As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'm always confused when I hear other people talking about these complex Granblue strategies and intricate character quirks and how to combo skills.

Everyone I rolled just has damage/damage/heal or damage/damage/buff for their abilities. No side mechanics or interactions or anything...

Edit: Even in the collabs...
    g98abh5sluxm.jpg

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Goddamn Yuisis is just annihilating the Extreme mode of this SS boss. Wind team in general is doing good but when she sets up her Attacker mode 1, 2, wait, Ougi chain she releases about a million damage and tends to kill the boss instantly. Korwa feeds her DA/TA to help get that charge meter going. Not sure what Rosetta is doing though. Is Rose Barrier meant for anything?

Rosetta needs to get hit to build up charges on her rose barrier before releasing it for massive game breaking buffs

She's not great for short fights necessarily

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Goddamn Yuisis is just annihilating the Extreme mode of this SS boss. Wind team in general is doing good but when she sets up her Attacker mode 1, 2, wait, Ougi chain she releases about a million damage and tends to kill the boss instantly. Korwa feeds her DA/TA to help get that charge meter going. Not sure what Rosetta is doing though. Is Rose Barrier meant for anything?

Uh. Being the best buff in the game, yes.

Use her 3, use her 1, get hit til it gets to 5 stacks, release.

Watch your damage more than double, with a 50% echo on top, and the data rate skyrocket.

Like, don't use Yuisis' hostility move, chivalry stacks are kind of not worth messing with the Rosetta train.

steam_sig.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    So I've always felt FFX had some pretty great symbol and script design; and tonight I searched for some stuff to remember exactly what it looked like and stumbled on this article:

https://levelskip.com/rpgs/final-fantasy-x-symbols-glyphs

Which goes over the important glyphs and symbols in the game, connects them to Shingon Buddhism, and uses that as a lens to analyze how FFX approaches religion.

It's really cool, and I'm kinda geeking out about it right now (the other, related articles that are largely about deciphering the various scripts that appear in the world are pretty cool, too). There was just so much thought put into that world.

IKknkhU.gif
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Seeing a Japanese person, self-admittedly unfamiliar with reddit, post on the English Granblue reddit that they've added English support to their damage calculator is really fascinating to me for some reason.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Seeing a Japanese person, self-admittedly unfamiliar with reddit, post on the English Granblue reddit that they've added English support to their damage calculator is really fascinating to me for some reason.

Addiction transcends borders and nationalities

It's just really cool to see evidence of this kind of "shared community" I guess

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Speaking of Granblue I dunno how I'm supposed to get this renown considering everything dies in 5 seconds. Most I can do is land a hit and then poof it's gone and I have something like 3 renown with a 2,000 weekly limit. That's not tenable. Hell, it's actually EASIER to leech with the SR/R team now and get a boatload of those points in no time flat.

Speaking of Granblue I dunno how I'm supposed to get this renown considering everything dies in 5 seconds. Most I can do is land a hit and then poof it's gone and I have something like 3 renown with a 2,000 weekly limit. That's not tenable. Hell, it's actually EASIER to leech with the SR/R team now and get a boatload of those points in no time flat.

You won't get much renown from jumping into magna raids, even if you do a ton of damage you only get like 10 renown.

On the other hand, you get 40 renown from hosting a magna, and the big renown income is clearing out your Hard raids. 18 possible fights a day for 12 renown each.

None of that is counting the 500/500 SR/R weekly bonus renown mind you.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    persona 4
    knowing that the game has a time-based component and being forced to make choices has me in a panic that I'm about to fuck something up.

I'm only just barely past the second dungeon but they keep giving me MORE SHIT TO DO and I'm like STOP IT.

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    persona 4
    knowing that the game has a time-based component and being forced to make choices has me in a panic that I'm about to fuck something up.

I'm only just barely past the second dungeon but they keep giving me MORE SHIT TO DO and I'm like STOP IT.

If you do the dungeons as quickly as possible you have the rest of ingame month to just do whatever.

simulacrum wrote: »
    persona 4

If you do the dungeons as quickly as possible you have the rest of ingame month to just do whatever.

Sure but that doesn't help with the fact that there are 20 people and a half dozen part time jobs and a bunch of books and and and and

Also it's practically impossible to get everything right when doing it blind. I think the perfect guide run only has a day or two of wiggle room, even.

Just hang out with whoever you like and do whatever is fun at the moment.

Except fox, befriend the fuck out of that fox ASAP.

uyvfOQy.png
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    persona 4

Persona 4
    I'd try and get the fox social link up to 4 or 5 to get the MP regen price down to manageable levels (you can usually do the requests without taking up time, only actually talking to the fox to advance the social link uses up your afternoon), since MP is really your only limiting resource that prevents you from powering through dungeons in a single day.

Other than that just do what you want and don't worry about it; trying to micro manage your time too much just makes it feel like a chore so just embrace your inner teenager and hang out with whoever you feel like.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    persona 4

Accurate feeling of being a teenager

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    persona 4

Sure but that doesn't help with the fact that there are 20 people and a half dozen part time jobs and a bunch of books and and and and

i'm gonna give you a general list of the social links to focus on, then I'll put mechanical reasons why in a further spoiler because it will contain some minor story stuff

just to help you focus on a few things to start with
    Be good to animals, your family, and the people you fight with.
    Specifcally, the Fox's social link cheapens healing in dungeons
    your party members gain utility abilities as you upgrade their links i.e. they'll take a lethal hit for you
    and at some point you will get temporarily locked out of dojima and nanako's links

Okay, I'm starting to get multiple copies of the SSR Omega summon...do I want to level up enough to fill all the slots? Or limit break one of them up?

uyvfOQy.png
    edited January 2017
    Three flip chests today.

Three copies of Tiamat SSR.

:rotate:

Edit: On the bright side apparently the Extreme boss in the SamSho event drops the wind katana, so I'm one away from a complete weapon.

Madican on
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    persona 4

Accurate feeling of being a teenager

I think this is why the Persona framing device of being a schoolkid turns me off so much

being a teenager is trying to find a place to fit in, get rebuked by essentially everyone, and spending four years essentially being homeschooled by how much social contact people will grant you

what is all this maintaining friends nonsense why the fuck would any of these people give this protagonist the time of day

VRXwDW7.png
    The Fool is the number zero... It is the Arcana that represents beginnings, and infinite possibilities. Just like the card, my guest can wield infinite personas. We call that ability the power of the wild card.

He has friendship magic.

uyvfOQy.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    New 14 patch has a painting of yda and paplymo called "Forever Friends"

Fucking RIP paplymo

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Fucking RIP paplymo

Papalymo has no interest in fucking

Yda is only interested in fucking someone who can punch stuff as hard as she can

Thancred gets dommed by the Au Ra rogue

Y'shtola is a lesbian

These are my Scion shipping opinions

IKknkhU.gif
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    y'shtola is my waifu and that is final

Stilts wrote: »

Fucking RIP paplymo

Papalymo has no interest in fucking

Yda is only interested in fucking someone who can punch stuff as hard as she can

Thancred gets dommed by the Au Ra rogue

Y'shtola is a lesbian

These are my Scion shipping opinions

These are all 100% canon and correct and no one will ever be able to convince me otherwise.

With the addition that Thancred had it bad for Minfillia, but I mean, come on, that one is just obvious.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    persona 4

i'm gonna give you a general list of the social links to focus on, then I'll put mechanical reasons why in a further spoiler because it will contain some minor story stuff

your party members gain utility abilities as you upgrade their links i.e. they'll take a lethal hit for you
    and at some point you will get temporarily locked out of dojima and nanako's links

This post was super super helpful, thank you.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Kan-E-Senna is my waifu of choice.

merlwyb is no one's waifu. You are her husbando.

acpRlGW.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    the only ff14 canon I can get behind is the one where I nudged alphanoodle off a cliff. if I had a picture of my lalafell looking evil I would post it

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    persona 4

Do what I do, follow an online guide and eliminate all uncertainty.

People always say not to, to save your 100% run for New Game+ when you've maxed out all your attributes, but who are they kidding? People barely have enough time to play through Persona games once, for crying out loud. Might as well get the most out of your playthrough as you can.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Jars wrote: »
    the only ff14 canon I can get behind is the one where I nudged alphanoodle off a cliff. if I had a picture of my lalafell looking evil I would post it

Just take a picture of your Lalafel and you're done.

Andy Joe wrote: »
    persona 4

Do what I do, follow an online guide and eliminate all uncertainty.

People always say not to, to save your 100% run for New Game+ when you've maxed out all your attributes, but who are they kidding? People barely have enough time to play through Persona games once, for crying out loud. Might as well get the most out of your playthrough as you can.

Nonono, I don't want the game played for me, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake that would actually damage my enjoyment of the game itself.

I had been spreading myself a little too thin before, and I also ignored the fox, which I now see the benefits of immensely. Now with a general idea of what's going on im enjoying myself much more.

Jars wrote: »

Just take a picture of your Lalafel and you're done.

It's just how you frame it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6n-Pjx0ATs

acpRlGW.jpg

Holy shit

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Aymeric/WoL imo

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    merlwyb is no one's waifu. You are her husbando.

also she is not gentle

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'm gradually trudging my way through Xenogears, this is a very strange game. I want to know what happens with the story, but find the gameplay both too weird, and too boring at the same time. I really wish it didn't have all these platforming bits in the mechs, it just feels awkward.

update: Unless your RPG has Mario in the title, it should not have any platforming!! I'm climbing up the giant tower, and there's so much damn platforming here.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    I really really really liked xenogears until you hit the point where they ran out of money.

edited January 2017
    persona 4

This post was super super helpful, thank you.

yeah no problem! there will still be tons of leeway for you to do what interests you even if you're balancing those core commitments

WeedLordVegeta on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I really really really liked xenogears until you hit the point where they ran out of money.

Was that fairly early or fairly late? I don't really spend money on anything except gear parts, so I tend to just accrue money for hours and hours and then spend it all at once.

sig.gif

Was that fairly early or fairly late? I don't really spend money on anything except gear parts, so I tend to just accrue money for hours and hours and then spend it all at once.

Late. And not the point where YOU run out of money, the point where the devs did.

But it's still pretty damn cool and giant robots are good. I really need to actually finish it sometime, because I came pretty fucking close back in the day.

This discussion has been closed.