As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Harmonix] New Rock Band peripherals are coming!

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Sounds good to me - I can set it up tomorrow night, or you can set it up and just invite me.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So I got a PS4, and thinking about getting the new game one now... Will I need a USB hub to link up all the instruments (I have the guitar, mic, pro drums set from the PS3 version, and the keyboard but that doesn't work with this version, right?)?

Also, probably a silly question, but do I need an active PS+ sub to be able to buy songs?

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Many of the old PS3 dongles have a passthru USB port so you can daisy chain them. Having said that, we use a cheapo unpowered 4-port USB hub and just plug that whole assembly (hub and three dongles) in at one time when it's Rock Band night here. Three microphones plug into the various passthru ports and seem to work fine.

26904.png
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    It's gonna be tight for us to maintain our status this week. This spotlight songs are tough and the metal theme will make crew xp difficult to maintain as well

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    Many of the old PS3 dongles have a passthru USB port so you can daisy chain them. Having said that, we use a cheapo unpowered 4-port USB hub and just plug that whole assembly (hub and three dongles) in at one time when it's Rock Band night here. Three microphones plug into the various passthru ports and seem to work fine.

Do you know if the passthrough ports on the PS3 dongles introduce any lag? I was playing RB4 with the drums + mic plugged into the old keyboard dongle (didn't have a RB2 guitar) and for the life of me I couldn't get the drum calibration right, ran it like 3+ times and the notes would still be 'hitting' past the line during gameplay. Couldn't tell if it was because of the dongle or because my friend's TV was weird.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Looks like there are some RB packs on sale in the Xbox store this week: https://majornelson.com/2017/01/09/this-weeks-deals-with-gold-and-spotlight-sale-72/?linkId=33194673

I don't know why they wouldn't put those on sale BEFORE Xmas and NYE... when people are more likely to have RB parties and be willing to purchase things.

Also, sorry, Crew, this past weekend I played a bunch of RB at a friend's place... but there was no Internet available, so all the potential XP was wasted :(

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Sales are up to Microsoft and the labels.. Harmonix doesn't have real absolute control over 'em.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Ugh...so I finally had a chance to try my PDP drums and I'm getting double hits on the green pad. Hmph...is there any DIY solution?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    All right. So I've actually started looking at where to buy this game, and read some articles and saw some videos, and I'm just as confused as before I started.

For starters, what is this Rock Band Rivals thing? It appears to be an expansion for RB4, but if I'm reading correctly if you buy Rivals you get RB4 too- is that right? So I don't have to buy them separately?

What's the current state of the character creator? I've read that it's worse than RB2/3, and that there's supposed to be updates, but I can't find anything recent/current on the topic. Creating our characters was a big draw for myself and my family when we played RB2/3, so it's disappointing to hear that the latest version doesn't live up to it.

Also, since I still haven't seen anything concrete on this, do I need a PS Plus membership to be able to purchase and download songs? I'm assuming I do need one if I intend to play with others online.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Rock Band Rivals is indeed an expansion to RB4. It introduces some new campaign stuff and gets you forthcoming feature updates like online MP. You'll want to get anything that's billed as being Rock Band 4 Plus Rivals expansion, like this or this.

Can't really speak much to the character creator, it's just not part of the game that I dig into.

You do not need PS Plus to buy DLC -- you would need it for online MP if you wanted to do that, once the mode is added to the game later this month.

edited January 2017
    Rock Band 4 is the base game.
    Rivals is an expansion. It adds a lot of online competitive support (asynchronous right now, synchronous later. It also adds a much better Campaign/rockumentary mode.

Rivals IS optional. If you just want to play music you don't need it, but I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

There are still "Just Vanilla RB4" bundles in the wild, and all the Rivals bundles will include the base game as well. The way I'd look at it is: Rivals sells for $30 by itself. If you can get a Vanilla RB4 bundle for more than $30 cheaper, go for it. If you'd save less than $30, it's not worth it.

Character creator is worse than 2/3. There are no body styles to choose from except for Masculine/Feminine, fewer face options. It has gotten better, but it's not even close. It sucks, but I've gotten over it.

You shouldn't need PS plus to buy DLC.

Perrsun on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Rivals is indeed an expansion to the original RB4. For (US)$30 you can buy and download the digital version for your console of choice. But, this is only helpful for people who have already purchased RB4 in some capacity already.

However, GameStop is still selling the Rivals Guitar Bundle for (US)$40 (check availability) which has the added benefit of getting what is considered the better made guitar controller for RB4. You can also get full band kits that include Rivals and the Jaguar controller.

Thank you! Much appreciated.

I noticed that the band kit has drums, and there's a separate thing you can buy that adds the cymbals and I guess makes it a pro drum set. If I have the pro drum set from RB3 already, am I gaining anything by purchasing the RB4 drums and cymbals?

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    There are no new features on the RB4 set, so if your RB3 set is working well there is no reason to switch.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    But you will need the legacy adapter to use them.

But you will need the legacy adapter to use them.

I think that's only on the Xbox.

Yeah on PS4 you can even use RB1 instruments directly.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Great- thanks again! Now to find a Gamestop that has that bundle that's also near me...

Another HMXband track coming in the January update if you own Rivals

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    C
    Gotcha. Don't kick anyone on my account, but if someone else has a crew they'd like a decent guitar/bass and not great drummer/singer player for, let me know. My Xbox live is the same as my forum handle.

I just started too! Let us team up and lame it out. How about... "All-Arcadian Rejects"? ;D

@Dark Raven X It's set up!

Anyone out there that maybe isn't super great at the game but would like an excuse to bust out plastic instruments every week or so? Send me a message here or on Xbox (same name either way), or put in an application to All-Arcadian Rejects. If your name is different on Xbox than on here, let me know who you are.

SrUxdlb.jpg
    I tried so hard
    And got so far
    But in the end
    I bought the Linkin Park pack.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    oh this week's challenge songs are so much better. I have a shitton of them and a lot of them are easy gold stars.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    So I got the Rivals bundle. They do not make it easy to get the songs you've already purchased before, do they?

Is there some easy way to do that? I haven't been able to figure out a way other than going through the game store, finding the "free" stuff, adding to wishlist... Then "purchasing" each song, one at a time. (I'm not talking about exporting the previous games' libraries, I did that already.)

Also, I don't know if I botched something, but I added some songs to the wishlist (ones I've bought before), but they're still in the wishlist after "purchase" and they're not in my library to actually play. Any ideas how to fix that?

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    So I got the Rivals bundle. They do not make it easy to get the songs you've already purchased before, do they?

Is there some easy way to do that? I haven't been able to figure out a way other than going through the game store, finding the "free" stuff, adding to wishlist... Then "purchasing" each song, one at a time. (I'm not talking about exporting the previous games' libraries, I did that already.)

Also, I don't know if I botched something, but I added some songs to the wishlist (ones I've bought before), but they're still in the wishlist after "purchase" and they're not in my library to actually play. Any ideas how to fix that?

Which system are you on?

Which system are you on?

I probably should've mentioned that huh. PS4.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Which system are you on?

Use the PSN website.

It will let you start downloads to your PS4 and while it's still kind of clunky it's vastly better than trying to use the store on your console or the in-game store.

Like I literally spent hours trying to mess with it on my console and while it still took a solid hour to go through all the songs and get all my stuff downloaded via the website it was much less frustrating and an hour was way better than the three I'd spent on my couch and only managed to get from "A" through "N"

Which system are you on?

Use the PSN website.

It will let you start downloads to your PS4 and while it's still kind of clunky it's vastly better than trying to use the store on your console or the in-game store.

Like I literally spent hours trying to mess with it on my console and while it still took a solid hour to go through all the songs and get all my stuff downloaded via the website it was much less frustrating and an hour was way better than the three I'd spent on my couch and only managed to get from "A" through "N"

I had trouble finding where to start on the website. Is it me or is this all just not very intuitive/user-friendly?

I think I got them all, though. Kinda wish once you buy/download something that's on your wishlist, it removes itself from your wishlist. I'm still not 100% sure I got all the songs I'd purchased before (and some appear to no longer be available).

Thank you for the suggestion, though! As you said it's less painful than doing it from the console.

Download PSDLE for Chrome. That way you can queue up everything easily.

Download PSDLE for Chrome. That way you can queue up everything easily.

What does this do, exactly? (Sorry, I'm @ work and can't see everything when I Google'd that.)

It's just a Chrome extension that turns your download history in a list that doesn't span pages. Also, it includes filters. In this case, you'd only filter PS3 DLC and sort it by date and boom. There you go. It's also pretty light unlike the regular store page.

It's just a Chrome extension that turns your download history in a list that doesn't span pages. Also, it includes filters. In this case, you'd only filter PS3 DLC and sort it by date and boom. There you go. It's also pretty light unlike the regular store page.

Oh, I see. I'm assuming you have to give it your PSN login info?

edited January 2017
    Just uses the info rendered by the browser

FyreWulff on
    Did the RB1 tracks get fixed on the import into RB4?

You mean the weird fucking sound issue they had in RB3? Yeah, that's gone in RB4.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same thing. Cool.

edited January 2017
    It was annoying as fuck.

anyway, first deets are up on online.

http://harmonixmusic.com/blog/the-ins-and-outs-of-online-quickplay-rivals-first-major-update/

of note, only a single person per console can join an online quickplay session

FyreWulff on
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    of note, only a single person per console can join an online quickplay session

But, why? :sad: