As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Surprisingly I had a decent experience on Kijiji selling my 2009 Impreza in 2014. Only one no show. Got what I wanted. Had a few dumbass questions, but that's par for the course with Kijiji.

Selling anything else on that site though....just ugh. I actually really like eBay if for no other reason then it puts a set of well defined rules between me and the fucktards out there.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I put my Evo up on autotrader and cars.com

I can't actually remember which one the final buyer came through for though...

I did have to drive it out to Pittsburgh from Jersey to meet the person as they were coming from kentucky or something.

They paid for my plane ticket back though so it worked out well.

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    why didn't you tell me, I'd have traded my 94 Miata and cash for your MS3 :)

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    I didn't know you'd want to give up your Miata for that. Danggggg. Next time!

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    MS3 = Mazdaspeed 3?

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I am doing the carvana thing (and you can all laugh at the fact it looks like either a honda cr-z or a Prius is going to win) but that also means I have carvana referral codes, you get $500 off, I get $100. Shoot me a PM if you are looking!

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    When I was looking at cars a year ago, I felt there was a lot of stratification amongst ebay and CL, in terms of age and price of car being sold. Lots of older cheap stuff on CL, less of that on ebay.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea I wouldn't buy anything probably over 5k or so off of craigslist, for for interesting project cars it can be a gold mine.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Everything I've ever bought off of CL was right around a grand, or less. High being the Subaru at $1500 asking (got it down to $1250) and the current low being the Cub at $200 asking (and that ended up being $160).

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    yeah 'speed3. but I'd rather have a FoST, and might be close to closing a deal on one. just need to find time to go see it.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Lucked into a Golf R with dst as a rental this week.

Pretty nice car.

The ride at lower speeds was much smoother that in the Megane GT or the BMW 4 coupé that I had some other times, and man does this thing go. I only fully realized that when suddenly the warning light for the winter tires at 130m/h turned on.

The baby blue paintjob with carbon mirrors was tiny bit too much for me though.

So I've often wondered, do you people who like to go fast (as the 130mph above) do so only on tracks made for that sort of thing? Or is finding an empty highway always a treat?

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Totally always keep it to the track...

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Track driving is much more fun, but even on a racetrack you're not going to hit high triple digit speeds unless you're driving a hyper exotic or on a major race course.

At my local track, I can hit about 105-110 in the Z06 on the back straight. Haven't run Grattan or Gingerman yet, those have higher straights but I still wouldn't anticipate much above 120.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    First person interested in the Jeep came and looked at it. They have to do a 400+ mile commute twice a week to eastern washington from the coast. They asked "What do you think the biggest issue this jeep could face be?"

I was honest and told them its a 20 year old Jeep that had been stored for a long time at one point. I would expect a gasket or hose to break at this point from drying out. He had a 97 (mine is a 96) and it got totaled in a wreck a couple months back and that is why he wants another Jeep, so I assume he knows the foibles of what an old car can bring.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I would honestly never do 130 on a road. People would be glad to kill themselves and you just to spite you. And we all know that in traffic everyone is just a terrible goose.

Consider how many people just switch lanes without looking and/or without a signal. If you're doing drastically faster than them, they aren't going to see you, and you won't have enough time to react, causing a whole lot of badness.

If you want to go fast in a straight line, there is probably a racetrack with a quarter or full mile you can do it on.
    Or there is autox and other tracks that are better.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    So I've often wondered, do you people who like to go fast (as the 130mph above) do so only on tracks made for that sort of thing? Or is finding an empty highway always a treat?

The correct, upright answer is "the track only".
    The answer none of us want to actually admit to is "sometimes really late at night out in the middle of nowhere..."

I live in atlanta now, so there is no nowhere until you get way out I guess. And yea, the thought of anyone coming up behind me at 130 is terrifying.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'll admit that wasn't the wisest thing and was a really empty stretch of Autobahn. Rest of the way was all cruise control at a much more relaxing pace.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I don't know that I've ever owned a car that could even hit 130mph.

I don't actually know what the top speed of my current Elantra GT even is, but I know that my Dart was electronically limited to 119mph (it was listed in the manual), my Fiero def couldn't do it. Maybe the Camaro could have, but I never quite trusted it to go that fast in any scenario.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    today i almost sleepwalked my way into putting 87 in my tank and it made me wonder if I accidentally did it last time because it was feeling a whee bit sluggish on the freeway today

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I had my GTI in the dealership to have a bunch of different things done, and they found that my front brakes were wearing at different rates. They did whatever they needed to do to fix that, but now my brakes feel terribly mushy, lack any pedal feel, and don't really bite until near the end of the pedal travel. I'm seriously considering take it back and seeing if there's anything they can do.

I'm wondering of they changed the brake fluid but didn't fully bleed the system.

However, they did remove 77,000 miles of carbon from the valves and injectors, and the engine feels incredibly smooth now.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I had my GTI in the dealership to have a bunch of different things done, and they found that my front brakes were wearing at different rates. They did whatever they needed to do to fix that, but now my brakes feel terribly mushy, lack any pedal feel, and don't really bite until near the end of the pedal travel. I'm seriously considering take it back and seeing if there's anything they can do.

I'm wondering of they changed the brake fluid but didn't fully bleed the system.

However, they did remove 77,000 miles of carbon from the valves and injectors, and the engine feels incredibly smooth now.

Sounds like they didn't bleed the brakes. If they were saying the pads were wearing unevenly, I'd imagine they replaced a caliper or two, at least. Take it back and have them bleed the brakes again (it's unsafe)!

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

The answer none of us want to actually admit to is "sometimes really late at night out in the middle of nowhere..."

I was once out in the desert in the ol' Volvo on a dead straight, dead flat, dead empty piece of road.. so I gunned it once. Not sustained, just up and back down to reasonable, just to see what would happen. Otherwise, yea, now that I'm older and wiser I keep it sensible.

One time I was driving out in Montana, and saw nobody for miles upon miles. I set the cruise control at 90.

A little while later, an F150 came by and passed me.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

I was once out in the desert in the ol' Volvo on a dead straight, dead flat, dead empty piece of road.. so I gunned it once. Not sustained, just up and back down to reasonable, just to see what would happen. Otherwise, yea, now that I'm older and wiser I keep it sensible.

I ran out of nerve at 220km/h in my old 200SX on the Kwinana Freeway at about 2 a.m. on a Tuesday morning, from memory. Third gear hit redline at 175!

I've done some incredibly stupid things.

edited January 2017
    I was 18 and incredibly stupid, pinned my 65 mustang, about 130 or so, with other people in the car. We all loved it at the time but now I look back and am all "Goddamn". If I had a kid they wouldn't ever be getting a hopped up car for their first car. Fuck No.

Also honestly after doing the math I almost never speed anymore either, it doesn't save me enough time versus the cost of a ticket. (it took me about 6 speeding tickets to figure this out).

webguy20 on
    I've not had a speeding ticket since that trip across the desert, but handily it was for 130km/h (20 over) not the 220 that the Volvo peaked at. I don't push it anymore either, not worth it.

If there's traffic you can't speed here anyway, cos guaranteed there's some berk doing 10 under in the passing lane.

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    maybe it's just that everyone else's story is not okay enough to share

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The old '85 Jag XJS got me up to what the very jiggly spedo said was 140 before my 17 year old self decided it felt like there needed to be some more downforce on the rear. I'd do that every early AM driving back from my phone jockey job. Occasionally there was a late model Cobra Mustang that would straight line drive between towns with me, they'd pull ahead to start but they were clearly stuck at about 130, so before the next town (about 10 miles of otherwise empty 4 lane highway) I'd catch up at some point. Every time.

Still want to get one of those Jags again some day, but strictly for low speed cruising because it was smooth as hell.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I have certainly done my share of dumb things both in and out of cars.

After spinning out on a track and realising just how much of a passenger you are when things go wrong, I no longer do dumb things on public roads.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    I should do a track day [bro] at some point. Would have to be in the Subie at the moment though, the Alfa would likely blow the diff and the brakes need attention.

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So the guy who is really interested in my jeep is from my hometown and my Mom knows his Wife. :P small freakin' world. Nice to know they are stand up folks though.

Not to be a downer but my mum throws my shit under the bus re: cars all the time. Anyone who is outwardly nice gets a pass. Twice she's walked in to the local shyster with my car and named a price on entry which they of course match. Only happened the second time because I was in Europe and she only told me after the fact.

No-one is a friend when there's serious money on the line

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Hit 145 on my bike and decided I wouldn't do that again. I'm still shocked I survived my teen years given the amount of time I doubled or tripled speed limits on back roads.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Mazda dealers around me have started getting in the 2017 Miata RF. Must... remain... strong...

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Mazda dealers around me have started getting in the 2017 Miata RF. Must... remain... strong...

If it helps, it's apparently quite buffety at speed with the top open and a bit ungainly proportionally.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

If it helps, it's apparently quite buffety at speed with the top open and a bit ungainly proportionally.

But at least it's not the Fiat! Holy shit that thing is hideous...

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I like the look of it personally, but the buffeting is disconcerting

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I live in the Ozark mountains, and what was then I-540 and now is I-49 has a beautiful stretch of road with some of the most gorgeous mountains. When I moved here for school I had a 2000 Dodge Neon, and after one particularly stressful week I left town in the wee hours, and decided to see how fast the engineers at Daimler-Chrysler built that bucket. I chickened out at 115, which had to have been really close to the max speed anyway. I seem to recall the tach starting to bump against the rev limiter. The banking of the highway was no longer sufficient to keep the little FWD that couldn't centered squarely on the road.

On the bike I hit 130, in one of those quintessential bike guy moments of just not really paying attention to the throttle position. Light traffic, early afternoon, I really was lucky I didn't hit someone or that a state trooper wasn't out.

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by the time I bought the Evo, but you'd be wrong. All of 28 years old I went out to the mountains again and kissed 130. The worst was knowing the car had a lot further to go.

This discussion has been closed.