactyl, Human, or walking Tree while wandering in a world... I never looked into what the name of it was, but the Rift was pretty cool even with a game like that. My favorite part before trying it was a guy falling off a cliff and almost falling down himself, which was just hilarious and made me get in line to try it.

• Options
    I can't wait to try it out!

• Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Is there going to be some mechanism in place to clean the thing between uses? I remember hearing how there was a nasty case of pink eye spreading around Prime from the Rift.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    There's no way to know for sure what exhibitors will have available at their booths for that purpose. It might be a good idea to bring alcohol wipes with you, and ask if you can wipe the parts that touch skin.

• Options
    TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I currently have an Oculus Rift dev kit that im willing bring to PAX. I have my own BYOC ticket.

Dunno if you'll be at BYOC OP, but I just have to check with the guys over at BYOC what my options are for having them look after it when im not in the area.

@Zerzhul Wipes are an absolute must. I bought a pack for myself for when I demo my Rift. The lenses get greased up very easy (mostly due to error of putting on the mask and contact with the forehead)

Trandescent on
    8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • Options
    miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Haven't heard of the pink eye case but that's totally not something I'd have thought of. Hopefully the exhibitors with it will have but I may pick up some just in case. I'm really hoping by East there will be some news of the retail non-dev kit edition of the Rift

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • Options
    upstateny-danupstateny-dan Registered User regular
    Hope so, I tried it at nycc and it was very cool

• Options
    shadow112090shadow112090 Registered User new member
    I've got a dev kit and live pretty close to the expo hall, so I might bring my setup with me one of the days for people to try out.

• Options
    Just updating, I will definitely be bringing my Oculus Rift to the 2014 East BYOC.

8elUgf9.png

• Options
    PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    yeah the OC Rift is very impressive. I tried a racing demo at Prime at the main Occulus booth. Being able to turn my head and look into the back seat of the car was simply mind numbing. This is very innovative technology and OC would dumb not to have it at East. I read that there was a way to play Half-Life 2 with it. OC should have that available for people to try out.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Maybe it's just me, but I was not impressed with the Occulus Rift. The slow refresh rate, screen tearing, and the latency between head movement and screen gave me vertigo and killed my sense of immersion. The person who's Occulus I demoed mentioned that several other people have made similar comments. Nice concept, but I'm glad I passed on the Kickstarter.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    hsu wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I was not impressed with the Occulus Rift. The slow refresh rate, screen tearing, and the latency between head movement and screen gave me vertigo and killed my sense of immersion. The person who's Occulus I demoed mentioned that several other people have made similar comments. Nice concept, but I'm glad I passed on the Kickstarter.

Was it playing on a laptop? Basically everything that you just mentioned isn't a problem when running on my tower, but I get those same problems when I attempt to run on my laptop.

8elUgf9.png

• Options
    PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »

Yeah those problems are why John Carmack is devoting so much time to it. Those sound like they're all resolvable as the technology improves. There is definitely something there, it just needs to be more polished.

• Options
    It looks like the second generation prototype goes a long way to solve the current problems:
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/01/oculus-rift/
    But like most new technologies, I doubt it'll be ready for prime time until the third generation.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    I look forward to trying a Rift!

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Guys, I dunno if this is already known but I stopped in at my local Best Buy Sunday in the Cleveland, OH area, and they had an Occulus Rift demo setup display going. Someone was already playing so i browsed a bit and came back to the kiosk...there was a person running it, and she asked if i had an appointment. I said no, I didn't know i needed one, but she had an opening so took my name and email down then let me try it out.

I had an option of climbing a mountain, playing a fps like fireball slinging game, something sports related and one other thing i cant remember. I picked the fireball thing.

I had previously tried out the PSVR unit and that one i had some serious problems with due to my glasses. I felt like my eyes would not focus properly on the screen so close to my face (I wore my glasses in the unit), and it made one of my eyes tear up the entire time i was playing.

I did not have that problem with the rift. My glasses were causing some issues because they were a bit tight in the mask and they shifted around to make it a little annoying but i could see clearly compared to the psvr.

The display also had the 'hand' controllers, which are pretty neat and functioned pretty well. There was a part of the video where the ground around me fell into a pit, and i felt a little vertigo. I could have moved around a bit but kept mostly stationary.

The only thing i was surprised and a little disappointed about was i felt the graphics were not high def. I felt like i was watching it through a filter...it was not really sharp. Is that just because of the video card they had it running off of?

I enjoyed it, and got the hang of the controls pretty quickly. i asked about pricing. she said the rift headset + one sensor + what looked like an xbox controller was 599. The hand controls were 200 bucks a set and did not come with the base 599 price.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    The resolution of the Rift (and Vive) is 2160x1200, with each eye seeing less than half the screen (there are black borders, due to how the lenses work). So not only does each eye see less pixels than a 1080p monitor, but the screen being so close to your eyes enlarges the pixels too.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Nice necro of a 2 year old thread :P

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    Consti2tionConsti2tion Registered User regular
    Most Best Buys should have an Occulus Rift station set up. But Yeah they were at PAX East Last year so i don't see why they wouldn't be there again this year.. we'll probably see Samsung Galaxy VR there too as well as PSVR

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    The best demo of the Rift I experienced was at West last year with the Star Trek game/demo. It really felt like you were on the ship's bridge. Would actually line up and repeat it if it showed up at East. Their logistics was also decent, you rushed to sign up on opening time then came back on your time slot, no waiting in line.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239