As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    As someone who recently ended up with an Xbone. Are there any not Lost Odyssey RPGs that were exclusive any xbox system that I should pick up?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    tales of vesperia, i guess

that's about it

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Not really. Xbox doesn't sell well in Japan so jrpgs are generally just the multiplatform releases if anything.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Even Vesperia got a better PS3 rerelease that didn't make it out of Japan.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    There's also Infinite Undiscovery. Last Remnant later came to Steam at least.

uyvfOQy.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Tales of Vesperia should be up on the re-release block soon. So hopefully the use that version.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Vesperia is excellent

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Last Remnant is really only playable on PC

I... might be a slight Infinite Undiscovery apologist, there was some neat stuff going on in that game

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    merlwyb is no one's waifu. You are her husbando.

also she is not gentle

Good.

Also, it's Aymeric/Lucia

WoL/Anima

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So annoyed that I never got to play the complete version of the Last Remnant.

I feel I would have actually liked it if what they have us on 360 wasn't basically a beta.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Blue Dragon was a pretty fun FFV like game as long as you had the free Hard mode patch.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    In the time since my last Yggdrasil sword, I've gotten 2 daggers and MLB'd a bow and the summon. I want to hit things harder :(

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i am hopeful for the lucky draw in ffrk. I need BSBs and I need them bad

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    i am hopeful for the lucky draw in ffrk. I need BSBs and I need them bad

I got lucky on the FFXIV banner and now basically my entire team is FFXIV

Ended up getting Thyrus, Omnirod, Wizard Gloves, and Veil of Wiyu from a single 11 pull

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Vesperia is excellent

It really is. One of the stronger plots in the series, the combat mechanics are good, etc.

Rita's casting style is absolutely wonderful - I love her whole "screw magic circles, I'm drawing spheres. With a ribbon. That shoots lasers at your face. And screw incantations, BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE"

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I 100%'d Vesperia on the 360. Everything, including the airship flight time. Went through it about three or four times and loved it to absolute pieces.

Also if you put Repede in the lead and go to the final boss then Repede will have a "conversation". Like anyone else in the party but he's a dog so it's hilarious.

Madican on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I... might be a slight Infinite Undiscovery apologist, there was some neat stuff going on in that game

I love The Last Remnant, but yeah, avoid the XBox version at all costs. It's a Beta. PC version or nothing at all.

The game's systems were heavily redone nearly completely for the PC release.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMSXMS6LnfE

Yep, P5 has the best UI for an RPG I've seen in years.

Oh hey. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/17/action-rpg-tokyo-xanadu-coming-to-ps4-and-ps-vita-this-year/

Aksys, not XSeed, is bringing over Falcom's Tokyo Xanadu.

And they're localizing both versions, the origional Vita version and the PS4 director's cut. Both versiopns have a physical release and a limited edition.

The more Falcom games (Trails, Ys) that get localized, the happier I am.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I stopped playing after I got to the first boss and it killed me after I performed one attack

I paid like eight bucks for that game and still felt ripped off

I love TLR for having easily one of the most strategic battle systems of any RPG I've ever played. Formations, Positioning, in-battle Morale manipulation, resource management (both AP and consumables), flanking/side/back attacks, battlefield aoes, and status effects were all important and had to be kept track of. Job classes opened up new tactics like Ninjas/Assassins being able to do savage back attacks no matter what as long as an enemy was engaged with one other ally unit. Leaders had dual-techniques Chrono Trigger style that did massive damage. And mages in the same unit could combine their magics into spells that hit the entire freaking battlefield for massive damage or did aoe healing and recovery to your entire army.

The problem is the game itself told everyone jack shit about any of this.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'll probably end up getting both versions of Tokyo Xanadu since they release far enough apart, I want to play it asap, I want to play the EX stuff, and I want to support localizing Falcom games.

Renzo on
    Renzo wrote: »
    I'll probably end up getting both versions of Tokyo Xanadu since they release far enough apart, I want to play it asap, I want to play the EX stuff, and I want to support localizing Falcom games.

Probably the same for me. Also note that the EX version is coming to Steam as well.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMSXMS6LnfE

Yep, P5 has the best UI for an RPG I've seen in years.

God, it is just physically painful how much I want this to come out. The delay to April is so looooooong. I think I'll be taking a week off work.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I'm thankful for the delay. With everything I need to pay for in feb and march, a few extra paychecks to cushion the blow is helpful.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I'm determined to beat TMS today

this last dungeon is so obnoxious

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

TMS continued the ages old tradition of the final dungeon being about twice as long as it should've been if it didn't want to wear out its welcome.

I didn't mind the dungeon itself, just the freaking length. I had to split it up between two days of gameplay.

Oh boy, a rainbow, and the current banner has a bunch of stuff on rate up that I want!
    05ykwdvuc5go.png

The dream is dead

I'm knee deep in Persona 4 still but I really want to sit down and play this when I finish.

Although that'll probably be right in the middle of the gameageddon that's currently approaching. Too. Many. Good. Games. Help

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

I'm knee deep in Persona 4 still but I really want to sit down and play this when I finish.

Although that'll probably be right in the middle of the gameageddon that's currently approaching. Too. Many. Good. Games. Help

1 week from today and my gameageddon begins and doesn't let up for a single day through at the VERY least April.

My gods.. it's beautiful and terrifying.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Hmm, so 2.5 hours in to FFXIII and eeeh, it's not as bad as it sounded base on complaints here, but it's not great. However, so far it only seems slightly more anime than FFXV, and just now getting access to the Paradigm system, it's on the right trajectory to be a more enjoyable FF game.

Someone said that for some time I ought to just run past enemies because there'll be time to catch up on character progression, how long should I do that for?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I love TLR for having easily one of the most strategic battle systems of any RPG I've ever played. Formations, Positioning, in-battle Morale manipulation, resource management (both AP and consumables), flanking/side/back attacks, battlefield aoes, and status effects were all important and had to be kept track of. Job classes opened up new tactics like Ninjas/Assassins being able to do savage back attacks no matter what as long as an enemy was engaged with one other ally unit. Leaders had dual-techniques Chrono Trigger style that did massive damage. And mages in the same unit could combine their magics into spells that hit the entire freaking battlefield for massive damage or did aoe healing and recovery to your entire army.

Yeah, when I picked it up I didn't know that I had to look up a guide to actually use the combat system good

I eventually got stuck at a boss fight and uninstalled it because the game is aggressively secretive about its mechanics

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
    Septus wrote: »
    Hmm, so 2.5 hours in to FFXIII and eeeh, it's not as bad as it sounded base on complaints here, but it's not great. However, so far it only seems slightly more anime than FFXV, and just now getting access to the Paradigm system, it's on the right trajectory to be a more enjoyable FF game.

Someone said that for some time I ought to just run past enemies because there'll be time to catch up on character progression, how long should I do that for?

The complaint about FFXIII is that it takes many, many hours before the systems are fully opened up. Like, 20-30.

But there's a lot of character work during those many hours and honestly most of the characters are pretty good, so if you like them then you'll like the game.

Yeah, when I picked it up I didn't know that I had to look up a guide to actually use the combat system good

I eventually got stuck at a boss fight and uninstalled it because the game is aggressively secretive about its mechanics

Welcome to the SaGa series.

Where the mechanics are weird and boss battles are freaking hard.

New Super Robot Wars V (Japanese) Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0qXRy9rwSc

Remember that it's releasing in Asia in English the same day as the Japanese release.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    TMS sure betrayed its SMT roots by making the final boss relatively reasonable and bullshit OHKO free!

TMS is a very good, very silly game

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    TMS sure betrayed its SMT roots by making the final boss relatively reasonable and bullshit OHKO free!

TMS is a very good, very silly game

Was still the only fight in the game I game overed in. It was rough ( I didn't have Itsuki's best weapon so he was weak to fire).

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    New Super Robot Wars V (Japanese) Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0qXRy9rwSc

Remember that it's releasing in Asia in English the same day as the Japanese release.

So I'm definitely gonna import this

But man, I was watching that trailer, getting hyped up from the cool series I recognize; and then the video gets to the 5:10 mark and I'm like, "Wait. Hold up. Did they put fucking Cross Ange in this game?"

And like, I kinda get it. The show does have some good mecha design. It's just really weird to see them include that shitty show.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • kowikowi Registered User regular
    Tales of Vesperia is my favorite.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »

The complaint about FFXIII is that it takes many, many hours before the systems are fully opened up. Like, 20-30.

But there's a lot of character work during those many hours and honestly most of the characters are pretty good, so if you like them then you'll like the game.

And also once you get past those 20-30 hours and into the full game it has the best gameplay of any Final Fantasy game, in my opinion.

It still sucks that you need to go through those 20 hours to get there, but I thought it was worth it.

This discussion has been closed.