As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The old [Giant Bomb] thread!

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I just watched the second episode of their new series called This Is The Run live.
    It was not the run, but they made it a lot further than I expected. I missed a chunk of gameplay in the middle because I was getting ready for work, but I expected that if they made it to the snow level, that would be where it ended. They made it to the next level! I'll have to watch the whole thing later when they post it.

Contra is a pretty ideal game for this series. I'd like to see them tackle Super C and Contra III as well.

SteevL on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    f
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Nu-Beast and the Saga of Fireboylt:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCd7y-iGDdo

"Boy Fire" is still the bit that kills me

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Somewhat off topic but I was watching some stuff from the Kinda Funny and they apparently have a morning show now? Anyway, the show consisted of them basically loading up stories from Kotaku and a few other sites - literally pulling them up on the screen and reading through them.

Is that...ok? I mean, would Kotaku or site like GB be ok with this? Isn't that kind of like just straight up stealing content?
    I know the fellas talk about news stories on the podcast but they always encourage people to check out the articles themselves, nor are they actively showing them on stream.

Am I being too knee-jerk here?

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Somewhat off topic but I was watching some stuff from the Kinda Funny and they apparently have a morning show now? Anyway, the show consisted of them basically loading up stories from Kotaku and a few other sites - literally pulling them up on the screen and reading through them.

Is that...ok? I mean, would Kotaku or site like GB be ok with this? Isn't that kind of like just straight up stealing content?
    I know the fellas talk about news stories on the podcast but they always encourage people to check out the articles themselves, nor are they actively showing them on stream.

Actual television morning shows have been doing that for decades.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm pretty certain that the Bombcast have quoted chunks of written articles in the past

Fair enough, though I'm not sure that's an apples to apples comparison.

I guess it seems lazy to me at best and kinda shitty to me at worst. That said, I think I'm overreacting to the whole thing.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I mean, when PA did those videos about writing comics, they'd basically load up Kotaku and do something similar for material.

Maybe Kinda Funny should do more than broadcast a screencapture as they skim stories and give the hottest possible takes, but that's kinda expecting a lot from KF.

edit: KF has had a morning show for a while. In fact, I think since the beginning of KF. I think it was to appease the people who liked their stuff at IGN and want to hear them talk about news or something. I think O'Dwyer and Ryckert have been on the show before as guest hosts when one of the hosts is out sick.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I
    Fair enough, though I'm not sure that's an apples to apples comparison.

I guess it seems lazy to me at best and kinda shitty to me at worst. That said, I think I'm overreacting to the whole thing.

I agree that it is sort of lazy to do it live like that instead of having prepared stories/etc to talk about, but I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    Fair enough. I'm likely being overly conservative on the matter.

Regarding them having a morning show, I still think it's new. The show Danny/Dan have been on is the Game Over Greggy Show. The morning show is something else.

Nah, I think the morning show is called Colin and Greg Live or something? It's basically that show you're describing. Dan has guest hosted once or twice. Maybe Danny was on there too?

Google "Colin and Greg Live with Dan Ryckert". Some episode in 2015, I guess.

steam_sig.png

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

I cry no tears for ko"write a 300 word story about a 7 word email posted on a 10 word message board post"taku

It's basically how all blogs work, if you aren't first you just source and rephrase and repost. Ha, I almost misspelled that as "report"

Also this fills that gap where apparently noone under 20 reads and has to have it read to them in a youtube video very slowly and painfully on a bad mic with a ton of filler before and after the content.

steam_sig.png
    Schreier is legit, tho.

steam_sig.png

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Something about the animation style of Has Been Heroes super duper turns me off. The quick snappy movements feels very cheap to me, and the heavy emphasis on 'this is totally a roguelike guys' pushes me away further. Just changing the animation style would make me feel much better about it.

VRXwDW7.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    GBeast crew + Jeff talking about their Switch impressions, live.

I have to watch it in Internet Explorer because their new live stream player doesn't work on the good browsers.

edit: I just had an epiphany. The fat guy in the Switch cowboy game looks like Swedish Jeff Gerstmann, who in turn looks like Jeff Gerstmann. Collusion!

reVerse on
    New player works fine in chrome for me.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Crossposting these in here from @UncleSporky because they're amazing
    reVerse wrote: »

I have to watch it in Internet Explorer because their new live stream player doesn't work on the good browsers.

edit: I just had an epiphany. The fat guy in the Switch cowboy game looks like Swedish Jeff Gerstmann, who in turn looks like Jeff Gerstmann. Collusion!

Anywhere to listen to this now?

SniperGuy on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Crossposting these in here from @UncleSporky because they're amazing
    reVerse wrote: »

Anywhere to listen to this now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_HLB0boGeU

liEt3nH.png
    What a fucking hilarious troll.

Brad uploaded his entire Extra Life stream, barely mentions the game he spent half the day playing in any decks which was Hitman.

steam_sig.png

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/metal-gear-scanlon-rising-part-01/2300-11808/

Oh what's this the first part of MGSR AND THEN ALL THE OTHER VIDEOS TOO.

We Netflix now.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    I don't know why they wouldn't promote this. I guess their schedules didn't really allow it since they probably did it early, and MGR is fairly short anyway.

steam_sig.png

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    True it's a short game and I think Drew selecting easy difficulty was the right way to go.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

When aliens show up, demanding for a human to speak for the worth of humanity else we are destroyed, we'll send SWERY out. And they'll be all, "Yeah, you guys are okay" and peace out.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    That Swery guy, man

what a beautiful, beautiful soul

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Wow. That is literally the last GS personality I actually know. For awhile I (illogically)worried some pencil pusher would merge Giant Bomb into Gamespot to save a few bucks laying off redundant people. Now I'm starting to to wonder of they might merge Gamespot into Giant Bomb instead.

Undead Scottsman on
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    No actual evidence suggests she will, but I'd be really happy to see Mary join the team. She's been a blast every time she's showed up.

No actual evidence suggests she will, but I'd be really happy to see Mary join the team. She's been a blast every time she's showed up.

It's a little early for that if sh's leaving her job already. I doubt Jeff has even gotten to the interview part yet.

Yeah, looking through the replies to that tweet and her replies to those replies, it sounds like we'll find out where she's going in a week or so.

She always works so well with the Bomb crew. It would have been nice to have her on there as a permanent member, but oh well!

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Maybe she can just be a part of Drew's yearly extra life posse with Alexis

Clearly she is going to coach a pro Rocket League team full time.

Latest episode of This Is The Run: Contra features Vinny and Dan talking about quantum physics for the first 10 minutes or so. The comments are full of people writing long screeds about quantum physics, and people complaining that Dan and Vinny don't know what they're talking about.

Aside from all that, though, it's a pretty entertaining video. It's a good feature since it always has a hard end and none have been longer than 30 minutes so far. The ending of this one is pretty good, too.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Latest episode of This Is The Run: Contra features Vinny and Dan talking about quantum physics for the first 10 minutes or so. The comments are full of people writing long screeds about quantum physics, and people complaining that Dan and Vinny don't know what they're talking about.

Which is dumb since they state right out of the gate that they don't really understand it and don't know what they're talking about. Like, sometimes it's okay to just let someone be wrong about something. Nobody's gonna die over them not understanding quantum mechanics, nerds.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

boy
    people sure like quitting from gamespot lately

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Hardtarget wrote: »

boy
    people sure like quitting from gamespot lately

There are definitely less people there than there used to be! I don't even know the names of anyone left.

I see people on the GB forums speculating that it's only a matter of time before Gamespot closes up shop, but it's still a very popular website, right? I don't think it appeals to the Giant Bomb crowd, but I think it still gets a lot of traffic and it wouldn't make sense for it to close down. Of course, I say this without knowing any of the numbers, so who knows...

Yeah, I think Gamespot has a very different demographic than Giant Bomb.

Yeah, I think Gamespot has a very different demographic than Giant Bomb.

I still think some new, clueless executive or accountant is going to come in, see that CBS owns two videogame websites (housed in the same floor of the same building, even!), go WTF? And decide to save some money by merging the two companies and cutting redundant staff.

My original worry was that GB would be considered the "redundant" one, but now I'm wondering if that might wind up being Gamespot's fate.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Isn't Gamespot doing the movies+comics+videogames these days?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
This discussion has been closed.